• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
mckmas8808 said:
I can't wait to see the McCain in a diaper pissing and shitting on himself while holding the red phone with his drugged up blonde wife pictured with 38 triple D tits with pills falling out of her month and a crack pipe laying on the floor, with a thought bubble over her head that says "2+2=7"

Along with that lady that the New York Times mentioned under the desk looking as if shes giving John McCain some head.

When can I get that cartoon drawing?
In a universe where those were actual fearmongering attacks on McCain. :p

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
scorcho said:

so the media is biased when it doesn't paint your preferred candidate as the salt of the earth?
Give it a rest with the salt of the earth bs. I've seen many negative Barack cartoons that I have no problem with. The problem comes when the depiction is borderline or overtly racist.

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, unless media is produced by robots, there will be bias, it's only when any bias outweighs objectivity that it becomes a problem.

Interesting article on the style of AP politics reporting changing

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11716.html

Basically, the new Bureau Chief wants to present a more emotive reporting of politics, more personal takes on political stories. I dunno about this, because the AP was one of the last organizations to really focus mainly on facts and leave interpretation up to everyone else. We'll see.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The more I think about it, the more apt that Life of Brian comparison becomes. The cartoon is NOT about Obama, it's about what Jon Stewart dubbed Baracknophobia. :p

I wonder what Obama thinks of FFXIII coming to 360

"Parents need to teach their kids to put down the video games, and...FFXIII is coming to 360?"

"OH SHIII---"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hitokage said:
Newspapers, News Magazines, Wire Services, Local Broadcast News, National Broadcast News, Cable News (including the Fox News subset cut out in a larger venn diagram of right-wing media)...

All have their own issues. Treating them all like one monolithic entity only reveals your own narrative.

They all are focusing on Obama right now. Really this presidential raceis ALL about Obama.

If McCain wins it would be because Obama lost, not due to McCain winning.

My proof is when you notice that no one is talking about McCain's flip flops.

Hitokage said:
The more I think about it, the more apt that Life of Brian comparison becomes. The cartoon is NOT about Obama, it's about what Jon Stewart dubbed Baracknophobia. :p
Either way, it's bad news for Obama. This is exactly the kind of image he and his wife have been fighting for 15 months and this only puts it right back in our faces. Remember, most voters are stupid fucking idiots that are easily influenced by stupid shit like this.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Lamonster said:
Either way, it's bad news for Obama. This is exactly the kind of image he and his wife have been fighting for 15 months and this only puts it right back in our faces. Remember, most voters are stupid fucking idiots that are easily influenced by stupid shit like this.
That sounds like "I'm ready for a black president, but I'm pretty sure America isn't." Although, you may have a point if this thread is any indication. :p

Tamanon

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
McCain took the lead in a new poll?

Considering I can't see anything on the news channels or on Drudge in gigantic sirens I don't think so.

And to the whole "election being about Obama" bit, of course it is. McCain has been sent out to die by the RNC. The writing was on the wall, so the most centrist one that was running wins the nomination and then BAM becomes the emblem of Bush.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Tamanon said:
Considering I can't see anything on the news channels or on Drudge in gigantic sirens I don't think so.

And to the whole "election being about Obama" bit, of course it is. McCain has been sent out to die by the RNC. The writing was on the wall, so the most centrist one that was running wins the nomination and then BAM becomes the emblem of Bush.

Obama has actually gained in the electoral map today. He tied McCain in Missouri after being down in that state:

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Pres/Graphs/missouri.html

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Hitokage said:
That sounds like "I'm ready for a black president, but I'm pretty sure America isn't."

To me, it sounds like "The New Yorker should think 'does this help or hurt Obama?' before they print anything."

Get a grip, people.

masud

Banned
Liara I was wrong. There is a way this story can hurt Obama, and that's if Obama's campaign and his supporters overreact like they seem to be starting to. It's one thing to bitch about media bias against Obama but when you start bashing far left media outlets for mocking that same behavior, you're just going too far.

BTW does anyone know what article the cover is for? There are several Obama articles on the New Yorker site.

reilo

Did Bush just blame the democratic lead congress on rising gas prices?

Is he fucking serious?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Hitokage: So what? Apparently it's irresponsible to publish anything that could possibly be misconstrued. Unless you're pro-McCain, we expect four months of message control and hyper-literalism until the elections!

masud: NYer covers aren't tied to a lead story, or really any story. They do relevant covers for their theme issues, but generally it's a stand alone deal.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm pretty sure it was tied to an article about smears and fearmongering/Baracknophobia in the issue. Obama's camp responded once and hasn't brought it up again, one of those "get it on the record that you don't like it and move on to more important stuff"

reilo

More troop deaths in Afghanistan recently than in Iraq?

Wow. Obama, run with this.

But the surge?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mandark said:
Hitokage: So what? Apparently it's irresponsible to publish anything that could possibly be misconstrued. Unless you're pro-McCain, we expect four months of message control and hyper-literalism until the elections!

masud: NYer covers aren't tied to a lead story, or really any story. They do relevant covers for their theme issues, but generally it's a stand alone deal.

Again I wait for the satire McCain picture from a mainstream organization. Should bored F'ed, yet quite funny in its own right.

Tamanon

Banned
Bush is apparently going to veto the Medicare bill, the one that passed by a veto-proof margin. Because that's what we need more of. Bitch about Congress not doing anything about gas prices(somehow) and then send a bill back to just come back again with the veto broken.

reilo

Tamanon said:
Bush is apparently going to veto the Medicare bill, the one that passed by a veto-proof margin. Because that's what we need more of. Bitch about Congress not doing anything about gas prices(somehow) and then send a bill back to just come back again with the veto broken.

If it's veto proof... then why veto it?

The hell?

Tamanon

Banned
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/07/mccain_campaign_obama_dems_wan.php

The McCain campaign, which has said it doesn't question Obama's patriotism, is now doing something awfully similar: Claiming that Barack Obama and the Democrats are dedicated to losing the war for their own political benefit.

The new accusation was unveiled on a McCain campaign conference call moments ago, with top McCain surrogates making this charge in tandem.

Sen. Lindsey Graham said that a "turning point" was when Harry Reid declared the war "lost" over a year ago, and brought up an old quote from Chuck Schumer predicting that discontent with the war would lead to further Democratic gains. "The Democratic Party built a political strategy around us losing the war in Iraq," Graham said.

McCain adviser Randy Scheunemann joined in: "Senator Obama seems to think losing a war will help him win an election."

Scheunemann then hammered Obama for voting against a war-funding bill last year that contained money for not only Iraq but also Afghanistan. "This is Senator Obama's judgment on display," Scheunemann said. "Defund our forces in Afghanistan and Iraq, in an effort to placate the left wing of the Democratic Party."

It's getting ugly out there.

Mandark said:
To me, it sounds like "The New Yorker should think 'does this help or hurt Obama?' before they print anything."

Get a grip, people.
Dude I didn't say the NY'r shouldn't have printed it. I'm just saying it definitely hurts Obama, and that sucks because I think he'd be the best next president.

Do I think they're dummies? Yes.
Do I wish they didn't print it? Yes.
Do I think they are out of line? No.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Tamanon said:
It's the New Yorker, slightly different:p

The NYT printed Obama's great Op-Ed on Iraq/Afghanistan.
how DARE the NYT print Obama's Op-Ed! i demand they print McCain's Op-Ed on Iraq/Afghanistan/Brown-People tomorrow!

Tamanon

Banned
scorcho said:
how DARE the NYT print Obama's Op-Ed! i demand they print McCain's Op-Ed on Iraq/Afghanistan/Brown-People tomorrow!

They would, but NYT has switched to only accepting editorials in e-mail form.

OT: I recently picked up

51-c8oR1sKL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Been hopping around the book and it's fascinating, especially the part on the Internet. Didn't realize how massive a role the government actually plays in it, or has in the past. Makes me wonder how easy it would be if some of these terrorist groups actually turned their attention to something besides the simple blowing stuff up and focused more on the infrastructure.

reilo

I thought McCain still sent out his press releases by telegraph?

Tamanon

Banned
Only thing I can think is that he hopes some of the folks that jumped on to support it will decide to flip back now that he's decided things?

Or he just wants to be a real dick.

reilo

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Hope that Ted Kennedy can't get another day away from recovering from brain cancer to vote for it again?

They had 70 votes for the bill, no? All they needed was 67, I think for a veto proof majority. They had more than enough.

Macam

Banned
Tamanon said:
They would, but NYT has switched to only accepting editorials in e-mail form.

OT: I recently picked up

51-c8oR1sKL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Been hopping around the book and it's fascinating, especially the part on the Internet. Didn't realize how massive a role the government actually plays in it, or has in the past. Makes me wonder how easy it would be if some of these terrorist groups actually turned their attention to something besides the simple blowing stuff up and focused more on the infrastructure.

51M6VG0G1KL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

In case you want to read on the actual development of the Internet, here you go. It's short but it gives you all the inner details about it.

Door2Dawn said:
Maybe you should tune out of this race for a while.

Liara T'Soni too. <3

Heaven forbid people don't have unrealistic illusions about this election after what happened in 2004.

People made an effort to attract republicans here, as the topics were seen as too pro-Obama, but as an Obama supporter, I can't speak on the election in a manner that doesn't seem to have some sort of psychic ability to just KNOW that he's going to win in November, regardless of the increasingly negative media narrative around him, and the various number of issues that have snowballed?

masud said:
Liara I was wrong. There is a way this story can hurt Obama, and that's if Obama's campaign and his supporters overreact like they seem to be starting to. It's one thing to bitch about media bias against Obama but when you start bashing far left media outlets for mocking that same behavior, you're just going too far.

BTW does anyone know what article the cover is for? There are several Obama articles on the New Yorker site.

So now that you realize that the story is hurting him like I said it would, you go from "You're wrong, this can't hurt him" to, "you're the reason this is hurting him"...whatever, Cafferty is covering the story right now, and I feel absolved of any critiques regarding my stance on it.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh Phoenix, how dare you. How. Dare. You.

You show me another satirist that is willing to do an in-depth interview with Cookie Monster discussing his betrayal of American values.

Besides it doesn't matter about the cover being satire. No matter what happened it's being treated as a "firestorm" in the media. Even as they show Obama's response of just a shrug and a "no comment".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom