• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WickedAngel said:
It's worked out splendidly for them thus far.
It certainly has. And it will continue to work to a significant degree. But they've got a big problem right now . . . people have seen what some 8 years of their policies in effect produce and it ain't pretty.

Cheebs

GhaleonEB said:
Indeed. I'm hoping for a repeat of their success in the 2006 elections.

Back up to six. Seems the Clark/"refine" media bruhaha's didn't work. Time for plan C!
No one watches the news around 4th of July. I doubt anyone even saw it.

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
No one watches the news around 4th of July. I doubt anyone even saw it.
True. Of course, I heard it twice on NPR driving to places. Will be interesting to see if they've blown through it by the time Monday rolls around.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The McCain-lovin', profit-obsessed MSM agrees with the PoliGAF cognoscenti:

The Republican Party has been successfully scaring voters since 1968, when Richard Nixon built a Silent Majority out of lower- and middle-class folks frightened or disturbed by hippies and student radicals and blacks rioting in the inner cities...

It is a sure bet that the GOP will try to paint Obama as "the other"—as a haughty black intellectual who has Muslim roots (Obama is a Christian) and hangs around with America-haters.

Did Evan Thomas lose the memo from his corporate paymasters on keeping the election close by trying to stave off the Obama truth and justice juggernaut?

Gaborn

Guileless said:
The McCain-lovin', profit-obsessed MSM agrees with the PoliGAF cognoscenti:

Did Evan Thomas lose the memo from his corporate paymasters on keeping the election close by trying to stave off the Obama truth and justice juggernaut?

I'm not sure Norman Thomas's grandson is exactly a McCain lover.

Lousy week for Obama, I don't care what the polls say. Obama (and his campaign staff) are likely tired after the long primary, which may explain these rather silly gaffes and clarifications that we aren't used to seeing from his camp. His comments on late-term abortions were confusing, shitty and harmful, and it's not like he needs any more problems with Democratic women. It also showed a lack of understanding when it comes to mental health issues.

The FISA bill is a failing of the Democratic congress as a whole, so I am not as upset about Obama's change of position there, though it still sucks. There's nothing new about his stance on subsidies for religious charities, either. Still, the communication on these issues and withdrawing from Iraq was terrible this week.

You guys can say this stuff doesn't or shouldn't matter, but it does. In my eyes, one of the biggest advantages Obama's campaign had over Hillary's was their ability to handle the media properly and control the news cycle. So it is very disappointing to see McCain's camp outfoxing them in the past couple of weeks. Hopefully it's just what I said, momentary fatigue after a long primary.

killakiz said:
Just wanted to pop in and say that i received my MoveOn.org Obama bumper sticker.

Me too. I feel so gross that I even gave them my address. When I unsubscribed from the newsletter at least I got to tell them how ridiculous, reductive, insipid, and plain fucking dumb their latest ad campaign is.

They're fucking horrible.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Catchpenny said:
Lousy week for Obama, I don't care what the polls say. Obama (and his campaign staff) are likely tired after the long primary, which may explain these rather silly gaffes and clarifications that we aren't used to seeing from his camp. His comments on late-term abortions were confusing, shitty and harmful, and it's not like he needs any more problems with Democratic women. It also showed a lack of understanding when it comes to mental health issues.

The FISA bill is a failing of the Democratic congress as a whole, so I am not as upset about Obama's change of position there, though it still sucks. There's nothing new about his stance on subsidies for religious charities, either. Still, the communication on these issues and withdrawing from Iraq was terrible this week.

You guys can say this stuff doesn't or shouldn't matter, but it does. In my eyes, one of the biggest advantages Obama's campaign had over Hillary's was their ability to handle the media properly and control the news cycle. So it is very disappointing to see McCain's camp outfoxing them in the past couple of weeks. Hopefully it's just what I said, momentary fatigue after a long primary.
Were we watching the same primary season?

Obama will announce tomorrow that he's going to accept the nomination at Invesco Field.

The big announcement comes tomorrow, according to Democrats.

On Thursday, August 28, Barack Obama plans to accept his nomination at Invesco Field in Denver, rather than at the Pepsi Center.

It's going to cost the convention committee a lot of money to make the move, but Invesco Field can handle more than 75,000 spectators and will make a much better picture.

TDG

Banned
invesco1.jpg

That's going to look fucking awesome.

I can't imagine the amount of preparation the security teams must go through.

Although Bush had some huge crowds in football stadiums in the lead up to election day, 2004.

TDG

Banned
speculawyer said:
I don't know if it is such a good idea . . . it kinda adds to the "Cult of Obama" meme.
I doubt it. I think it will just make it look like the country is behind him, not just a bunch of delegates.

I'd be more worried about how they'll be filling up those seats.

Touchdown

Banned
the disgruntled gamer said:
I doubt it. I think it will just make it look like the country is behind him, not just a bunch of delegates.

I'd be more worried about how they'll be filling up those seats.

I don't think they'll have too much of a problem. It's going to be historic. 40 years to the day that King gave his dream speech. If 75,000 can pop up in Oregon to attend one of his stump speeches, I'm sure they'll have very little problems filling the stadium. Man, I can't wait. It's going to be an awesome sight.:D

And I have to say that I simply had no clue as to how blatantly biased and paranoid it was until I actually sat down and watched it. They're also heavily biased against "liberals" and the "liberal media", demonising them and painting them as the evil "other" in the overwhelming majority in order to present themselves as a shining beacon of truth in a sea of darkness.

The way they keep repeating the mantra "fair and balanced" creeped me out. I was watching this show where this black man with a moustache interviewed some university kids about the liberal bias in American campuses, his contention being that because the overwhelming majority of tenured and tenure-track professors in universities vote democratic, that this led to today's youth being indoctrinated in the politics of the left.

The sheer animosity against opposing political views, on a news station was astounding.

They then had a documentary regarding young voters and how mobilised they are becoming in terms of politics. They painted the race for these voters as tight and downplayed Obama's popularity among them as though McCain even has a hope to win them.

Bizarre. I've always found American politics fascinating and have been hoping for an Obama presidency since the '07 Democratic convention but up until now had no idea that it was this divisive.

TDG

Banned
Touchdown said:
I don't think they'll have too much of a problem. It's going to be historic. 40 years to the day that King gave his dream speech. If 75,000 can pop up in Oregon to attend one of his stump speeches, I'm sure they'll have very little problems filling the stadium. Man, I can't wait. It's going to be an awesome sight.:D
The problem is not getting 75,000 people, it's getting the right 75,000 people, if you know what I mean.

Cheebs

the disgruntled gamer said:
The problem is not getting 75,000 people, it's getting the right 75,000 people, if you know what I mean.
More like 50,000. About 25k will be the delegates and basically every member of the DNC leadership, senator, etc.... Yes, including the hillary ones.

TDG

Banned
Cheebs said:
More like 50,000. About 25k will be the delegates and basically every member of the DNC leadership, senator, etc.... Yes, including the hillary ones.
True. Even still, there's the issue of how they will choose who gets in, how they will keep protesters out, etc...

masud

Banned
Came in here to say that I just finished reading Dreams of my Father and Audacity of hope and I think everyone here should do the same. Anyone claiming that they don't "know" Obama really should read Dreams of my Father. Also having read the audacity of Hope it really makes this whole 'moving to the center' and refine-gate bullshit especially hilarious. Anyway awesome books. That candidate, god damn.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
viciouskillersquirrel said:
The way they keep repeating the mantra "fair and balanced" creeped me out.
They paid a lot of attention to the concept of doublespeak in 1984.

Zogby

As the race for President passes the Independence Day holiday and heads toward the dog days of summer, Sen. Barack Obama holds a 44% to 38% lead over Sen. John McCain in the horserace contest, but also leads by a substantial margin in a state-by-state Electoral College tally, a new Zogby Interactive poll shows.

The extensive national poll of of 46,274 likely voters also shows Libertarian candidate and former Congressman Bob Barr wins 6% support, eating into McCain’s needed conservative base of support.

The online survey was conducted from June 11-30, 2008. It carries a margin of error of 0.5 percentage points. After nearly a decade in development, the Zogby Interactive survey on a state level was remarkably accurate in the 2006 midterm elections. ...

This latest extensive survey of all 50 states reveals that while Obama holds a narrow lead in the national preference test, he holds a substantial advantage right now in the Electoral College. Using this survey - and an average of other public state polls in certain states to corroborate the Zogby results – Zogby calculates that Obama leads McCain, 273-158. A total of 11 states with 105 electoral votes are within the margin of error and therefore too close to call. A candidate needs 270 to be elected President.

For all Senator Barack Obama’s success at raising money and generating excitement among voters, he faces a daunting challenge as he prepares to claim the nomination in August: a Democratic convention effort marred by costly setbacks and embarrassing delays.

With the Denver convention less than two months away, problems range from the serious — upwardly spiraling costs on key contracts still being negotiated — to the mundane, like the reluctance of local caterers to participate because of stringent rules on what delegates will be eating, down to the color of the food. At last count, plans to renovate the inside of the Pepsi Center for the Democrats are $6 million over budget, which may force convention planners to scale back on their original design or increase their fund-raising goals.

<snip>

Some of the Democratic missteps started soon after planning for the event began. The Democratic National Convention Committee decided not to take cheap office space and instead rented top-quality offices in downtown Denver at $100,000 a month, only to need less than half the space, which it then filled with rental furniture at $50,000 a month. And in a costly misstep, the Denver host committee, early on, told corporate donors that their contributions were not tax-deductible, rather than to encourage donations by saying that the tax-exempt application was pending and expected to be approved.

Overly ambitious environmental goals — to turn the event into a “green” convention — have backfired as only three states’ full delegations have so far agreed to participate in the program. Negotiations over where to locate demonstrators remain unsettled with members of the national news media concerned over proposals to locate the demonstrators — with their loud gatherings — next to the media tent.

And then there is the food: A 28-page contract requested by Denver organizers that caterers provide food in “at least three of the following five colors: red, green, yellow, blue/purple and white.” Garnishes could not be counted toward the colors. No fried foods would be allowed. Organic and locally grown foods were mandated, and each plate had to be 50 percent fruits and vegetables. As a result, caterers are shying away.

NYT

Pretty much a microcosm of what we can expect when they take over: money waste, over-regulation, and indecision.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Cheebs said:
Zogby's Online Surveys are horribly inaccurate. Their phone ones are sometimes pretty decent.

true, but this numbers seem to back up the other polls.

Also, 75K+ (they can fill the field level too) is going to be fucking epic.

siamesedreamer said:
NYT

Pretty much a microcosm of what we can expect when they take over: money waste, over-regulation, and indecision.
The banking and housing industries have already suffocated under so much regulation that I doubt they can do much more damage, really. (And airlines. They've gotten steadily worse since regulation was reinstated in the late 70s.)

Comparing the ability of Democrats to organize dinner to their governing abilities is sort of like congratulating the leader of the Phillipines for the quality of your Filipino cook. Um, wat?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

What are the dems gonna do that will cost more than the Iraq war, and be more disorgnized than the Katrina relief efforts?

I'm a republican myself, but this kind of head-in-the-sand, thoughtless fear mongering is embarrassing, yo.

Hrmmm...I recall y'all arguing that Obama's campaign management was a prelude to how he would run the White House/country.

Does that only work when the story favors your side?

siamesedreamer said:
Hrmmm...I recall y'all arguing that Obama's campaign management was a prelude to how he would run the White House/country.

Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid are planning the catering for the Democratic Convention? Well, fuck me sideways, they do a hell of a lot more than I thought.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
siamesedreamer said:

Yeah, but this is the comittee for the convention, not the DNC or Obama.

Their money problems stem from the drawn out primary. No one gave money to them while there was a chance the other candidate would get the nomination.

Why dont we talk about the RNC congressional committee and senatorial comittee that actually have something to do with elections?

StoOgE said:

Their money problems stem from the drawn out primary. No one gave money to them while there was a chance the other candidate would get the nomination.

Why dont we talk about the RNC congressional committee and senatorial comittee that actually have something to do with elections?
It's all about the food, dude. Filipino cooks? You've done a heckuva job, Phillipines, since we stopped being imperialistic on your asses. DNC food catering? A future indication of economic plans. Cindy McCain's stolen recipes? Some kind of secret plan to rule the country.

siamesedreamer said:

What does that story have to do with Obama's campaign management though? They started organizing the Democratic convention before he even announced his candidacy.

An event he didn't help plan is going poorly. And that's a preulde to how he would run the White House how?

I mean I like how you snip the part about Obama's own aides being frustrated about how disorganized things have been prior to them taking over.

Perhaps it's a prelude to how Howard Dean would run the country, but that problem takes care of itself...

StoOgE said:

The convention is being organized by the Democratic National Committee, which is run by Howard Dean, with his chief of staff, the Rev. Leah D. Daughtry, leading the effort.

FitzOfRage said:
I mean I like how you snip the part about Obama's own aides being frustrated about how disorganized things have been prior to them taking over.
Surprise surprise.
siamesedreamer said:
The convention is being organized by the Democratic National Committee, which is run by Howard Dean, with his chief of staff, the Rev. Leah D. Daughtry, leading the effort.
Can't trust Reverends with anything, srsly.

siamesedreamer said:
Where did I mention this story has anything to do with Obama?
Where does Howard Dean's chief-of-staff suddenly become a Senator or Representative that would presumably be part of a 'DEM' supermajority?

siamesedreamer said:
Where did I mention this story has anything to do with Obama?

Sorry, didn't notice you were a joke character

siamesedreamer said:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom