• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
DC68aelUQAIlvzG.jpg

GrapeApes

Trump's gonna be fuming. He gets mad when his people make the Time cover. Can't imagine he'll be happy that the guy investigating him is on the cover. This guy is trying to be more famous than me!

Kevinroc

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/877851970626662402

These Medicaid cuts are insidious. Designed to get bigger every year—so, outside window that CBO scores, they asphyxiate the program. 1/

Right now, Medicaid is a guarantee. if you're on Medicaid, you wake up w crushing headache, docs find brain tumor, your care is covered. 2/

If there's a spike in cancer—or say opioid addiction—in your state, federal funds will help cover it all. Trumpcare ends that. 3/

Under Trumpcare, states get a fixed, capped amount of $ per person (diff amt for kids, older adults, etc). If need grows, $ doesn't. 4/

Medical costs have always grown faster than general rate of inflation. Under Senate Trumpcare, Medicaid caps lock to rate of inflation. 5/

Senate Trumpcare means a giant Medicaid cut—and one that gets more vicious every passing year. Even worse during health crises. 6/

State budgets will be crushed by a vise. As Federal Medicaid $ disappear, they'll slash schools, roads, public safety to fill the hole 7/

Trumpcare won't just devastate health care. Everything your state government does is in danger. 8/

Rural hospitals will literally close. Class sizes will rise. The only people who benefit: the wealthy who get a tax cut. 9/

Senate Trumpcare is worse than House Trumpcare. And House Trumpcare was horrible. 10/

The bill will be release today. Every Senator who has publicly refused to take a position until the bill's out is now on the spot. CALL. 11/

Go to your local Senate office TODAY and ask for a meeting to register your concern. Can't get one? Protest outside. 12/

If you're in PA, 24-hour vigils are planned outside of every one of Sen Toomey's state offices. Join them! Elsewhere? Start your own! 13/

Senators fly back to their states today. Come to DCA this afternoon to protest them as they leave. @TopherSpiro will post details soon 14/

The only way Trumpcare dies now is if there's an absolute political firestorm. It's on a knife's edge. Push it into oblivion. Go! Go!

/end

Diablos

Wow not only are those Medicaid cuts horrible but they seep into other things and make them worse too... I fucking hate Republicans

jufonuk

not tag worthy
currently reading this now. finding it rather "what the what?"

7 Secret (And Stupid) Rules For Working For President Trump
http://www.cracked.com/article_24907_7-secret-and-stupid-rules-working-president-trump.html

According to a Politico interview with former campaign staffers, the key is constant praise, not unlike how you might tell your dog that he's a good boy for resisting the urge to eat out of the garbage.

Other techniques for keeping Trump happy have included hanging a map displaying his electoral victory in the West Wing, giving the whole place an eery vibe of "high school quarterback showing off his trophies while his adult life falls apart around him."

As of June 4th, Trump has taken 24 trips to golf courses during his presidency, or about four times as many as the average retired dad in the same timespan. Now, being president is a stressful job that needs some downtime, and golf can have political or diplomatic benefits if done with the right people. It's like masturbation for presidents -- everyone does it, and there's no shame in admitting it. But considering that Trump both frequently slammed Obama for his time on the links and swore that if he were elected he would be too busy to ever golf, the optics are not suuuper great.

jmdajr

https://nyti.ms/2tMRKXo

This is a great editorial from Ross Douthat on a survey about voter sentiment across economic and social issues. (Figure 2 of the survey)

It divided American voter sentiment into four different quadrants:

Socially liberal/economically conservative
Socially conservative/economically liberal
Socially liberal/economically liberal
Socially conservative/economically conservative

Essentially all the democratic voters are crowded in Socially liberal/economically liberal spectrum.So, it speaks to the fact that the Democratic base is fairly ideologically homogeneous.

However, Republicans won a lot of the votes in the socially conservative/economically conservative and socially conservative/economically liberal demographics. A lot of the Obama voters were in the socially conservative/economically liberal demographic.

Rather interestingly a lot of the third party voters resided in the socially liberal/economically conservative bracket. It was also the most sparsely populated bracket there. Essentially these are libertarians, and people like Evan McMullin.
Hmmmmm

edit: I like the part of how this was a chance for the GOP to become less fiscally conservative since many such people vote for Trump, but the Orange Troll is such a disaster it won't happen.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Talking with a heavily religious coworker and damn that pro life sentiment is really strong. He brushed off any argument I had on women's health with life shouldn't be murdered then just went off on religious tangents about crap like Hitler would have been forgiven if he really repented. And we were born from god then the world is dying and all of us will go to a new earth once this one dies thanks to Abraham or something.

First time I've talked to someone like that and I just gave up since he would just keep going off on long winded religious stories as his only argument.

Talking with a heavily religious coworker and damn that pro life sentiment is really strong. He brushed off any argument I had on woman's health with life shouldn't be murdered then just went off on religious tangents about crap like Hitler would have been forgiven if he really repented. And we were born from god then the world is dying and all of us will go to a new earth once this one dies thanks to Abraham or something.

First time I've talked to someone like that and I just gave up since he would just keep going off on long winded religious stories as his only argument.

Which makes me wonder about the abortion stuff in the Senate bill.

McConnell is kind of stuck with that though, as it was already warned that it wouldn't pass reconciliation with abortion funding removed. So he either ignores the parliamentary (effectively ending the filibuster), or doesn't include the abortion funding cut. He appears to have decided the latter.

I honestly don't know if those are press releases or tweets. What a world we live in.

They're tweets, but just because they're tweets doesn't mean it shouldn't be taking seriously.

The point is to ridicule his twitter feed as some sort of alternative form of communication. It's not.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Talking with a heavily religious coworker and damn that pro life sentiment is really strong. He brushed off any argument I had on women's health with life shouldn't be murdered then just went off on religious tangents about crap like Hitler would have been forgiven if he really repented. And we were born from god then the world is dying and all of us will go to a new earth once this one dies thanks to Abraham or something.

I want you to seriously think about this for a second, setting aside your current opinions.

If you believed that abortion was murder, would you be swayed by somebody telling you that women should be allowed to do it anyway?

I'm extremely pro-choice and so far past it I'd instead say pro-abortion. But liberals in general are so oblivious on this issue it's painful to me.

If you believe abortion is murder that is literally the only thing that matters. There's absolutely nothing irrational about the rest of what they do if you remember they think you are killing people. Women's choice? No, of course not. You don't get to choose to kill.

Rather than telling your co-worker that women should be allowed to murder babies (their understanding) for economic reasons, you should have been making a case for why abortion is not murder. Literally any other argument is a waste of your time.

Hopfrog

Hugh Hewitt is getting a half hour weekend show on MSNBC.

Idiotic. Reading his columns in the Post is bad enough; he is the perfect example of someone that stupid people hold up as a level-headed Republican "moderate" just because he isn't screaming about immigrants and spouting conspiracy theories, but his rationalizing of Trump is so bankrupt, morally and intellectually.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I want you to seriously think about this for a second, setting aside your current opinions.

If you believed that abortion was murder, would you be swayed by somebody telling you that women should be allowed to do it anyway?

I'm extremely pro-choice and so far past it I'd instead say pro-abortion. But liberals in general are so oblivious on this issue it's painful to me.

If you believe abortion is murder that is literally the only thing that matters. There's absolutely nothing irrational about the rest of what they do if you remember they think you are killing people. Women's choice? No, of course not. You don't get to choose to kill.

Rather than telling your co-worker that women should be allowed to murder babies (their understanding) for economic reasons, you should have been making a case for why abortion is not murder. Literally any other argument is a waste of your time.

I attempted to make the point about womens heath and how mothers die trying to abort on their own if access is cut off and yeah did make the economic argument. And failed to make a point for why it isn't murder since he kept saying nope its murder and always will be. I didn't know what to say to that since it I tried something along the lines of how it isn't life yet as a fetus. Didn't think he would care about any scientific argument and I didn't know enough off the top of my head to make that argument.

I also brought up how we shouldn't tell women what they can do with their bodies but he went off on something about how we can't control anything in the universe then some more stories I thought were completely unrelated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom