• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
omglol the press is only positive for mccain amirite? [roll eyes]

both candidates have shit their proverbial beds since wrapping up the nomination.

reilo said:
Positive press? I wouldn't hold my breath at this point.

It will be. Here you're going to see a Republican formally endorsing Obama, not only will it lend bi-partisan credentials, it will also add more anti-war and foreign policy fuel to the positive fire.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
reilo said:
Positive press? I wouldn't hold my breath at this point.

I think you have to give the MSM props for the last week, it was really good for Obama and they went after McCain hard for the "all in your head, whiners" gate.

scorcho

has this been mentioned yet?

080713_nyorkercover.jpg

New Yorker's satirical cover playing off the public's misconceptions of the Obamas.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0708/Ya_cant_make_it_up.html

Cheebs said:
How is it awful? It mocks the people who believe that.

It doesn't do a good enough job of showing that it's a mock. That's why it's awful. I understand what they're doing, but there's many people who will see that who don't.

GhaleonEB

ToyMachine228 said:
It doesn't do a good enough job of showing that it's a mock. That's why it's awful. I understand what they're doing, but there's many people who will see that who don't.
I was just coming in to say that. (Edit: wow, three times beaten.)

I get that it's an absurdist cover representing the email/internet "rumors". The article is about the politics of fear, but on balance, the cover is going to do more harm than good. Especially with the coverage it will probably get.

lopaz

Banned
Hey guys I've been out of the loop a bit recently, but yesterday I read an article in the paper talking about Obama's supposed flip-flops, and it mentioned he had changed his stance on abortion. I can't find anything on the internet about it though, could anyone fill me in on that?

Amir0x

Banned
maybe they just need to put some big text on the cover that says:

POLITICS OF FEAR: MYTHS, LIES AND OTHER THINGS IDIOTS BELIEVE IN

lopaz said:
Hey guys I've been out of the loop a bit recently, but yesterday I read an article in the paper talking about Obama's supposed flip-flops, and it mentioned he had changed his stance on abortion. I can't find anything on the internet about it though, could anyone fill me in on that?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/04/obama-on-late-abortion-me_n_110884.html

how one reacts to his comment depends on how you define "mental distress" I suppose. I think it's mostly him trying to avoid the "women should get abortions at 8 1/2 months if they feel sad one day" strawman that a lot of abortion opponents bring up

scorcho

ToyMachine228 said:
If that was on there, in huge text it would be a little better.
the New Yorker ain't like that man, and all the better for it.

while i don't mind the cover, i'd be a bit more weary were it the National Review publishing it instead.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If I saw that piece of art without The New Yorker's name on it, I don't think I'd have any reason to believe it were supposed to be satirical in any way. It'd just be right wing email fodder. I don't see anything that inherent to the image that says parody.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I received an email awhile back that showed a picture of McCain when he was in the military and Obama wearing that (Kenyan?) outfit, with the headline "Would you vote for a muslim?"

I wish there was a law that didn't allow people to vote if they believe in that kind of garbage.

lopaz

Banned

Cheebs

How many people read THE NEW YORKER that are too stupid to read the article to go along with the image? This is the fucking new yorker folks. I dont think anyone who reads that is under any belief Obama is muslim.

Diablos

It'll still create media buzz and Billy Bob and Jo Ann Dumblefuck will look at it and go "SEE I KNEW THAT THAR OBAMA WAS A MOZLUM TERRURUSS"

Cheebs said:
How many people read THE NEW YORKER that are too stupid to read the article to go along with the image? This is the fucking new yorker folks. I dont think anyone who reads that is under any belief Obama is muslim.

but look how quickly the image is being circulated....it's not about who reads it, it's about who SEES it

Cheebs said:

So the article is preaching to the choir!

:lol

Just face it... this was a bad idea for the New Yorker.

Xeke

Banned
monchi-kun said:
but look how quickly the image is being circulated....it's not about who reads it, it's about who SEES it

If people don't vote for him because of that then they were probably never going to vote for him in the first place

thefit

Its never funny when you have to explain a joke or in this case satire. This thing is already spreading like wildfire and it will take less than a second to attach that image to the lame e-mails circulating with the phrase "Top U.S. Magazine agrees: Obama is a Muslim!".
Jeebus.

thefit said:
Its never funny when you have to explain a joke or in this case satire. This thing is already spreading like wildfire and it will take less than a second to attach that image to the lame e-mails circulating with the phrase "Top U.S. Magazine agrees: Obama is a Muslim!".
Jeebus.

I would agree, but the fist bump makes it obvious what's going on.

lopaz

Banned
soul creator said:
according to this, he includes mental illnesses as well, but just thinks that "mental distress" is too vague a term.

Hm, not so bad I guess. I just really hope none of these apparent shifts are an attempt to pander to the centre. Republicans don't alter their message to hit the centre ground, neither should Democrats. Also given how his entire message is that he is a new kind of politician, it'd be assy to see him playing political games like that.

thefit

You know I would understand a tasteless attempt at satire at Obamas expense but why cross the line and bring Michelle into this? Is the artist also poking fun at the right wing for making her fair game whereas Cindy gets a pass? Why caricature her in black panther attire and and a nappy afro though? Again if you gotta explain it, it ain't funny.

thefit said:
You know I would understand a tasteless attempt at satire at Obamas expense but why cross the line and bring Michelle into this? Is the artist also poking fun at the right wing for making her fair game whereas Cindy gets a pass? Why caricature her in black panther attire and and a nappy afro though? Again if you gotta explain it, it ain't funny.

Why do you have to explain it? There's a fist bump there. That's like saying "I don't get this cartoon. Why is Reagan breaking down the Berlin Wall? He wasn't there...."

Odrion

Banned
You know, if Obama's elected president a lot of people are going to realize how disrespectful they were.

I know that candidates get labels on them, but Obama's must of been some of the worst. What other canidates have been called secret evil religious terrorists?

minus_273

Banned
Odrion said:
You know, if Obama's elected president a lot of people are going to realize how disrespectful they were.

I know that candidates get labels on them, but Obama's must of been some of the worst. What other canidates have been called secret evil religious terrorists?

im pretty sure people have said everything under the sun (including causing a tsunami) about bush and no one has realized how disrespectful they were, so i wouldnt hold your breath on this one.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
minus_273 said:
im pretty sure people have said everything under the sun (including causing a tsunami) about bush and no one has realized how disrespectful they were, so i wouldnt hold your breath on this one.

Did they say these things during his first presidential campaign, or after they realized what a colossal fuck up he's been?

No candidate has had these labels thrown at them before they've even won the nomination.

Odrion

Banned
minus_273 said:
Did they say these things during his first presidential campaign, or after they realized what a colossal fuck up he's been?

No candidate has had these labels thrown at them before they've even won the nomination.

edit: damn, beaten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom