• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Why are we arguing about this petty stuff when real news happened today! Lieberman said that McCain is candidate most like JFK!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I guess the Canadian government lied, too, since they said that obama never did anything of the sort. :lol

Defcon7 said:
In my opinion, Obama is just as Guilty as Clinton.

His campaign makes ads like "Clinton will say anything to get elected." He lies about Clinton's positions before the Ohio contest about NAFTA. He misquotes McCain's comments on being in Iraq for 100 years constantly. And the South Carolina race was nothing but mudslinging between the Clintons and Obama. His supporters will just ignore that because Obama's perfect and their eyes and some of it is based in truth (such as Clinton saying anything to get elected).

He lied to the voters about NAFTA, telling them that he will bring changes and if not he'll pull the United States out but tells the Canadian government that it was nothing but political posturing. Thankfully this did not escape Obama. This has effectively screwed him in the Rust Belt states.

And he's just as dirty for ending any prospects of a redo vote in Michigan. But Obama supporters overlook that because he tells the media that he wants Michigan to get seated and in their mind there is some made up rule that says Michigan can't get seated at all apparently and allowing a redo changes some nonexistant rule.

Dude...what the hell?

Tamanon said:
Why are we arguing about this petty stuff when real news happened today! Lieberman said that McCain is candidate most like JFK!
So he's most likely to get shot and, posthumously, to be remembered as a great president even though he wasn't one?

Fuck. I wouldn't want to be that guy.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Hitokage said:
Uh...

Clinton DID support NAFTA.

McCain's quote was overblown but it's no secret he supports the war and both Clinton and Obama used it to drive the anti-war line.

South Carolina was entirely Clinton's camp.

I remember hearing the Canada thing was actually Clinton going through the backchannel but I'm not sure of this.

Michigan's revote is Michigan's problem.

im pretty sure of this.

xbhaskarx

Two endorsements for John McCain.

Howard Dean:

"The real issue is this," Dean said in March 2004, "Who would you rather have in charge of the defense of the United States of America, a group of people who never served a day overseas in their life, or a guy who served his country honorably and has three Purple Hearts and a Silver Star on the battlefields of Vietnam?"

McCain has been awarded the Silver Star, the Legion of Merit, two Bronze Star Medals, a Purple Heart and the Distinguished Flying Cross.

---

Joe Lieberman:

"It's not the Bill Clinton-Al Gore party, which was strong internationalists, strong on defense, pro-trade, pro-reform in our domestic government. It's been effectively taken over by a small group on the left of the party that is protectionist, isolationist and very, very hyper-partisan. So it pains me."

He has endorsed Republican John McCain's presidential bid, and said Sunday that among the three presidential candidates, McCain comes closest to reflecting the legacy of John F. Kennedy.

McCain, he said, is "a reformer, somebody who understands ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country and remembers the other part of the Kennedy inaugural, which said that we will bear any burden, pay any price to assure the survival and sustenance of liberty. That's John McCain."

Clevinger

xbhaskarx said:

Howard Dean:

And that somehow cancels out everything else Dean has stated against a candidate like McCain? A history of service is nice and all, but I don't think it means much when you also now represent most of what is wrong with the country for the past decade.

Cheebs

I am re-reading dreams from my father for the first time since 2004.

It is so hilarious almost in context now. How many presidential candidates use the term motherfucker multiple times in their books and trash girls for being fat? :lol

MightyHedgehog said:
Anyone keeping track of the number of endorsements this month for the two Dems? Seems like Clinton hasn't seen one in, like, forever...
She got a decent amount of supers in PA.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
MightyHedgehog said:
Anyone keeping track of the number of endorsements this month for the two Dems? Seems like Clinton hasn't seen one in, like, forever...

I don't think she has received one since Feb. 4th.

masud

Banned
I'm sorry if you ask someone to address the concerns of American's regarding the length of this bullshit war and the first thing out of your mouth is 'maybe a hundred years' then people have every right to use that quote against him. Regardless of weather he was referring to a Germany/Japan type presence that was not the question asked so his response speaks volumes.

And what does shooting people in your 20's have to do with running a country in your 60's (70's?)? This might have helped back in the day when being led by a warrior was beneficial, but why is this a plus in 2008?

Cheebs

Anyone else notice how Obama seems to keep picking up all the newer senators? Ones who career's began in 2006 when dems picked up like 60390683086 senate seats.

GaimeGuy said:
Obama beat Hillary at better than 2:1 margin in the caucus here on Super Tuesday.
Obama gets most of the Texas caucus delegates

Associated Press

AUSTIN -- Here is the apportionment so far of presidential caucus delegates to the Texas Democratic state convention based on reports from Saturday’s county and senate district conventions. A total of about 7,300 delegates were expected to be selected in this stage of the caucus process, according to the Texas Democratic Party.

These results are from 145 of about 280 conventions. Clinton: 1,509 delegates, or 40 percent Obama: 2,234 delegates, or 60 percent.

Obama led Clinton 59 percent to 41 percent in results reported from conventions held across the state before counting stopped for the night Saturday—the latest stage of a process that prompted frustration and challenges from supporters of both candidates. Obama showed strength later in the count after his rival built a 60-40 edge in Saturday’s initial results.

Results were in from about half of the approximately 280 conventions before the tallying was suspended for the night.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080330_tj_caucus.15d3f956.html

Kaeru

Banned
Cheebs said:

It is so hilarious almost in context now. How many presidential candidates use the term motherfucker multiple times in their books and trash girls for being fat? :lol

She got a decent amount of supers in PA.

Sounds awesome. Got some nice quotes for us?

Loooong NYT article about the problems the GOP faces with the Congressional races this fall. Pretty much the main reason why I don't want Obama to win the nomination.

Kaeru

Banned
Cheebs said:
"Get your hands out of my fries. You ain't my bitch, nigger...buy your own damn fries."

Obama uses the N-word? Calls girls "bitches" and fat? Uses the word motherfucker?

Where can I buy the album? :lol

Seriously though, I have to read up on his works.

Cheebs

Kaeru said:
Obama uses the N-word? Calls girls "bitches" and fat? Uses the word motherfucker?

Where can I buy the album? :lol

Seriously though, I have to read up on his works.
I gotta find the book on cd verision. I am in chapter 4 and he has already used motherfucker at least 3 times. :lol

Edit: Bitch was used on a guy not a girl.

APF

mashoutposse said:
It means that, although they share numerous policy positions, Obama is in a far better position than Clinton to actually institute all of their good ideas in as close to undiluted form as possible.
Except, his policy advisors are already telling us not to expect him fulfilling his promises as advertised, and he's only going to move further to the center in the GE. Plus, if he actually does follow through on gaining consensus with / bringing in Republicans in peace harmony and unity under Obama, then by definition he'll have to water down what he's proposing at this point. Hillary on the other hand will rule with an iron fist, slay all who oppose her, powder their bones into dust, and feast on their entrails.

Cheebs said:

Misogynist confirmed. :(

XxenobladerxX said:
Ouch.. Its not fun to see anyone get booed. Not even bush. I feel kind of sorry for him.
incorrect.jpg

Cheebs said:
to be fair there is no town more democrat controlled than DC. Something like 90% of DC is democrats.

Because everybody that attends a Nationals game must live in DC.

The folks who are living inside DC city limits are those who are actually less capable of attending a opening day baseball game.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
APF said:
Except, his policy advisors are already telling us not to expect him fulfilling his promises as advertised
Show me this.

RubxQub said:
Show me this.

He's referring to Samantha Powers. It's really no point arguing about it. Even if you present the facts and a rational response it won't matter. Some people just like to hear themselves talk...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
maximum360 said:
He's referring to Samantha Powers. It's really no point arguing about it. Even if you present the facts and a rational response it won't matter. Some people just like to hear themselves talk...
yeah, if I recall, it was something along the lines of "Of course he can't say he'll do exactly what he says; He'll have to leave open the possibility that circumstances will change and those may or may not call for a different approach to the situation. "

In other words, he's not going to "stay the course," whatever that course may be, in the name of having a consistent record, if a better alternative is found.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
APF said:
Except, his policy advisors are already telling us not to expect him fulfilling his promises as advertised

One advisor suggesting that he'll revisit his current Iraq exit strategy once inaugurated does not equate to multiple advisors telling us not to expect him to honor his word. You know this, I know this.

Plus, if he actually does follow through on gaining consensus with / bringing in Republicans in peace harmony and unity under Obama, then by definition he'll have to water down what he's proposing at this point.

...versus...

Hillary on the other hand will rule with an iron fist, slay all who oppose her, powder their bones into dust, and feast on their entrails.

...which makes ANY progress that much less likely.

reilo said:
Also, just having more experience does not mean that the person had a good track record with her experience.

To claim that Clinton is the more superior candidate because she has "experience" means little: McCain has it in spades, but he clearly has not used it to the best of his abilities.

Bush had it in spades.

So did Nixon.

The question is: Does Hillary Clinton have GOOD experience?

My answer? No.
I know that this post was like 10 pages ago, but w/e: Electoral-vote.com took the average ranking of the presidents in surveys of scholars, matched it up against their experience, and found that there is absolutely no correlation whatsoever between experience and “presidential greatness.” In fact, the president with the MOST experience was James Buchanan, who has an average ranking of 2nd worst and is aptly described in this quote from Wiki:
Wikipedia on Jimmy Buchanan said:
As Southern states declared their secession in the lead-up to the American Civil War, he held that secession was illegal, but that going to war to stop it was also illegal. Taking his own advice, he did nothing.
Study here. It's oooooooooold as sin, but I keep it around in my bookmarks.

Amusingly enough, the experience argument ends up meaning next to nothing in practical terms; my favorite little factoid in that study is that the #1 ranked president's only political experience prior to taking office was eight years in the Illinois state legislature and two years in Congress. Oh, and the guy (Lincoln, duh) was noted for his outstanding skills as a public orator, but that was about it. Sound familiar?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Unless Richard Mellon Scaife starts showing signs of polonium poisoning in the next few days, I think it's safe to say Hillary's dropped the "fighter" mantle.

quest

Not Banned from OT
xbhaskarx said:

"It's not the Bill Clinton-Al Gore party, which was strong internationalists, strong on defense, pro-trade, pro-reform in our domestic government. It's been effectively taken over by a small group on the left of the party that is protectionist, isolationist and very, very hyper-partisan. So it pains me."

He has endorsed Republican John McCain's presidential bid, and said Sunday that among the three presidential candidates, McCain comes closest to reflecting the legacy of John F. Kennedy.

McCain, he said, is "a reformer, somebody who understands ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country and remembers the other part of the Kennedy inaugural, which said that we will bear any burden, pay any price to assure the survival and sustenance of liberty. That's John McCain."

Joe Lieberman:

To bad democrats like Lieberman had to lose the power struggle to the far left extremist. Lieberman would of been a democrat I would of voted for. Hopefully Obama gets Wrighted in November and more moderate democrats can take over power. I can only imagine how bad it could get with a far left extremist with his party controlling congress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom