• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
empty vessel said:
Obama's disagreement with the Supreme Court decision on this case suggests he may appoint justices to the right of Kennedy and in the mold of Scalia, Thomas, Alito, and Roberts, the dissenting judges in this case and each rigidly ideologically conservative. Kennedy--a very conservative jurist who is to the right of former Justice O'Connor, who used to be the swing vote on the court before her retirement--was in the majority on this one.

:lol :lol :lol

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
empty vessel said:
Obama's disagreement with the Supreme Court decision on this case suggests he may appoint justices to the right of Kennedy and in the mold of Scalia, Thomas, Alito, and Roberts, the dissenting judges in this case and each rigidly ideologically conservative. Kennedy--a very conservative jurist who is to the right of former Justice O'Connor, who used to be the swing vote on the court before her retirement--was in the majority on this one.
wtf.

Obama's 'artfully' moving to the center, showing himself to be in line with decades of fast-talkin' Presidential candidates following the primaries.

syllogism

empty vessel said:
Ahahah, are you kidding? He voted against Alito and Roberts. Besides, even if he agreed with the decision (though very likely he did not based on his previous remarks), it would have been a political suicide to agree with it on record (see. Dukakis).

syllogism said:
Ahahah, are you kidding? He voted against Alito and Roberts. Besides, even if he agreed with the decision (though very likely he did not based on his previous remarks), it would have been a political suicide to agree with it on record (see. Dukakis).

I'm only half-kidding; it is demonstrative of the extreme (not center) positions he is currently staking out. Kennedy is considerably right of center, and Obama placed himself to the right of him. While it may not mean he will be appointing Scalias, it does suggest his judicial appointments might be soft and mushy (like Clinton's were). I also think it casts doubt on whether he will be a genuinely liberal president in the White House or a Bill Clinton redux.

syllogism

empty vessel said:
I'm only half-kidding; it is demonstrative of the extreme (not center) positions he is currently staking out. Kennedy is considerably right of center, and Obama placed himself to the right of him. While it may not mean he will be appointing Scalias, it does suggest his judicial appointments might be soft and mushy (like Clinton's were). I also think it casts doubt on whether he will be a genuinely liberal president in the White House or a Bill Clinton redux.
I'm inclided to believe this is some odd attempt at trolling, because if anything, he is agreeing with the vast majority.

GhaleonEB

In case anyone thinks Obama is doing a head-fake in Alaska:

Obama To Campaign In ... Alaska?

Wow, talk about broadening the map. The Anchorage Daily News reports that Obama may actually campaign in Alaska, a state that's about as red as it gets.

"That is the plan -- we are pretty sure he's going to come at the end of the summer," Obama's new Alaska state director, Kat Pustay, told the paper.

We'll believe that when we see it, but if he does go it would be quite a statement. The last Democrat to win Alaska was Lyndon Johnson, during his landslide victory in 1964. John Kerry got only 36% there in 2004, and Al Gore fared even worse four years earlier, winning only 28%.

Late Update: We're not sure if a Dem presidential candidate has ever campaigned in Alaska, but we're sure our historian/reader types can figure it out...
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/06/obama_to_campaign_in_alaska.php

Of course, we all know it's because he's desperate for electoral votes and has been driving to searching for them in deep red states.

syllogism said:
I'm inclided to believe this is some odd attempt at trolling, because if anything, he is agreeing with the vast majority.

Obama wasn't expressing an opinion about what he personally believed but about what the constitution required and his agreement with a Supreme Court decision on a question of constitutional law. As a former constitutional law professor who should know a thing or two about the constitution, Obama sided with a view of the constitution expressed by extreme conservatives (all Reagan, Bush I, or Bush II appointees). As a constitutional matter, this question wasn't very difficult. Indeed, even the dissent acknowledged that most legal commenters and scholars already believed that what the Court decided in Kennedy had already been prohibited by other cases.

And I am not so sure you are correct to suggest the vast majority support the death penalty for non-homicide offenses. The country has not executed anybody for that in over four decades.

syllogism

I'm sorry, but "extreme conservatives" concurring with a view does not make it "extreme". You'll find there are plenty of "extreme liberals" among judiciary that agree with Obama on the issue.

Photos: Barack Obama speaks at "KEEPING AMERICA COMPETITIVE' summit today in Pittsburgh

capt.f24edc7cd62d47718a0437caa169f312.obama_2008_paab102.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., left, speaks at an economic competitiveness summit,Thursday, June 26, 2008, at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.95417ebf6fa94f6986cbe31ba6c9d3b5.obama_2008_paab110.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., listens during an economic competitiveness summit, Thursday, June 26, 2008, at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.5b5cc0a465ef4de8a2ab397d0d8016c4.obama_2008_paab101.jpg

Massachusetts Institute of Technology President Susan Hockfield, left, listens to Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., center, with General Motors Chairman and Chief Executive Officer G. Richard Wagoner, Jr., Thursday, June 26, 2008,, at a competitiveness summit at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.2a63a07e6875499bbaf20cfd0051a5f1.obama_2008_paks108.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill. smiles during a panel discussion with business, labor and academic leaders, Thursday, June 26, 2008, during an economic discussion in Pittsburgh.
(AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

capt.0bae3f06b1d24892831c724f4840dd89.obama_2008_paks107.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., center, greets audience members after taking part in a panel discussion with business, labor and academic leaders, Thursday, June 26, 2008, during an economic discussion in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

Joe said:
remember that cbs news woman on the daily show not too long ago? the hot aussie, the one that sharply criticized the war and us media?

front062608.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06262008/news/worldnews/news_babes_iraqi_tryst_117192.htm

Sexy CBS siren Lara Logan spent her days covering the heat of the Iraq war - but that was nothing compared to the heat of her nights.

The "60 Minutes" reporter and former swimsuit model apparently courted two beaus while she was in Baghdad, and has been labeled a homewrecker for allegedly destroying the marriage of a civilian contractor there, sources said.

Pics?

Obama has committed to an all out offensive campaign to raise support not just for his presidency but for downticket races as well. There is a key, very competive Senate race this year to unsear "series of tubes" Ted Stevens in Alaska in addition to the Presidential campaign.

He also has some other advantages in Alaska-he's got connections to Hawaii ( a state that shares some kinship with Alaska, both have longstanding indigenous soverignty issues ignored by the rest of the country), Alaska is hit harder than any other state in the country in the event of a fuel crunch (despite all the drilling, the refining doesn't happen there and transportation is expensive there) , and the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve issue is neutralized this cycle because the Shit Talk Express doesn't dare flip-flop on that issue and has been a longtime opponent to drilling there.

So there's some key differences in the state this year versus previous cycles.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Not mine, but still funny:
mccain_simpsons_2008.jpg

Joe- That's the New York Post, owned by Rupert Murdoch. I wouldn't take seriously a paper who's claim to fame is a headline that sez "HEADLESS BODY IN TOPLESS BAR"... :kittonwyindifferent.jpg:

gkryhewy

twinturbo2 said:
Not mine, but still funny:
mccain_simpsons_2008.jpg

Joe- That's the New York Post, owned by Rupert Murdoch. I wouldn't take seriously a paper who's claim to fame is a headline that sez "HEADLESS BODY IN TOPLESS BAR"... :kittonwyindifferent.jpg:

Hah, that's pretty good.

Macam

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Holy shit, just read that Obama disagrees with the Supreme Court decision on the death penalty for raping a child. This is the second time in a week that I've been disappointed with Obama's position (first was FISA).

He isn't as liberal as I hoped :(

1) You're going to disagree with any person and/or politician on some issues. Don't act so surprised.

2) I would hardly qualifying being against the decision to support the death penalty for raping a child to be "liberal". Generally speaking, most liberals aren't pro-death penalty in the first place.

3) It's probably worth looking at the actual cases rather than making a knee jerk reaction here:

But the Texas Association Against Sexual Assault, a nonprofit victim advocacy group representing 80 rape crisis centers, applauded the ruling.

"Most child sexual abuse victims are abused by a family member or close family friend," the group said in a statement. "The reality is that child victims and their families don't want to be responsible for sending a grandparent, cousin or long time family friend to death row."

No question it's a horrific crime, but there's more to this issue than what it appears. It's not so black and white (which is, coincidentally and rather appropriately, McCain's campaign colors).

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Obama said:
"I have always believed that the Second Amendment protects the right of individuals to bear arms, but I also identify with the need for crime-ravaged communities to save their children from the violence that plagues our streets through common-sense, effective safety measures. The Supreme Court has now endorsed that view, and while it ruled that the D.C. gun ban went too far, Justice Scalia himself acknowledged that this right is not absolute and subject to reasonable regulations enacted by local communities to keep their streets safe. Today's ruling, the first clear statement on this issue in 127 years, will provide much-needed guidance to local jurisdictions across the country.

"As President, I will uphold the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun-owners, hunters, and sportsmen. I know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact common-sense laws, like closing the gun show loophole and improving our background check system, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Today's decision reinforces that if we act responsibly, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe.

McCain said:
Today's decision is a landmark victory for Second Amendment freedom in the United States. For this first time in the history of our Republic, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed that the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms was and is an individual right as intended by our Founding Fathers. I applaud this decision as well as the overturning of the District of Columbia's ban on handguns and limitations on the ability to use firearms for self-defense.

Unlike Senator Obama, who refused to join me in signing a bipartisan amicus brief, I was pleased to express my support and call for the ruling issued today. Today's ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller makes clear that other municipalities like Chicago that have banned handguns have infringed on the constitutional rights of Americans. Unlike the elitist view that believes Americans cling to guns out of bitterness, today's ruling recognizes that gun ownership is a fundamental right -- sacred, just as the right to free speech and assembly.

This ruling does not mark the end of our struggle against those who seek to limit the rights of law-abiding citizens. We must always remain vigilant in defense of our freedoms. But today, the Supreme Court ended forever the specious argument that the Second Amendment did not confer an individual right to keep and bear arms.

Beat a dead horse much?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Instigator said:

I'd let her wreck me. She was on the Daily Show a week ago. Drop dead gorgeous.

Although, I call bullshit on that article since she was actively calling out the White House and the Bush administration.

Askia47

Random thought, Obama is leading in the polls for the time being. Does anyone else think this will be short lived, as in McCain could make a comeback and make the election close?

Askia47 said:
Random thought, Obama is leading in the polls for the time being. Does anyone else think this will be short lived, as in McCain could make a comeback and make the election close?

Random answer: cake.

Real answer: Ummmm it's freakin June.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Askia47 said:

Sure, why not? It could also get worse for McCain the more his "policies" are examined/laughed at.

reilo said:
I'd let her wreck me. She was on the Daily Show a week ago. Drop dead gorgeous.

Although, I call bullshit on that article since she was actively calling out the White House and the Bush administration.

She must have been a model over a decade ago, and not a good one at that, because I can't find any photographic evidence of that former career of hers.

Askia47

worldrunover said:
Random answer: cake.

Real answer: Ummmm it's freakin June.

yeah, I know it was a dumb question. It was just something in my head, since everyone i know seems sure Obama will win, but im stil worried about McCain ruining his momentum.

JayDubya

Banned
empty vessel said:

You think Kennedy is very conservative, and Ginsburg and Breyer are mushy, and not genuinely liberal? >_>

Kay...

JayDubya said:
You think Kennedy is very conservative, and Ginsburg and Breyer are mushy, and not genuinely liberal? >_>

Kay...

Kennedy was one of the most conservative persons on the Court at the time he was appointed. He is now the so-called center (not center). Ginsburg and Breyer are mushy. They are to the right of Stevens and Souter, both Republican appointees (and both at the actual center). That isn't surprising given Clinton's own mushiness. I really don't expect much different from Obama either, particularly given his post-primary lurch to the right (not center).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Instigator said:
She must have been a model over a decade ago, and not a good one at that, because I can't find any photographic evidence of that former career of hers.

She's 37 now and has been reporting FROM Iraq for the last 5 years. But she looked good on TDS.

woeds

Instigator said:
laralogan2.jpg

Google image search on 'lara logan model'

NewLib

Banned
empty vessel said:
Kennedy was one of the most conservative persons on the Court at the time he was appointed. He is now the so-called center (not center). Ginsburg and Breyer are mushy. They are to the right of Stevens and Souter, both Republican appointees (and both at the actual center). That isn't surprising given Clinton's own mushiness. I really don't expect much different from Obama either, particularly given his post-primary lurch to the right (not center).

I can think of a decision of Ginsburg that could be considered even slightly conservative. It may exist, but it doesnt come to mind.

Kennedy was one of the most conservative people when? If you mean he was the fourth most conservative instead of the fifth then yes. Rehnquist, Scalia, and White were all most conservative by far. He always been slightly right of center while O'Connor was slightly left if not dead center.

some good news for Obama supporters

ap_polls_candidates_supporters1.png

Support for Obama from Clinton Supports has gone up from 40% to 53% from April to June

Supporters for McCain from Clinton Supports has gone down from 24% to 23% from April to June

NewLib said:
I can think of a decision of Ginsburg that could be considered even slightly conservative. It may exist, but it doesnt come to mind.

Many of Ginsburg's votes are slightly conservative. You can't necessarily tell because there isn't any left side of the court to compare them to. But Stevens is often enough the lone dissenter, reflecting that Ginsburg has been in the sack too often with Scalia. In any event, stack her views and opinions up against those of authentically liberal jurists like Brennan and Marshall, and there a mushy liberal you will find.

NewLib said:
Kennedy was one of the most conservative people when? If you mean he was the fourth most conservative instead of the fifth then yes. Rehnquist, Scalia, and White were all most conservative by far. He always been slightly right of center while O'Connor was slightly left if not dead center.

I don't think White was more conservative than Kennedy. White did have a conservative streak in particular areas, to be sure, but I would not place him to the right of Kennedy. In other words, I think White was with Brennan, Marshall, Blackmun, and Stevens and Kennedy with Scalia, Rehnquist, and O'Connor more than vice versa. Kennedy and Rehnquist were close, although I would probably give Rehnquist the nod. Scalia was (and still is) obviously a loon, but he was a recent appointment at the time. That would make Kennedy more conservative than 6 of his fellow justices.

Describing O'Connor as "slightly left [of] dead center" is just absurd. Many democrats aren't even "slightly left of center," and O'Connor was a committed conservative Republican from a Southwestern state. See Bush v. Gore. Kennedy, of course, was to her right and a reliable member of the conservative block while O'Connor was the swing vote.

JayDubya said:
EV, are you defining "center" by European standards here, or what?

No.

Tamanon

Banned
empty vessel said:

Yes, except that he disagreed with the same judges you mentioned about habeas corpus. So does THAT case suggest he'll be going for someone in the Kennedy vein and to the left?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Mitt spits hot fiyah!

i'm shocked to say i actually miss cheebs. my friend working as an Obama Fellow mentioned to me that he's been working 12 hour days and is involved in some type of political ponzi scheme to attract 100 volunteers in 6 weeks.

he's shitting himself.

RiZ III

So I guess a donation of $30 or moar gets u a free obama shirt :O I'm a sucker for this stuff and ended up giving them 50. Gobama go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom