• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Shirokun said:
MSNBC talking about the "typical white person" comment again. Why the f*ck is this news worthy when it's obviously being taken out of context?

Someone needs to just ask the newscasters if they get nervous in the situation Obama described.

I would bet they do, whether they admit it or not

nataku

RubxQub said:
Pretty standard Obama speech, but the Richardson endorsement section was kick ass.

The crowd seemd more into it when Richardson was speaking. I'm not sure if it was just because Obama switched mics or what, maybe it didn't catch all the crowd noise.

tanod

when is my burrito
mckmas8808 said:
Those 2 guys look good together. P and VP?

I heard that Richardson was gonna initially support Hillary but when he went to ask her if she wanted to be his VP, she got a little upset for some reason.

Lefty42o

Banned
:lol

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0308/9149.html

Her own campaign acknowledges there is no way that she will finish ahead in pledged delegates. That means the only way she wins is if Democratic superdelegates are ready to risk a backlash of historic proportions from the party’s most reliable constituency.

Unless Clinton is able to at least win the primary popular vote — which also would take nothing less than an electoral miracle — and use that achievement to pressure superdelegates, she has only one scenario for victory. An African-American opponent and his backers would be told that, even though he won the contest with voters, the prize is going to someone else.

People who think that scenario is even remotely likely are living on another planet.

v1cious

Banned
Shirokun said:
MSNBC talking about the "typical white person" comment again. Why the f*ck is this news worthy when it's obviously being taken out of context?

they only talked about it for like a minute, the breach is getting all the attention. :lol

KRS7

032108DailyUpdateGraph1.gif

Wait, didn't many of the media pundits say that Americans were too stupid to understand Obama's speech, and that it may have actually hurt him. As a working-class white male in Ohio, I certainly shouldn't have been receptive of his speech. I hope we can now stop with all this demographics bullshit.

I really wish they weren't going negative in this way, it's crossing that line from policy attack to personal attack. I have a fear of it backfiring on him.

On the other hand, she has been truly duplicitous this campaign. If she wasn't so good about controlling the media, no one calls her on it. They haven't called her on it with the FL MI situation, they've let her slide about her tax reports, they've given her a free pass on. She talks about landing into sniper fire in Kosovo. I'm not quite sure what else could be done if no one calls her on bullshit.

sangreal

electricpirate said:
I really wish they weren't going negative in this way, it's crossing that line from policy attack to personal attack. I have a fear of it backfiring on him.

He was just reading off a poll, and making an argument about electability

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
KRS7 said:
032108DailyUpdateGraph1.gif

Wait, didn't many of the media pundits say that Americans were too stupid to understand Obama's speech, and that it may have actually hurt him. As a working-class white male in Ohio, I certainly shouldn't have been receptive of his speech. I hope we can now stop with all this demographics bullshit.

Other great point by someone on GAF. Why do so many pudits on TV assume that whites in the middle of the country who makes under 50,000, aren't liberal, aren't in college, and are older than 30 years old can't understand the speech by Obama?

And why does the MSM group those people so tightly. That demographic is pretty specific imo.

JCreasy

Lefty42o said:
:lol

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0308/9149.html

Her own campaign acknowledges there is no way that she will finish ahead in pledged delegates. That means the only way she wins is if Democratic superdelegates are ready to risk a backlash of historic proportions from the party’s most reliable constituency.

Unless Clinton is able to at least win the primary popular vote — which also would take nothing less than an electoral miracle — and use that achievement to pressure superdelegates, she has only one scenario for victory. An African-American opponent and his backers would be told that, even though he won the contest with voters, the prize is going to someone else.

People who think that scenario is even remotely likely are living on another planet.

Reading things like this gives me that warm fuzzy feeling :)

gkryhewy

Smiles and Cries said:
it would be better if she dropped out now and endorsed Obama, the dems are really pushing it right now. I fear the GOP will own the GE vote

She would prefer this, so she can run in 2012. It's patently obvious.

syllogism said:
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/03/hillarys_balkan_adventures_par.html

PH2008032002697.jpg

Greeting ceremony, Tuzla military airport, Bosnia, March 25, 1996.

"I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."--Hillary Clinton, speech at George Washington University, March 17, 2008.
So all the posts after this latches on to this pic as if the trip wasn't dangerous because of a little girl and her daughter? Republicans, media and secret service alike came forward and said that it was a dangerous sniping hotspot before regardless. Take the first lady in regard and you have to protect her. If you guys give obama the benefit of the doubt on every accusation, then please give something as simple as over protection in a danger zone to hillary clinton.

gkrykewy said:
She would prefer this, so she can run in 2012. It's patently obvious.
What lead you to believe this? Look, the Clintons isn't this power hungry, evil, mafia type family because her husband was in office. Jesus Christ.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
topsyturvy said:
So all the posts after this latches on to this pic as if the trip wasn't dangerous because of a little girl and her daughter? Republicans, media and secret service alike came forward and said that it was a dangerous sniping hotspot before regardless. Take the first lady in regard and you have to protect her. If you guys give obama the benefit of the doubt on every accusation, then please give something as simple as over protection in a danger zone to hillary clinton.
You're missing the point:

"I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base." -- Hillary Clinton

gkrykewy said:
What I'm saying is that she'd prefer Obama to lose to McCain so that she can run in 2012.

Anybody who is so evil as to want multiple republican Supreme Court appointees as long as their chances of getting elected in four years is boosted, well, they are a great example of what is wrong with American politics

Triumph

Banned
topsyturvy said:
NO SPIN ZONE! NO SPIN ZONE! NO SPIN ZONE!

Ask yourself, how would you be reacting if the shoe was on the other foot and it was Obama? You'd be saying "well this just proves he's all hype and no substance" or some shit like that. So excuse me if I don't necessarily buy into your theory, sir or madam as the case may be.

mckmas8808

topsyturvy said:

You got to be kidding me.

Lefty42o

Banned
topsyturvy said:

What lead you to believe this? Look, the Clintons isn't this power hungry, evil, mafia type family because her husband was in office. Jesus Christ.

maybe you should read the article attached the the pic. and the 100 news stories that were written about that trip and that pic back in 1996.

but no that would be um to logical.

Triumph said:
NO SPIN ZONE! NO SPIN ZONE! NO SPIN ZONE!

Ask yourself, how would you be reacting if the shoe was on the other foot and it was Obama? You'd be saying "well this just proves he's all hype and no substance" or some shit like that. So excuse me if I don't necessarily buy into your theory, sir or madam as the case may be.
but unlike you guys i gave obama the benefit of the doubt, What did anyone of you give hillary?

mckmas8808

Deus Ex Machina said:
… And I thought I had fox news all figured out:

FOX & Friends Anchor Walks Off The Stage Over Obama Dispute
http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=19ba5a61-9510-4da5-abeb-e9a546cdc33a

FOX news: Chris Wallace rails own Network on coverage of Obama racial controversies
http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=b9797761-37d1-4b7d-8d27-d72bb37e5516

Seriously now! What's the problem here? I don't see why people are still making a big deal out of this.

Tamanon

Banned
topsyturvy said:
but unlike you guys i gave obama the benefit of the doubt, What did anyone of you give hillary?

To be fair, the benefit of the doubt was given by the acceptance of her tale originally. The DOUBT occurred when evidence came out to the contrary.

Triumph

Banned
topsyturvy said:
Hillary isn't stupid. If she wins, it will be because she dragged Obama down into the dirt so much that he's not electable to the super delegates. She can't win the nomination with a majority of the pledged delegates, more states won or more of the popular vote. If she does win, it will destroy a young generation's confidence in the political process after they finally got off their asses, not to mention alienating the core Democratic voting bloc: African-Americans.

So, she can't win the nomination through "democratic" means. And if she does win it, she'll pretty much be guaranteed to lose in the general, not to mention torpedo the dems chances of adding to the progress they made in Congress in 2006.

So why is she still in it? To cripple him enough to make him unelectable in the general, giving her an opportunity to run again and win. It's the only answer that fits. Be honest with yourself for a change.

topsyturvy said:

Did you follow the original link and watch the archival video from CBS news?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/rich-n...y-shot-96-no-media-mention-bosnia-sniper-fire

There was no ducking and covering, unless you count bending over to kiss a little girl.

Triumph said:
Hillary isn't stupid. If she wins, it will be because she dragged Obama down into the dirt so much that he's not electable to the super delegates. She can't win the nomination with a majority of the pledged delegates, more states won or more of the popular vote. If she does win, it will destroy a young generation's confidence in the political process after they finally got off their asses, not to mention alienating the core Democratic voting bloc: African-Americans.

So, she can't win the nomination through "democratic" means. And if she does win it, she'll pretty much be guaranteed to lose in the general, not to mention torpedo the dems chances of adding to the progress they made in Congress in 2006.

So why is she still in it? To cripple him enough to make him unelectable in the general, giving her an opportunity to run again and win. It's the only answer that fits. Be honest with yourself for a change.

harSon said:
I gave him props and the benefit of the doubt that he would cream mccain in the GE, that the red phone ad is bullshit, that he would unite the party,etc etc etc....I even quit the hillary defense force for awhile saying that he would win. So whatever.

triumph said:
Be honest with yourself for a change

I thought it was painfully obvious that shes holding out for the convention for some miracle super delegate jump. But your conspiracy theory is nothing new among these parts. :/

JCreasy

topsyturvy said:
So all the posts after this latches on to this pic as if the trip wasn't dangerous because of a little girl and her daughter?

Just wondering if you read the story. But just in case you didnt:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/03/hillarys_balkan_adventures_par.html

Hillary Clinton has been regaling supporters on the campaign trail with hair-raising tales of a trip she made to Bosnia in March 1996. In her retelling, she was sent to places that her husband, President Clinton, could not go because they were "too dangerous." When her account was challenged by one of her traveling companions, the comedian Sinbad, she upped the ante and injected even more drama into the story. In a speech earlier this week, she talked about "landing under sniper fire" and running for safety with "our heads down."

There are numerous problems with Clinton's version of events.
The Facts

As a reporter who visited Bosnia soon after the December 1995 Dayton Peace agreement, I can attest that the physical risks were minimal during this period, particularly at a heavily fortified U.S. Air Force base, such as Tuzla. Contrary to the claims of Hillary Clinton and former Army secretary Togo West, Bosnia was not "too dangerous" a place for President Clinton to visit in early 1996. In fact, the first Clinton to visit the Tuzla Air Force base was not Hillary, but Bill, on January 13, 1996.

Had Hillary Clinton's plane come "under sniper fire" in March 1996, we would certainly have heard about it long before now. Numerous reporters, including the Washington Post's John Pomfret, covered her trip. A review of nearly 100 news accounts of her visit shows that not a single newspaper or television station reported any security threat to the First Lady. "As a former AP wire service hack, I can safely say that it would have been in my lead had anything like that happened," said Pomfret.

According to Pomfret, the Tuzla airport was "one of the safest places in Bosnia" in March 1996, and "firmly under the control" of the 1st Armored Division.

Far from running to an airport building with their heads down, Clinton and her party were greeted on the tarmac by smiling U.S. and Bosnian officials. An eight-year-old Moslem girl, Emina Bicakcic, read a poem in English. An Associated Press photograph of the greeting ceremony, above, shows a smiling Clinton bending down to receive a kiss.

"There is peace now," Emina told Clinton, according to Pomfret's report in the Washington Post the following day, "because Mr. Clinton signed it. All this peace. I love it."

The First Lady's schedule, released on Wednesday and available here, confirms that she arrived in Tuzla at 8.45 a.m. and was greeted by various dignitaries, including Emina Bicakcic, (whose name has mysteriously been redacted from the document.)

You can see CBS News footage of the arrival ceremony here. The footage shows Clinton walking calmly out of the back of the C-17 military transport plane that brought her from Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany.

Among the U.S. officials on hand to greet Clinton at the airport was Maj. Gen. William Nash, the commander of U.S. troops in Bosnia. Nash told me that he was unaware of any security threat to Clinton during her eight-hour stay in Tuzla. He said, however, that Clinton had a "busy schedule" and may have got the impression that she was being hurried on her way.

According to Sinbad, who provided entertainment on the trip along with the singer Sheryl Crow, the "scariest" part was deciding where to eat. As he told Mary Ann Akers of The Post, "I think the only 'red-phone' moment was: 'Do we eat here or at the next place.'" Sinbad questioned the premise behind the Clinton version of events. "What kind of president would say 'Hey man, I can't go 'cause I might get shot so I'm going to send my wife. Oh, and take a guitar player and a comedian with you."

Replying to Sinbad earlier this week, Clinton dismissed him as "a comedian." Her campaign referred me to Togo West, who was also on the trip and is a staunch Hillary supporter. West could not remember "sniper fire" himself, but said there was no reason to doubt the First Lady's version of events. "Everybody's perceptions are different," he told me.

Clinton made no mention of "sniper fire" in her autobiography "Living History," published in 2003, although she did say there were "reports of snipers" in the hills around the airport.
The Pinocchio Test

Clinton's tale of landing at Tuzla airport "under sniper fire" and then running for cover is simply not credible. Photographs and video of the arrival ceremony, combined with contemporaneous news reports, tell a very different story. Four Pinocchios.

KRS7

mckmas8808 said:
Seriously now! What's the problem here? I don't see why people are still making a big deal out of this.

Because it is so easy to do. You can take small snippets from anyone, and without putting them in context, you can make them sound bad. Does anyone actually believe that Obama holds any racial prejudices? He is half white, and was raised in a white household, to believe he thinks all whites are racist is absurd.

The best news is that we are still very far away from the next primary, the media has blown its load on this race issue, and people are getting tired of trying to be offended. I really don't think they can keep this pace for the next 6 weeks.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most Americans do not watch Fox, MSNBC, or CNN. Network news programs like NBC Nightly News and ABC World News each garner several times the viewership of all three 24 hour news networks combined. If anyone watches those cable networks for long periods of time they are bound to get fed up and annoyed.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
topsyturvy said:

i agree.. sinbad is a liar. he probably wasnt even there. why would they send a comedian to such an important political meeting!!?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
topsyturvy said:

Dude. The Dayton agreement was signed in December of 1995.

quadriplegicjon said:
i agree.. sinbad is a liar. he probably wasnt even there. why would they send a comedian to such an important political meeting!!?
Again, your sarcasm is just terrible....just terrible (charles)

EDIT: oh triumph :lol

Triumph

Banned
F. Scott Fitzgerald's Wife said:
They were careless people, Bill and Hillary--they smashed up things and creatures and retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.

Mmmm hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom