• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
2mgm4k9.png

Barack Obama's campaign is condemning as “tasteless and offensive” a New Yorker magazine cover that depicts Obama in a turban, fist-bumping his gun-slinging wife.

An American flag burns in their fireplace.

The New Yorker says it's satire. It certainly will be candy for cable news.

The Obama campaign quickly condemned the rendering. Spokesman Bill Burton said in a statement: “The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Sen. Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create. But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds quickly e-mailed: “We completely agree with the Obama campaign, it’s tasteless and offensive.”
more at link
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11719.html

The New Yorker may be a niche magazine that barely anyone reads outside of a few intellectuals here and there, but this is just stupid and only brings Obama more bad press.

GhaleonEB

PhoenixDark said:
more at link

The New Yorker may be a niche magazine that barely anyone reads outside of a few intellectuals here and there, but this is just stupid and only brings Obama more bad press.
I suggest reading the last page of the thread. Or at least scrolling down and looking for the cover. :p

BenjaminBirdie said:
That meat doesn't just look uncooked, it looks fucking reverse engineered.
It's not meat.

Well i guess this kind of maybe helps Obama in the sense of seeming less liberal. What with Jesse Jackson hating Obama and now with this situation with New Yorker... definitely makes him seem less liberal.

worldrunover said:
Fixed. Who the fuck is the New Yorker? Oh wait, didn't they have Lindsay Lohan nude? Yeah, they have no more real value after that.

No. That's New York magazine. The New Yorker has never had a non-cartoon cover probably ever.

BenjaminBirdie said:
No. That's New York magazine. The New Yorker has never had a non-cartoon cover probably ever.

Was New Yorker the one Elaine from Seinfeld wrote a comic for but it turned out to be stolen from a Ziggy?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
worldrunover said:
Fixed. Who the fuck is the New Yorker? Oh wait, didn't they have Lindsay Lohan nude? Yeah, they have no more real value after that.

The New Yorker prints Sy Hersh, including his exposes on Abu Ghraib and the Office of Special Plans, ya gobshite.

I understand the Obama campaign's worry that any of this imagery circling around will subtly reinforce the FUD tactics being used against him. But as a middle class liberal who dearly likes his irony, I say leave the NYer alone.

Mandark said:
The New Yorker prints Sy Hersh, including his exposes on Abu Ghraib and the Office of Special Plans, ya gobshite.

I understand the Obama campaign's worry that any of this imagery circling around will subtly reinforce the FUD tactics being used against him. But as a middle class liberal who dearly likes his irony, I say leave the NYer alone.

Seems like it'll do more harm than good to me. But I gotta say I'll get a good laugh (and healthy dose of irony) out of the media demonizing the NYer tomorrow and the rest of the week for irresponsible journalism

masud

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
more at link

You guy are being paranoid, how is this bad for Obama?
worldrunover said:
:lol No.

Clevinger

masud said:
You guy are being paranoid, how is this bad for Obama?

:lol No.

I commend the piece, but it's likely to do more harm than good. The average person who sees the magazine on a shelf or whatever, or on the various news networks that'll be covering this non-stop, likely won't read the accompanying article that explains its intent. They'll just see an image that echoes their own prejudice, or ones they've heard or read and feel it confirms it by a respected source.

Likewise, those muslim emails will likely just attach this image and say, "Well, this is the New Yorker, a respected magazine also saying Michelle is a crazy bitch and Obama's a flag hating Muslim."

GhaleonEB

Cloudy said:
In this campaign, there are honest differences over Iraq, and we should discuss them with the thoroughness they deserve. Unlike Senator McCain, I would make it absolutely clear that we seek no presence in Iraq similar to our permanent bases in South Korea, and would redeploy our troops out of Iraq and focus on the broader security challenges that we face. But for far too long, those responsible for the greatest strategic blunder in the recent history of American foreign policy have ignored useful debate in favor of making false charges about flip-flops and surrender.

It’s not going to work this time. It’s time to end this war.
Right on.

masud

Banned
Clevinger said:
I commend the piece, but it's likely to do more harm than good. The average person who sees the magazine on a shelf or whatever, or on the various news networks that'll be covering this non-stop, likely won't read the accompanying article that explains its intent. They'll just see an image that echoes their own prejudice, or ones they've heard or read and feel it confirms it by a respected source.

Likewise, those muslim emails will likely just attach this image and say, "Well, this is the New Yorker, a respected magazine also saying Michelle is a crazy bitch and Obama's a flag hating Muslim."
offs
Give people a little more credit than that. I know, I know people are dumb but saying that any sizable amount of people are gonna be swayed in either direction because of an illustration implies far more than stupidity. Will some use the image to reinforce their beliefs? Sure, but these people weren't voting for Obama anyway.

I think the cover is great.

Besides how many hillbillies in Bubba Creek are reading the New Yorker anyway? And if this cover gets forwarded to ignorant people they were probably going to vote for ignorant reasons anyway. It's not like this cover is the tipping point for redneck yokels.

My last reply was sitting on the submit page for several hours, so I didn't see the latest responses.

Boo Obama. No need to denounce and repudiate the New Yorker cover. Now it's just going to get more airplay. Unless that's what the Obama campaign wants...

Socreges

Banned
has anyone sent an e-mail to DailyKos with the picture of their own apparent obama-smear-ad?? and how come i cant post comments below that article?

Karma Kramer said:

Wow.....

The media fucking sickens me. Shit like this has consequences on a national level...this is going to get a week of coverage, all so that The New Yorker can get some publicity.

Obama already condemned it? Expect that to bring up the Muslim/Arab question of "Why can't he associate with us?" as it did when those people were removed from the front row. It also brings up this "Is he a Muslim? Is she a Black Radical?" shit again, regardless of the message.

I've never seen satire really work here in America, shit like Borat always gets a good laugh but nobody is sitting their thinking about the ridiculousness of it. Colbert pulls it off I guess. This magazine cover is going to be completely negative though...in this age of youtube and face books and blogs and all the ways in which media is transmitted, this just can't end well.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Liara T'Soni said:
The media fucking sickens me. Shit like this has consequences on a national level...this is going to get a week of coverage, all so that The New Yorker can get some publicity.

Don't be dumb.

Jonm1010

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
Wow.....

Obama already condemned it? Expect that to bring up the Muslim/Arab question of "Why can't he associate with us?" as it did when those people were removed from the front row. It also brings up this "Is he a Muslim? Is she a Black Radical?" shit again, regardless of the message.

I've never seen satire really work here in America, shit like Borat always gets a good laugh but nobody is sitting their thinking about the ridiculousness of it. Colbert pulls it off I guess. This magazine cover is going to be completely negative though...in this age of youtube and face books and blogs and all the ways in which media is transmitted, this just can't end well.

Seriously? have you read the New Yorker? The readers and subscribers of this magazine are not sitting there thinking this is anything but poking fun at the lunacy of the labels he is given. And as another poster pointed out, no one will be swayed by this, except those that are looking to reinforce they're beliefs and there probably to dumb to read the article anyways and weren't gonna vote for him in the first place.

Mandark said:
Don't be dumb.

Don't be a condescending dick.

A photo this provocative isn't put out there to incite intelligent discourse. Just look at it....I see shit like this on websites I can't link to on gaf. This is no better then that sideways Fox news "Some would say...." bullshit.

i wouldn't be surprised if barack himself got a little chuckle out of the cover. of course he and his campaign will publicly "condemn" it.

just comes to show how far back we are, i guess. throw in a little high brow satire and the nation explodes

Jonm1010 said:
Seriously? have you read the New Yorker? The readers and subscribers of this magazine are not sitting there thinking this is anything but poking fun at the lunacy of the labels he is given. And as another poster pointed out, no one will be swayed by this, except those that are looking to reinforce they're beliefs and there probably to dumb to read the article anyways and weren't gonna vote for him in the first place.

Time will tell.

This will end up sum-negative for Obama, when all is said and done, that's what's relevant to me.

How many times must we use these same "The people that believe that/say that/vote this way wouldn't vote for Obama anyways" line? I think you overestimate America. This shit adds on to a narrative. Look, I hate Hannity as much as anyone, and I barely watch fox news, but every time I do entertain myself with his stupidity I hear the same line : "You've got the wright stuff, the ayers stuff, the bitter comments, his wifes comments, fisa, etc etc etc"...as much as I dislike him, I can't deny that he has a point about Obama. There is a lot of shit snowballing around him right now, he doesn't need this kind of bullshit.

Oh dear lord, I understand fucking satire and parody.

To derail the issue into whether or not I think the New Yorker is trying to disrespect Obama is ridiculous.

I'm talking about bad press, media narrative, and how people associate various forms of media with ideas.

Are you guys saying that a story of this on CNN would be a good thing for Obama right now? If not, then what exactly is the problem?

Edit : Excuse me for venting on the media a bit. If I had known that the MSM-DF was to arrive so soon, I wouldn't have said anything.

I am completely with Liara T'Soni on this one. Frankly after what the Bush administration has done to this country, I am fucking appalled at the lack of outrage and protest that is going around. I am shocked by how easy it was for a dumb fuck like George Bush to do the shit he did and get away with it.

This cover is absolutely the wrong idea. I understand the satire, but its just bullshit. Its fucking bullshit that a guy like Barack Obama has to deal with shit like this. Its really disgusting and the New Yorker should be ashamed of themselves for putting Barack in this situation.

America has become indifferent to everything.

*goes to watch The Network*

What are we supposed to get outraged about? An ill-advised cover by a latte-sipping, fig-eating, upper-west Manhattan elitist mag? If retards spam it everywhere, that's on them.

Plus, you get outrage fatigue after eight years of Bush. I thought that would be self-explanatory.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
The problem is that you think the New Yorker has some sort of obligation to the Obama campaign, and it "fucking sickens" you that they haven't lived up to that.

The cover is completely within the magazine's tradition of satirical illustrations and it's inane to suggest that they should steer away from a clever visual gag for fear of doing some less than marginal damage to Obama's candidacy. It's just as inane to think the magazine was trying to gin up a controversy for one news cycle's worth of publicity.

icarus-daedelus said:
What are we supposed to get outraged about? An ill-advised cover by a latte-sipping, fig-eating, upper-west Manhattan elitist mag? If retards spam it everywhere, that's on them.

Plus, you get outrage fatigue after eight years of Bush. I thought that would be self-explanatory.

Outraged about the entire thing. Heres a fucking man. Who's done nothing but good for this country... and yet he is being treated like shit by our media. All for ratings.

Its really absolutely appalling that ethics and moral responsibility is no longer prevalent anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CCDUXVD2d8

Karma Kramer said:
Outraged about the entire thing. Heres a fucking man. Who's done nothing but good for this country... and yet he is being treated like shit by our media. All for ratings.
Lots of people ITT have been complaining incessantly about ratings-driven media. I dunno where you're coming from.

KK said:
Its really absolutely appalling that ethics and moral responsibility is no longer prevalent anymore.
Yes, yes, good old days, yadda yadda, but since when has American politics focused on ethics and moral responsibility except on accident?

edit: f u mandark, beat me by mere seconds!

Mandark said:
As opposed to when?

Watergate is a pretty excellent example.

The only way to keep the media in accordance... is protest. Which is something that is no longer prevalent in America. Thats my main point.

I mean in 1700's Americans fought and died for the rights we have today (not really have anymore) and yet people are now willing to give up those rights without even thinking a second about it.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Watergate? Where the investigation came down to two reporters at the Post, while the TV networks, wire services, NY Times and every other major daily didn't bother digging?

Seriously?

Mandark said:
The problem is that you think the New Yorker has some sort of obligation to the Obama campaign, and it "fucking sickens" you that they haven't lived up to that.

The cover is completely within the magazine's tradition of satirical illustrations and it's inane to suggest that they should steer away from a clever visual gag for fear of doing some less than marginal damage to Obama's candidacy. It's just as inane to think the magazine was trying to gin up a controversy for one news cycle's worth of publicity.

Now you're just putting words in my mouth.

The only obligation - hell it's not even an obligation, more like a wish - that I place on the media is to report facts in an unbiased manner, which has not happened since Obama has won the nomination.

I'm simply angry that this is more shit his campaign has to deal with now, more stupid, irrelevant, outside bullshit being brought to the forefront.

Just so you can discontinue peeing your pants : I was overreacting when I implied that the New Yorker did this for publicity (Actually, I wouldn't put it past them, seeing as they are a media outlet, but whatever, I don't read them so I can't say that). However, I do not believe that their message is going to reach many ears, and I'm nearly certain that the point they were trying to convey through this picture will be turned around and used in a way that is completely opposite of their intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom