• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA meets with Israeli, Palestinian leaders, visits Holocaust Museum in Jerusalem

326873631.jpg

U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., is greeted by Israeli President Shimon Peres as he arrives for a meeting at the President's Residence in Jerusalem, Wednesday, July 23, 2008. Barack Obama, after vowing to immediately work for a breakthrough in Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations if elected U.S. president, plunged into the intricacies of the region's conflict Wednesday with a packed schedule of meetings with Israeli and Palestinian leaders.
(AP Photo/Ariel Schalit)

r3124023261.jpg

U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) meets Israel's President Shimon Peres (not pictured) in Jerusalem July 23, 2008. Obama pledged staunch support for Israel on a visit to Jerusalem on Wednesday, describing the Jewish state as a miracle. REUTERS/Baz Ratner (JERUSALEM)

326873621.jpg

Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama, 2nd left, stands with director of Yad Vashem Avner Shalev in the Hall of Names at the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum in Jerusalem in Jerusalem, Wednesday, July 23, 2008. Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama pledged Wednesday that as president he would preserve the close relationship between the United States and Israel, and that the Jewish state's security would be a top priority in his administration.
(AP Photo/Daniel Berehulak, Pool)

326873616.jpg

U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., rekindles the Eternal Flame in the Hall of Remembrance at the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem, Wednesday, July 23, 2008. Barack Obama, after vowing to immediately work for a breakthrough in Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations if elected U.S. president, plunged into the intricacies of the region's conflict Wednesday with a packed schedule of meetings with Israeli and Palestinian leaders. (AP Photo/Sebastian Scheiner)

326873638.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., gestures as he gives a statement after he toured the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial Museum in Jerusalem, Wednesday, July 23, 2008. Obama pledged Wednesday that as president he would preserve the close ties between the United States and Israel, and that the Jewish state's security would be a top priority in his administration.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong

326873642.jpg

US Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama, right, shakes hands with Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak, during their meeting at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem, Wednesday, July 23, 2008. Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama pledged Wednesday that as president he would preserve the close ties between the United States and Israel, and that the Jewish state's security would be a top priority in his administration.
(AP Photo/Eliana Aponte, Pool)

r3960749523.jpg

The motorcade of U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama drives past the controversial Israeli barrier after passing the Hizme checkpoint on the edge of Jerusalem July 23, 2008, as it makes its way to the West Bank city of Ramallah. Obama pledged staunch support for Israel on a visit to Jerusalem on Wednesday, describing the Jewish state as a miracle before meeting Palestinian leaders in the West Bank. REUTERS/Ammar Awad (WEST BANK)

326873624.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., left, shakes hands with Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erekat, upon his arrival in the West bank city of Ramallah, Wednesday, July 23, 2008. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas wants Barack Obama to take away one message from their meeting Wednesday if elected U.S. president, he should focus immediately on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict or any gains made in peace talks could vanish. (AP Photo/Tara Todras-Whitehill)

capt.cps.nbo59.230708140154.photo01.photo.default-512x350.jpg

Palestinian artist Walid Ayyub puts the final touches to a portrait of US Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama at his shop in the West Bank city of Ramallah on July 22. Obama lauded the "miracle" of Israel as he met top officials and somberly honoured Holocaust victims on the latest leg of his international campaign tour. (AFP/Abbas Momani)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Guys, I have to say, this tour is going exceedingly well. I mean, its almost as if this is his first official visit as president the way he is being treated.

Tamanon

Banned
Look, you don't bitch about press coverage, and them not covering you enough and then cancel your first press avail directly afterwards.

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
Look, you don't bitch about press coverage, and them not covering you enough and then cancel your first press avail directly afterwards.
Maybe he heard they didn't have the donuts with the sprinkles on top?

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, since folks were worrying about Rasmussen's poll numbers for Obama in Ohio, they have him up 1 in Florida. PPP has Obama up 2 in Virginia.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
siamesedreamer said:
My "bad" argument comes directly from the horse's mouth.

Carry on though...

In that instance wasn't he specfically talking about Iraq and something happening as we are leaving?

maynerd

Banned
I sure hope the press doesn't let McCain slide on all of the questions that he dodged by canceling the press Q&A today. They need to nail him for the crap he's said.

Interesting that the article doesn't mention how:

-Obama would only raise the capital gains tax on the rich investors

-Raise taxes on the rich yet keep the Bush tax cuts (?) for the poor and middle class

-Cut taxes for small businesses

Many economists see McCain better for stocks: poll

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. stock market would fare better in the first year after a victory by Republican presidential candidate John McCain than by his Democratic rival Barack Obama, according to a majority of economists at U.S. banks and research groups polled by Reuters.

But the survey of 29 firms taken alongside a regular Reuters economic poll also found that economists had mixed views on the two candidates' economic plans.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being "very good," 12 economists gave McCain's proposals higher marks, while nine rated the two candidates equally and eight preferred Obama's policies, according to the poll released on Wednesday.

The economy has supplanted the Iraq war as the main issue in the November presidential election between Arizona Sen. McCain and Illinois Sen. Obama.

The troubled housing market, tightening credit conditions and rising costs of food and energy have driven U.S. consumer confidence to a 28-year low.

The survey, conducted this week, found that 21 of the economists polled thought McCain would be better for the stock market in the first year after the election, while six chose Obama and two gave no response.

The sample includes a cross-section of U.S. financial institutions, large and small, including several prominent Wall Street names.

For investors, a key concern this election year is taxes on dividends and capital gains, which Obama has pledged to increase. He also favors allowing income tax cuts enacted under President George W. Bush's administration to expire, while McCain wants them made permanent.

"Preserving the capital gains and dividend tax rate (at) 15 percent is in my view very important to investors and therefore very important to Wall Street," said Hugh Johnson, chief investment officer of Johnson Illington Advisors in Albany, New York, explaining why he thought stocks would fare better under a McCain presidency.

McCain has said the Treasury Department and Federal Reserve's steps to shore up troubled mortgage finance companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were correct and he hoped Congress would approve them.

Obama said any action to rescue Fannie and Freddie should be aimed at helping homeowners and not just shareholders, managers and investors.

Obama has called for a $50 billion economic stimulus package on top of the $152 billion plan passed earlier this year. McCain has proposed low income taxes and incentives for small businesses as ways to boost the economy.

A Reuters/Zogby poll released last week showed that just 10 percent of Americans gave the Bush administration positive marks for its handling of the economy.

The poll also found that Obama held a 7-point lead over McCain in the presidential race, and had a small edge on the question of who would best manage the economy.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.observer.com/2008/media/david-gregory-nbc-s-lame-duck?page=0,0

On the morning of Sunday, July 20, NBC News paterfamilias Tom Brokaw was wrapping up Meet the Press, where he has been anchor since the sudden and untimely death of Tim Russert.

The weekly round table had ended, and it was time to say goodbye to his guests, NBC political director Chuck Todd and NBC White House correspondent David Gregory.

When the segment ended, both reporters sat with their hands neatly folded in front of them and awaited the frugally dispensed approval of Mr. Brokaw.

“Thank you very much, David Gregory, our NBC White House correspondent and, of course, star of MSNBC’s The Road to the White House,” said Mr. Brokaw.

Mr. Gregory managed not to grimace. His show is called Race for the White House.

“Chuck Todd, our political director,” continued Mr. Brokaw. “We’ll be seeing a lot more of you, here, on Meet the Press … in the weeks to come,” Mr. Brokaw said, it seemed, to Mr. Todd.

Mr. Gregory kept smiling as the credits rolled. But if deep inside his mind there was a momentarily flicker of career anxiety, the ambitious newsman could be forgiven. Since Russert’s death, speculation about the future anchor of Meet the Press has tended to favor the 36-year-old Mr. Todd and Mr. Gregory, 37. And it was Mr. Todd who got the public invitation to return.

LOL

Triumph

Banned
maynerd said:
I sure hope the press doesn't let McCain slide on all of the questions that he dodged by canceling the press Q&A today. They need to nail him for the crap he's said.
Fuck, CBS needs to be nailed for their disgraceful attempt to cover up Johnny Short Arms' absurd answer. I mean, that's just absurd.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Jason's Ultimatum said:

-Obama would only raise the capital gains tax on the rich investors

-Raise taxes on the rich yet keep the Bush tax cuts (?) for the poor and middle class

-Cut taxes for small businesses

Many economists see McCain better for stocks: poll
Well it's pretty much true. If Obama gets elected there will be a lot of people selling before he increases the capital gains tax.

Tamanon

Banned
Shockingly Fred Kagan, the architect of the surge, says McCain was correct that the Surge caused the Awakening. BIG NEWS!

And now.....he's saying the ONLY way to stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons is to attack them. Anything else won't work.:lol

Andrea Mitchell should just tag a "McCain" tag on her back and being done with it. Also, the current McCain surrogate on MMSNBC is laughable at best: Bush changes policy to mirror Obama = Obama is just like Bush who's a failure in many respects. The logic is astounding.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Raising the capital gains to 25% for the rich?
The stock market ain't a country club. Anyone can play.

Having said that, the little guys watch the big guys and when they sell, everyone sells.

Eric P

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/07/23/novak-hits-pedestrian-with-car/

Posted: 12:05 PM ET
Robert Novak is interviewed after the accident.
Robert Novak is interviewed after the accident.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Journalist Robert Novak hit a pedestrian with his car in the nation's capital Wednesday morning, Washington police Lt. Michael Lockerman said.

Novak continued driving, unaware he had hit the man, he told told reporters for WJLA-TV and the Web site Politico as he got out of a police car.

"I didn't know I hit anybody," he said near the scene of the incident at 17th and K streets in northwest Washington. "A bicycle rider stopped me and said I had hit someone."

Novak said he was cited for failure to yield right of way.

"I feel terrible," said the journalist, a long-time Washington insider who works as a syndicated columnist.

"It was a slight clipping. The pedestrian hurt his shoulder. It was a slight injury, nothing serious," the police spokesman said.

The pedestrian was taken to George Washington University Hospital, and was expected to be treated and released later Wednesday, a fire department spokesman told CNN.

Filed under: Robert Novak

Tamanon

Banned
From First Read:

From NBC's Mark Murray
Here's one result from the new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll that will be released tonight at 6:30 pm ET on Nightly News and MSNBC.com... With the news that Iraq's prime minister wants the US to set a timetable for withdrawal, 60% of registered voters believe it's a good idea for the US to set such a timetable, while 30% say it's a bad idea.

That's probably a good sign, one would assume.:lol

syllogism

Peres seems like a fan

Peres said his greatest wish was for the next American president "to be a great president of the United States….Senator I read your two books and your articles and I do believe if you ask me what is my overall impression I would say a moving humanity. I was moved as a human man, a human being, and what we need is moving humanity in our time to overcome the problems to raise hope. The future (is) before you. The world and so are we (are) with you. God bless you."

Macam

Banned
Tamanon said:
BTW, McCain tomorrow after Obama's Germany speech is going to try to give a speech on an oil rig in the gulf.

McCain's campaign is all over the map with regards to this energy policy and economics. Every other week he seems to alternate between giving lip service to climate change and then going back to the economic impact of oil and coming up with ways to effectively perpetuate the demand and supply.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh, and showing his great grasp of how the market works, McCain claims that the big oil drop last week was solely due to Bush revoking a meaningless executive ban on offshore drilling expansion:p

Jason's Ultimatum said:

- Obama supports the Employee Free Choice Act

Also, McCain's campaign has absolutely gone off the deep end. So much so that I'm even tempted to join in on y'alls mockery. Its gonna be a looooooong 14 weeks until the election. The sooner November 5th comes the better.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Tamanon said:
Yeah he did.:lol

BTW, McCain tomorrow after Obama's Germany speech is going to try to give a speech on an oil rig in the gulf.

The one a hurricane just passed over? I would lol if it was about energy policy and drilling just after a hurricane makes landfall. This would go over worse than his Katrina birthday party.

The man can't execute a positive image building strategy to save his life.

Whats the over under on "Dr. No"s tomorrow? :lol

EDIT: If I knew nothing of either candidates policy positions I would vote for Obama purely based on the effectiveness and efficiency of his campaign versus McCain's blunder-fest.

A good manager is a good manager, and that is really what the president is.

StoOgE

stressboy said:
Isn't it Pervez Musharraf?

well, his name isnt spelled in the same alphabet technically, so I guess its whatever sounds right phonetically. I'm not really sure.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Tamanon said:
Oh, and showing his great grasp of how the market works, McCain claims that the big oil drop last week was solely due to Bush revoking a meaningless executive ban on offshore drilling expansion:p

Is he really thinking that the media is sooo stupid that they will repeat this bullshit? The fall in prices had nothing to do with Bush.

And isn't Perez Musharif the president of Pakistan?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Tamanon said:
Yeah he did.:lol

i thought this was a witty joke until i saw the politico article on it.

at this point words fail me.

siamesedreamer said:
Then what caused the fall in prices?
speculative investment by traders looking to make a quick buck (hi housing bubble!).

StoOgE

siamesedreamer said:
Then what caused the fall in prices?

the fed approving a bailout of Freddie and Fannie that led to a resurgance in the financial sector as an investment option last week that moved some money out of the energy sectors as well as a general feeling amongst investors that the current oil prices are not sustainable?

Or maybe it was bush removing a meaningless mandate that did nothing because there is still a congressional mandate that is unlikely to be lifted? Because the efficient market evidently can be easily tricked by dubya. He's so sneaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom