• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hootie

ConfusingJazz said:
Have any questions for Howard Dean?

Let me know, I am attending a meeting with him involved, and I am trying to think of good questions to ask the leader of the DNC. If you want anything asked, let me know!

Man...please tell him to say "BYAHHHHHH" again. Please. :lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
FitzOfRage said:
I'm glad Chuck Todd tried to put it in perspective though by noting that even with a massive electoral college you would likely only get a popular vote margin in the high single digits.

Yeah he stated that 2004 has shown that a 4 point lead gives either Obama or McCain and win. And that 6 points is a comfortable lead.

I'm glad someone on TV said this. Too bad he was on in the beginning and Chris Matthews didn't give a shit about that stat. :(

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Guys, I need help in the Freddie Mac thread.. Im arguing with a bunch of libertarians (anarchists?) who are saying the government should let Fannie May and Freddie Mac go bellie up, consequences be damned.

StoOgE said:
Guys, I need help in the Freddie Mac thread.. Im arguing with a bunch of libertarians (anarchists?) who are saying the government should let Fannie May and Freddie Mac go bellie up, consequences be damned.
I saw that. I thought you were doing pretty good on your own. (I know nothing of the subject myself.)

If all else fails, post pictures.

1928-great-depression.jpg

StoOgE said:

Ask them about the lovely time of volatile banks and economic system at the end of the 19th century, beginning of the 20th that they love so much. Can you imagine if the shit happening right now to banks was happening in the 1890s?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Well, oof, I had my encounter with one of those people tonight.

No, not black people.

The ones on the other side of the political spectrum that don't like Bush, but believe Obama will be assassinated, won't be elected, don't think he has any religious affiliation, think Michelle is a bad person, think he's a flip-flopper, brought up his middle name Hussein, and then demeaned me because I'm only 21 and "don't know what I'm talking about."

Yeah, thanks chap.

I tried my best, but you know what happens when you talk to a wall.

Macam

Banned
StoOgE said:

Well, there's the problem: don't argue with libertarians. It's the equivalent of arguing about the plausibility of the hyperspace technology of the Enterprise with Star Trek nerds. In other words, sheer fantasy.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ugh, yeah, libertarians believe that in a free market system, companies like Enron will be kept in check by their competitors.

Sleeker

StoOgE said:

Doesnt matter what you say about Fannie and Freddie, they're fucked.
Expect more of this 'coming apart at the seams' stuff in the following months.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, for those who were really worried about Obama's fundraising....he raisesd 52 million dollars in June, not 30 million as the WSJ said.:p

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Macam said:
Well, there's the problem: don't argue with libertarians. It's the equivalent of arguing about the plausibility of the hyperspace technology of the Enterprise with Star Trek nerds. In other words, sheer fantasy.
i have no idea what you're talking about here, but godspeed Macam, godspeed to you.

Good news. I hope he can sustain those numbers through November. With the RNC, other groups affiliated with the GOP, and the McCain camp working the loopholes, Obama has his work cut out for him. The RNC is absolutely spanking the DNC when it comes to fundraising as well.

syllogism

maximum360 said:
Good news. I hope he can sustain those numbers through November. With the RNC, other groups affiliated with the GOP, and the McCain camp working the loopholes, Obama has his work cut out for him. The RNC is absolutely spanking the DNC when it comes to fundraising as well.
RNC has been spanking the DNC, but in June DNC almost matched RNC. Should do even better in July thanks to those $28500 a head fundraisers.

e:
Shortly after sending out that mass email,* however, Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton emailed reporters to note an error: "The Obama campaign has $72 milllion cash on hand on its own, not combined. The DNC totals will be out shortly. "

Per ABC News' Political Director David Chalian, the DNC raised $22,481,194 in June and has $20,306,056 cash on hand. Meaning the Obama campaign and DNC have a combined total of nearly $92 million in the bank, not $72 million as previously claimed.

scorcho

of all the headlines Drudge could focus on he chooses the Michelle Obama blurb? it's not exactly shocking or vital to know that she is staying home for her husband's first trip to the ME.

Tamanon

Banned
scorcho said:
of all the headlines Drudge could focus on he chooses the Michelle Obama blurb? it's not exactly shocking or vital to know that she is staying home for her husband's first trip to the ME.

Especially considering it's a Senate delegation trip, wives never go on those because it's supposed to only be business.

syllogism said:
I'm pretty sure he is focusing on it because he got the story early
how is that even a story?? fuck, who thought she would go to the middle east...and who gives a shit?

man even drudge horribly fails sometimes

mckmas8808

Obama is opening 20 offices in Virginia in July. McCain will open his 5th by the endof the month.

So what does this tell you GAF?

The Lamonster said:
how is that even a story?? fuck, who thought she would go to the middle east...and who gives a shit?

man even drudge horribly fails sometimes

While Drudge seemed to be very anti-Hillary and pro-Obama during the primary season, people forgot that he is actually a conservative.

mckmas8808

Brian Williams(NBC) Katie Couric (CBS) and Charles Gibson (ABC) are all joining Obama on his overseas trip around the world.

They will be giving interviews with him on back to back days. Talk about media coverage! This trip could be huge!

mckmas8808 said:
Obama is opening 20 offices in Virginia in July. McCain will open his 5th by the endof the month.

So what does this tell you GAF?
same thing it tells me when Obama only visits IL when he's off

and McCain just spent two whole days campaigning in AZ

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
mckmas8808 said:
Brian Williams(NBC) Katie Couric (CBS) and Charles Gibson (ABC) are all joining Obama on his overseas trip around the world.

They will be giving interviews with him on back to back days. Talk about media coverage! This trip could be huge!

Good. This sounds fucking nice.

First Read says Obama raised $52 million in June, compared to McCain's $22 (which was his best month). If things continue like this Obama will reach the $250 million max, while McCain will have a total of $140 million (when you count the $84 million he'll get from public financing)
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/07/17/1203669.aspx

mckmas8808 said:

From Chuck Todd, Mark Murray, and Domenico Montanaro
*** The double-edged sword: With the news that the network anchors, including NBC’s Brian Williams, are planning to catch up with Obama on his overseas trip -- when they didn’t do the same for McCain when he traveled abroad -- the New York Times today raises this conversation starter: that the “news media are imbalanced in their coverage of the candidates.” There is no doubt that Obama, because of his historical candidacy as well as being the “new” candidate, is receiving more attention. But that presents both rewards and risks. Consider: Just how big of a gaffe would have McCain’s Sunni-Shiite mistake been had the network anchors all been there to cover it? The extra attention Obama receives also brings more scrutiny. And that's why his trip overseas presents both rewards and risks. And this is the lemons-vs.-lemonade debate the McCain campaign must be having. First, they need to figure out how to bracket this trip and keep pressure on Obama and the reporters covering him there. The time difference will present a challenge, as most of the news Obama makes will be during our broadcasts downtimes. Second, they may need to rethink how they are presenting McCain and the opportunities they are offering the media to cover him in unique and different settings. The irony to the extra coverage this trip is getting for Obama is that the RNC themselves helped hype this trip with their countdown clock on the number of days it's been since Obama last went to Iraq.

scorcho

PD: the fundraising difference between McCain and Obama is offset by the amount the parties took in.

also, i'm a bit ambivalent about all this attention fostered on Obama's trip. yeah, it's his first and deserves mention, but this has the potential to amplify every gaffe, every slight misstatement into something big.

Macam said:
It's called Warp Drive, not hyperspace.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
PhoenixDark said:
First Read says Obama raised $52 million in June, compared to McCain's $22 (which was his best month). If things continue like this Obama will reach the $250 million max, while McCain will have a total of $140 million (when you count the $84 million he'll get from public financing)
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/07/17/1203669.aspx

But the RNC is funneling alot more money to Mccain than the DNC is funneling to Obama so it will probably be even.. which is a big improvement from 2004.

Does this mean the RNC is funneling less money towards Senate and Congressional races?

You'd think they realize the presidency was a lost cause and at least try to protect some important seats.

Frank the Great said:
Does this mean the RNC is funneling less money towards Senate and Congressional races?

You'd think they realize the presidency was a lost cause and at least try to protect some important seats.

No, I suspect lots of negative campaign ads, and try to squeeze through that way. I doubt it'll work.

Its somewhat already too late for the RNC to get the seats they're going to lose anyway. CO, VA, NM, NH aren't going to shift back to red. Dems are getting +4 seats for sure and possibly +5.

To be honest with you, I don't know what people see in Smith in OR. Then Again, I don't think anyone is in love with Merkley either.

RNC is going to have make a choice: mitigate any huge losses in the House and Senate by throwing $$$ into contests or doubling down on the presidency. For Republicans, their money machine this year is really only the RNC since both the RSCC and RCCC have been MIA. Not to mention the fact that the RCCC is still trying to sort it self out over having millions of dollars stolen from a former employee.

mckmas8808

scorcho said:
PD: the fundraising difference between McCain and Obama is offset by the amount the parties took in.

That still doesn't make it even. Thr RNC can't give McCain 80% of the money that they raise. If they do where do the congress men and women and senators running for office get their money from?

And there's limitations to what McCain can do with the RNC money. And the DNC almost matched the RNC in fund raising in June.

So Obama still has the edge.

Incognito said:
RNC is going to have make a choice: mitigate any huge losses in the House and Senate by throwing $$$ into contests or doubling down on the presidency. For Republicans, their money machine this year is really only the RNC since both the RSCC and RCCC have been MIA. Not to mention the fact that the RCCC is still trying to sort it self out over having millions of dollars stolen from a former employee.

I think that the RNC ignore the congressional races as long as the Presidency is remotely competitive. This is assuming, of course, that leadership Republicans in the House and especially the Senate don't get deeper in trouble-if McConnell's or Dole's numbers continue to tank, the RNC will send them a lifeline.

But spending money to save 10-12 House seats? Unlikely. And the donors/DNC don't really mind seeing GOP Senate "moderates" like Gordon Smith, John Sununu, and Susan Collins lose if those races deteriorate.

scorcho

yep, the RNC can't do a darn thing with that money for McCain.

the RNC would be stupid to push so much money into House races considering general shift in the electorate this cycle.

mckmas8808

Incognito said:

And guys remember that the RNC already lost a few seats within the last couple months in some of the most republican seats in the country. And that was WITH them spending huge amounts of money.

So if they decide to not spend money on the house and senate seats this november they will get crushed. Especially in the more light red and purple states and regions.

mckmas8808

scorcho said:
yep, the RNC can't do a darn thing with that money for McCain.

the RNC would be stupid to push so much money into House races considering general shift in the electorate this cycle.

I said theres limits to what the RNC can do for McCain. Advertising wise McCain and the RNC is already outspending Obama 3 to 1 right now. And he is still 6 points down.

Incognito said:
Per Ambinder, Obama opening up 6 offices in Montana -- Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Great Falls, Helena and Missoula.

maneuver warfare at its finest. obama's campaign's strategy of spreading out the map in a large number of places isn't just important for gaining electoral votes, but also for creating enough chaos in the McCain's insular circle of trusted advisors that their overall capacity to conduct a planned poltiical campaign is hindered. This obviously has huge benefits on higher EV value and more competitve states as well.

I'm no Obama fan, but his staff is really ace and knows what they are doing.

So if they decide to not spend money on the house and senate seats this november they will get crushed. Especially in the more light red and purple states and regions.

Given the ever-increasing power of the presidency, it's almost better to lose some Senate and House seats and make a credible run at the Presidency rather than forego the Presidency and keep the seats for sure. This is especially true if there is no way that the majority party in either chamber will change (and that party will not change this cycle in either chamber).

mckmas8808

Fragamemnon said:
Given the ever-increasing power of the presidency, it's almost better to lose some Senate and House seats and make a credible run at the Presidency rather than forego the Presidency and keep the seats for sure. This is especially true if there is no way that the majority party in either chamber will change (and that party will not change this cycle in either chamber).

I understand that,but there just has to be a line drawn. Where will the RNC draw the line? 50%, 70%, 85% etc of their money going to McCain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom