• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone in the senate really, really hates Medicaid.

I don't really know how this isn't just an outright repeal of Medicaid. There's no way it even survives a decade with these cuts.

Blader

Talking with a heavily religious coworker and damn that pro life sentiment is really strong. He brushed off any argument I had on women's health with life shouldn't be murdered then just went off on religious tangents about crap like Hitler would have been forgiven if he really repented. And we were born from god then the world is dying and all of us will go to a new earth once this one dies thanks to Abraham or something.

First time I've talked to someone like that and I just gave up since he would just keep going off on long winded religious stories as his only argument.

Does this guy even know his own own religion? Granted, I was bad at church as a kid, but I don't remember a single thing about Abraham taking us all to a new world after we die. Like, what?!

https://twitter.com/ap/status/877908240159326208

BREAKING: Trump expresses hope Senate will pass health care plan `with heart,' says he'd welcome Democratic support.

He's sabotaging the bill.

jooblee‏ @jooblee 2m2 minutes ago
More
Replying to @AP
Note: Actual hearts not covered under health care plan.

hehe

Abortion cuts and Planned Parenthood cuts are only for one year?

What? That doesn't even make any sense.

Is this how they got around reconciliation? So what's their plan for next year?

Abortion cuts and Planned Parenthood cuts are only for one year?

What? That doesn't even make any sense.

Is this how they got around reconciliation? So what's their plan for next year?

There is no plan. Their only concern is passing this like they said they would.

Literally does not matter to them what they pass.

Kusagari

These Medicaid cuts seem far worse for their future electoral chances than just fucking over people's healthcare.

Not sure what they're doing.

It begins...

Chuck Todd‏Verified account @chucktodd 5m5 minutes ago

Per solid source: at least 3 GOP sens (perhaps more) plan to announce public opposition to McConnell health bill later today. Developing

These Medicaid cuts seem far worse for their future electoral chances than just fucking over people's healthcare.

Not sure what they're doing.

Maybe banking on a D wave in 2020 that gives Democrats the House and Presidency, but not the Senate?

So they can block any attempts by Democrats to fix it before it explodes, but also place the blame on the Dem president right before the 2022 midterms?

This is a weird bill. McConnell might have made an error here.

studyguy

Don't bet on no votes being announced. If it comes to a vote at all, you know the deal.

Posturing is meaningless, the final vote is literally all that matters.

Rand Paul hated the whole concept, but from a libertarian perspective. I recall Utah's Mike Lee and Wisconsin senator Johnson also expressing frustration with either the bill or the process.

I've always thought Paul was trying to sabotage the AHCA or whatever you call it. He's smart enough to realize that this is going to devastate Kentucky and got ahead of the curve by attacking it from the right.

Three most likely nos when it actually comes to a vote: Collins, Paul, Murkowski

The thing with the house was that last minute additions were fine. There was no strict time line. There was no requirement for a re-score with the CBO. None of that. They could literally add stuff the morning of, and vote hours later.

The senate doesn't move that quickly, and they have more riding on actually getting it done next week.

Late amendments in the final hour would be a lot more difficult for the Senate. If this gets to next Thursday and there are still No holdouts, the bill will be in trouble.

Blader

Maybe banking on a D wave in 2020 that gives Democrats the House and Presidency, but not the Senate?

So they can block any attempts by Democrats to fix it before it explodes, but also place the blame on the Dem president right before the 2022 midterms?

I really don't think anyone in the GOP is looking any further down the road than next year.

Murphy is correct:

Chris Murphy
@ChrisMurphyCT
Doesn't mean McConnell has the votes, but many "no" votes today are just callously propositioning to get to "yes" after meaningless changes.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/877917057689542656

Yep. Just setting the stage for a narrative where "concessions" will be made to "moderate" the bill even more. We've seen this movie already.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
They have so little time before the recess that I'm not entirely sure I buy this as political theater. Adding new concessions at this point is adding time they don't have.

I'm beyond making specific predictions on this, but it's almost as if everyone has forgotten what happened the time before last, when they failed to get the votes.

studyguy

trump-ahca-celebration_main.jpg

pt.2 soon

Kusagari

Murkowski and Collins will look like an absolute joke if they vote for this bill as it exists currently considering past statements.

A lot of this comes down to Paul and if he's seriously as big a no as it seems.

There is no plan. Their only concern is passing this like they said they would.

Literally does not matter to them what they pass.

THIS!

its clear as day if the you read the bill. its all setup so that the news can say.

1. NO MORE MANDATE
2. NO MORE PLANNED PARENTHOOD

blah blah blah.

if you have half a brain and read it though its a fucking disaster of a bill. HOLY SHIT.

Ogodei

Cryin Chuck?

Really?

That's the best he could come up with?

Honestly the nickname makes me furious. This orange-skinned homunculus making fun of a person expressing real, human emotions.

Trump needs to go down hard in 2020 and then go to jail for the rest of his miserable life. Anything less and i'll lose all faith in the universe.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They have so little time before the recess that I'm not entirely sure I buy this as political theater. Adding new concessions at this point is adding time they don't have.

I'm beyond making specific predictions on this, but it's almost as if everyone has forgotten what happened the time before last, when they failed to get the votes.

I'm 99% certain it's theater and this passes.

Mark Murray
@mmurraypolitics
New NBC/WSJ poll on House GOP health-care bill:

Good idea: 16%
Bad idea: 48%

Strongly good idea: 10%
Strongly bad idea: 41%

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/877919115360354304

If democrats don't run on health care as their number one issue in 2018, they're led by morons.

That's what I was thinking as well. There just isn't time for late game tweaks at this point. Not the requirement of an updated CBO estimate before they can even take a vote.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Are we also forgetting the reports that McConnell intended to bring this to a vote regardless of whether he had the votes or not?

tuxfool

Banned

There is no reason that they couldn't have pre-factored the concessions into it. This entire bill has been written in the dark, with next to no oversight, who knows what is in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom