• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Seriously, maybe it's cause he no longer has fully functional mental faculties, but you would think him of all people would be able to read the political winds, and be an actual independent actor right now.

If John McCain could read the political winds, he would not have run for president in 2008 or picked Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is a pretty stunning chart I found on twitter dot com

DCxVyXzVYAAGNDR.jpg:large

Might be a dumb question--do we know why? Is this because of Trump making democrats more energized? Because Clinton wasn't a great candidate and that drove down the vote on election day? Because people thought she'd be a shoo-in so they didn't vote on election day?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
2. Strategically I think they could pull it off but if they do, someone is a sketchy race has to vote Yes.

Yeah, which is why I'm still very optimistic about it not passing.

Why would you fall on the sword, for this bill?

If John McCain could read the political winds, he would not have run for president in 2008 or picked Sarah Palin as his running mate.

If you had to choose a single event that changed McCain, it would have been that.

Cruz is a no?

Hmm... wonder what they'll have to give him to get him on their side. Probably something that turns away the others.

Seems like they're losing some ground then. Wasn't it just a couple no/undecided votes literally earlier today?

Yea, I think it was 3 or 4 late last week. This is the first time I've seen Cruz as a no

Ac30

Its fucking unbelievable that so many people are on board for a bill they HAVEN'T READ.

You would think Cruz would vote against it as simply a giant Fuck You to Trump.

Do we know who's *actually* writing the damn thing? I doubt McConnell is sitting alone in his hole writing this

sangreal

a few of those 'no' votes are easy to flip, but its going to be a tight rope for mcconnell since several of them are against it for diametrically opposed reasons

we heard the same kind of stuff coming out before the house vote too. a lot of it is just posturing

Do we know who's *actually* writing the damn thing? I doubt McConnell is sitting alone in his hole writing this

staffers

studyguy

Not gonna bother trying to count votes. If it goes to a vote then we know it passes and like last time this just feels like smoke, they either do or don't. We'll know before next week is out.

Yeah, which is why I'm still very optimistic about it not passing.

Why would you fall on the sword, for this bill?

The republican party is the party of unrestricted capitalism at best and some kind of oligarchy at worst. What could possibly be a higher political priority in that space of opinions than repealing the largest act of wealth redistribution in decades?

I really hope this is correct because I don't want the AHCA to pass, but I don't think I can breathe easy until we have a Dem House.

I'll breathe a little easier when we get to fall. Midterm election season will begin and make them a little more hesitant. An Ossoff win today might move that process forward by a few months.

Too much blame is placed on young people who have always never voted much and will continue to never vote much long into the future. What's more important is to remember that the number of disenfranchised voters far exceeds the number of 'missing' young voters. Who cares if you could get a couple extra thousand student voters here and there when Republicans are shutting down precinct locations, cutting hours, instituting voter ID laws, and making voting as hard as possible to engage in.

The very fact that voting takes place on a non-holiday weekday alone puts Democratic voters at an enormous disadvantage.

Teggy

I imagine Cruz wants nothing less than a straight repeal or a dismantling of Medicaid. He's definitely not coming from the same place as the moderates. Not sure what they could do to get him on board, and I guess that's a good thing, even if it's his complete lack of human decency that's the source.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'll breathe a little easier when we get to fall. Midterm election season will begin and make them a little more hesitant. An Ossoff win today might move that process forward by a few months.

Unless the polls are off by a couple of points against Ossof, a competent politician should note the current wave regardless if he wins.

Tyler's model says seven for now but he's about to add some more variables. Stand by.

Nice callback. ;)

Blader

PSA has Schumer on today. Curious to hear if they ask him about withholding consent, vote-a-ramas, etc.

If you had to choose a single event that changed McCain, it would have been that.

I would've said the 2000 cycle, when he bent the knee after Bush's campaign had launched a racist attack against McCain's daughter during the South Carolina primary.

Quite extensive. I've run in my party's primary and canvassed extensively across multiple elections.

The secret to getting young people to vote is giving them a candidate they like. Although, it's not even really that secret, it's how most people work.
I am once again disappointed this did not lead to a detailed description of these Welsh village fetes you keep alluding to.

Maybe that PPP poll showing him trailing a Generic D by 7 points, combined with Rosen's announcement scared the shit out of Heller.

I've said it before, I think Murkowski is genuinely concerned about the Medicaid cuts to the point that she'll actually vote against it, Alaska in particular gets hit pretty hard by AHCA. I know that's lost on most Republican Senators but if a bill strongly adversely affects your state (even if it's a good bill on balance which AHCA definitely is not, it just hurts other states less) I'd expect any decent representative of their people to vote against it.

I know Democrats stand to gain plenty under an AHCA apocalypse but I'd really rather not. Plus it's easier for the next Dem president to improve ACA or transition to a universal system from there than fucking around cleaning up Trump's mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom