• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
APF said:
I wouldn't put too much stock in polls about who will vote for the opposition out of spite; by the time the GE comes along all this bad will, will be gone.

Unless Hilldog steals it at the convention..

harSon

Banned
Tom_Cody said:
McCain was simply being honest when he said that the economy was not his area of expertise, but how can you say Obama is more qualified to deal with the economy (or Hillary for that matter)? I don't think I've ever heard him mentioned as "the economy candidate." Does he have experience in the subject that I don't know about?

I would have definitely been a lot more comfortable with the 'Old Mccain' on the economy. Unfortunately, his current economic plans are a tad bit to similar to the policies pushed by the Bush campaign.

schuelma

harSon said:
I would have definitely been a lot more comfortable with the 'Old Mccain' on the economy. Unfortunately, his economic plans are a tad bit to similar to the policies pushed by the Bush campaign.

Right now they are, as he is trying to consolidate the base. I bet we hear a different tune during the general.

Triumph said:
Yeah, but if you asked them "would you still vote for Hillary Clinton if she won the nomination by subverting the democratic process, winning by superdelegates after she lost the popular vote and delegate count?"

Yeah, I think the answer might be a bit less than 72%.
I highly doubt that, remember there is a 6 months time period between the primary convention and the GE. Also i highly doubt that the media would say that clinton cheated because superdelegates jumped shipped from obama. Thats just crying about nothing.

Also, lets not pretend that african americans doesn't like the clintons. :/

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
topsyturvy said:
I highly doubt that, remember there is a 6 months time period between the primary convention and the GE. Also i highly doubt that the media would say that clinton cheated because superdelegates jumped shipped from obama. Thats just crying about nothing.

Care to explain yourself?

Tom_Cody

harSon said:
I would have definitely been a lot more comfortable with the 'Old Mccain' on the economy. Unfortunately, his economic plans are a tad bit to similar to the policies pushed by the Bush campaign.

That doesn't even make any sense.

What are Obama's qualifications to handle the economy?

harSon

Banned
schuelma said:
Right now they are, as he is trying to consolidate the base. I bet we hear a different tune during the general.

He's been the Republican Nominee for nearly a month and is still preaching the same Bush policies.

Tom_Cody said:

What doesn't make sense? Why would people who find the economy to be the most important issue vote for a candidate that is promising the same policies we have had for the last 7 years.

schuelma

harSon said:
He's been the Republican Nominee for nearly a month and is still preaching the same Bush policies.

Your point? It's not even April

KarishBHR

I actually cannot believe that McCain is leading in polls. If the democrats somehow lose this election I will go apeshit and probably blame it on Hillary.

There is a long time till November though

Tom_Cody said:

None of these candidates are paticularly good about the economy. Each has a few things I like, ie: Obama's infrastructure plan, Hilaries auction for foreclosed houses.

No one is out there talking about how we get lending institutions to be more transparent, how we end predatory lending, or how we can keep home prices reasonable.

Triumph

Banned
topsyturvy said:

Riiiight. They like them so much 92% of African Americans voted against her in Mississippi. Pull your head out of your ass.

schuelma

harSon said:
So your support for a candidate is based on a hunch?

Umm no. First off when did I say I was supporting McCain for sure? Second, I'm simply stating a political reality.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Tom_Cody said:

1) Wants to end the war

2) Voted against the Bush tax cuts

Good enough for me though I admit to being an economic simpleton. McCain, wanting the total opposite of the above 2, makes him seem like one as well. What does Johnny Short Arms wanna do with Social Security?

Still, perhaps he is only saying these things to appease his base and will change his tune come the general. What a maverick.

someone should teach hillary about politics, she says pledged delegates are not permenant for any candidate, she is right, but she forgets to mention that the pledged delegates which are elected in the primaries and caucuses who have won are from the campaigns of thier respective candidacy and hold a loyalty to thier candidate, it not that someone who is a clinton supporter can be elected an obama pledged delegate or vice versa, she really is stupid

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
has this been posted?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/26/roland.martin/index.html

(CNN) -- Its been an interesting week watching folks analyze the outcry over the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's controversial comments, especially when they try to link them to Sen. Barack Obama.

Obama's supporters say it's wrong to associate his views with those of his pastor at Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ.

His opponents say that surely his views are linked with Wright's, including the pastor's praise of Nation of Islam Minister Louis Farrakhan.

Conservative talker Sean Hannity -- who incidentally many have accused of associations with white supremacist Hal Turner, which he denies -- was foaming at the mouth. He called Wright a racist and an anti-Semite, and then said we all should assume Obama is also a racist and an anti-Semite.

Talk about a stretch.

Frankly, it's just not plausible to suggest that you always share the same feelings or views as someone you know.

In remarks to a Pittsburgh newspaper, Sen. Hillary Clinton responded to a question about the Wright controversy by saying: "You don't choose your family, but you choose what church you want to attend."

True. Very true. But there's also some reality that politicians pick and choose who they want to be associated with.

Clinton pressed Obama during a debate this year to repudiate and denounce Farrakhan's unsolicited praise of him at an event the Nation of Islam leader organized for his group in Chicago.

The moderator, NBC's Tim Russert, brought up comments made by Farrakhan 24 years ago in his question to Obama.

Fine, so what do we make of then-President Bill Clinton publicly endorsing the 1995 Million Man March? Who called for that march? Louis Farrakhan. Who was the lead organizer? Louis Farrakhan. Who was the keynote speaker? Louis Farrakhan.

After he was out of the White House, President Clinton also endorsed the Million Man March. Who called for that march? Louis Farrakhan. Who was the lead organizer? Louis Farrakhan. Who was the keynote speaker? Louis Farrakhan.

Did Sen. Clinton privately or publicly rebuke her husband for supporting a man whom she has determined to be hateful and divisive?

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, who is national co-chair of Sen. Clinton's presidential campaign, once stood on stage with Farrakhan in 1997 -- at an event the Times said was "called to promote racial reconciliation after several recent high-profile crimes" -- and praised him for his commitment to ending violence in the black community. Rendell was the mayor of Philadelphia at the time.

According to the April 15, 1997, story in The New York Times, Farrakhan praised Rendell before 3,000 people at the anti-violence rally for ''his courage and strength to rise above emotion and differences that might be between us or our communities.'' Video Roland Martin argues that Obama is not alone in his controversial associations »

According to the Times, Rendell, who is Jewish, commended the Nation of Islam for its emphasis on family values and self-sufficiency.

Must Clinton repudiate and denounce Rendell's past comments and association with Farrakhan?

Former Republican Rep. Jack Kemp is a huge supporter of Sen. John McCain, and he also has a Farrakhan story.

In 1996, when Kemp was the vice presidential running mate of Kansas Sen. Bob Dole, he told reporters that he wanted to meet with Farrakhan and praised his organization's focus on economic empowerment, family values and its pull-yourselves-up-by-the-bootstrap message -- right in line with the GOP talking points. Kemp said he wanted to speak at the Million Man March.

Boy, was he torn apart by Jewish critics, and many in his own party.

Kemp summarily criticized Farrakhan's comments about Jews and whites, but he didn't take his words back. By the way, Hannity pressed every African-American supporter about Farrakhan, but he never got in Kemp's face about his comments. I wonder why?

Must McCain repudiate and denounce Kemp's past comments and association with Farrakhan?

When it comes to homosexuality, no Clinton or Obama supporter should think of criticizing the other campaign's black ministerial supporters because that means most of their own would have to be disassociated from their campaigns.

On CNN's "The Situation Room," Paul Begala mentioned "hateful" things said about gays by the Rev. James Meeks, founder and senior pastor of Salem Baptist Church of Chicago, and an Obama supporter. Meeks has made no bones about his firm opposition to homosexuality (and abortion), which is one of the reasons he's very close to many of the nation's white conservative pastors. (I know him well; I'm a member of Salem).

And then there was the hoopla over gospel singer Donnie McClurkin when the Obama campaign recruited him to take part in a gospel concert tour around South Carolina. McClurkin has preached that homosexuals can be converted to heterosexuals. That set off a firestorm.

But Clinton also has her own issues with anti-gay pastoral supporters.

The Rev. Harold Mayberry, pastor of the First African Methodist Church in Oakland, has voiced for years his opposition to homosexuality. In fact, some have said he has compared homosexuality to thievery.

When Mayberry came out in support of Clinton, her campaign touted his endorsement, sans any mention of his anti-gay rants.

She has also received a $1,000 contribution from Bishop Eddie L. Long of the mega-church New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia, Georgia, who previously led an anti-gay marriage march in Atlanta.

Of course, when it comes to McCain, it wouldn't be a story if his ministerial supporters are anti-gay. It would be news if any of them actually supported homosexuality.

The bottom line: Everyone has an association that is open for scrutiny. Our real focus should be on the candidates and their views on the issues, because one of them will stand before the nation and take the oath of office and swear to uphold and protect the Constitution of the United States.
advertisement

Roland S. Martin is a nationally award-winning journalist and CNN contributor. Martin is studying to receive his master's degree in Christian communications at Louisiana Baptist University. You can read more of his columns at http://www.rolandsmartin.com/.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the writer.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
bob_arctor said:
1) Wants to end the war

2) Voted against the Bush tax cuts

Good enough for me though I admit to being an economic simpleton. McCain, wanting the total opposite of the above 2, makes him seem like one as well. What does Johnny Short Arms wanna do with Social Security?

Still, perhaps he is only saying these things to appease his base and will change his tune come the general. What a maverick.

mccain freaken admitted to knowing nothing about economics. i dont see how obama can lose on that front.

harSon

Banned
schuelma said:
Umm no. First off when did I say I was supporting McCain for sure? Second, I'm simply stating a political reality.

Why would he change his tune during the general election? Wouldn't reverting back to his previous policy stances partially fracture what he worked to consolidate?

schuelma

harSon said:
Why would he change his tune during the general election? Wouldn't reverting back to his previous policy stances partially fracture what he worked to consolidate?

All candidates move towards the center in the general. All of them. Obama will. McCain will.

RubxQub

soul creator said:
oh god, he's asking about religion, lol
What a loaded question.

Can't wait to see this response unfold.

RubxQub

topsyturvy said:
because the only reason hillary is still in this thing is because she feel that she can still win by superdelegates pending states won.
...and you don't think that winning this way is "any big deal"?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
quadriplegicjon said:
mccain freaken admitted to knowing nothing about economics.

When Johnny says this:

"We have incurred a moral responsibility in Iraq. It would be an unconscionable act of betrayal, a stain on our character as a great nation, if we were to walk away from the Iraqi people," McCain said to sustained applause from the several hundred people.

He's only playing to his base. Come the general, he'll change his tune to coincide with the "End This War" base aka 70% of the country. Same with Obama. He's talking withdraw this, pull back that. Come the general, he'll speak of listening to the advice of generals.

Triumph said:
Riiiight. They like them so much 92% of African Americans voted against her in Mississippi. Pull your head out of your ass.
If obama wasn't running, hillary would've ran away with the vote. Like i said, stop kidding yourself as if african americans all of a sudden dislike the clintons.

schuelma

harSon said:
Saying you don't really understand economics is pretty damn close.

Saying he's "not an expert" is not at all the same as "knowing nothng" or "not understanding" it.

harSon

Banned
Water bottle.. :lol

schuelma said:
Saying he's "not an expert" is not at all the same as "knowing nothng" or "not understanding" it.

Him admitting to not being an expert combined with some of the idiotic statements he has made regarding it clearly points to the fact that he is honestly clueless.

Triumph

Banned
topsyturvy said:
If obama wasn't running, hillary would've ran away with the vote. Like i said, stop kidding yourself as if african americans all of a sudden dislike the clintons.
You're really a goddamn moron, you know that? Ugh.

Your hypothesis, if I'm not mistaken, is that after winning the popular vote and the most elected delegates, a minority group in this country that has had a history of disenfranchisement is going to happily show up in November and vote for the person who basically stole the nomination from the candidate they overwhelmingly supported.

DO. YOU. REALLY. BELIEVE. THAT. HORSESHIT.

RubxQub

GhaleonEB said:
He nailed it.
He was fluttering a bit at first, but he picked up his stride and ended it strongly.

Well done.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
topsyturvy said:

Now we're playing the 'if the other candidate wasn't running..' angle? Holy fuck.

How old are you? Seriously, I'm curious.

Triumph

Banned
Slurpy said:
Now we're playing the 'if the other candidate wasn't running..' angle? Holy fuck.

How old are you? Seriously, I'm curious.
Well, he supports Hillary so obviously he's about 8 emotionally.

RubxQub

Triumph said:
Well, he supports Hillary so obviously he's about 8 emotionally.
I think TT is a girl?

Not like it matters :p

Triumph said:
You're really a goddamn moron, you know that? Ugh.

Your hypothesis, if I'm not mistaken, is that after winning the popular vote and the most elected delegates, a minority group in this country that has had a history of disenfranchisement is going to happily show up in November and vote for the person who basically stole the nomination from the candidate they overwhelmingly supported.

DO. YOU. REALLY. BELIEVE. THAT. HORSESHIT.
So tell me this.....

the minority group will

a) not vote come november

b) vote for mccain

c) cry foul for 6 whole months and ignore hillary like the disease and stay home

or

d) riot

all of which every single person here said will happen....which it won't. yea, keep moving those goal posts folks.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PhoenixDark said:
But Obama didn't say that, nor does his policy suggest that. McCain never said he wants to keep the US in Iraq for 100 years, as you at least know

McCain does want us to be in Iraq for 100 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom