• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

ComputerNerd said:
It's scary how much you guys love wasting your money. Aren't there bills to be paid?
Yeah! Heaven forbid he should put his money where his mouth is. Much better to have empty words and empty gesture.

Kolgar

Tamanon said:
Um....Jonathan Martin is definitely not "the left":lol

Crossed wires; I'd moved on from the teleprompter incident specifically and was speaking more in general.

Fact remains, it's hard to trust anything you hear unless you hear it directly from the person's mouth or see it firsthand.

Edit: The war of words continues. After Obama told his crowd today that McCain and Palin cannot seriously present themselves as agents of change, and that "they must think you're stupid," the McCain campaign fired back about earmarks, saying Obama has received an amount of earmarks worth $1 million for every day he's served.

True or not? Hell if I know.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Kolgar said:
Yes, and I'm sure you would too, being suddenly thrust into the national spotlight with the Republican party's entire 2008 campaign on the line. If she had fucked up even once, one single thing, people on all sides would have pounced and McCain's run would be OVER.

Jesus. We don't know if the teleprompter was working properly. All we have are some people saying it was, and others countering that it wasn't. Both sides lie. It's very interesting how the right is rallying around Palin and the left is bending over backwards to discredit everything about her.
My response was to the poster saying she wasn't using a teleprompter today. I said nothing about the fact of whether she should use a teleprompter or not. I could care less.

Frank the Great said:
By the way, Milton Friedman - the father of libertarian thinking and a huge influence on the Goldwater conservative movement in the Republican party which is still alive today - thought that all roads should be developed by private companies, not the government, and paid for by tolls. If the government building roads is considering communist, then hand me my hammer and sickle baby!

Well, private roads are built better, and are more efficient cost-wise.

You just don't realize the inefficiency of the public road system because it's hidden away in taxes.

AniHawk

ralexand said:
My response was to the poster saying she wasn't using a teleprompter today. I said nothing about the fact of whether she should use a teleprompter or not. I could care less.

You couldn't care less.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ComputerNerd said:
It's scary how much you guys love wasting your money. Aren't there bills to be paid?

See, the thing with us "liberals", is that, we spend our money on the things we need, and then make sure to have enough left for all of the stuff that is less important.

One might call that, I don't know, fiscally responsible?

ComputerNerd said:

You just don't realize the inefficiency of the public road system because it's hidden away in taxes.

Might pointing out any major roads that have been built in the US using private funds?

ralexand said:

She was reading from a script using her index finger.

ComputerNerd said:

WTF??

Can you explain to me the difference between a toll and a tax?

MassiveAttack said:
It's coming. I honestly expect the Biden-Palin debate to be one of the most embarrassing and humiliating spectacles in the entire history of US politics. Just make sure to record it for posterity.

Given how the conventions went, my guess is the Republicans will claim victory, the press won't challenge them on it and public will buy it.

AniHawk said:
What leads you to believe a transformers reference would be anything but terrible?

heh...I like the Transformer idea...but Biden would have to come up with a cool Transformer name for her...like Optimus Lie...or something. :lol

reilo

Also, all of those great roads across Europe, especially in Germany?

Guess what?

THEY ARE BUILT USING TAX PAYERS' MONEY.

Those goddamn evil communists!

monchi-kun said:
oh the irony...being told what to do with one's own money

It was just some advice. I'm not forcing him to do anything.

I've just thought that giving money to political candidates to be a waste of money. I've never given money to a political campaign, and I never will.

No matter how much you give, your money won't make a difference in the outcome of the election.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Kolgar said:
Crossed wires; I'd moved on from the teleprompter incident specifically and was speaking more in general.

Fact remains, it's hard to trust anything you hear unless you hear it directly from the person's mouth or see it firsthand.

Edit: The war of words continues. After Obama told his crowd today that McCain and Palin cannot seriously present themselves as agents of change, and that "they must think you're stupid," the McCain campaign fired back about earmarks, saying Obama has received an amount of earmarks worth $1 million for every day he's served.

True or not? Hell if I know.
The difference is Obama never claimed he was the earmark killer like the republican ticket is claiming.

reilo

ComputerNerd said:

I've just thought that giving money to political candidates to be a waste of money. I've never given money to a political campaign, and I never will.

No matter how much you give, your money won't make a difference in the outcome of the election.

Wait, what?

You are arguing that the $10mil Barack received after Palin gave her speech made no difference? Not to mention the $50mil/mo he's been racking up?

I think you've moved past the point of intellectual dishonesty, to straight up ignorance.

gkryhewy

ComputerNerd said:

This right here is the very definition of ideology trumping reality.

ComputerNerd said:

Well, this is true, but 8 years of W has left our national transportation (rails and roads) infrastructure crumbling, and costing much more to replace than it would have cost to merely repair (I recognize that it's unfair to blame this entirely on W, but his transportation security is just retarded).

Further, it's not true for the reason you think, but because BUILD HIGHWAYS BABY local officials have led to roads and land use being distributed in a wildly inefficient way, resulting in enormous reliance on cheap fuel to keep functioning, and requiring enormous public subsidies in order to maintain.

Still, I'm all for tolls.

numble

Can we forbid any talk about the public financing "issue"?

John McCain is now "forbidden" from taking money since he's received the nomination and now he's taking public financing money. But his website is still accepting contributions, initially they lead you to believe that it will go for the federally allowed Compliance Fund, since one of the first things it says on his donation page is:

"However, federal law allows the McCain-Palin Campaign's Compliance Fund to defray legal and accounting compliance costs and preserve the Campaign's public grant for media, mail, phones, and get-out-the-vote programs. Contributions to McCain-Palin Victory 2008 will go to the Compliance Fund, and to participating party committees for Victory 2008 programs."

But read the fine print and you get this:

"For Individuals- The first $28,500 will go to the RNC, the next portion will be divided evenly between the Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, and Pennsylvania state parties' federal accounts up to a maximum of $9,250 for each Committee, and the final $2,300 will go to the Compliance Fund."

https://secure.donationreport.com/donation.html

So yes, you will be donating to the Compliance Fund, only after you have donated $65,500 to either the RNC or Republican party funds in the battleground states.

The McCain max out point is $70,100. $2,300 primary + $28,500 RNC + $9,250 Michigan Republicans + $9,250 Missouri Republicans + 9,250 Ohio Republicans + 9,250 Pennsylvania Republicans + $2,300 Compliance Fund.

Meanwhile, the Obama donation page is simple:

"An individual may contribute a maximum of $2,300 per election (the primary and general are separate elections). By submitting your contribution, you agree that the first $2,300 is designated for the primary, and any additional amount up to $2,300 is designated for the general election."

The Obama max out point is $4,600. $2,300 primary + $2,300 general.

https://donate.barackobama.com/page/contribute/main

ComputerNerd said:

i dunno man, see there's this group called evangelicals, they had lots of followers with money and they pretty much funneled most of it to the Bush/Cheney campiagn. and, correct me if i'm wrong but...i think they got elected into office.

gkryhewy

monchi-kun said:
i dunno man, see there's this group called evangelicals, they had lots of followers with money and they pretty much funneled most of it to the Bush/Cheney campiagn. and, correct me if i'm wrong but...i think they got elected into office.

Everyone knows that evangelicals give generously to christian charities, supporting the poor and downtrodden around the world in a very christ-like way.

gkrykewy said:
Everyone knows that evangelicals give generously to christian charities, supporting the poor and downtrodden around the world in a very christ-like way.

wow...has a very "community organizer" kind of ring to it

reilo said:
Wait, what?

You are arguing that the $10mil Barack received after Palin gave her speech made no difference? Not to mention the $50mil/mo he's been racking up?

I think you've moved past the point of intellectual dishonesty, to straight up ignorance.

The Seven Phases of Obama:

Shock. "A black guy? In my White House?" (It's more likely than you think)

Denial. "America is too racist to elect him."

Bargaining. "Okay, so what if he did beat Clinton? I'll give you that it was unexpected" (Only one of the most powerful political machines and one of the most fervent support base with huge name cred).

Guilt. "Yeah, I voted for Bush in 2004 (and 2000), but I'm not defending Bush anymore; he pretty much fucked up this country."

Anger. "Who does this Obama guy think he is? Some fucking community organizer; what kind of qualifications is that? And fuck all if he's going to attack Palin! Feh! Politics as usual!"

Depression. "Okay, I admit it, that McCain speech was boring as fuck; I practically fell asleep. And Jesus Christ, can't the guy hire some competent people? Geez, you guys are right...these guys are straight up lying through their teeth. This isn't the conservative party I knew. facepalm.gif"

Acceptance and hope!. "Damn, you guys might just be onto something here..."

I think he's still in the "anger" stage :D pretty soon man, pretty soon.

theviolenthero said:
WTF??

Can you explain to me the difference between a toll and a tax?

Well, for one, with a toll, the people that use the road are the ones that pay for it. With a tax, I'm paying for highway up in San Fransisco that I'll never use.

And two, private enterprises are more concerned where their money is going. Unlike the government, they normally just don't throw around money hoping something will get done. They make sure it gets done, and in the most cost-efficient manner possible.

There's also many areas where different roads will compete. That will keep toll rates in check.

And three, private roads are better kept than public roads.

ComputerNerd said:

I think this is the same argument against voting and it's wrong in both cases.

Zeliard

ComputerNerd said:

You do realize you can substitute "money" for "vote" in that post, yes?

kevm3

Private roads would be more efficient? Maybe for corporations who will be reaping huge profits... But with toll roads all over the place, prepare for tons of traffic jams. No thanks. "Inefficient roads" is something I'm perfectly fine with.

reilo

ComputerNerd said:
Well, for one, with a toll, the people that use the road are the ones that pay for it. With a tax, I'm paying for highway up in San Fransisco that I'll never use.

And two, private enterprises are more concerned where their money is going. Unlike the government, they normally just don't throw around money hoping something will get done. They make sure it gets done, and in the most cost-efficient manner possible.

There's also many areas where different roads will compete. That will keep toll rates in check.

And three, private roads are better kept than public roads.

Oh, right, just like Halliburton spent all their money in the most responsible manner in Iraq when they took on that rebuilding project?

Or Enron, or Worldcom, or Tyco.

You know, those guys always did what was in the best interest of the people they served and their employees.

Corporations never do any wrong, nor do they ever take shortcuts in order to meet their budget.

thekad

Banned
ComputerNerd said:

Where do you think the roads are going?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
numble said:
Can we forbid any talk about the public financing "issue"?

John McCain is now "forbidden" from taking money since he's received the nomination and now he's taking public financing money. But his website is still accepting contributions, initially they lead you to believe that it will go for the federally allowed Compliance Fund, since one of the first things it says on his donation page is:

"However, federal law allows the McCain-Palin Campaign's Compliance Fund to defray legal and accounting compliance costs and preserve the Campaign's public grant for media, mail, phones, and get-out-the-vote programs. Contributions to McCain-Palin Victory 2008 will go to the Compliance Fund, and to participating party committees for Victory 2008 programs."

But read the fine print and you get this:

"For Individuals- The first $28,500 will go to the RNC, the next portion will be divided evenly between the Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, and Pennsylvania state parties' federal accounts up to a maximum of $9,250 for each Committee, and the final $2,300 will go to the Compliance Fund."

https://secure.donationreport.com/donation.html

So yes, you will be donating to the Compliance Fund, only after you have donated $65,500 to either the RNC or Republican party funds in the battleground states.

The McCain max out point is $70,100. $2,300 primary + $28,500 RNC + $9,250 Michigan Republicans + $9,250 Missouri Republicans + 9,250 Ohio Republicans + 9,250 Pennsylvania Republicans + $2,300 Compliance Fund.

Meanwhile, the Obama donation page is simple:

"An individual may contribute a maximum of $2,300 per election (the primary and general are separate elections). By submitting your contribution, you agree that the first $2,300 is designated for the primary, and any additional amount up to $2,300 is designated for the general election."

The Obama max out point is $4,600. $2,300 primary + $2,300 general.

https://donate.barackobama.com/page/contribute/main

:lol .. i called it earlier.. i knew he would find a loophole. :(

if private companies are building roads for public use...won't we need more GOVERNMENT to make sure they're doing it right and not just cost cutting to make a profit?

kevm3 said:
Private roads would be more efficient? Maybe for corporations who will be reaping huge profits... But with toll roads all over the place, prepare for tons of traffic jams. No thanks. "Inefficient roads" is something I'm perfectly fine with.

Personally I wish conservatives would run on more ideas like this. Like getting rid of Social security and such. That way they could be banished to political exile more quickly.

numble

ComputerNerd said:

For every dollar your state sends to DC, here's how much you get back:

District of Columbia $6.64
New Mexico 1.91
Alaska 1.80
West Virginia 1.75
Mississppi 1.70
Alabama 1.64
North Dakota 1.64
Virginia 1.60
Hawaii 1.54
Montana 1.51
Arkansas 1.43
Oklahoma 1.43
South Dakota 1.43
Kentucky 1.41
Louisiana 1.41
Maryland 1.41
Maine 1.36
South Carolina 1.35
Tennessee 1.29
Arizona 1.28
Missouri 1.27
Idaho 1.25
Utah 1.14
Kansas 1.11
Vermont 1.11
Iowa 1.10
North Carolina 1.10
Wyoming 1.09
Pennsylvania 1.07
Nebraska 1.06
Rhode Island 1.03
Ohio 1.02
Florida 1.01

Donor States
Georgia 0.99
Indiana 0.99
Texas 0.98
Oregon 0.97
Washington 0.91
Michigan 0.88
Wisconsin 0.85
Colorado 0.84
New York 0.84
California 0.83
Delaware 0.83
Massachusetts 0.82
Nevada 0.78
Illinois 0.77
Connecticut 0.73
Minnesota 0.73
New Hampshire 0.73
New Jersey 0.63

Zeliard said:
You do realize you can substitute "money" for "vote" in that post, yes?

Well, when you vote, you're not emptying your wallet.

And there are elections that are decided by very few votes. 2000 Florida? What was the separation in that? Just a few hundred votes? Maybe a few thousand? I don't recall. Other elections are closer than that (local ones for example).

mj1108

http://www.jedreport.com/2008/09/new-gop-spin-palins-not-ready.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AV_54517R8

New GOP Spin: Palin's Not Ready

Todd Harris, a GOP strategist who is close to the McCain campaign, says Palin won't be available to the press for about two weeks. His defense? She might make "a mistake."

"If she goes out and makes a mistake, that is something that [voters will] care about, and that's something that will haunt [McCain] for awhile, so I think this is a smart move."

This has got to be one of the craziest messaging decisions ever: Harris is conceding that Palin's not even ready to be a vice presidential candidate, let alone be president.

I just don't see how they can sustain two weeks of keeping Palin in hiding. Every day the McCain campaign keeps her away from reporters just highlights the fact that they don't think she's ready.

This strikes me as a pretty impressive strategic blunder.

reilo

:lol :lol

Daily Show got Ian McShane to narrate the "Reformed Maverick" bit. Awesome.

syllogism

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/06/obama_helps_register_49k_new_v.html

With time running out on its push to register thousands of new voters in Virginia, the Obama campaign is picking up the pace. State election officials told the campaign Friday that 49,000 new voters signed up in August, a sharp increase from the 36,500 who signed up in July and the 28,000 who registered in June.

The campaign had predicted that its August numbers could lag given the difficulty of reaching residents during vacation season. But the August gain puts the Obama campaign very much on track toward its goal of signing up 150,000 new voters by the early October voter registration deadline, on top of the 142,000 new voters who registered during primary season.

Tamanon

Banned
OK, this is insanely cool of Biden

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/06/1358150.aspx

WILMINGTON, Del. -- With Cheney-esque stealth, Biden made a surprise appearance this morning at the Constitutional law class he had been scheduled to teach before his selection as Barack Obama's running mate.

The campaign had not publicly announced Biden's trip to the Widener School of Law this morning. In fact, Biden spokesperson David Wade seemed unaware of it himself until after the fact.

"What???" Wade said in an email when told about Professor Biden's activities. "He needs to tell me this stuff."

It was unclear if any other advisers were informed, but Secret Service did accompany the Delaware senator. A university spokesperson said they had hoped to keep his visit out of the press. Reporters were not allowed in the classroom when they arrived, but did see Biden in his SUV as he left shortly after 11 a.m.

Biden has taught the same class, Topics in Constitutional Law, since 1991. He was scheduled to begin a new semester there on Aug. 23, but had to cancel at last minute and head to Springfield, Ill., for his official unveiling as Obama's running mate.

"We really were surprised to hear the announcement, when the text message went out," said Bob Hayman, Biden's co-professor for the last five years. "Even that morning, even after he was the nominee, we didn't know whether he'd be coming to class or not."

Biden wanted to visit today as an apology of sorts, since he expects to be actively campaigning through Election Day. Hayman said he is hopeful Biden can return after, however.

"We were all thrilled to see that he came this morning," said Christell Hershey, one of the students enrolled in the class. "He's very relaxed with the students and, as you can tell, he enjoys teaching which made it fun for all of us."

Hayman said there was surprisingly little talk of the campaign during the session.

"We talked about separation of powers, we talked about the framers' vision of the Constitution," he said. "I think maybe today was refuge from the campaign for him, to some extent, a time for him to be a teacher again."

Soybean

What the report where that Heritage Foundation graphic comes from? I want to use it, but I can't just post pictures without the corresponding report. Thanks!

numble said:
For every dollar your state sends to DC, here's how much you get back:

District of Columbia $6.64
New Mexico 1.91
Alaska 1.80
West Virginia 1.75
Mississppi 1.70
Alabama 1.64
North Dakota 1.64
Virginia 1.60
Hawaii 1.54
Montana 1.51