• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamanon said:
So my brother called me earlier today. Never done anything political, always been an anarchist or just didn't care about what was going on. Earlier this year I tried to get him interested in the race, in doing something to make a difference, or even just to vote. Turns out something happened a week or so ago and he's come around finally, he's starting work volunteering at the local Obama office when it opens this weekend. I was literally floored. Also a bit stunned at the fact that Obama is still going to have an office here in Catawba county in podunk-ville NC for the General.:D

I as resident of another podunk North Carolina town, I'm not very shocked to see Barack campaign offices in smaller cities. North Carolina is a very win-able state for Obama, VERY win-able.

Props to you and your brother by the way.

Evlar

Banned
I'm trying to decide if I want to be active in volunteering for the Obama campaign or not. I'm in Florida and there's a campaign office here in town so there's definitely work to be done.

Juice

So the L.A. Times rumor from earlier this year that they knew of a candidate infidelity ("AND IT AIN'T JOHN EDWARDS") was about John Edwards?

I mean, the fact they qualified it that early makes me think his infidelity was out in the open enough already.

Tamanon said:
http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/07/mccain_meltdown.html

He repeated it again in Couric's bizarre rebuttal to an Obama interview today. I really don't think it's a good idea for him to keep this up. You don't flat out accuse someone running for President of treason.

That is so easy to rebuke that I'm amazed that he would say it out loud (But then again, when has that ever stopped McCain?)

I look forward to a true debate (If he's ever brave enough to have one). The American people would rather lose an unwinnable war than commit indefinitely to a war that was entered under false pretenses and violated the rights of a sovereign nation. The American people would rather lose an unwinnable war than waste the lives of a few thousand more soldiers and hundreds of billions of dollars. This man is completely out of touch with what the American people want.

Diablos

grandjedi6 said:
People don't vote for VP.
Normally, they don't.

This election, however, and with the way campaign coverage has fundamentally changed since last decade, Romney could campaign hard for McCain in Michigan and the networks could cover it, tie it into everything McCain, and it could really help him there. Like I said, the margin of victory for the Dems there has been just enough since 2000. Nothing really impressive. It would not take much to upset this, and Romney could possibly pull it off.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Diablos said:
Normally, they don't.

This election, however, and with the way campaign coverage has fundamentally changed since last decade, Romney could campaign hard for McCain in Michigan and the networks could cover it, tie it into everything McCain, and it could really help him there. Like I said, the margin of victory for the Dems there has been just enough since 2000. Nothing really impressive. It would not take much to upset this, and Romney could possibly pull it off.
I still see no evidence that people are suddenly going to start voting based on the VP

Diablos

grandjedi6 said:
I still see no evidence that people are suddenly going to start voting based on the VP
Easy, killer! No one's talking about evidence. I'm just simply saying that Romney could give McCain a potential boost in a state that is typically only +3-5% Democratic in a Presidential election.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
What was the "BREAKING NEWS" segment just now on Olbermann? I missed it.

Tamanon

Banned
reilo said:

McCain said in an interview that Obama was wrong and the surge was the reason for the Sunni Awakening. CBSNews cut that answer and ran an old answer from a different question instead.

Of course the surge had nothing to do with the Sunni Awakening which started beforehand and separately:p

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
McCain said in an interview that Obama was wrong and the surge was the reason for the Sunni Awakening. CBSNews cut that answer and ran an old answer from a different question instead.

Of course the surge had nothing to do with the Sunni Awakening which started beforehand and separately:p
Wait, what? They actually edited his answers to cover up a terrible response?

reilo

GhaleonEB said:
Wait, what? They actually edited his answers to cover up a terrible response?

That's just the reporters loving Obama so much and wanting him to be president.

Did Olbermann get more grey in his hair?

Tamanon said:

The media is McCain's base.

reilo said:

Obama had said something true but involved more than 3 words about Iraq. McCain disregard truth completely, per usual, and says surge worked. Bill Oraly also doing a segment on 'surge worked' 'surge worked' 'surge worked' with Halperin and Kelly-Anne-A-Cup-no-longer Conway on Obama telling Moran of ABC that he still wouldn't support the surge after the fact.

maynerd

Banned
the breaking news says "McCain makes false assertion of surge & sunni awakening timeline"

I believe that this is what the fuss is all about.

Couric: Senator McCain, Sen. Obama says, while the increased number of U.S. troops contributed to increased security in Iraq, he also credits the Sunni awakening and the Shiite government going after militias. And says that there might have been improved security even without the surge. What's your response to that?

McCain: I don't know how you respond to something that is such a false depiction of what actually happened. Colonel McFarlane (phonetic) was contacted by one of the major Sunni sheiks. Because of the surge we were able to go out and protect that sheik and others. And it began the Anbar awakening. I mean, that's just a matter of history. Thanks to General Petraeus, our leadership, and the sacrifice of brave young Americans. I mean, to deny that their sacrifice didn't make possible the success of the surge in Iraq, I think, does a great disservice to young men and women who are serving and have sacrificed.

They were out there. They were protecting these sheiks. We had the Anbar awakening. We now have a government that's effective. We have a legal system that's working, although poorly. And we have progress on all fronts, including an incredible measure of security for the people of Iraq. There will still be attacks. Al Qaeda's not defeated. But the progress has been immense. And to not recognize that, and why it happened, and how it happened, I think is really quite a commentary.

reilo

Sestak for VP.

:lol at Hannity saying Obama only went to Iraq for a photo-op. And this guy support McCain?

Tamanon

Banned
I'm beginning to think that Olbermann doesn't like Bush or McCain for some reason.

jon: No, McCain said that Obama was lying about the Sunni Awakening happening along with the surge, instead saying that the surge CAUSED it to happen.

Couldn't find the Iraq shot in good quality.

9ro9hs.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
:lol at Dan Abrams playing the whole McCain Gaffe film.

Wes Clark : "John McCain might get more coverage if he runs a better campaign!"

Good show!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Is there any articles that details the recent events that have led to the McCain campaign being labeled as meltdown and floundering?

ViperVisor said:
Obama had said something true but involved more than 3 words about Iraq. McCain disregard truth completely, per usual, and says surge worked. Bill Oraly also doing a segment on 'surge worked' 'surge worked' 'surge worked' with Halperin and Kelly-Anne-A-Cup-no-longer Conway on Obama telling Moran of ABC that he still wouldn't support the surge after the fact.

Halperin is the biggest McCain shill in a reporter's costume.

And Andrea Mitchell on a roll. How many times a day can you bash Obama on one network? Apparently for Andrea, countless.

McCain being called out for his latest gaffe on AC360. This might pick up steam by tomorrow. I guess the McCain camp didn't realize they may not appreciate the press they've been yearning so much for. Also, McCain's latest nasty attack on Obama is also being picked up. "My Friends" may be close to blowing his top.

Tamanon

Banned
The funny thing is that if it had just been the gaffe, it probably wouldn't get much coverage at all, but because it also involves a rival network covering up for it and aiding the candidate, the other networks have a reason to hammer it a bit more:p

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
ViperVisor said:
Couldn't find the Iraq shot in good quality.

9ro9hs.jpg
Thanks, I am sure we will get a better iraq 3 pointer eventually
:lol

ViperVisor said:
Well hey look at that =P

Thanks again

EDIT: OMG he shoots one righty and the other lefty!
great nominee or greatest?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
as to McCain's latest foreign policy gaffe cover up, i explain it by CBS having affirmative action for old retards. he's old, they help him out, the country survives.

or something like that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Pres/Maps/Jul22.html#news

We have one Senate poll, in Alaska, and it is a dilly. Anchorage mayor Mark Begich (D) is leading long-time incumbent Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK) by 9 points. The race has been fairly close up until now but DSCC chairman Chuck Schumer is keeping an especially close eye on this one. He recruited Begich, a young, relatively inexperienced politician and is going to be pouring money into this race. Stevens is 84 in a year in which youth vs. experience is going to be the national theme. However, unlike McCain, who is a national hero, Stevens is under investigation by the FBI and IRS for possible corruption. If this poll is right, Obama may get help from Begich's coattails rather than the other way around.
:lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom