• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
maybe Gaborn's passionate defense is indicative of his hopes of becoming McCain's running mate?

on a side note, does anyone see the irony of the 'no sexism' disclaimer in the first post of the thread juxtaposed with the 'wizard of oz' subtlety below it?

Gaborn

scorcho said:
maybe Gaborn's passionate defense is indicative of his hopes of becoming McCain's running mate?

on a side note, does anyone see the irony of the 'no sexism' disclaimer in the first post of the thread juxtaposed with the 'wizard of oz' subtlety below it?

I AM NOT A MCCAIN SUPPORTER! and I fail to see why you bait me with that when you know damn well I'm a libertarian.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GhaleonEB said:
Seriously. I haven't gotten this tired of an argment since APF got banned.

I like Gaborn and JayDubya. Obviously they are wrong about almost everything, but they are thoughtful and pleasant when required.

scorcho

or...

maybe he's angling for a MCCAIN SUPPORTER tag that links back to mccain's golf gear...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
This thread has been destroyed. Gaborn it's all your fault.

The End.

Gaborn

DarienA said:
This thread has been destroyed. Gaborn it's all your fault.

The End.

It's my fault because I had an opinion, some people disagreed (and resorted to personal insults in some cases) and I defended my opinion? It takes two people to argue.

Reilo - I'm not baiting, I'm disagreeing with people, and I'm backing up my assertions and actually examining evidence provided to me. Accusing me of being a McCain supporter, an Ass, and that I think Obama's a communist is baiting however, at least in my opinion.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gaborn said:
No, it's not the media's fault that McCain is running in the shadow of a largely hated president at all. As I said, despite attempts to paint me as such I'm NOT a McCain supporter, I do find large disparities in coverage interesting though.

So then what's the problem?!

Obama gets good media coverage because he's energized the country and he's a pretty clean politician. McCain struggles to get any coverage at all, let alone positive, because he's a boring old man without any original ideas.

It's not the media's responsibility to figure out a magical way to equalize coverage between candidates, and certainly not positive/negative stories. That certainly wouldn't mean news organizations were 'unbiased' either.

Jeez, that Mother Teresa coverage sure is overwhelmingly positive! Where's the other side to this story?*

*Not a comparison to be taken seriously.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Gaborn said:
It's my fault because I had an opinion, some people disagreed (and resorted to personal insults in some cases) and I defended my opinion? It takes two people to argue.

It's always easier to place the blame entirely on someone else during a back and forth eh?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Gaborn said:
But a lot less than "constantly for months" Especially when that's just the candidate's coverage and the actual airtime as a campaign story was 6.4%.

I stand by my statement, it was bad for about 2 weeks (as the article says) but beyond that coverage dropped sharply.

Mumei - and YOU realize that when you have 39.5% of the campaign coverage over a 2 week span and at the end of 5 months the coverage it got was 6.4% there's a SIGNIFICANT drop well below that 6.4% for a long while, especially if you factor in the "2nd place story" spikes it got for a couple weeks.

SHARPLY DROPPED TO THE NUMBER 2 STORY!!!!

What is it about you that just doesn't let you understand stats? It dropped to be the number 2 story. Do you not understand that being the number 2 story is heavy media coverage also?

scorcho

this internet is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

other tag alternatives for gaborn include -

weak arguments, strongly held

or

all inductive reasoning is good

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
scorcho said:
this internet is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

other tag alternatives for gaborn include -

weak arguments, strongly held

or

all inductive reasoning is good

Or

"Wishes the free market would provide him with better opinions"

<3. Smile, you jerk!

Gaborn

Dan said:

So then what's the problem?!

Obama gets good media coverage because he's energized the country and he's a pretty clean politician. McCain struggles to get any coverage at all, let alone positive, because he's a boring old man without any original ideas.

It's not the media's responsibility to figure out a magical way to equalize coverage between candidates, and certainly not positive/negative stories. That certainly wouldn't mean news organizations were 'unbiased' either.

Jeez, that Mother Teresa coverage sure is overwhelmingly positive! Where's the other side to this story?*

*Not a comparison to be taken seriously.

Well, I'm honestly at this point not totally sure where the problem is. Again, for me this discussion was NOT about McCain. For me this discussion started here and people have spend the next several pages trying to indicate where I'm wrong, without actually providing evidence that my comment was wrong, although I did expand on it a bit later when I clarified that the Wright story was big, in my estimation for 2 weeks and scaled back afterward. Beyond that... I don't really have any disagreements.

Reilo - For you, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

scorcho

Gaborn said:
... and people have spend the next several pages trying to indicate where I'm wrong, without actually providing evidence that my comment was wrong...
who has to prove what to whom?

Gaborn

scorcho said:
who has to prove what to whom?

Well, I asserted an opinion. People claimed I was factually wrong. So... the people who disagree with me would probably be the people in the best position to indicate that I'm mistaken in my opinion.

Anyway, it's 1 am, I'm probably going to bed now.

reilo

Gaborn said:
Well, I asserted an opinion. People claimed I was factually wrong. So... the people who disagree with me would probably be the people in the best position to indicate that I'm mistaken in my opinion.

But your point wasn't that Obama received overwhelming positive coverage. Your point was that he received it more-so than ANY other candidate in existence.

That graph showing Obama having 69% positive coverage to Hillary's 67%? Yeah, that completely disproves your theory [or opinion, whatever the hell] that Obama receives more positive coverage than any candidate to date.

If you think two percent is an overwhelming difference in light to the bullshit Hillary has tried to pull, then I don't know what to tell you.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
why is gaborn's verbal diarrhea still showing up on my screen? this ignore function is worthless.

here, go jerk off for a while.

Gaborn

reilo said:
But your point wasn't that Obama received overwhelming positive coverage. Your point was that he received it more-so than ANY other candidate in existence.

That graph showing Obama having 69% positive coverage to Hillary's 67%? Yeah, that completely disproves your theory [or opinion, whatever the hell] that Obama receives more positive coverage than any candidate to date.

If you think two percent is an overwhelming difference in light to the bullshit Hillary has tried to pull, then I don't know what to tell you.

Well, technically I ASKED if anyone had received more positive coverage than he did, I thought he had, and i was right, you're right though, it wasn't by a significant margin though. Anyway though, bed time.

Ah, more demon, lovely. And again, reason why conservatives don't go into poligaf? Look above!

reilo

Gaborn said:
Well, technically I ASKED if anyone had received more positive coverage than he did, I thought he had, and i was right, you're right though, it wasn't by a significant margin though. Anyway though, bed time.

I'm sure if we dig deep enough we can find someone like JFK, RFK and Reagan receiving far more positive coverage during their election campaigns.

mckmas8808

Gaborn said:
I did expand on it a bit later when I clarified that the Wright story was big, in my estimation for 2 weeks and scaled back afterward.

Dude! It was scaled back to be the number 2 story for 4 more weeks. So it was the number 1 story for 2 weeks by far, then it was a close 2nd for 4 more weeks.

That adds up to be about what?......6 weeks right?

mckmas8808

Gaborn said:
Ah, more demon, lovely. And again, reason why conservatives don't go into poligaf? Look above!

And don't start this BS either. Just because you couldn't prove your point doesn't mean conservatives aren't allowed here.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gaborn said:
Well, I'm honestly at this point not totally sure where the problem is. Again, for me this discussion was NOT about McCain. For me this discussion started here and people have spend the next several pages trying to indicate where I'm wrong, without actually providing evidence that my comment was wrong, although I did expand on it a bit later when I clarified that the Wright story was big, in my estimation for 2 weeks and scaled back afterward. Beyond that... I don't really have any disagreements.
Your knack for changing the circumstances of the debate is confounding.

This line of discussion started back several pages when you complained about the amount of positive Obama coverage, in and of itself along with compared to other candidates. Then you said that the "ideal" was "50-50" of positive/negative coverage. You've yet to explain what kind of byzantine logic justifies the media proactively hunting for positive or negative stories to fulfill an arbitrary 'balance'. Nothing involved in that process would be inherently related to lacking bias or 'objectivity'.

At the heart of this discussion is your utterly distorted view on the media and its responsibilities.

Miroku

I'm a little late to the discussion but... Gaborn, The Rev Wright story being 10% of Obama's media coverage is an absolutely huge #. Think about all the other stuff they could be talking about. Also, Rev Wright was on my TV for a lot longer than 2 weeks.

Besides, its not always a question of quantity but of substance. That shit that FOX was spewing with the voice-overs and graphics and "YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HE DONE SAID NOW" sensationalism easily makes the story bigger than the numbers. CNN was even showing Wrights "different does not mean deficient" in its entirety for like 2 nights in a row on a fucking loop.

As was pointed out previously as well the media tended to go after the front runner at every opportunity. The motivations for that are simple and well understood.

If they're was some 'positive Obama coverage' conspiracy maybe they'd spend some time actually advertising his policies and perhaps reminding people he isn't Muslim. Maybe FOX would display his initials as BO not BHO.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Miroku said:
I'm a little late to the discussion but... Gaborn, The Rev Wright story being 10% of Obama's media coverage is an absolutely huge #. Think about all the other stuff they could be talking about. Also, Rev Wright was on my TV for a lot longer than 2 weeks.

Besides, its not always a question of quantity but of substance. That shit that FOX was spewing with the voice-overs and graphics and "YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HE DONE SAID NOW" sensationalism easily makes the story bigger than the numbers. CNN was even showing Wrights "different does not mean deficient" in its entirety for like 2 nights in a row on a fucking loop.

As was pointed out previously as well the media tended to go after the front runner at every opportunity. The motivations for that are simple and well understood.

If they're was some 'positive Obama coverage' conspiracy maybe they'd spend some time actually advertising his policies and perhaps reminding people he isn't Muslim. Maybe FOX would display his initials as BO not BHO.
What's wrong with giving his full initials? His initials are BHO </innocent>

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
electricpirate said:
Supposedly a Brooklyn Craft brewer has a an Obama "Hop" ale. I must find this!
Looks like it's sold out...

Sixpoint Craft Ales today announced the release of the "Hop Obama" ale in both New York State and Massachusetts. Beginning next week, all supporters of the democratic process will be able to hoist a glass of this limited-edition beer that was brewed in tribute to the inspiration that has been Senator Barack Obama's presidential campaign. The beer will be available in finer bars and restaurants for a limited time throughout both states. It is expected that the beer will only last for the duration of the Democratic primary hiatus, which begins Wednesday, March 12 and extends through April 22.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I was 10 feet from Poligafs biggest crush (Chelsea) today, and this libertarian stole my thunder :(

Zaptruder

Banned
It's a bit ironic that Gaborn riles against the free market when it's inconvenient for him.

Sorry Gaborn, but Obama is more interesting and gets media outlets higher ratings than McCain.

Arde5643

StoOgE said:
I was 10 feet from Poligafs biggest crush (Chelsea) today, and this libertarian stole my thunder :(
More like a parrot than a libertarian actually - a libertarian would've given a better debate.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I just want to throw this out there. As someone who once helped managed a bond fund and met with financial analysts regularly and considered himself a true fiscal conservative.

the market IS more efficient than government. The free market is more efficient at turning a profit... I quit that job and became a compliance officer when I saw how corrupt that whole process was.

Gaborn said:
I AM NOT A MCCAIN SUPPORTER! and I fail to see why you bait me with that when you know damn well I'm a libertarian.
babar.jpg

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I wonder if Colbert has permanently doomed Bob Barr, and by extension the Libertarian party, with that comparison of his

Odrion

Banned
So uh, did Hillary actually concede? Did she make a speech about it?

I thought Friday would be it, and we'd all be cheering, so what is going on?

camineet

Banned
Odrion said:
So uh, did Hillary actually concede? Did she make a speech about it?

I thought Friday would be it, and we'd all be cheering, so what is going on?

later today (around noon eastern ? ).

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Odrion said:
so she's dragging it out

I hope I never see or hear her again after Saturday.

If she is going to campaign on Obama's behalf, she will be an asset.

syllogism

Odrion said:
so she's dragging it out

I hope I never see or hear her again after Saturday.
no she is not "dragging it out". The event was rescheduled so more of her supporters could attend as Friday was RFK day

and yes, she will be an asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom