• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree, shame is a powerful emotion and these people should be ashamed of how complacent they are when they could affect change by voting, yet they act like they're too cool to vote, yet benefit from all that America has to offer.

Shame them for their bad choices and maybe they'll think twice next time.

It's remarkable how well this tactic worked for you up until this point, after all.

Personally I think you're a fucking moron with an absolutely imbecilic attitude to politics that betrays your naivety and pigheadedness. Thankfully, that sentence should have fully convinced you of my case though, right?

If the answer was 'no', might it not be the case that shame doesn't work, and mostly causes people to retrench?

kirblar

https://www.voterstudygroup.org/reports/2016-elections/political-divisions-in-2016-and-beyond

Reposting for this part-

The primary conflict structuring the two parties involves questions of national identity, race, and morality, while the traditional conflict over economics, though still important, is less divisive now than it used to be. This has the potential to reshape the party coalitions.

By making questions of national identity more salient, Donald Trump succeeded in winning over “populists” (socially conservative, economically liberal voters) who had previously voted for Democrats.
The parties are realigning. The GOP is officially the party of White Supremacy now. We aren't going to get back their voters with diet racism, because they have access to the full-blown thing.

It's remarkable how well this tactic worked for you up until this point, after all.

Personally I think you're a fucking moron with an absolutely imbecilic attitude to politics that betrays your naivety and pigheadedness. Thankfully, that sentence should have fully convinced you of my case though, right?

If the answer was 'no', might it not be the case that shame doesn't work, and mostly causes people to retrench?

And your experience with recruiting voters is......

Nice words aren't going to get these kids to start voting. I know because unlike you I actually have experience trying that tactic with these kids.

I don't know if shaming is going to work either, because honestly they are just going to respond by further distancing themselves from politics.

We are literally just better off inducing hypnosis on these kids if we want to actually get them to
Vote.

https://www.voterstudygroup.org/reports/2016-elections/political-divisions-in-2016-and-beyond

Reposting for this part-

The parties are realigning. The GOP is officially the party of White Supremacy now. We aren't going to get back their voters with diet racism, because they have access to the full-blown thing.

Yep. Like I said, the GOP is hesitant to abandon Trump because at this point without Trump's fanbase they are dead as a party.

Hopefully some really rich liberals can start funding studies on what can actually combat a national Southern Strategy.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
And your experience with recruiting voters is......

Quite extensive. I've run in my party's primary and canvassed extensively across multiple elections.

The secret to getting young people to vote is giving them a candidate they like. Although, it's not even really that secret, it's how most people work.

Then... don't win?

The maths doesn't add up. Either you increase the youth turnout, or you persuade Obama-Trump voters to move back. You're insulting both of these sets of voters. So uh...

Off the cuff statements like these that hide behind the word math are pretty corrosive to evidence based discussions. Which is it's own type of insulting.

No, the House votes for the Speaker. The Speaker doesn't even have to be someone in the House.

Which means they could pick this guy anyway!

Off the cuff statements like these that hide behind the word math are pretty corrosive to evidence based discussions. Which is it's own type of insulting.

Also, Crab spelled math wrong. US hegemony is hurt by Trump right now but it'll be a cold day in hell before the Brits try to get me to pluralize my field.

kirblar

PS young people have always sucked at voting, and even when they have higher-than-normal turnout, everyone else still outvotes them!

This is not a new problem.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, it's true. Take a look at the 2018 House seats up for re-election. Try finding a way for Democrats to retake the house without significantly increasing young voter turnout or winning back Obama -> Trump voters. You can't do it!

kirblar is putting forward the statement that you can, to which I say semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Reposting for this part-

Yeah, looking at this graph:

figure2_drutman_e4aabc39aab12644609701bbacdff252.png

Economically, there is a huge disconnect with the Republican Platform and it's voters.
It may be possible to win over some of these voters. But, not if they value social issues more.

Point taken and I agree that that attitude or tactic will make some just retrench, but those aren't the ones that are even remotely flippable anyway, so I'm not talking about them.

kirblar

I mean, it's true. Take a look at the 2018 House seats up for re-election. Try finding a way for Democrats to retake the house without significantly increasing young voter turnout or winning back Obama -> Trump voters. You can't do it!

kirblar is putting forward the statement that you can, to which I say semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit.
Multiple articles have been posted on this - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/...t-for-house-control-is-following-the-sun.html

Darrell Issa, who represents the California coast from southern Orange County to part of La Jolla, is probably the nation's most vulnerable incumbent. That's based on factors that tend to predict which districts are likeliest to be competitive — like the result of his last election (he won by just 1 point) and how the district voted in recent presidential contests.

By the same measures, the 24th-most vulnerable Republican is Dana Rohrabacher, whose district is immediately north of Mr. Issa's — stretching up the Orange County coast from Laguna Beach to Sunset Beach. In between, Ed Royce and Mimi Walters represent the 13th- and 20th-most vulnerable districts.
The competitive districts are mainly suburban, and there are startlingly few competitive working-class districts in the old Rust Belt that are traditionally Democratic but that are held by Republicans. That's due to aggressive Republican gerrymandering in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin. Even in those states, the potential battlegrounds are suburban — including the four Republican-held districts around Philadelphia. All four count among the 31 most plausibly competitive districts.

Quite extensive. I've run in my party's primary and canvassed extensively across multiple elections.

The secret to getting young people to vote is giving them a candidate they like. Although, it's not even really that secret, it's how most people work.

Ok and what is your solution for when they don't get their memetic messiah as their candidate?

Here's your answer:

- increase minority and urban turnout
- psychologically depress the turnout of Trump's fanbase
- Get those who voted third party or didn't vote last year (which is more than just young people)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Point taken and I agree that that attitude or tactic will make some just retrench, but those aren't the ones that are even remotely flippable anyway, so I'm not talking about them.

No, I'm sorry, this is incredible goalpost shifting. Let's say I'm a very flippable young person who is finely balanced 50/50 between not voting/voting Democrat. The day before the ballot, someone I know and heavily associate with the Democratic Party tells me I'm being a fucking pathetic special snowflake and I better vote for them or else. What do you think happened to my likelihood of voting?

So, you didn't win?

Just kidding!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ok and what is your solution for when they don't get their memetic messiah as their candidate?

This is like saying 'what's your solution for getting black people to vote when we've picked a candidate they don't like?'. I don't know, you already went wrong before the question was asked.

pigeon

Banned
No, I'm sorry, this is incredible goalpost shifting. Let's say I'm a very flippable young person who is finely balanced 50/50 between not voting/voting Democrat. The day before the ballot, someone I know and heavily associate with the Democratic Party tells me I'm being a fucking pathetic special snowflake and I better vote for them or else. What do you think happened to my likelihood of voting?

Impossible to judge based on this information, maybe what you needed is some carefully molded constructive criticism to help you make the right call

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Impossible to judge based on this information, maybe what you needed is some carefully molded constructive criticism to help you make the right call

Some carefully moulded constructive criticism might work, yes. "You fucking pathetic special snowflake" is neither careful nor constructive.

Our state is royally fucked from Malloy, that's what. Short of increasing taxes 20%, we are a few years away from insolvency.

If some obviously corrupt idiot like Ted Kennedy Jr. whose just another one of these awful "I care more about using tax dollars to build dumb shit that no one wants than providing basic needs to people", then yes, the Republicans will win.

Like despite all of our problems. Malloy's biggest concern? Spending 300m to renovate the XL center to try and get back the Whalers .. Fuck.

We need a democrat who is distinctly different from the scum who has been running this state into the ground. A Malloy ally has no shot.

Obviously one comment on PoliGAF isn't going to change anyone's mind but the pattern of assuming youngs won't vote -> not giving any policy that appeals to youngs -> bitching about youngs not voting -> assuming youngs won't vote is pretty clearly not a big election winner.

The guy that provoked this discussion said he was anti-war, so which party is he supposed to vote for. The party whose major leadership and recent presidential nominee vocally supported Trump's decision to spend $60m on murdering a few Syrian children?

Spicer was all over the place today. Feel like the press went relatively easy on him.

On communication, he talked about how transparent they are and how helpful they are by having daily press briefings. Yo! There's been one or two a week, that is not daily!

Then he couldn't answer whether Trump agreed with 16 intelligence agencies that Russia interfered because he never asked? You never asked your boss about the Russia cloud that's been following him around since he won the election?

He should just leave because he's clearly done. He makes himself look weak by staying on and taking this "promotion".

kirblar

Obviously one comment on PoliGAF isn't going to change anyone's mind but the pattern of assuming youngs won't vote -> not giving any policy that appeals to youngs -> bitching about youngs not voting -> assuming youngs won't vote is pretty clearly not a big election winner.

The guy that provoked this discussion said he was anti-war, so which party is he supposed to vote for. The party whose major leadership and recent presidential nominee vocally supported Trump's decision to spend $60m on murdering a few Syrian children?
I wasn't aware that children were running around air force runways?

Holy shit at that swing towards fun on recurrent from the GOP. Any chance of winning over that portion is now gone, especially if Harris gets the nomination.

The way to convince young people to vote for us is to make arguments based on game theory about why they should.
I know you mean the mathematical theory, but I'm imagining an illsuited "If you vote for Clinton then SAYS, but that's just a theory, a game Theory!"

What I got from that tweet thread is that those people were anything but 50/50 between not voting/voting Democrat. Like I said, they're complacent as fuck and think they're too cool to vote, even with the specter of Trump in power to motivate them. With that attitude, they are being snowflakes and should be called out as such. They need to grow up and participate in the country they benefit from.

Damn, California has quite a few vulnerable Republicans. If we beat just those four mentioned in Kirblar's article, we'll be one-sixth of the way to reclaiming the House - just from one state. I want a wave but would settle for even a one-seat majority, for which we'd need ~23 or 24 seats.

It's quite possible there might only be single-digit number of Republicans left in California after 2018, and with non-partisan redistricting in the state. Ouch.

pigeon

Banned
It's very hard detecting sarcasm right now. If kirblar had made your post, it would have been entirely serious.

Here's what I would honestly say: I agree that yelling at progressive nonvoters is not the best strategy, but it's also kind of antisocial to yell at a guy having an emotional stress reaction about the collapse of American democracy in a political thread on the internet for being a jerk. Maybe he just needs to express his frustration and get emotional validation for it so that he can do effective phonebanking later. Give him a break. We're closer to a support group than a think tank.

Holmes

It's quite possible there might only be single-digit number of Republicans left in California after 2018, and with non-partisan redistricting in the state. Ouch.
Non-partisan redistricting helped this. The previous map was incumbent friendly, no matter the party.

Kevinroc

Damn, California has quite a few vulnerable Republicans. If we beat just those four mentioned in Kirblar's article, we'll be one-sixth of the way to reclaiming the House - just from one state. I want a wave but would settle for even a one-seat majority, for which we'd need ~23 or 24 seats.

I really don't know why these idiots attached themselves to things like the AHCA. It's like they want to lose their jobs.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Here's what I would honestly say: I agree that yelling at progressive nonvoters is not the best strategy, but it's also kind of antisocial to yell at a guy having an emotional stress reaction about the collapse of American democracy in a political thread on the internet for being a jerk. Maybe he just needs to express his frustration and get emotional validation for it so that he can do effective phonebanking later. Give him a break. We're closer to a support group than a think tank.

That's entirely fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom