• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nate Cohn‏Verified account
@Nate_Cohn

The mail vote is going to throw people off. It's quite D, reports late and it's tough to tell if it's in if you're not looking at right data

Something to keep in mind since everyone is expecting a very close race.

chadskin

Ossoff is going to lose by 1 vote - his own!

peter-griffin-laugh.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
New York Times: C.I.A. Feared Flynn Could Be Blackmailed, but Its Director Told Him Secrets
WASHINGTON — Senior officials across the government became convinced in January that the incoming national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, had become vulnerable to Russian blackmail.

At the F.B.I., the C.I.A., the Justice Department and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence — agencies responsible for keeping American secrets safe from foreign spies — career officials agreed that Mr. Flynn represented an urgent problem.

Yet nearly every day for three weeks, the new C.I.A. director, Mike Pompeo, sat in the Oval Office and briefed President Trump on the nation’s most sensitive intelligence — with Mr. Flynn listening. Mr. Pompeo has not said whether C.I.A. officials left him in the dark about their views of Mr. Flynn, but one administration official said Mr. Pompeo did not share any concerns about Mr. Flynn with the president.

The episode highlights another remarkable aspect of Mr. Flynn’s stormy 25-day tenure in the White House: He sat atop a national security apparatus that churned ahead, despite its own conclusion that he was at risk of being compromised by a hostile foreign power.
Mr. Pompeo sidestepped questions from senators last month about his handling of the information about Mr. Flynn, declining to say whether he knew about his own agency’s concerns. “I can’t answer yes or no,” he said. “I regret that I’m unable to do so.” His words frustrated Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat and a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

“Either Director Pompeo had no idea what people in the C.I.A. reportedly knew about Michael Flynn, or he knew about the Justice Department’s concerns and continued to discuss America’s secrets with a man vulnerable to blackmail,” Mr. Wyden said in a statement. “I believe Director Pompeo owes the public an explanation.”

Washington Post: Trump’s pick for the No. 2 Pentagon job faces tough questions during confirmation hearing
President Trump’s choice to take the No. 2 job at the Pentagon had a rocky confirmation hearing Tuesday, with Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.) at one point threatening to withhold his nomination from a vote and other lawmakers questioning how he will overcome his lack of experience in the Defense Department.

Patrick M. Shanahan, a vice president at the aerospace company and defense contractor Boeing, who was nominated in March to be deputy defense secretary, also faced questions about how he will manage day-to-day operations in the Pentagon while recusing himself from all decisions with a tie to Boeing. Shanahan has worked for the defense behemoth since 1986, with stints overseeing civilian airliner programs and military equipment.

McCain needled Shanahan early in the hearing about his prepared answer to a question about the U.S. potentially supplying weapons to Ukraine to face Russian-backed separatists. Shanahan wrote that he would have to look at the issue.

“In your questions that were submitted to you, one of the questions was providing the Ukrainians with legal, lethal defense weaponry with which to defend themselves,” McCain said. “Inexplicably, you responded by saying you have to look at the issue. It’s not satisfactory, Mr. Shanahan.”

The nominee, asked whether he wanted to amend his answer, quickly responded that he supported the idea. But McCain continued his line of questioning, saying he found Shanahan’s answer “very disappointing to me,” especially considering his years of work on weapons programs with Boeing.

“That’s not good enough, Mr. Shanahan,” McCain said. “I’m glad to hear you changed your opinion from what was submitted, but it’s still disturbing to me. It’s still disturbing to me after all these years that you would say that you would have to look at the issue. Have you not been aware of the issue? Have you not been aware of the actions of the Senate Armed Services Committee? Have you not been aware of the thousands of people that have been killed by [Russian President] Vladimir Putin?”

McCain said that if Shanahan chose not to respond directly to a question again, he would not bring his nomination to the committee for a vote. Shanahan responded that he was “very clear” about that.
Why the hell is a Boeing VP the nominee for Deputy Defense Secretary?

And wake me up when McCain makes good on a threat.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
URL="https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/06/20/trumps-pick-for-the-no-2-pentagon-job-faces-tough-questions-during-confirmation-hearing/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_defensehearing-310pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.b53d71818247"]Washington Post: Trump’s pick for the No. 2 Pentagon job faces tough questions during confirmation hearing[/URL]

Why the hell is a Boeing VP the nominee for Deputy Defense Secretary?

And wake me up when McCain makes good on a threat.

My primary guess would be that no one else wanted the job, but also that Trump tapped his crony network.

Ossoff is going to lose by 1 vote - his own!

peter-griffin-laugh.gif
One of my biggest regrets in life... I once lost 4th grade class president cause I didn’t vote for myself. It was a public vote and the candidates got to vote first for some reason; so I thought not voting for me would look magnanimous or some shit... the vote was a tie and I lost the runoff. :-/

Pryce

Having a district look that much like Texas is just wrong.

We really need to get the courts to rule that districts can't look like states. Maybe get Jason Kander to promote the idea.

We should get a state, like Wyoming, to re-create their state into 50 districts that are each shaped like the other states.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
One of my biggest regrets in life... I once lost 4th grade class president cause I didn’t vote for myself. It was a public vote and the candidates got to vote first for some reason; so I thought not voting for me would look magnanimous or some shit... the vote was a tie and I lost the runoff. :-/
Maybe we should find a way to force every child to experience this once, then they'll truly learn the value of a single vote.

~Kinggi~

Banned
you cant trust voting anymore in this country anyway with all the corrupted bullshit and russia happening. whole thing is pathetic.

@tbonier 2m2 minutes ago
More
Replying to @tbonier
This shows 72k votes cast, below the 80k+ reported, but Ossoff's 48.6% is a few points behind where he'd want to be with early voters.

Not a good start at least, maybe mail votes will make up for it.

At least with in person EV Ossoff is behind is primary vote total in some Fulton counties, have to really hope for a strong mail in for Dems here to compensate.

Looks like the rain was pretty bad.

@StefanTurk
North DeKalb numbers are not where we'd like to see them. Morning was fine, I'm guessing the rain depressed the evening vote. #ga06 #gapol

Oh well. It'll be close.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I can't imagine the Dems winning, Trump's backing probably still carries a lot of weight. His supporters show up.

mo60

In other news Parnell has a 20 point lead right now in SC-5 but I expect him to still lose SC-5 by a significant margin.

In other news Parnell has a 20 point lead right now in SC-5 but I expect him to still lose SC-5 by a significant margin.

SC-5 is better one to see for 2018 too, because it will tell us what will happen in a typical race and not what happens in a race which has had all media attention for 5 months.

I don't think it would've mattered either way tbh.

But yeah. This was exactly my reaction when the EV came in.

Yup, Ossoff is well...boned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom