• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamanon said:
Now that it's hitting McCain, of course Ben Smith is all about how useful context is. Although one has to think there's not much context that would help the social security and whiners comments.

He was talking about American leadership being whiners, not the citizens.

Tamanon

Banned
worldrunover said:

That makes even less sense, since most of the American leaders were all about being optimistic and "we'll pull through this slight slowdown any second now!"

Tamanon said:
That makes even less sense, since most of the American leaders were all about being optimistic and "we'll pull through this slight slowdown any second now!"

Oh please, they talk about a new crisis every other day.

Tamanon

Banned
They do 'em every few weeks or so. But I don't put much into national polls, state polls are the real nitty-gritty, thanks to the electoral college.

I can see that the Newsweek poll will be the talk of the town. Again it will be, "what's wrong with Barack Obama?" The media will claim to have nothing to do with the state of the race and pat themselves on the back for saying all along that it's been a tight race despite other polls. Meanwhile, they high-five themselves behind the camera for mission accomplished. David Gregory must be as giddy as a school-girl.

Tamanon said:
They do 'em every few weeks or so. But I don't put much into national polls, state polls are the real nitty-gritty, thanks to the electoral college.

State polls are what matter really but National polls make the media happy.

Tamanon

Banned
:lol this Ron Christie guy, a rep strategist is on MSNBC, he just said "Democrats just don't realize that the American people are out there spending more money than ever and doing more traveling than ever"

What world is he living in?

Uncooked

Banned
Tamanon said:
:lol this Ron Christie guy, a rep strategist is on MSNBC, he just said "Democrats just don't realize that the American people are out there spending more money than ever and doing more traveling than ever"

1999?

Tamanon said:

Black is white. White is black. Opposite land.

Black republicans are a funny lil bunch.

Tamanon said:

Maybe he meant as in saving money? Isn't there a problem of Americans not saving their money over the past decade?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
worldrunover said:
Oh please, they talk about a new crisis every other day.

Forget all that. THe man was walking about the American people. Not the politicians.

mckmas8808

Did you guys hear that the military believes that we can pull out 90,000 troops by next spring?

mckmas8808 said:
Forget all that. THe man was walking about the American people. Not the politicians.

He wasn't talking about the American people in general, nor was he suggesting that people who are upset about losing their job are "whining". In the quote he's referring to those who play chicken little with respect to the imminent downfall of America - ie the loss of competitiveness, America in decline, etc. With the context in mind it seems more like a swipe at liberals and the media than average joes pissed that they can't fill up the tank.

Kinda ironic that Obama of all people would attack a politician over comments someone else made, especially considering the...nuanced nature of said comments.

Door2Dawn

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Did you guys hear that the military believes that we can pull out 90,000 troops by next spring?
7d4be1a42161dd9db13f.jpg

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

Tamanon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
He wasn't talking about the American people in general, nor was he suggesting that people who are upset about losing their job are "whining". In the quote he's referring to those who play chicken little with respect to the imminent downfall of America - ie the loss of competitiveness, America in decline, etc. With the context in mind it seems more like a swipe at liberals and the media than average joes pissed that they can't fill up the tank.

Kinda ironic that Obama of all people would attack a politician over comments someone else made, especially considering the...nuanced nature of said comments.

Fair's fair. McCain has seen fit to assail Obama for stuff people who don't even work for him say. :p

On an unrelated note, Arnold said he'd take a cabinet position under Obama. Weird world today.:lol

Tamanon said:
Fair's fair. McCain has seen fit to assail Obama for stuff people who don't even work for him say. :p

Despite Obama's bad week(s) McCain still hasn't found a great way to attack him. Instead he's making some of the weakest/lowest jabs possible, and has been for months. The "Obama flip flopper" tag seems to be sticking but honestly it fits McCain much better than it fits Obama - but Obama's camp doesn't seem interested in using it while McCain seems to have no choice but to use it.

It's interesting how the media has managed to manipulate the issues so well that Obama's position on Iraq is now somehow worse than McCain's lol. How many times do I have to hear "uhhh Obama doesn't want to debate Iraq, he wants to talk about the economy." WTF? Even if Obama did flip on Iraq his position is still far better than McCain's, which isn't as much of a plan as it is a one way ticket to prolonged violence and deaths.

mckmas8808

PhoenixDark said:

Even then it's a stupid ass statement. The downturn is real as shit! There's no getting around that PD and you know that.

People are talking about GM, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc possibly failing and getting government bailouts. This shit is real.

Oil prices shoot up 50% in 8 months to $145 a barrel. That's real.

Gas prices are up 30+% for last year to $4+ a gallon. That's real.

Housing market crashing. That's real.

Unemployement going up. And the worst employment for high schoolers since 1958! That's real.

The airplane industry is folding us right now. And it's happening right in front of our eyes. That's real.

GM is only worth like $7 billion now. That's horrible.

So again the media is actually getting it right when it comes to the economy. And honestly they are really just reporting what's going on. It's NOT IN OUR HEADS!

Eric P

mckmas8808 said:
Even then it's a stupid ass statement. The downturn is real as shit! There's no getting around that PD and you know that.

People are talking about GM, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc possibly failing and getting government bailouts. This shit is real.

Unemployement going up. And the worst employment for high schoolers since 1958! That's real.

The airplane industry is folding us right now. And it's happening right in front of our eyes. That's real.

So again the media is actually getting it right when it comes to the economy. And honestly they are really just reporting what's going on. It's NOT IN OUR HEADS!

the republicans tried to warn us when we wanted to raise minimum wage

why didn't we heed their warnings

:(

mckmas8808 said:

Dude, stop whining and go to church. then go by some guns jeez

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
mckmas8808 said:

Dont forget the third largest bank failure in US history.

In any case, if FHMC and FNMA go under, we are fucked total.

Tamanon said:

On an unrelated note, Arnold said he'd take a cabinet position under Obama. Weird world today.:lol

Secretary of Usunavabitches

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
worldrunover said:

"We've sort of become a Nation of Whiners."

Sorry, but that's talking about the whole damn country. That statement was just something he threw out there to try and put out the flames. It's certainly not our leadership that's doing the whining, otherwise Bush would be doing something besides sticking his finger up his nose when it comes to the economy.

Odrion

Banned
Tamanon said:

It's a good trick, if you just say the exact opposite of what's going on with a straight face people may not believe you but they won't think it's an outright lie and won't think that it's the opposite of what you said.

I'm not sure how much the VP selection affects the chances of a presidential ticket but I think if McCain picks Charlie Crist, the Republicans would have a fairly potent ticket. On top of, probably, securing Florida, Crist is a pretty solid speaker and a charismatic politician in general. He was outstanding when I saw him speak.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Tamanon said:
Eh, Crist has a problem in that Florida has worsened under his watch. Jeb was a MUCH better Governor.

Florida was just hit harder because it is very dependent on the housing market.
I don't necessarily believe that is Crist's fault.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm talking before even the housing crisis hit. Crist has been a subpar governor. Or maybe Jeb was just insanely better. I still believe if it was Jeb Johnson, he'd be the nominee now.

Also, it doesn't help that Crist did that GIGANTIC 180 on drilling off the coast. Not a good one.

Tamanon said:
I'm talking before even the housing crisis hit. Crist has been a subpar governor. Or maybe Jeb was just insanely better. I still believe if it was Jeb Johnson, he'd be the nominee now.

If it was Jeb Johnson, he wouldn't have been Governor in the first place.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Tamanon said:

I liked Jeb on most things other then education. This plan was a stupid idea

wikipedia said:
Students' results from the FCAT are compiled to generate a grade for each public school under Governor Jeb Bush's A+ Plan. Under this plan, public schools receive a grade from A to F, depending on student performance and the degree to which the bottom 25% of the school has improved compared to its past performances. The higher a public school scores, the more funding it receives.

What has happened, is schools now focus entirely on the FCAT, and have put other important stuff on the backburner.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Suikoguy said:
I liked Jeb on most things other then education. This plan was a stupid idea

What has happened, is schools now focus entirely on the FCAT, and have put other important stuff on the backburner.

They did some stupid things with the public school funding system in Oregon over a decade ago, too. Over time, Portland Public Schools [the district I attended], which had over 46,000 students got a disproportionally lower budget than a much smaller [read, sub 3,000 students] district in Eastern Oregon.

It was so much fun having to worry about for 4-5 years straight throughout high school, whether or not the school will have to shut down for the last 30-40 days of school year due to lack of funds. I believe the teachers even at one point agree to work for free for a period of time.

We kept being bailed out each year by last-minute tax votes, which increased taxes for local businesses inside the district/county to bail the schools out.

It's no wonder that enrollment is steadily declining each year and parents are opting out for private schools.

I remember Damon Stoudamire donating $250,000 of his own money just to keep the Spring Athletics program open. They wanted to cut everything but Baseball, I believe.

I still think education is a largely ignored issue in politics. Not just presidential, but everything.

....maybe this will light a fire under the media's ass and they'll start to really scrutinize McCain. Dude has had a free ride since the end of last summer.

Tamanon

Banned
How dare you sir. How dare you insinuate that a man who won the week according to Halperin, in a week where he called Social Security a disgrace for working as created, whose chief economic advisor said America is a country of whiners and a mental recession.....

And that's not even delving into his other main surrogate saying he supports a woman's right to choose in healthcare plans on birth control, when he doesn't and then doesn't even know that he doesn't.....nor into possible pandering with the Steelers lines.

Obviously that's the week of a man who easily thumped the opposition!

Oh also, Mark Sanford today when asked by Wolf Blitzer to name one economic position that McCain and Bush differ on, drew a complete blank and couldn't name a single one.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Incognito said:
....maybe this will light a fire under the media's ass and they'll start to really scrutinize McCain. Dude has had a free ride since the end of last summer.

It's nice to want things.

Tamanon said:
How dare you sir. How dare you insinuate that a man who won the week according to Halperin, in a week where he called Social Security a disgrace for working as created, whose chief economic advisor said America is a country of whiners and a mental recession.....

And that's not even delving into his other main surrogate saying he supports a woman's right to choose in healthcare plans on birth control, when he doesn't and then doesn't even know that he doesn't.....nor into possible pandering with the Steelers lines.

Obviously that's the week of a man who easily thumped the opposition!

You're giving the media too much credit. I don't think they really care who wins, just whatever news will get better ratings. And let's see... McCain flipping on some inane policy, or Jesse Jackson saying he wants to rip Barack's nuts off! Hmmm... McCain maybe not having a great record with vets, or Bernie Mac making off colored jokes at an Obama dinner!

I mean really. Although I guess you could go a step further and say its the public's fault for being so uneducated in the political forum and demanding this kind of news from the MSM.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, but I dunno, I think the problem is that even if the public wanted to be more educated you wouldn't see the media switch for a while, it takes forever to change their trends.

Also, Huckabee apparently said he wasn't being vetted and wasn't interested in the Veep slot. I think he's still holding out for the 2012 nomination when the RNC gets revamped.

Hagel to Endorse Obama

I'm over in Hong Kong with a crazy schedule and round of meetings -- but rumors, good ones, still reach me.

The latest -- which I wholeheartedly endorse -- is that Senator Chuck Hagel is on the verge of endorsing Barack Obama for President.

This guy has a damn good track record so I'd be on the lookout for the official news...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tamanon said:
Even state polls don't matter until after both conventions though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom