• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Uh what there is wrong?
Not so much wrong as completely disingenuous, since it's obvious to anyone with half a brain that the reason Obama is campaigning in so many states is his surprising strength in many traditionally Republican states.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
"It’s revealing that John McCain has now been forced to expand the states on his map because he’s so weak in traditional Republican targets such as Virginia, Iowa, Colorado and Nevada, not to mention his ongoing problems in Florida and New Mexico," said Obama spokesman I'mMakingThisUp.

GhaleonEB

grandjedi6 said:
"It’s revealing that John McCain has now been forced to expand the states on his map because he’s so weak in traditional Republican targets such as Virginia, Iowa, Colorado and Nevada, not to mention his ongoing problems in Florida and New Mexico," said Obama spokesman I'mMakingThisUp.
And let's not forget his unique indepenant appeal in states like Calfornia.

grandjedi6

maximum360 said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/25/nader-obama-trying-to-tal_n_109085.html

Nader says he's on to Obama strategy:

"He wants to show that he is not a threatening . . . another politically threatening African-American politician. He wants to appeal to white guilt. You appeal to white guilt not by coming on as black is beautiful, black is powerful. Basically he's coming on as someone who is not going to threaten the white power structure, whether it's corporate or whether it's simply oligarchic. And they love it. Whites just eat it up."

I see Nader is trying to compete with Barr for my coveted "Most hated 3rd party candidate" award

Holy shit, just read that Obama disagrees with the Supreme Court decision on the death penalty for raping a child. This is the second time in a week that I've been disappointed with Obama's position (first was FISA).

He isn't as liberal as I hoped :(

Gaborn

grandjedi6 said:
I see Nader is trying to compete with Barr for my coveted "Most hated 3rd party candidate" award

I would think the 2000 election would've already awarded Nader that crown permanently.

The Lamonster said:
Holy shit, just read that Obama disagrees with the Supreme Court decision on the death penalty for raping a child. This is the second time in a week that I've been disappointed with Obama's position (first was FISA).

Did the Supreme Court vote in favor of it?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Did the Supreme Court vote in favor of it?
5-4 ruled it's unconstitutional to execute a child rapist.

And I agree with them. In fact, I'm flat-out against the death penalty in any circumstances.

The Lamonster said:
5-4 ruled it's unconstitutional to execute a child rapist.

And I agree with them. In fact, I'm flat-out against the death penalty in any circumstances.
Agreed. A dead man can't learn from his mistakes.

Gaborn

Dax01 said:
Agreed. A dead man can't learn from his mistakes.

Or repeat them. I'm generally in favor of the death penalty for murderers but I really don't care either way if a child molester is executed, especially if there was penetration (as opposed to just "touching" as it were) then I think there's a stronger reason to execute though rather than just isolating them from society.

grandjedi6

Gaborn said:
I would think the 2000 election would've already awarded Nader that crown permanently.
I don't blame Nader for 2000. He had every right to run under the rules. My dislike of Nader mostly comes from his energy policy and egotistical view of elections

Gaborn

grandjedi6 said:
I don't blame Nader for 2000. He had every right to run under the rules. My dislike of Nader mostly comes from his energy policy and egotistical view of elections

Fair enough, that seems like a completely rational attitude to take.

Gaborn said:
Or repeat them. I'm generally in favor of the death penalty for murderers but I really don't care either way if a child molester is executed, especially if there was penetration (as opposed to just "touching" as it were) then I think there's a stronger reason to execute though rather than just isolating them from society.
Most people don't think they'll be caught - so you can't argue that the death penalty is a detractor to crime. As for revenge, it's not really a trait to be proud of...

NewLib

Banned
I kind of have to side with the SC in this. Its a slippery slope executing child rapists. First, Im sorry a person who rapes an adult should be punished the same way as a person who rapes a child. Its the same crime. So if one gets the death penalty, then the other should too. Then you have to take a serious look at sexual assault and it just starts rolling.

Gaborn

The Lamonster said:
Most people don't think they'll be caught - so you can't argue that the death penalty is a detractor to crime. As for revenge, it's not really a trait to be proud of...

Well, it doesn't deter other offenders, but it does prevent THAT particular offender from repeating their crime. That's not a question of revenge, it's a question of protecting society.

NewLib - I actually do kind of think that there's not a whole lot wrong with executing a person who repeatedly rapes adults either actually.

Gaborn said:
By executing a man for murdering another, we are being as bad as he was, if not worse (for seeing it as some form of justice).

GhaleonEB

The Lamonster said:

I generally don't frame things in liberal/conservative terms, so I was surprised that was a conservative position. I'm for the death penalty in those cases. I wasn't before I became a parent. I'm glad he supports that position.

Still crushed by his position on FISA, though.

Chichikov

grandjedi6 said:
People in his camp advised him against running in closely contested states.
And while I think the blame on 2000 is still mostly on Gore (and the supreme court, but don’t get me started on that) where Nader lost many points with me is with his notion that there’s no real difference between GWB and Gore, and notion he still holds to this day (for the best of my knowledge).

Gaborn

Dax01 said:
By executing a man for murdering another, we are being as bad as he was, if not worse (for seeing it as some form of justice).

No, because society is protecting itself. It's a form of collective self defense from the murderer. It's also a consequence of their actions, it's no more murder to execute a murderer than it is murder to kill a burglar breaking down your front door. If they didn't break down your door you wouldn't respond with deadly force, and if they weren't murdering people society wouldn't execute them.

Rayven

aka surume
My only issue with the death penalty is the whole flawed jud. system thing - innocent people are sometimes convicted.

That said, I don't want to see if we can reform the guy who tortured that Columbia student for 19 hours. He should be gone.

Gaborn

HeartAttackJones said:
My only issue with the death penalty is the whole flawed jud. system thing - innocent people are sometimes convicted.

That said, I don't want to see if we can reform the guy who tortured that Columbia student for 19 hours. He should be gone.

ABSOLUTELY. and I think that the burden of proof, especially in today's world, with today's level of technology should be extreeeeeeeemely high. DNA, witnesses, a little bit of EVERYTHING to get a conviction for death and a lot of room to appeal it and make sure you get it right. At least 2 DNA labs independently verifying the results (one chosen by the prosecution, one chosen by the defense but paid for by prosecutors), etc.

Gaborn said:
No, because society is protecting itself. It's a form of collective self defense from the murderer. It's also a consequence of their actions, it's no more murder to execute a murderer than it is murder to kill a burglar breaking down your front door. If they didn't break down your door you wouldn't respond with deadly force, and if they weren't murdering people society wouldn't execute them.
I disagree. I don't think the death penalty is appropriate in any situation.

sangreal

Everything about the legal/prison system is a joke, capital punishment is the least of its problems. Poorly informed juries and judges, bullshit subjective tests that the supreme court has decided on for interpreting laws, disproportionate sentences, mandatory minimums, rampant smuggling, violence and rape in prison, etc.

Ever watch "Locked Up" on NGC? Tonight they had some 19 year-old kid who was sentenced to prison for 15 years for threatening someone with a knife after being fired from a mall job. I don't know all of the details, but it sounds like an extreme sentence. The kid was too nice/weak for prison so after a few days of getting picked on he ended up in the hole, and they aren't going to let him out for the next 10+ years

Even if you make it out of prison and rehabilitate yourself, you are pretty fucked from the stigma in most cases. Good luck getting a good job when you have to check off that you were convicted of a felony; not to mention the sex offender list

For all of these reasons, I think all prisoners should have the option of the death penalty, its hardly cruel and unusual in comparison.

grandjedi6

Chichikov said:
People in his camp advised him against running in closely contested states.
And while I think the blame on 2000 is still mostly on Gore (and the supreme court, but don’t get me started on that) where Nader lost many points with me is with his notion that there’s no real difference between GWB and Gore, and notion he still holds to this day (for the best of my knowledge).
Even then I still can't blame Nader for 2000 since under the rules he had every right to run. As for your very last part I was actually throwing that under the "egotistical view" part of my criticism for Nader

Rayven

aka surume
Dax01 said:
I disagree. I don't think the death penalty is appropriate in any situation.
So...if some dude brutally rapes, tortures, and kills everyone in your family including your dog, you want what to happen to him?

Diablos

Do you think Obama shifting positions (FLIP FLOPPER OMG) on public financing is really a game changer as Lindsey Graham said? I can understand why this is upsetting, but I really don't think this is a game changer. Most of us are pretty informed when it comes to this kind of stuff, but the general public, that is, people who aren't heavily interested in the wonderful (lol) game of politics, are not going to care a whole lot. Obama disagreeing with the Supreme Court and saying those who rape children should get the death penalty, on the other hand, is likely a bigger deal to those people.

It was just funny to hear Lindsey's tone of voice, talking about how important it supposedly is. They're going to need a LOT more than Obama turning his back on public financing if they want to try and bury his chances of winning.

HeartAttackJones said:
So...if some dude brutally rapes, tortures, and kills everyone in your family including your dog, you want what to happen to him?
I'd want him to rot in prison for the rest of his natural life. I don't want him to get a free pass in the form of death.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
HeartAttackJones said:
the dog is the only member of the family worthy of unique identification?

Diablos said:
Do you think Obama shifting positions (FLIP FLOPPER OMG) on public financing is really a game changer as Lindsey Graham said? I can understand why this is upsetting, but I really don't think this is a game changer. Most of us are pretty informed when it comes to this kind of stuff, but the general public, that is, people who aren't heavily interested in the wonderful (lol) game of politics, are not going to care a whole lot. Obama disagreeing with the Supreme Court and saying those who rape children should get the death penalty, on the other hand, is likely a bigger deal to those people.

Lindsey Graham is quite possibly the biggest concern troll ever. Nothing he says should ever be taken seriously.

sangreal

HeartAttackJones said:
I'm playing devil's advocate here but...

If you think that killing someone is justified simply because they did something bad enough to make me want them dead, you might as well just legalize murder.

That isn't a very good standard for applying the death penalty.

Rayven

aka surume
scola said:
the dog is the only member of the family worthy of unique identification?
Wanted to inject a little humor into a dark subject.

If you think that killing someone is justified simply because they did something bad enough to make me want them dead, you might as well just legalize murder.

That isn't a very good standard for applying the death penalty.
Isn't that the standard for applying the death penalty?

edit:It's to keep people from taking the law into their own hands.

The Lamonster said:

I agree with the courts as well. Obama moves to center on issues like this and others. Stuff like this shouldn't come as much as a surprise. He has to go this route to win in the November.

You guys better get used to Obama being more centrist. I know this board was a giant liberal circle-jerk during the primary season, when Obama and Clinton were trying to see who could appeal to most Democrats, but Democrats are going to vote for Obama no matter what in the general, and no longer need to be fought over.

Now that it's time for the general, both candidates (Obama and McCain) are beginning to gravitate towards the middle.

It sucks, but it happens every election with every candidate. One of the main negatives of a two party system.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Diablos said:
Most of us are pretty informed when it comes to this kind of stuff, but the general public, that is, people who aren't heavily interested in the wonderful (lol) game of politics, are not going to care a whole lot.

The people will care about any issue if the mainstream media keeps making such a huge deal out of it.

thefit

Frank the Great said:
You guys better get used to Obama being more centrist. I know this board was a giant liberal circle-jerk during the primary season, when Obama and Clinton were trying to see who could appeal to most Democrats, but Democrats are going to vote for Obama no matter what in the general, and no longer need to be fought over.

Now that it's time for the general, both candidates (Obama and McCain) are beginning to gravitate towards the middle.

It sucks, but it happens every election with every candidate. One of the main negatives of a two party system.

Yep, get used to it you can't claim to want to campaign in all 50 states and reshape the political map by being anything but a centrist. Its a tight rope walk from here till November. The progressive blogs are up in arms over Obama's stand on FISA I'm not too happy myself but I hope that if it passes it gets challenged and taken to the supreme court. The legality of the FISA courts themselves have never been challenged and some constitutional scholars beleive that they would never cut the mustard when scrutinized. The passage may eventually lead to a serious revaluation of FISA courts altogether.

Macam

Banned
Incognito said:
Lindsey Graham is quite possibly the biggest concern troll ever. Nothing he says should ever be taken seriously.

I think I said as much a few pages back, but it's worth reiterating. He's a worthless Senator, as this past week's Meet the Press highlighted. He's also up for re-election, though I suspect he'll probably hang onto his seat rather comfortably.

Tamanon

Banned
The Daily Show seriously has some of the best oppo researchers in the world, pulling a James Dobson clip talking about Leviticus from back in the day and how it's in the scriptures so it must be right.:lol

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
If we're talking about quotes from the good doctor, nothing beats this:

James Dobson said:
Meanwhile, the boy's father has to do his part. He needs to mirror and affirm his son's maleness. He can play rough-and-tumble games with his son, in ways that are decidedly different from the games he would play with a little girl. He can help his son learn to throw and catch a ball. He can teach him to pound a square wooden peg into a square hole in a pegboard. He can even take his son with him into the shower, where the boy cannot help but notice that Dad has a penis, just like his, only bigger.

The context? A Dobson column where he gives advice on how to prevent your kids from becoming homosexuals.

mugwhump

Deus Ex Machina said:
Obama’s Sister Stumps in Denver

2124372810_53ec6bba3e.jpg

http://thepage.time.com/2008/06/25/obama’s-sister-stumps-in-denver/
Obama has a sister :0

HAWT

Hootie

:lol The Colbert Report is so much better than the Daily show. Those videos were so awesome.

Oh shi-- Neil deGrasse Tyson on the Report!

Amir0x

Banned
Mandark said:
If we're talking about quotes from the good doctor, nothing beats this:

The context? A Dobson column where he gives advice on how to prevent your kids from becoming homosexuals.

Some people!

Besides my Dad's dick is smaller than mine

Rayven

aka surume
Arde5643 said:
The MSM will keep making a big deal out of the smallest insignificant things hoping that people will give the slightest damn about it.
This is definitely the case with campaign-finance-gate.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't get the chance to make the joke when the poles come out but did any one in the MSM pick up the story about McCain having trouble with "Enthusiastic Voters"?

Its the new suburban white housewives

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
HeartAttackJones said:
Wanted to inject a little humor into a dark subject.

Isn't that the standard for applying the death penalty?

edit:It's to keep people from taking the law into their own hands.
should have gone with peanut butter
+ d ic k
+ dog ;)

I wasn't serious before either

Hootie said:
:lol The Colbert Report is so much better than the Daily show. Those videos were so awesome.

Oh shi-- Neil deGrasse Tyson on the Report!

If someone could gif John McCain voguing, they would be the bestest person ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom