• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite Hillary's speech, the divisive message from Hillary surrogates continues

Feinstein: Clinton won popular vote
By RYAN GRIM | 6/8/08 10:02 AM EST

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), a backer of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) during the primary campaign, reiterated on ABC’s “This Week” that Clinton had won the popular vote — an assertion that is not accepted by Illinois Democrat Sen. Barack Obama’s camp and one that, if repeated often, could harm Democratic attempts to unify behind him. “Hillary Clinton is well known, certainly she had the popular vote in this election,” she said according to a transcript. “That is something and that is something tremendous. Now, I believe the nomination is up to him. I can't tell him what to do. Nobody else can tell him what to do. All I can say is I agree with Ed Rendell, that if you really want a winning ticket, this is it.”

<...>

Feinstein said that while she waited, she and Clinton “sat in the living room and we talked a little bit, and she expressed to me the depth of her concern and caring, the fact that she had 18 million people who put their hopes and dreams in her ability to create new opportunities for people. She wants to continue that. She recognizes that it's over, and I think every instinct in Hillary Clinton is to help.”

Feinstein said the meeting went well. “She wanted to have that meeting. She didn't want to have to go out and make a press statement. She didn't want to be followed to the meeting. She wanted one opportunity to sit down with Sen.Obama, just the two of them, and I think establish a sense of rapport between them,” she said. “They were both very relaxed at the end of the meeting and when they said good night. ... I felt good about it and I think they did, too.”

Feinstein went on to make the case for Clinton as Obama’s running mate. “I think she has a movement. Trust me, from the e-mails I've been getting and people in California have been sending me, trust me, there is a movement. And it's formed from a number of different perspectives. I would have to say the head of the movement are women. Women were really invested in this candidacy, and they believe she got treated poorly, and I don't want to go into that now. I think to a great extent by the press, yes, I think she did. I read column after column which was personal and malevolent and to some extents even venal, and I don't understand why that was necessary. Maybe one column, but column after column after column, and I think that played a role in developing this strength among women that saw this kind of thing form a candidacy,” she said.
(emphasis added)

CLEVELAND (AP) — One of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s biggest boosters is now heeding the candidate’s call to support presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama.

U.S. Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones said Saturday that she would join Clinton in supporting Obama. She says Obama cannot win unless Clinton’s supporters rally behind him.

Tubbs Jones had been an early and fervent follower of Clinton, who suspended her campaign on Saturday.

She says disappointed Clinton supporters will eventually come around and vote for Obama, who should consider Clinton as a runningmate. She also says Clinton ran a strong campaign and now deserves a breather.
(emphasis added)

Note: Obama won, it's his show.

HILLARY AS VEEP?....Big Tent Democrat is happy that Democrats are finally united behind a candidate, but warns of stormy weather ahead:

I'd like to interrupt this Unity Day message with a small reminder to the Barack Obama campaign and the Democratic Party — unless he picks Hillary Clinton as his running mate — the day he announces his Vice Presidential candidate will be a day of disunity.

....Obama is in a tight race with John McCain and needs a unified Democratic Party and if he is set on NOT picking Hillary Clinton as his VP, I hope he has a plan for re-unifying the Party the day after he insists on NOT unifying, indeed, in dividing the Party by not choosing Hillary Clinton as his VP.

BTD has been banging this particular drum for a long time, and I happen to think he's wrong about it. The party will unite just fine around any reasonable VP choice as long as Hillary supports the ticket and rallies her fans to the Obama campaign — and I think she will.

But I have a different question: what makes anyone think that Hillary wants to be Obama's VP? I just don't see it. On a social level, it's hard to picture someone of Hillary's age, experience, and temperament being willing to play second fiddle to a young guy like Obama. On a political level, she has more clout in the Senate than she would as vice president. On a personal level, Obama and Clinton (and their respective teams) just don't seem to like each other much.

Now, maybe she wants the VP slot anyway. Who knows? But I think she'd be more effective in the Senate, have way more freedom of movement, have more career opportunities, and would do more for the party by helping to hold down a second branch of government than she would by being Obama's shadow. Anyone disagree?
I think that’s right, for the right reasons, but I’d add just one thing: when the President doesn’t especially care for the Vice President, the VP job can be pretty miserable.

Over the last 16 years, we’ve come to think of the Vice Presidency as being a great gig. The VP has power and influence, a key seat at the decision-making table, and is something akin to a presidential partner. Forget John Nance Garner and that “warm bucket of spit” stuff, being the #2 person in the executive branch is pretty sweet.

But it didn’t use to be, and it doesn’t have to be.

Put it this way: the VP has as much influence as the President decides to give him or her. If the President wants the Vice President to spend four (or eight) years going to ribbon-cutting ceremonies, then it’s an boring, mundane job. If the President wants to make the Vice President something of a co-chief executive (cough, cough, Cheney, cough), then it’s a great job.

And now apply this to Obama and Clinton. I think Kevin’s right about the nature of their relationship. I don’t know either of them personally, but my sense is they’re cordial towards one another, but have spent the last year and a half as fairly bitter rivals. Forget warmth and geniality, these two probably don’t necessarily trust one another a whole lot.

Now, I know what many of you are thinking: but JFK didn’t like Johnson! And Reagan didn’t like H.W. Bush! That’s true, and they made successful tickets anyway.

But what these responses miss is that Kennedy didn’t give Johnson anything good to do. And Reagan treated H.W. Bush like “the help.” No real power, no real influence, no policy initiatives to speak of. Just wait in the corner. Don’t call me, I’ll call you. You get to be heir apparent, but not until I’m ready.

If the President doesn’t like the Vice President, the Vice Presidency is hardly worth having. On the other hand, Clinton is a very successful senator, with influence and the respect of her colleagues. It’s easy to imagine Clinton taking the lead in the chamber, partnering with an Obama administration on major policies, most notably on healthcare. My sense of Clinton personally is that she actually enjoys the work — showing leadership in hearings, introducing legislation, working out compromises, etc. She is, in other words, an excellent legislator.

So why get stuck in the Naval Observatory without much to do?

link

Diablos

Reading through that meltdown thread at hillaryis44, I can't help but think of a million facepalm.gif images in my mind. Unbelievable, how dumb some people can be. There's even a guy on there saying the old Polish Communist Party would blush at the fact that Hillary had four delegates stolen from her (in a primary that was completely flawed, admitted by people actually representing the STATE and not either campaign).

Also, didn't Obama end up winning the popular vote?

sangreal

CowboyAstronaut said:
This statement annoyed me the most on Hillaryis44

So much delusion... Hold Obama accountable for running a good, honest campaign that was significantly more superior to the mess that was Hillary's campaign?

That it isn't about the Country and it's all about him crap is far more true for Hillary than it is for Obama and anyone with an ounce of sense knows that.

So Obama is now simply just an opportunist. It's entertaining seeing how these people act as if the title of President of the United States is somehow owed to Hillary Clinto or that nobody else has a right to pursue the office. Looking at how she ran her campaign, I would fear to see this woman in the White House. She has shown time and time again that she has horrible judgment. You mean to tell me that she wasn't intelligent enough to know what would work best for her campaign? How many times during the campaign has she had to re-invent herself and remove staff because things weren't going her way?

Ignoring caucus states? This and all the other things that went wrong with that campaign is not the sign of a leader, but more akin to a person that doesn't know what they are doing being lead around and reprogrammed at some so-called political expert's whim.

A lot of her supporters have deluded themselves into thinking everything her campaign did wrong was his fault. This includes the big name supporters that are now speaking out in support of Obama (Jeralyn at TalkLeft, Jerome at Mydd, TaylorMarsh, etc). The BS they've been spewing for the last few months includes:

RFK assassniation gaffe was a smear by Bill Burton
Obama gamed the system by winning caucuses
Obama is sexist for saying Hillary attacks him when she is losing
Obama used race baiting to win SC and turn the world against Bill Clinton
Obama is at fault for no re-vote in Michigan or Florida (actually, Hillary is)
RBC was stacked with Obama loyalists who stole her delegates

etc

sangreal

Deus Ex Machina said:
Despite Hillary's speech, the divisive message from Hillary surrogates continues

Feinstein: Clinton won popular vote

(emphasis added)

(emphasis added)

Note: Obama won, it's his show.

Some people didn't get the updated talking points apparently, where you're supposed to stress that its Obama's choice (while you work behind the scenes to force her onto the ticket I'm sure)

I thought her campaign got the message that accepting a forced running mate would make Obama look weak. Although I'm sure there are a lot of big Hillary supporters and donors out there who thought they had hitched onto a sure thing. Now they must be worried about the influence they thought they bought with their support/money so I'm sure they are pretty eager to get her into the White House somehow

Diablos said:
Reading through that meltdown thread at hillaryis44, I can't help but think of a million facepalm.gif images in my mind. Unbelievable, how dumb some people can be. There's even a guy on there saying the old Polish Communist Party would blush at the fact that Hillary had four delegates stolen from her (in a primary that was completely flawed, admitted by people actually representing the STATE and not either campaign).

Also, didn't Obama end up winning the popular vote?
By 105,000 voters.

That very same woman, who hosted the meeting between Obama and Hilary at her house said today on CNN that she believes that Obama should make Hilary the Vice President.

Cold Day meet Hell.

What also annoys me to no end is how this 18 million votes talking point that is being done to death everywhere by Clinton surrogates, is somehow becoming exclusive to Hillary Clinton as if Obama didn't also receive millions of votes.

He even received more than she did. I know Hillary and her surrogates would like for it to go down in history that she won the popular vote, but it truly wont. They keep saying this everywhere in hopes that they can fool everyone in this country and around the world into accepting it as fact.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
A lot of people lose influence without a Clinton in charge. Why do you think Obama set up that three person committee. They are going to present the facts to him and none of the nominees will be Clinton. They are going to trot Caroline out and say who she suggests and no one is going to go batshit insane at a Kennedy except for the people already on the fringe.

Fact is that of all the primaries in the States where both names were on the ballot more people voted for Obama. Throw in the caucuses and more people came out for Obama even if you give up Michigan.

Hillary's camp has no business bragging on their fuzzy math 'popular vote' victory unless they want to hurt the party.

Agent Icebeezy said:
A lot of people lose influence without a Clinton in charge. Why do you think Obama set up that three person committee. They are going to present the facts to him and none of the nominees will be Clinton. They are going to trot Caroline out and say who she suggests and no one is going to go batshit insane at a Kennedy except for the people already on the fringe.

Yea I think it was very smart of Obama to place her on the 3 person committee. He really knows what he's doing. I wont even be surprised if she's ultimately the one that does the most interviews on the thought that went into the vetting process or even if she was the one given the task to introduce Obama's VP to the world.

Triumph

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Ha, personally I expect Hillary to be a VP candidate to get vetted. The problem will be that once the vetting process starts, Bill will have to come clean about what he's been up to for the past 8 years with his business dealings and the donor list for his library. If he refuses, she fails the vetting process. And if he complies, I suspect she fails the vetting process.

I'm still not sure which direction Obama goes in for a VP, but my gut pick is Jim Webb. The only problem with that is, who takes his seat in the Senate? The dems don't want to lose any seats if they can help it. Anyway, Obama will likely surprise us with his VP pick but considering the way his campaign has been run I suspect his pick will be better than any of ours.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Fact is that of all the primaries in the States where both names were on the ballot more people voted for Obama. Throw in the caucuses and more people came out for Obama even if you give up Michigan.

Hillary's camp has no business bragging on their fuzzy math 'popular vote' victory unless they want to hurt the party.
The media is scared to call them out on it.

Triumph said:
Ha, personally I expect Hillary to be a VP candidate to get vetted. The problem will be that once the vetting process starts, Bill will have to come clean about what he's been up to for the past 8 years with his business dealings and the donor list for his library. If he refuses, she fails the vetting process. And if he complies, I suspect she fails the vetting process.

I'm still not sure which direction Obama goes in for a VP, but my gut pick is Jim Webb. The only problem with that is, who takes his seat in the Senate? The dems don't want to lose any seats if they can help it. Anyway, Obama will likely surprise us with his VP pick but considering the way his campaign has been run I suspect his pick will be better than any of ours.

Very true. Bill Clinton's business dealings that he refuses to release the records of along with the donors to that library, instantly disqualifies Hilary as a VP.

The Republicans would tear Obama a new one and it would completely destroy his change message. If people that totally had nothing to do with Obama and his message during the Primary then imagine the kind of heat Obama would take when his VP's husband is smothered in all this controversy?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Triumph said:

That was the other thing that was smart on Obama's behalf. They want Bill to come clean about everything because that don't want attacks. When everything is said and done. They are going to have the perfect media alibi. Bubba didn't want to comply with our stipulations. Obama first act of refusal of lobbyist money is not by accident. It would put the Clintons' chances at slim and none.

Triumph said:

I like Webb I really do but, the more I have been thinking about it over the past two days. I don't think that Obama should go with any sitting Senator. He is going to need them in the Senate so that they can push along the type of legislation that he wants. I'm looking at two dark horses at the minute. Wesley Clark (a Clinton supporter) or Richardson (help with latino votes). Both have strengths that compliment his weaknesses and they have what I think are personalities that will compliment what he wants to achieve.

Quite frankly I don't see any benefits to H. Clinton on the ticket that other candidates couldn't provide.

Sharp

grandjedi6 said:
I think Obama should pick himself to be VP. Who could say no to a double Obama ticket?
I agree actually, he polls better just as "Obama" than with most VP candidates

Triumph

Banned
I liked someone else's idea of picking Barney Frank as his running mate- should completely stop any would be bigot assassin from going thru with it. Obama->Frank->Pelosi is like the nightmare scenario for Stormfront. :lol

Tommie Hu$tle said:
I like Webb I really do but, the more I have been thinking about it over the past two days. I don't think that Obama should go with any sitting Senator. He is going to need them in the Senate so that they can push along the type of legislation that he wants. I'm looking at two dark horses at the minute. Wesley Clark (a Clinton supporter) or Richardson (help with latino votes). Both have strengths that compliment his weaknesses and they have what I think are personalities that will compliment what he wants to achieve.

Quite frankly I don't see any benefits to H. Clinton on the ticket that other candidates couldn't provide.

Yea I'm starting to think that the more Hillary is kept out of the bigger picture, meaning the actual ticket this November, the better chance we have at seeing her fade away in the media eye and her more bitter supporters have some serious wind taken out of their sales.

As Hillary continues to take a backseat to the more important business, so shall the bitter supporters. They'll become even more insignificant than they are now. Even individuals as deluded as they are will eventually realize how pointless their entire little revolution truly is.

I look forward to seeing them all embarrass themselves at the convention in Denver. I will also make it a priority to check Hillaryis44 the day Obama wins the election, just to see their reactions.

Gaborn

Triumph said:
I liked someone else's idea of picking Barney Frank as his running mate- should completely stop any would be bigot assassin from going thru with it. Obama->Frank->Pelosi is like the nightmare scenario for Stormfront. :lol

You don't think there are any gay racists out there who wouldn't object to Frank but would object to Obama? There are crazy bigots of every type, black and white, gay and straight, religious and atheist, etc...

sangreal

The gaffe machine continues its extraordinarily high output:
NEWSWEEK: Want to back up a little bit and talk about press coverage. One of the things that you mentioned in your speech in New Orleans was that you felt that the media hadn't recognized or had overlooked some of the attributes that Hillary Clinton had brought to the race. And I wondered—

MCCAIN: I did not [say that]—that was in prepared remarks, and I did not [say it]—I'm not in the business of commenting on the press and their coverage or not coverage … My supporters and friends can comment all they want about the press coverage, and that's their right. They're American citizens. I will not because I believe it's not a profitable enterprise for me to do so. I can't change any of the coverage that I know of except to just campaign as hard as I can and try to seek the approval of the majority of my fellow citizens.

I hope nobody ever tells this man about Youtube :lol

sangreal said:
The gaffe machine continues its extraordinarily high output:

I hope nobody ever tells this man about Youtube :lol

No way he's that stupid. Did McCain really try to suggest that he didn't say those things when he clearly did?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sharp said:
I agree actually, he polls better just as "Obama" than with most VP candidates
Then if something horrible happened and Obama died or got killed, he would be replaced by Obama!
DrForester said:
Don't you mean Obama in a fat suit?

I like how you're thinking:

240xggg.png

Clevinger

CowboyAstronaut said:
No way he's that stupid. Did McCain really try to suggest that he didn't say those things when he clearly did?

He did the same thing with Russert in a debate. He flat out lied and said he didn't say what Russert quoted him on, then the next time on Meet The Press Russert showed him it was real.

Tamanon said:
Actually, did he actually say it? I know it was in the speech that was released, but he might not have said that part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7RuX4pQPLY

grandjedi6

Gaborn said:
You don't think there are any gay racists out there who wouldn't object to Frank but would object to Obama? There are crazy bigots of every type, black and white, gay and straight, religious and atheist, etc...

Silly Gaborn, we all know that all gay racists are also anti-semitic

I don't think Obama will pick up any senators. We need that supermajority to get things done and undo the damage.

He'll pick a governor. Clark, Richardson, Sebelius. I personally think Sebelius would be great.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
FlightOfHeaven said:
I don't think Obama will pick up any senators. We need that supermajority to get things done and undo the damage.

He'll pick a governor. Clark, Richardson, Sebelius. I personally think Sebelius would be great.

Or a non-office holder.

I DONT think he should pick a senator because a double senator ticket just sounds like trouble to me... too much voting record out there. If he picks a senator though, just do it in a state where the governor gets to appoint and the governor is a dem. problem solved.

Thank gods for the internet. This bold new century, where information is king, and the methods of dispersement are ever more vivid and easy to find, will make lying politicians stick out like sore thumbs. I know several people who still think he's a straight talker; I used to think he was a straight talker, too. But these videos throw into high relief what a two-faced liar he is.

What a shame. I had looked at his record before January and was suitably impressed with his candor and some of his stances, even if I disagreed with his voting record and such. What little he had, he lost.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AniHawk said:
I wonder what Reagan would think about his party being the red party.
The colors are traditionally the other way around, with blue being the right-wing party and red being the left-wing... and only recently did we change that in America.

Trakdown

FlightOfHeaven said:
Thank gods for the internet. This bold new century, where information is king, and the methods of dispersement are ever more vivid and easy to find, will make lying politicians stick out like sore thumbs. I know several people who still think he's a straight talker; I used to think he was a straight talker, too. But these videos throw into high relief what a two-faced liar he is.

What a shame. I had looked at his record before January and was suitably impressed with his candor and some of his stances, even if I disagreed with his voting record and such. What little he had, he lost.

Speaking as an Arizonan who's had a front row for McCain's last 8 years, I can tell you how laughable the "maverick" tag is. I remember when it applied, and compared to what it is now...he's just another Bush politician with outmoded ideas.

FlightOfHeaven said:

I like them as well HOWEVER Sebelius doesn't bring the foreign policy chops that I think Barak Obama needs. Richardson would be a good pic because of his history and his potential ability to pick up Latinos therefore putting most of the west in play for the D. His draw back is that his split from the Clinton camp was pretty hardcore and may anger Clintonites. Clark has the FP/Military chops that Obama could use, he has the ability to put Arkansas as well as the hard working white vote in play in the rust belt. His drawbacks are that he isn't particularly inspiring.

grandjedi6 said:
Silly Gaborn, we all know that all gay racists are also anti-semitic
And misogynistic, and probably anti-mormon too. That whole line of succession would be nightmarish for this hypothetical gay, bigoted assassin.

grandjedi6

icarus-daedelus said:
And misogynistic, and probably anti-mormon too. That whole line of succession would be nightmarish for this hypothetical gay, bigoted assassin.
Romney to become the new President Pro temp?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Triumph said:

Barney Frank would be a completely awesome.

We need less boring GAF fanfiction about Sebelius and more Barney Frank speculation!

Remember when Dave Dreier was in line for the Majority Leader spot but there was an insurrection of GOP back-benchers? Someone asked Frank if Dreier (who's rumored to be gay) lost the job because he's a moderate.

Frank said "Yeah, and I was at a moderate bar last night."

Tommie Hu$tle said:
I like them as well HOWEVER Sebelius doesn't bring the foreign policy chops that I think Barak Obama needs. Richardson would be a good pic because of his history and his potential ability to pick up Latinos therefore putting most of the west in play for the D. His draw back is that his split from the Clinton camp was pretty hardcore and may anger Clintonites. Clark has the FP/Military chops that Obama could use, he has the ability to put Arkansas as well as the hard working white vote in play in the rust belt. His drawbacks are that he isn't particularly inspiring.
You miss the memo? Obama feels he has no weakness on foreign policy, and he's not going to choose a VP simply because they may bring a state. What you think this 50 state strategy is for? not to mention the biggest grass roots campaign anyone has ever seen.

He can now focus on a VP candidate that will compliment him.. and not worry about this other non-sense that other nominees had to bother with.

AniHawk

Mandark said:
Barney Frank would be a completely awesome.

We need less boring GAF fanfiction about Sebelius and more Barney Frank speculation!

Remember when Dave Dreier was in line for the Majority Leader spot but there was an insurrection of GOP back-benchers? Someone asked Frank if Dreier (who's rumored to be gay) lost the job because he's a moderate.

Frank said "Yeah, and I was at a moderate bar last night."

What are the chances of Dreier losing this year?

EDIT: God damnit. 46% Republican, 35% Democrat.

grandjedi6

icarus-daedelus said:
Sheeeeiiiiiit, I thought Reid was next in line for whatever reason.

Well, Byrd was a former KKK guy, so maybe he gets a pass, eh?

Next in line? Reid isn't even in the line :lol

grandjedi6 said:
Next in line? Reid isn't even in the line :lol
Is it really that implausible to think Speaker of the House > Senate Majority Leader? I personally try to forget that seniority (and Robert Byrd) even exist, so the problem may lie in personal demons of my own with the office of President Pro Tempore of the Senate. >_>

EDIT: Also, not memorizing the line of succession. I know it goes through cabinet members next, but does the Secretary of Transportation come before Secretary of HUD?? A mystery, my friend, a mystery.

EDIT 2: Holy crap, HUD comes before Transportation. I never would have known!

Deus Ex Machina said:
You miss the memo? Obama feels he has no weakness on foreign policy, and he's not going to choose a VP simply because they may bring a state. What you think this 50 state strategy is for? not to mention the biggest grass roots campaign anyone has ever seen.

He can now focus on a VP candidate that will compliment him.. and not worry about this other non-sense that other nominees had to bother with.

Well if he has no weakness and doesn't need any states then who would you recommend? I disagree with you, I think that he needs to work on two regions (Sun Belt and Rust belt) and I also believe that he has to have a good way to counter McCain's military/FP credentials. I think he needs a VP who can help in those areas and Clark and Richardson are the first that come to mind. I used AR as an example of one of the states that could move in to in play status but, I think it is far more important to focus on regions rather than states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom