• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Now? Maybe.

Until this year? I'll need receipts. Because if the right this whole time has been better clued in to liberal politics than the left itself, then we have bigger problems.
She was just a name and a face that they hated.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Now? Maybe.

Until this year? I'll need receipts. Because if the right this whole time has been better clued in to liberal politics than the left itself, then we have bigger problems.

I've been listening for ten years and it has been happening for most of them. If my experience isn't receipt enough, look at the other posts in here.

edit: Cook has SC-5 as R+9, so marginally more red than GA-06. I imagine Trump did better there tho.

Turmp won it by 18.5 points.

Now? Maybe.

What? They nailed Pelosi and House Dems to the stake in 2010 for the ACA. She was legitimately one of the "most hated" politicians in America, and was constantly the target of attack ads for the Tea Party movement to help oust Democrats.

Ah, man, this is gonna be ugly. If we lose this one, that's gonna be the narrative for at least a couple of months. Never mind that it was a long shot to begin with.

Plus, if the totals work out the way it's looking they will, we're looking at a perfect Trumpian hold- same proportion of voters and everything. Means that he gets even more powerful with the GOP and the healthcare bill gets a real shot in the arm.

I don't think it'll be that odd. It's a race nobody knew was even going on with no publicity from either party.

It's actually kind of neat to see, since in 2018 the GOP isn't going to have the resources they had to dump into Handel, so seeing these races where Democrats are doing really, really, really well when money doesn't enter the equations is interesting.

His numbers get worse every time I look at 538, he's losing pretty conclusively now.

As for Pelosi, she's incredibly effective, but I am beginning to wonder if pure stupidity isn't popular enough that we don't need to ask her to step aside after all. There are some seriously dumb people out there, and a lot of them have decided that she's the worst. You see it a bunch on the left too, like that poll Macho posted. Only reason to think that nothing would change with the Dems in charge is if you're a titanic moron, but we apparently have a lot of those, so we should probably start working around it now.

royalan

The Right has been demonizing Pelosi for years, especially on Fox News.

But if we give into this.

Then we will NEVER beat this.

At some point we need to stand up and tell the right to shove it up their ass.

Because we cannot throw overboard every credible politician on the left that they choose to target.

We have got to be stronger than this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ah, man, this is gonna be ugly. If we lose this one, that's gonna be the narrative for at least a couple of months. Never mind that it was a long shot to begin with.

Plus, if the totals work out the way it's looking they will, we're looking at a perfect Trumpian hold- same proportion of voters and everything. Means that he gets even more powerful with the GOP and the healthcare bill gets a real shot in the arm.

His numbers get worse every time I look at 538, he's losing pretty conclusively now.

As for Pelosi, she's incredibly effective, but I am beginning to wonder if pure stupidity isn't popular enough that we don't need to ask her to step aside after all. There are some seriously dumb people out there, and a lot of them have decided that she's the worst. You see it a bunch on the left too, like that poll Macho posted. Only reason to think that nothing would change with the Dems in charge is if you're a titanic moron, but we apparently have a lot of those, so we should probably start working around it now.

Dems need fresh faces all around. I love Biden and would vote for him for president, but even I am now thinking it is time for new leadership across the board.

Blader

YES. I have been raising concerns about vote distribution for months. I think our country is polarized in both politics and living space. There may just be too many democrats condensed in specific spots.
Everyone has been talking about voter distribution for months, but unless there's a plan to physical relocate Dem voters, then there's not really an actionable strategy there.

jonjonaug

Now? Maybe.

Yeah pretty much. The Pelosi hate machine is second only to the Obama and H. Clinton hate machines.

Now? Maybe.

You want proof that the right has been demonizing Pelosi long before this year?

THIS IS FROM 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIlkaFhjxRk

But if we give into this.

Then we will NEVER beat this.

At some point we need to stand up and tell the right to shove it up their ass.

Because we cannot throw overboard every credible politician on the left that they choose to target.

We have got to be stronger than this.

Again, it's not about giving in to republicans. It's about not allowing them to have time to create a boogeyman.

FYI Obama won in 2008, partly because the GOP didn't have enough time to paint him into a boogeyman with more than just hardcore republicans before the 2008 election......because they were too busy attacking Hillary Clinton during those primaries.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think the Congressional Baseball Shooting likely mattered more than Pelosi no matter what

That reminds me, the shooting feels like it didn't get as much attention as it should have warranted. It just kind of died in the media after a few days.

He's outperforming Clinton everywhere. This race was never in a million years even supposed to be this close.

Which is cool and all but I do sort of agree that with the eyes of the world on GA-6, we needed a win tonight to push off a bunch of really bad stuff. And it's looking like that won't go the way we wanted, so...

But, as a lib, her policies also kinda suck...

But, no they don't, you definitely don't know what you're talking about.

If we do move to replace Pelosi it'll be because of Optics(tm), not actual results. I don't think you get to tell yourself that it's the right thing to do from a policy perspective because it's definitely not.

Teggy

Pros on twitter at least seem to be keeping their cool right now due to uncounted mail vote and expected R early in person being more common than day-of from the primary.

Nate Bronze said:
In the 2014 midterms, there were about 210,000 votes cast in Georgia’s 6th District. And in 2016, 310,000 were. By comparison, turnout for this election is expected to be in the range of 250,000 to 275,000. So we’re somewhere in between a midterm-type turnout and a presidential-year turnout.

Decent turnout.

Dems need fresh faces all around. I love Biden and would vote for him for president, but even I am now thinking it is time for new leadership across the board.

Might just be, sadly.

I think disarming the democrats because of right wing built stigma is pathetic. Republicans would never do the same.

Republicans are a lot better at demonization than we are. Not least because their base believes in actual literal demons and actual literal hell and that if they vote for Democrats they'll go there.

Blader

Which is cool and all but I do sort of agree that with the eyes of the world on GA-6, we needed a win tonight to push off a bunch of really bad stuff. And it's looking like that won't go the way we wanted, so...
Ossoff winning or losing means absolutely nothing to AHCA or the rest of the GOP's legislative agenda. If Murkowski and Capito and Portman vote no, it's because of their Medicaid constituents, not GA-6.

Ossoff winning or losing means absolutely nothing to AHCA or the rest of the GOP's legislative agenda. If Murkowski and Capito and Portman vote no, it's because of their Medicaid constituents, not GA-6.

With the AHCA apparently on the margins of victory vs. success (I don't believe the 7 down crap we got that with the House vote and the moderates flipped as soon as they got a fig leaf and media attention died down a little), I'm not prepared to discount anything at this point.

The GOP would be idiots to ignore a 10+ swing in some random district nobody cares about

A 10 point swing that they still won. Scary, but they can tell themselves that it's because of low turnout and lack of funds and bury it.

I think people are just tired of losing and feel the DNC / Dems aren't doing enough.

I think the DNC is doing all that can be expected of them, it's the voters I'm disappointed in.

royalan

FYI Obama won in 2008, partly because the GOP didn't have enough time to paint him into a boogeyman with more than just hardcore republicans before the 2008 election......because they were too busy attacking Hillary Clinton during those primaries.

And partly because the Republican president before him got us into a pointless war and crashed the economy.

We cannot keep looking to repeat 2008.

Bunch of white dudes on the internet saying the problem with progressivism is a woman, not really news

To be fair. I'm not going that route. I don't blame Pelosi at all. But the fact is that the right has turned her into their next pseudo-Hillary for now and if 2008 has taught us anything, it's that our best way to counter that is to just replace her with a charismatic new-blood leader early next year.

And partly because the Republican president before him got us into a pointless war and crashed the economy.

We cannot keep looking to repeat 2008.

I mean yes Bush played a part in Obama doing as well as he did, but my point is that you have a better chance of beating your opponent if you are taking them by surprise.

pigeon

Banned
0. But I donate to the DNC and I helped make calls for him.

Okay, fair enough.

Blaming this on Pelosi is still incredibly dumb. Pelosi has no characteristics other than being the Minority Leader. Somebody is going to be the Minority Leader.

This isn't even, like, hypothetical. Harry Reid left being the Senate Majority Leader last year and was replaced by Chuck Schumer. Conservatives hated Harry Reid. Do they like Chuck Schumer?

clearly this is a sign that the Democratic party is wasting time in resources in places like Georgia when they could be using them in the real new swing state

I'm talking about blue Kansas everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom