• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank the Great said:
Not even close dude. Nixon won every single state except MA and DC in '72,.
How can we be so stupid? We elected a crook instead of a guy who won the Distinguished Flying Cross.

And then we recently elected Bush . . . the guy who has had the lowest approval ratings for the longest time of any president.

Sometimes I wonder if the USA should adopt the George Constanza strategy and just do the opposite of what we think is right. :lol

speculawyer said:
How can we be so stupid? We elected a crook instead of a guy who won the Distinguished Flying Cross.

And then we recently elected Bush . . . the guy who has had the lowest approval ratings for the longest time of any president.

Sometimes I wonder if the USA should adopt the George Constanza strategy and just do the opposite of what we think is right. :lol

Nixon was a surprisingly good President, outside of his political crimes.

It's pretty straightforward, as we win, costs will go down with a smaller footprint over time, and those savings will go to deficit reduction. It's really the logical extension of Senator McCain's position as articulated in the 2013 speech. Achieving success in Iraq would obviously lead to reduced expenditures on the effort.
The more one thinks about this, the more absurd this becomes . . . this sounds just like the way we got into this war.

We were told the oil would pay for the war.

We were told it would cost $50 Billion

We were told we would spend no more than $1billion on reconstruction.

When some Bush administration guy said that the war would cost $100 billion, they promptly fired the guy for giving such an outrageously large estimate.

And McCain thinks he's gonna cut the deficit by 'winning the war'? WTF? :lol The only thing more absurd than that is that some people might actually believe it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Mandark, carrying that Edwards man-crush forever! i can't see Obama considering Biden for VP. Secretary of State maybe, but him and Clinton practically held hands during the 2002 authorization vote.

reilo: i'm still not sure what Obama's 'new' politics entails.

JayDubya said:
Is it a hope because you want to save NYC from him, or because you need your political party card taken away yet again?
Bloomberg is the greatest thing to happen to NYC since 25 cent peepshows in Times Square.

:lol :lol :lol

Obama's plane had a glitch today and had to make an emergency landing in my city, St. Louis. Here he is at our airport, killing time:

obamastuck460jul07.jpg

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...4A352ADA5F4296168625747F005D1F1C?OpenDocument

speculawyer said:
And McCain thinks he's gonna cut the deficit by 'winning the war'? WTF? :lol The only thing more absurd than that is that some people might actually believe it.

And if someone demands to know the answer to the question of what exactly "winning" the war in Iraq involves, the answer would be equally as rosy and unrealistic.

I actually don't know what that answer would be, but I'm sure it would be unrealistic.

JayDubya said:
Is it a hope because you want to save NYC from him, or because you need your political party card taken away yet again?
I assume that is gun-based thinking? . . . that really isn't an area I care much about. I'm concerned with fiscal responsibility and I think Bloomberg would help in that area.

Frank the Great said:
Nixon was a surprisingly good President, outside of his political crimes.
Nixon was a god compared to W.

But still . . . it is pretty embarassing to have a landslide vote for a crook. It doesn't say much about our collective judge of character.

Edwards would definitely be the best VP choice. The reason I said it's down to Sebelius or Biden is because I think Edwards has stated that he would rather be Attorney General.

GhaleonEB

This entire election reminds me of how The Onion framed the Carter-Reagan race in "Our Dumb Century". I can't find the article online, but oddly there's a website devoted to the lead quote from each: http://killthebastards.net/

It was -

"Carter: Let's Talk Better Mileage"

"Reagan: Kill the Bastards"

Jimmy Carter: "We have an opportunity to use American technology and know-how to develop our own alternate, renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, freeing us from our reliance on foreign oil. This is sound policy, not just for America, but for the Planet Earth."

Ronald Reagan: "While much of what President Carter says is true, he is missing one very important point. That is, if America is to continue to prosper in the 1980s and beyond, we must join together and kill the bastards."

Frank the Great said:
Not even close dude. Nixon won every single state except MA and DC in '72, and Reagan won every state besides DC and MN in '84.

Anyway, I doubt Clinton is going to be on the ticket. At this point, it's really looking like either Biden or Sebelius.

I meant the biggest landslide victory for this day and age. Politics today is vastly different then 24+ years ago.

What I meant by "old school" politician is her style of politics. Haven't you been paying attention to anything Obama has been saying? And don't call me a prick.

And how am I hating on her? I just think she would be wrong for the Veep. Yeah, that makes me such a hater.

And those people that voted for the Iraq war and endorsed Obama? Guess what? They won't be on his Veep list, either.

Didn't mean to call you a prick. Meant to say that it makes you sound like a prick. Sorry about that.

How are you hating on her? Well, look, heres the key difference between someone like me and someone like you. I know theres tons of Hilary supporters and Obama supporters and they just have nothing nice to say overall, or just point out all the faults on the other. I don't do that. Why? Because they're both fundamentally have the same ideals on how politics should be done in this country. Back when Hilary was winning and it looked like she was going to win, I liked the idea of Obama as VP. If Clinton was today's nominee, I'd still feel the same way. It might be just because he doesn't have enough of a track record to hate him for anything. Of course, you should expect some sort of record on Clinton. They've been in Politics for a long time.

Anyways, going to my campus now. Laters, nice talking.

bob_arctor said:
?? What? How?

From a long term perspective it might fuck over Obama. There's a very high possibility that we'll still be in Iraq in 2012, and if that's the case the guy who promised to end the war will look pretty bad during reelection.
Especially against God's Candidate himself, Mike Huckabee

JayDubya

Banned
speculawyer said:
I assume that is gun-based thinking? . . . that really isn't an area I care much about.

I noticed.

Or apparently, taxation, or healthcare, or education, property rights in general, or a lot of other issues where you'd ostensibly find a centrist authoritarian kind of odious, but hey.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tamanon said:
Yeah, I was actually down in Charlotte and was going to swing by the school he was having the meeting at to be on the ropeline dangit. Stupid aeroplanes!
Which school was this?

Tamanon

Banned
Not a great sign for Barr

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub..._favor_obama_and_other_looks_at_election_2008

Libertarian voters make up 4% of the nation’s likely voters and they favor Barack Obama over John McCain by a 53% to 38% margin. Three percent (3%) would vote for some other candidate and 5% are not sure. These results, from an analysis of 15,000 Likely Voter interviews conducted by Rasmussen Reports, challenges the conventional wisdom which assumes that strong support for a Libertarian candidate would hurt John McCain.

In June, Rasmussen Reports asked 15,000 Likely Voters if they were fiscally conservative, moderate, or liberal and if they were socially conservative, moderate, or liberal. This created a total of 16 possible combinations (not sure was a fourth option for both questions). However, 87% of voters fit into one of seven combinations. Libertarians, defined as fiscally conservative and socially liberal, are the smallest of these seven combinations.

When you're only pulling 3% of the Libertarian vote...... although it's funny that McCain is losing that vote also.

Hito: I forget the name, it was a middle school that he was having a meeting with families at, or was going to. Was invitation only.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
James Martin Middle School... that's right next to UNC Charlotte. It would have been a short hop on 485 away, although I'm sure traffic would have been hell.

GhaleonEB

This is rather rich:

McCain Complains About Congressional Recess After Missing 367 Votes

This seems legitimate...

McCain took Congress to task for taking a July 4 recess without completing action on a housing rescue plan, calling it "incredible that Congress should go on vacation while Americans are trying to stay in their homes."

...until you realize that John McCain has missed 367 votes in the 110th Congress. He is the most absent member of the Senate.
http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/archives/2008/07/8917_mccain_complain.html

If only they didn't take the recess, McCain could have missed a few more votes.

JayDubya said:
I noticed.

Or apparently, taxation, or healthcare, or education, property rights in general, or a lot of other issues where you'd ostensibly find a centrist authoritarian kind of odious, but hey.

Well . . . I can't be too far from the Libertarian norm:
Libertarian voters make up 4% of the nation’s likely voters and they favor Barack Obama over John McCain by a 53% to 38% margin. Three percent (3%) would vote for some other candidate and 5% are not sure. These results, from an analysis of 15,000 Likely Voter interviews conducted by Rasmussen Reports, challenges the conventional wisdom which assumes that strong support for a Libertarian candidate would hurt John McCain.
:D

Top 10 answers voters gave to describe candidates
By The Associated Press
The top 10 answers people volunteered when asked to describe presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama, according to an Associated Press-Yahoo! News poll released Monday. Included is the percentage of people who gave each answer. More than one response was allowed.
John McCain:
1. Old, 19 percent
2. Military service, 9 percent
3. Record, qualifications, 8 percent
4. Bush, 7 percent
5. Strength, 7 percent
6. Insider, politician, 7 percent
7. Iraq, terrorism, 6 percent
8. Honest, 5 percent
9. Republican, 5 percent
10. (tie) Moral/good and dishonest, 4 percent

Barack Obama:
1. Outsider, change, 20 percent
2. Lack of experience, 13 percent
3. Dishonest, 9 percent
4. Inspiring, 8 percent
5. Liberal, 6 percent
6, 7 (tie). Obama's race, young, 6 percent
8. Not likable, 5 percent
9. Intelligent, 4 percent
10. Muslim, 3 percent

Oh come on! I refuse to believe that 3 percent *really* associate Muslim with Obama. They are just being wise-asses.

Not likable? WTF?

Dishonest? How did Obama get that label? The capaign-funding opt-out?

http://news.yahoo.com/page/election-2008-political-pulse-candidates-descriptions

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
speculawyer said:
Oh come on! I refuse to believe that 3 percent *really* associate Muslim with Obama. They are just being wise-asses.

Not likable? WTF?

Dishonest? How did Obama get that label?

04-26-2006.NGL_25Hannity.GV41SBF5L.1.jpg

speculawyer said:

Not likable? WTF?

Coming from an extended racist Italian family, I understand that there are some people who will believe what they want to believe despite the facts. There are people in my family convinced that Obama is a Muslim "Manchurian candidate" - those are their words, not mine.

The people calling Obama dishonest are probably also racist. There are A LOT of older white people who simply do not trust black people (just like there are A LOT of older blacks who don't trust whites.)

The race issue is huge this election. If Obama was the same exact person but with white skin and the name John Smith, there wouldn't even be a contest in November.

TheLegend

Frank the Great said:
Coming from an extended racist Italian family, I understand that there are some people who will believe what they want to believe despite the facts. There are people in my family convinced that Obama is a Muslim "Manchurian candidate" - those are their words, not mine.
Same here, hope it doesn't really represent the majority of Italian Americans or Jersey may be closer than some think. One of my extended relatives is convinced that he's going to enslave the white race when/if he gets elected.

Anyway, I don't know election history too well, but weren't similar claims made against JFK about being the first Catholic president (Not about enslaving the white race but taking orders from the Pope or something)? I just Wiki'd the 1960 election, he did pretty well in the Electoral College, but the Popular Vote was extremely close. I still wouldn't rule out a blowout for Obama, but the longer this goes on the more I think it's going to be extremely close.

reilo

Hootie said:
No Olbermann again? Damnit

But we get Maddow!

Karma Kramer said:
I like Maddow.

I think shes hot.

I think I want to stick my penis in her vagina.

Good thing she likes female tongue instead.

Tamanon

Banned
McCain actually said "Increasing our oil supplies will send a message to the market and lower prices!".....

That's what the market needed, a good MESSAGE!

Underpants gnome McCain indeed.

Or as Rachel said, Videogame economics. "Win the war, make money!"

reilo

Rachel proclaimed there is an exciting announcement in regards to Keith Olbermann coming up.

Interesting. New show? Maddow to take over the 5PM slot, Olbermann to take over something else?

Tamanon

Banned
reilo said:
Rachel proclaimed there is an exciting announcement in regards to Keith Olbermann coming up.

Interesting. New show? Maddow to take over the 5PM slot, Olbermann to take over something else?

No, it's about Dan Patrick rejoining Olbermann on Sunday Night Football's show, calling the highlights with him.

reilo

Tamanon said:
No, it's about Dan Patrick rejoining Olbermann on Sunday Night Football's show, calling the highlights with him.

REALLLY?!

Niiiiice.

Tamanon

Banned
"I believe my party has gone astray," Mystery Republican said, criticizing GOP stands on environmental and minority issues. "I think the Democratic Party is a fine party, and I have no problems with it, in their views and their philosophy," he said.

The Mystery Republican took on President Bush for failing to prepare Americans for a long involvement in Iraq, saying, "You can't fly in on an aircraft carrier and declare victory and have the deaths continue. You can't do that."

Mystery Man said the U.S. should seek more U.N. involvement in Iraq. "Many people in this room question, legitimately, whether we should have gone in or not," he said.

Name that Mystery Person!

The 2004 McCain, a rare and odd beast indeed

Oh god, they showed the McCain "That's not change we can believe in" mugging again. Looks even worse afterewards.:lol

Huh. I thought this was a bit of an interesting read:

Velvet Park | Dyke Culture in Bloom
Summer Issue, 2005

Rachel Maddow: Straight Talk
by Alix Olsen

I pull up in front of a charming Massachusetts country home, with a black Subaru and a red pick-up truck parked in the driveway (lesbian home, anyone?), overlooking a flooding river. Rachel bounds out in mud boots to greet me and direct my parking. We settle in front of a roaring fire with mugs of coffee and have a chat.

Velvet Park: Obligatory coming out story — this is for a lesbian magazine, afterall.

Rachel Maddow: I started to figure out I was queer in high school. I was a jock and lettered in three sports (volleyball, basketball and swimming). I had the choice to go to Stanford, or to play sports at a few colleges on scholarship, but I had a shoulder injury and would have had to stay at home for another year to recuperate. I decided I couldn't stay at home for another year during my coming out process!

Vp: So, was Stanford a worthwhile experience in that regard?

RM: Yes! I definitely stated sleeping with girls and that was a nice confirming experience. I was like, 'oh, that's what's going on below my chin.' I wrote a coming out letter and posted it in all of the dorm bathrooms. I wanted to get it over with, to have everyone know at once, and also to provoke people who couldn't handle it. But I graduated early. Stanford was all bright-eyed and bushy tailed and into inline skating and (grimaces) jogging and e-mail. I moved to a queer house in San Francisco and worked at Espresso Bongo. Growing up as a queer kid in the Bay Area, you know, Act Up was going on there was all of this deep important resonance for me. I was particularly drawn in by the chapter informed by the radicalism of the 1970's. I realized, then, that we couldn't have a true AIDS movement until HIV folks were not quarantined in prisons, not dying alone. This was the real deal. These prison issues, became clear things, things that needed to be done, and nobody was putting pressure on the prisons to make it better. The sexy, connected, activist types, I think, felt like these prison issues were a big black box. Like, how do you make a different there? I decided to make it my mission to make prison politics understandable, less mysterious, less hopeless, to the sexy folks in the AIDS movement.

more at link

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I realized, then, that we couldn't have a true AIDS movement until HIV folks were not quarantined in prisons, not dying alone.
Guess that's why Huckabee and JayDubya don't like Maddow.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Probably old but I'll post anyways

For any of you coming out to Denver for the convention, Obama announced today that he will give his acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium rather than the Pepsi Center. Mile High Stadium hold's over 75,000 people where the Pepsi Center only holds about 20,000. So it will be easier to get tickets. Now word yet on how tickets will be handled. The Mayor made the following comments about tickets.

"I think that they will have a good ticket process. It's one event, one evening and they are pretty clear on how they want to go about opening it up and making sure it is a broad cross section. They want people from all walks of society to be able to come."

"It's going to be a long shot. In truth your chances of getting a ticket aren't very good, but they are a lot better now than they were yesterday."

"It's going to be a long shot. In truth your chances of getting a ticket aren't very good, but they are a lot better now than they were yesterday."
Really? This guy really is a rockstar . . . who else can sell-out stadiums?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
PhoenixDark said:
From a long term perspective it might fuck over Obama. There's a very high possibility that we'll still be in Iraq in 2012, and if that's the case the guy who promised to end the war will look pretty bad during reelection.
Especially against God's Candidate himself, Mike Huckabee

"a high possibility that we'll still be in Iraq in 2012" makes it sound like the next president won't have a say in the matter.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
speculawyer said:
Really? This guy really is a rockstar . . . who else can sell-out stadiums?

No he is saying that 300,000 might want in, but only 65,000 will get a ticket. Making it hard to get a ticket.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Tamanon said:
McCain actually said "Increasing our oil supplies will send a message to the market and lower prices!".....

That's what the market needed, a good MESSAGE!

That's actually not crazy.

Government policy can signal whether something is going to be more or less expensive in the future and make the market react. McCain's saying that public intentions to increase the oil supply will signal a lower future price, so anyone who is speculating by holding oil reserves will want to sell now, which would drive down the price immediately.

But that only works if prices are high because of stockpiling (they're not) and we could produce enough oil to affect prices in the future (we can't).

So it is kind of crazy. Just not in the abstract.

Mandark said:
That's actually not crazy.

Government policy can signal whether something is going to be more or less expensive in the future and make the market react. McCain's saying that public intentions to increase the oil supply will signal a lower future price, so anyone who is speculating by holding oil reserves will want to sell now, which would drive down the price immediately.

But that only works if prices are high because of stockpiling (they're not) and we could produce enough oil to affect prices in the future (we can't).

So it is kind of crazy. Just not in the abstract.

this is the same guy no more than 3 weeks ago stated that none of this will have an immediate impact(20 to 30 years from now) but its good for our psyche!!! Really now

Tamanon

Banned
As if Lanny Davis isn't bad enough, Howard Wolfson has joined onto FOX. No word on whether his sweaters signed a deal also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom