• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

masud

Banned
scorcho said:
no, McCain instead declares 'VICTORY!' with troop pullouts a natural extension of a completed mission.

i also love the rebranding of timetable to horizon. hey press - they're the same thing!

edit: 'media' isn't good enough? MSM? are people hipper by throwing out worn-out acronyms as if its a pejorative?
I didn't start using it until I heard some reporters on tv talking about how they didn't like it. :lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
scorcho said:
wait, MSM somehow doesn't include newspapers? how arbitrary.

Tamanon: oh indeed, but the press corps reporting it at face value without perspective is vexing.

I personally think of newspapers when I say MSM because Im not buying them and I think they affect the population much less than the cable and nationa TV shows.

thefro

Didn't realize how crazy Obama's overseas trip is going to be... Afganistan, Iraq, Jordan, Palestine West Bank, Israel, Germany, France, and UK. Pretty much meeting with all the heads of state of those countries.

thefro said:
Didn't realize how crazy Obama's overseas trip is going to be... Afganistan, Iraq, Jordan, Palestine West Bank, Israel, Germany, France, and UK. Pretty much meeting with all the heads of state of those countries.
IMO, this will be major debate ammunition.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, great timing by the McCain camp to put the first truly and badly negative ad out right as his opponent can't respond since he's overseas.:p

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Tamanon said:
BTW, great timing by the McCain camp to put the first truly and badly negative ad out right as his opponent can't respond since he's overseas.:p

He'll respond.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1530

UTICA, New York - As the Presidential candidates ponder potential running mates, a new Zogby International telephone poll shows many voters would be more inclined to vote for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama if he were to select retired four-star general and former Secretary of State Colin Powell as his running-mate.

If Obama were to choose Powell, 42% of likely voters nationwide said it would make them more likely to support the Democratic candidate - as did 42% of Democrats and 43% of political independents. The Zogby International telephone poll of 1,039 likely voters nationwide was conducted July 9-13, 2008, and asked respondents how the selection of certain vice presidential candidates would affect their likelihood to vote for the two leading presidential candidates. It carries a margin of error of +/- 3.1 percentage points.

:lol That's an out of nowhere addition of Powell to the surveys. Interesting that he's pretty steady on more/less proportions amongst all 3 affiliations.

Rachael Maddow isn't bad, but she's too left of center to get her own show. She's basically Keith Olberman-Lite. MSNBC already leans left and giving Maddow her own show would basically make MSNBC the liberal version of Foxnews.

I think they really need a right of center host to balance their afternoon lineup. Right now it's Hardball (Center/Left), David Gregory (Center), Keith (Far Left), Dan Abrams (Center, Slight Left). Pretty much all of them except for Gregory (who makes a better reporter than talk show host) all lean left in some way. I know some people here are perfectly fine with this but I like to hear opinions and views from all sides. That's why I watched Tucker and Scars Country.

The short list seems to be Rachael Maddow and David Shuster for the new host spot. I hope it's Michael Skircomish (sp??). He's right of center but he's open minded and doesn't vilify the left. He also calls out both sides when they're clearly spouting out talking points. In fact, he should host a show called, "No Talking Points". Anybody who starts spouting talking points gets slime dumped on their heads.

Obama's sister stumps in Tampa, Florida

340x.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymFOn3hW9sU
--

Michelle Obama & Jeannie Ritter Co-Chair Del. Service Day

20080716__20080717_A06_ND17POLSHELF~p1.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWh7uZ1kqjs

John McCain, whose adviser Charlie Black got into some trouble for suggesting that a terror attack would help the Republican's prospects, said today at a town hall in Michigan that he thinks the U.S. election will prompt "spectacular" terror attempts inside Iraq

"Al Qaeda is on their heels they are not defeated," he told auto workers in Warren, Mich., speaking of Iraq. "I also predict that they will make an attempt as we get into the election season to make more of these spectacular kinds of attacks which they’re still capable of doing. The suicide bombers, et cetera. Would not surprise me and we’ve already found out that they’re going to try and step up their attacks and try and do things in a more spectacular fashion so that they can erode the support of the Maliki government."

UPDATE: A McCain aide, speaking on background, says McCain was referring to referring to provincial elections in Iraq, not the United States, expected at the end of this year or the beginning of 2009.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/
jesus fucking christ

reilo

How can someone that doesn't speak for McCain step down from a job in his campaign?

mckmas8808 said:
BINGO! Again McCain lies and nobody will notice.

How is that a lie? It's a strictly PR move - he had to be cut. I just don't think Obama has much solid ground to be attacking McCain on this. Of course McCain doesn't agree with Gramm's comments, which were taken out of context anyway.

reilo

PhoenixDark said:
How is that a lie? It's a strictly PR move - he had to be cut. I just don't think Obama has much solid ground to be attacking McCain on this. Of course McCain doesn't agree with Gramm's comments, which were taken out of context anyway.

Ugh. Have you been paying attention? McCain made similar comments back in May, except he was smart enough not to use the word "whiners." He echoed Bush's economic speech the other day by proclaiming it was more "psychological."

So, yes, Obama has every right to attack McCain on this, and as he should. McCain's economic policies are disastrous.

MSNBC has been talking all day about how Michelle Obama is fair game for the McCain campaign to smear.

If that is accepted, then Obama has every right to go after Gramm.

The Chosen One said:
Rachael Maddow isn't bad, but she's too left of center to get her own show. ....

yeah. i have nothing against her but i hope to god she doesn't get her own show. let's not turn msnbc into a propoganda distributor like Fox, please.

mckmas8808

PhoenixDark said:

It wasn't taken out of context. What do you think Gramm meant?

Tyrone Slothrop said:
yeah. i have nothing against her but i hope to god she doesn't get her own show. let's not turn msnbc into a propoganda distributor like Fox, please.

Joe Scars and Pat Buchanan are on MSNBC for the first 3 hours of the day always shitting on Obama. So no having her own show wouldn't be bad for the network.

And really 9 am - 7 pm really isn't pro Obama anyway.

Tyrone Slothrop said:

Do you even watch MSNBC?

Most of the stories they have about Obama are negative & have been since he announced he's running for president.

Macam

Banned
theviolenthero said:
Do you even watch MSNBC?

Most of the stories they have about Obama are negative & have been since he announced he's running for president.

Well, he doesn't really seem to know what "left" means either.

hm? i always found the msnbc coverage to be fairly neutral, with slight leanings to the left. in regard to obama, yeah they'll jump on any misstep he makes, but they're a cable news channel and that's what they get paid to do (now compare that to fox news' coverage. msnbc are obama cult worshipers in comparison)

i admit i don't get around to watching it in the morning, and it could offset the olbermann-ness of the later programing. but if they got maddow and olbermann within the same time frame - not to mention the same network - that's going waaaay left for a news network.

mckmas8808

Tyrone Slothrop said:
hm? i always found the msnbc coverage to be fairly neutral, with slight leanings to the left. in regard to obama, yeah they'll jump on any misstep he makes, but they're a cable news channel and that's what they get paid to do (now compare that to fox news' coverage. msnbc are obama cult worshipers in comparison)

i admit i don't get around to watching it in the morning, and it could offset the olbermann-ness of the later programing. but if they got maddow and olbermann within the same time frame - not to mention the same network - that's going waaaay left for a news network.

I think they should still do it. There's a market for it.

Tyrone Slothrop said:

Exactly.

Besides there's obviously a market for Fox News, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Blind ideology is annoying whether it's extreme right or extreme left. One of the major problems today with cable news is that people just want to watch shows that reaffirm their opinions and views, and vilifies the opposition. No one wants to have their viewpoints legitimately challenged or questioned. That's how you end up with Fox News.

Putting Maddow and Olberman in the same afternoon block would push MSNBC into a hive mind mentality similar to Fox news.

Yes, there's somewhat a conservative voice in the mornings for 3 hours, but Joe is fairly tame compared to most talk show conservatives. Also Mika is definitely left of center. Except when Scars and Buchanan power up together, the talk show rarely feels like a conservative program. A lot depends on what guests they have.

MSNBC could use a level-headed conservative in the afternoon to keep things balanced. Right now, the conservative voices on MSNBC are limited to floating window analysts. And most of them are one-dimensional strategist shills.

MSNBC is more entertaining than CNN, so I rather watch it instead. But I hope it doesn't succumb to the temptation of going too far left for the sake of ratings and sell its integrity the way Foxnews did.

mckmas8808

The Chosen One said:
Exactly.

Besides there's obviously a market for Fox News, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Blind ideology is annoying whether it's extreme right or extreme left. One of the major problems today with cable news is that people just want to watch shows that reaffirm their opinions and views, and vilifies the opposition. No one wants to have their viewpoints legitimately challenged or questioned. That's how you end up with Fox News.

Putting Maddow and Olberman in the same afternoon block would push MSNBC into a hive mind mentality similar to Fox news.

Yes, there's somewhat a conservative voice in the mornings for 3 hours, but Joe is fairly tame compared to most talk show conservatives. Also Mika is definitely left of center. Except when Scars and Buchanan power up together, the talk show rarely feels like a conservative program. A lot depends on what guests they have.

MSNBC could use a level-headed conservative in the afternoon to keep things balanced. Right now, the conservative voices on MSNBC are limited to floating window analysts. And most of them are one-dimensional strategist shills.

MSNBC is more entertaining than CNN, so I rather watch it instead. But I hope it doesn't succumb to the temptation of going too far left for the sake of ratings and sell its integrity the way Foxnews did.

It's bull how you just write off Rachel like that though.

delirium

Tamanon said:
Thanks McCain. Usually the timetable for overseas visits is kept under people's hats until they arrive there....

What? Everyone who watches the news knows that Obama is going to visit Iraq in the next couple of days. These anti-McCain articles aren't really enticing me to vote Obama.

mckmas8808 said:
What does that even mean?

EDIT: It meant what I said. The pro-Obama fanatics are trying to attack McCain with anything they can get their hands on. By doing so, I'm sure they're pushing away many independents by showing their blind fanaticism.

mckmas8808

delirium said:
What? Everyone who watches the news knows that Obama is going to visit Iraq in the next couple of days. These anti-McCain articles aren't really enticing me to vote Obama.

:lol

What does that even mean?

mckmas8808 said:
It's bull how you just write off Rachel like that though.

I'm not writing her off. I actually think she's better than Keith O. because she's actually willing to face off with people who disagree with her. But I didn't like her in the Countdown format because she came off as snarky and wasn't able to tussle with anyone. I thought she did a better job filling in for David Gregory.

Anyway my point was MSNBC leans too far left already in the afternoons. Adding her will push MSNBC into Fox News territory.

Clevinger

delirium said:
EDIT: It meant what I said. The pro-Obama fanatics are trying to attack McCain with anything they can get their hands on. By doing so, I'm sure they're pushing away many independents by showing their blind fanaticism.

I know it's unlikely, but perhaps there is a plethora of legitimate criticisms against McCain?

mckmas8808

The Chosen One said:
I'm not writing her off. I actually think she's better than Keith O. because she's actually willing to face off with people who disagree with her. But I didn't like her in the Countdown format because she came off as snarky and wasn't able to tussle with anyone. I thought she did a better job filling in for David Gregory.

Anyway my point was MSNBC leans too far left already in the afternoons. Adding her will push MSNBC into Fox News territory.

Again this is not true. MSNBC will run the worst of stories against Obama because it pulls ratings. Rev. J. Wright, Bittergate, Can't win poorer white people gate, etc.

Foxnews doesn't do that about McCain really at all.

GhaleonEB

I'm behind on poligaf since I was out for three days. Of note:

1) wow at Obama's June fundraising. That's more like it.

2) wow at McCain's attack ad. I thought he'd get nasty and start slinging the mud for real sooner or later, but ouch. What a fucking tool.

mckmas8808 said:
Again this is not true. MSNBC will run the worst of stories against Obama because it pulls ratings. Rev. J. Wright, Bittergate, Can't win poorer white people gate, etc.

Foxnews doesn't do that about McCain really at all.

That's because MSNBC isn't on the level of Foxnews. But my worry is that it will gradually slide down that route if they stack the afternoon/primetime block with liberal programming because the success of Keith O. Imagine 6 months from now a line of Hardball, Maddow, Olberman, and Dan Abrams. You'll barely see any negative Obama coverage with that lineup. I know that's what some of you want but that's partly how we got in this mess the past 8 years.

Anyway on a completely unrelated note, why is there ZERO media coverage or photo ops with McCain's adopted daughter? I didn't know he even had an adopted daughter until I saw that biography on CNN today. I have been following politics religiously for the past 6 years and I never seen or heard about her before. I knew about the false rumors of McCain fathering a black child from the 2000 campaign but I didn't know it was in relation to his adopted daughter from Bangladesh.

Dram

The Chosen One said:
I knew about the false rumors of McCain fathering a black child from the 2000 campaign but I didn't know it was in relation to his adopted daughter from Bangladesh.

I think that's why

syllogism

GOP Asks Net For Advice, Paulites Answer the Call ... and Answer, and Answer

Says Bob in Clemons, North Carolina: "We need to abolish the Federal Reserve and go back to the gold standard. Not just any gold though, I heard about this stuff, pure-strain gold that has been around since God created the universe. That's what we should base our currency around since it is so close to God."

e: afghans are ready for change

The Afghans expressed a readiness to see the end of the Bush presidency. Obama's racial heritage also has drawn attention here.

"He's welcome to our war-torn city," said Habibullah Hamdard, a 42-year-old teacher. "If he has loved his children, he should love the Afghan children who are dying around the country every day. The white guy couldn't do anything, let's see what the black guy can do."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/19/AR2008071900327_2.html?hpid=topnews

Farmboy

GhaleonEB said:
2) wow at McCain's attack ad. I thought he'd get nasty and start slinging the mud for real sooner or later, but ouch. What a fucking tool.

What surprises me is how amateurish it is. The pictures of Obama they used look way better than the cut-and-pasted-in-front-of-the-American-flag McCain, which veers into self-parody territory in combination with the music. I question its effectiveness, but then again, nobody ever went broke underestimating etc. etc.

delirium

Clevinger said:
I know it's unlikely, but perhaps there is a plethora of legitimate criticisms against McCain?

I didn't say there wasn't. I was talking about trying to stretch every minuscule thing into a scandal.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Chosen One said:
I'm sorry, but I believe you to be completely off base here.

Fox News never had integrity to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom