• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I would honestly say: I agree that yelling at progressive nonvoters is not the best strategy, but it's also kind of antisocial to yell at a guy having an emotional stress reaction about the collapse of American democracy in a political thread on the internet for being a jerk. Maybe he just needs to express his frustration and get emotional validation for it so that he can do effective phonebanking later. Give him a break. We're closer to a support group than a think tank.
He was advocating eugenics less than a week ago. Either a great troll or a disgusting person.

NeoXChaos

If you take Susan Collins out there won't be any Republican Senator representing New England. Don't know if that's ever happened before.

This is like saying 'what's your solution for getting black people to vote when we've picked a candidate they don't like?'. I don't know, you already went wrong before the question was asked.

I'm asking because so far it seems that literally your only campaign strategy is "pick the candidate that young people like the most because the rest doesn't matter".

And unless you are suggesting that we literally rig primaries so that the candidate that young people like most always wins, you're gonna need to give an actual strategy.

I’m just trying not to be too stressed about it because I learned everything I needed to learn from the first round: Clinton’s huge swings in suburban districts can be replicated on a down ballot level.

I'm asking because so far it seems that literally your only campaign strategy is "pick the candidate that young people like the most because the rest doesn't matter".

And unless you are suggesting that we literally rig primaries so that the candidate that young people like most always wins, you're gonna need to give an actual strategy.

We always talk about who to "run" on here like we are hand picking them. So this isn't really any different.

And it's not that the rest "doesn't matter", it just matters more than people on here seem to care about. Mook literally said that they lost because they didn't hit the 60% of young voters that they needed.

Young voters are the parties most important demographic, because it includes women, minorities, etc in there as well. Black youth turnout was down and young women were not nearly as high on Hillary as older ones were. So in the future, a candidate that does do better here will sort out a lot of issues that we had last time.

NeoXChaos

Vermont alone would have prevented this for most of the existence of the Republican Party.

I forgot Leahy is literally the first and still only Democrat elected to the Senate from Vermont. Impressive.

Leahy was the first non-Republican Senator from Vermont since 1856. As of 2016, he is the only Democrat ever elected to the Senate from Vermont, and one of only three Democrats to represent Vermont in either house of Congress since the end of the Civil War. However, since 2001, two other Vermont Senators have caucused with the Democrats. Jim Jeffords was elected as a Republican before he switched to become an Independent. His successor, Bernie Sanders was elected as an Independent; he won and then refused the Democratic Party nomination in 2006.

Vermont alone would have prevented this for most of the existence of the Republican Party.

Leahy has also made several cameo appearances in Batman television episodes and films, beginning with an uncredited cameo in Batman Forever (1995).[53][54] He voiced a territorial governor in the Batman: The Animated Series episode "Showdown" (1995), appeared as himself in the film Batman & Robin (1997), and appeared twice in the Dark Knight Trilogy as a Wayne Enterprises board member. In The Dark Knight (2008), he tells the Joker "We're not intimidated by thugs", to which the Joker replies, "You know, you remind me of my father. I hated my father."[55] In The Dark Knight Rises (2012), he defended the legacy of the Wayne family against attempts to usurp the company by industrialist John Daggett.[56] Leahy also appeared in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, playing Senator Purrington, in a scene set during a senate hearing which is subsequently destroyed by an explosion.[57]

All royalties and fees from Leahy's roles are donated to charities, primarily the Kellogg-Hubbard library in Vermont where he read comic books as a child.

Wow, that's cool

This seems like an appropriate take for someone that thinks Ossoff hasn't generated excitement because the only way you can do that is by supporting Bernie policies.

You don't need to support "Bernie policies" exactly to generate young voters.

But politicians who acknowledge the fact that young people can't afford a home, have children, facing a drying up job market and will likely work a shitty retail job or at some chain restaurant, can't afford a decent healthcare plan or pay off their student loans and provide solutions to these problems to the imminent bleak and depressing future of their generation are the ones most likely to drive out turnout for them. Regardless of what the solutions are, sell them a plan and have a reason for them to actually be hopeful because as of now there isn't a reason to be.

I forgot Leahy is literally the first and still only Democrat elected to the Senate from Vermont. Impressive.

At the presidential level, Vermont didn't go Democratic until LBJ in 1964, and after that not again until 1992. Prior to that they always voted Republican (and Whig before that). They even supported Alf Landon. They were one of two states to stick with Taft in 1912's three-way race. You couldn't come up with a more reliably Republican state.

That's not advocating for eugenics. He didn't claim that rural people are genetically inferior. He said that we should stop trying to help the rural voters who at this point have shown they would rather harm themselves than see minorities being helped at all.
Thinking that an entire population of people are too stupid to help themselves and should just die off is literally eugenics.

As we all know, innocent people don't need lawyers.

(Everyone ideally wants a lawyer, but getting one after calling the Investigation hogwash is such great hypocrisy)

That post stinks, but it's not "advocating eugenics", c'mon. Wanting rural communities to die as an institution because they tend to give people with regressive social views disproportionate power thanks to a shitty relic of an electoral system is not equivalent to wanting the people in those communities to die.

That's basically a snarky version of a kirblar post. He would have met the same fate as pigeon obliquely wishing ill on that one Trump dude if he had actually been advocating what you are claiming.

Edit: Moreover, eugenics has "genes" in the name for a reason, breh. The "Bell Curve" nuts who think black people are inherently intellectually inferior and should be left to their own misfortunes instead of white and Asian people "wasting money" trying to help them with social policy are the actual modern-day equivalent of eugenicists.

Thinking that an entire population of people are too stupid to help themselves and should just die off is literally eugenics.

Except he didn't say they were too stupid. He said that most of them are too dogmatic in their stubborn refusal to take in facts they don't like.

He isn't saying that they are physically incapable of learning, but instead is saying that they are actively REFUSING to learn.

But politicians who acknowledge the fact that young people can't afford a home, have children, facing a drying up job market and will likely work a shitty retail job or at some chain restaurant, can't afford a decent healthcare plan or pay off their student loans and provide solutions to these problems to the imminent bleak and depressing future of their generation are the ones most likely to drive out turnout for them. Regardless of what the solutions are, sell them a plan and have a reason for them to actually be hopeful because as of now there isn't a reason to be.

Sure, and I'd say Ossoff has done some of that.

Macho Madness seemed to think that Democrats have to support Bernie's policies (whatever those are) to make people excited to vote.

Actively doing something to help them die is eugenics (GOP AHCA? [even that's a stretch]), leaving them to do it to themselves because of their ignorance or stubbornness is survival of the fittest, or just migration patterns over time. #hookedoneugenics

Sure, and I'd say Ossoff has done some of that.

Macho Madness seemed to think that Democrats have to support Bernie's policies (whatever those are) to make people excited to vote.
I said the Democratic base is largely for them, and so it might be good to run on them. I didn't say it was the only way to win, just that it might help.

I'll tell you what. If you can name a district/county/area where the best way for Democrats to win is to drive up the College Student vote, I will agree that Dems should try that strategy for that area.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Fucking McCain. Why can't you have a backbone.

Arizona Republican John McCain, asked whether he’s seen the bill, said, "No, nor have I met any American that has. I’m sure the Russians have been able to hack in and gotten most of it."

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...-haven-t-seen-their-secret-health-bill-either

Seriously, maybe it's cause he no longer has fully functional mental faculties, but you would think him of all people would be able to read the political winds, and be an actual independent actor right now.

Another explanation; He plans to retire and no longer gives a fuck, but still has more loyalty to the GOP, than the voters who have continued to re-elect him.

Not sure which option is more pathetic and sad.

I mean I generally took posts cheering on rural areas dying to be about people migrating to urban/suburban areas, not about people literally dying. Now I think such sentiment is kind of oversimplifying a complex issue, but it's not advocating eugenics.

Topher Spiro‏Verified account @TopherSpiro 11m11 minutes ago

Topher Spiro Retweeted Philip Klein
I'm hearing at least 7 no's coming out of the lunch: Capito, Collins, Cruz, Lee, Murkowski, Paul, Sasse. Heller, Cassidy, Portman undecided.

Sasse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom