• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim-E said:
3145b7r.png

vegeta-9000_thumb.png

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
CharlieDigital said:
Fuck, I'm tearing up watching this man.

The close ups are especially amazing....

I don't see how you can watch something like that and not be moved. I teared up too.

Chichikov said:
Calling Brokaw a Republican shill is joke.
He is one of the most respected TV journalists in this country and he was fine in this interview.
Not everyone who quote an unflattering poll is out to get your candidate, leave that BS to Fox News.

oh yes he is

http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/0908/Brokaw_pushes_OprahPalin_story.html

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=3601

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/sep/25/e26speechweb/

I can bring other sources too

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
IT's OVER 325555555555555

mccain is gonna pull a stunt this week FOR SURE

he has to with palin putting the nail in his coffin on thursday

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Karma Kramer said:
So Obama basically doing really well right now huh?

The election is still over 30 days away, but this is probably the best he has polled since the primaries ended.

Amir0x

Banned
PoliGAF is going to be crushed if Palin doesn't implode on stage. The media will totally be all shock and awe and "she has removed clearly any doubts that she could be president in-worst-case" if they don't have a story of her epic collapse to cover, so she better make big mistakes!

Rur0ni

Pacman mouth is really shutting there. Obama's rallies in VA and NC this weekend were superb really, and he ends it with motivating people to knock on doors and talk to their families.

Tobor

Y2Kev said:

Red Dawn style Russian invasion of Alaska incoming!

Amir0x said:
PoliGAF is going to be crushed if Palin doesn't implode on stage. The media will totally be all shock and awe and "she has removed clearly any doubts that she could be president in-worst-case" if they don't have a story of her epic collapse to cover, so she better make big mistakes!

I agree... I think she will do better then expected which in turn will give her a win or tie...

At the same time though... can you imagine the amount of pressure she has right now. Thats got to have an effect on ones confidence.

ezekial45

Banned
Y2Kev said:

I have this terrible feeling that something might happen with Palin at the debate. Like she might actually pull through on the debates. I know that so far she's come off as completely clueless, but.....i don't know. Just something doesn't seem right.

Tobor

Amir0x said:

I would agree, but she couldn't even handle the guy at the Cheesesteak place without screwing up.

Kildace

The Lamonster said:
I bet Palin will do better than you think.

Yes she will. It's like her RNC speech where after 4 days of lowered expectations she came out with a bang. She is not going to implode and she will land a few scripted jabs on Obama and Biden. Neither she nor the McCain campaign are going to implode after the debate, it's just wishful thinking.

Edit: Edited for less stupidity and more sense.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ezekial45 said:
I have this terrible feeling that something might happen with Palin at the debate. Like she might actually pull through on the debates. I know that so far she's come off as completely clueless, but.....i don't know. Just something doesn't seem right.

Do you really believe the woman in those interviews is capable of going toe to toe with Joe Biden for 90 minutes?

I think this is just Poli-gaf being the chicken littles that we are and assuming the worst out of everything.

Edit: this is nothing like her RNC speech. At that point there was no reason to believe she couldnt give a good speech, the arguements were she was not qualified. Reading a scripted speech written by a team of pros in front of 20K hard-core republicans and giving an interview/debate are two very different things.

You have to go off script and think on your feet and I have seen no evidence that she can do either when it comes to these national issues. She hasnt been focusing on them because she is a state governor, its not her fault. She is just in over her head. Its not like Dubya where he prepped for a year because he was running for president, she came out of left field with little to no prep.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Kildace said:
Yes she will. It's like her RNC speech where after 4 days of lowered expectations she came out with a bang. She is not going to implode and she will land a few scripted jabs on McCain and Biden. Neither she nor the McCain campaign are going to implode after the debate, it's just wishful thinking.

That would be an interesting tactic

Tim-E

ezekial45 said:

s30fmx.jpg

Tobor

Suikoguy said:
That would be an interesting tactic

:lol I didn't catch that until you brought it up.

StoOgE said:
Do you really believe the woman in those interviews is capable of going toe to toe with Joe Biden for 90 minutes?

I think this is just Poli-gaf being the chicken littles that we are and assuming the worst out of everything.

Exactly. She couldn't handle a graduate student, let alone Biden and Lehrer.

ezekial45

Banned
StoOgE said:

So far this entire election has seem some crazy stuff happen. The most likely event to happen is Palin coming off even more clueless, but this feeling i got won't subside till after the debate has ended.

I'm just worried. Thats all.

Suikoguy

Kildace said:
Ugh. Brain fart.

I knew what you meant, but it was a pretty hilarious mistake :D
Especially with the comment Palin made about Pakistan at the Bar.

Chichikov

artredis1980 said:
oh yes he is
Seriously, have you followed the news or the political scene for 10 minutes?
Let's look at them one by one -

artredis1980 said:
It is a rather unusual move for a talk show host to back up a candidate, and he asked Biden a fair question about the perception it might create. What did you expect him to ask? Hannity-esque queries like "Joe, just how awesome you are?"

artredis1980 said:
What's wrong with this quote?
He's making a tactical political analysis, and a smart one, remember the shit-storm that Clark got into when he made a correct observation about McCain military record.

artredis1980 said:
Most of GAF thought it was a smart tactical move as well; he was wrong about it (mainly because it was SOOOOOOO poorly managed by McCain and his surrogates), but being wrong does not equate bias.

artredis1980 said:
I can bring other sources too
Wait, I can bring them too -
http://www.mediaresearch.org/realitycheck/2003/fax20030903.asp
OMFG teh liberul!

Kildace

Suikoguy said:
I knew what you meant, but it was a pretty hilarious mistake :D
Especially with the comment Palin made about Pakistan at the Bar.

Definitely, she's been working more against her team than for them so far, which is probably what caused the brain fart!

Krowley

The thing about Palin in the debates....

I have looked at her performance in the Alaska governers debate. She did really well there, and she always seemed to know all the pertinent issues very well. She was very combative and aggressive and absolutley held her own.

But here's the thing, in her interviews with the press since she was picked, you can see this look in her eyes that she doesn't know the issues at hand. This is not even remotley the same person you see in those alaskan debates. She was very well informed on the issues an alaskan governer would need to know, but she is absolutley NOT informed on the issues a vice president needs to know. This is not the type of person who has a great deal of curiosity about things beyond her immediate world and close-to-home problems.

How she does in the debate will depend on how much she can cram in a short period of time. I think it may be impossible for her to learn without 8 or 9 months of study. She is actually a very good debater, but obviously you can't win a debate if you don't know any of the important issues that well, especially against Biden, who is also a naturaly good debater.

Chrono

Banned
It's sad seeing posters here talking about McCain being a LION :)lol ) in foreign policy and OMG HE KNOWS HIS STUFF MAKE HIM SECRETARY OF DEFENSE PLEASE.

All he did was bullshit his way through and pretend to know what he was talking about, mentioning some foreign countries and leaders to make him look knowledgeable while telling Obama that he 'doesn't understand' or whatever, just repeating it over and over to stick with the idiots.

I guess all it takes is the appearance of having knowledge and wisdom, even from somebody who graduated at the near bottom of his class and did nothing but survive in the senate for decades with nothing special on his record. Oh wait, he was a former prisoner of war. What does that mean? That logic can't be used when talking about McCain. Even if he's running for president of the most powerful country in the world in one of the most dangerous and tumultuous times in recent history. What a dumb fucking world we live in.

If anything his story if refusing release unless everybody was released with him was most likely a calculated move for his future. The more I learn about McCain the more I suspect that was the case.

As for the debate in general, I think Obama failed pretty hard. I don't care what the polls say, he could have ripped McCain to shreds and he didn't. He didn't screw up though and that's something. Sigh.

Dot50Cal said:
So, wait, I thought the Republican Guard was from Iraq, not Iran? Did both of them fuck up or am I insane?

Yeah they both messed up. The Republican Guard was from Iraq, the Iranians have the Revolutionary Guard.

Rur0ni

My official prediction on Palin is: She doesn't completely fail, the failure that would have people throwing their remotes at their TVs and setting things on fire. She'll do alright in the context of the media not trashing her. Her favorability may improve... race remains in Obama's favor till next Presidential debate and we'll see what's going on.

:O

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Chichikov said:
Seriously, have you followed the news or the political scene for 10 minutes?
Let's look at them one by one -

It is a rather unusual move for a talk show host to back up a candidate, and he asked Biden a fair question about the perception it might create. What did you expect him to ask? Hannity-esque queries like "Joe, just how awesome you are?"

What's wrong with this quote?
He's making a tactical political analysis, and a smart one, remember the shit-storm that Clark got into when he made a correct observation about McCain military record.

Most of GAF thought it was a smart tactical move as well; he was wrong about it (mainly because it was SOOOOOOO poorly managed by McCain and his surrogates), but being wrong does not equate bias.

Wait, I can bring them too -
http://www.mediaresearch.org/realitycheck/2003/fax20030903.asp
OMFG teh liberul!
Stop defending the guy, that last comment was inappropiate for an impartial entity.

GhaleonEB

theviolenthero said:
Video of Obama on Face the Nation this morning:

Pt. 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRyQSJzlt_s

Pt. 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-zOBEHdPk4
Just wanted to quote this for anyone who missed it in the barrage of fivethirtyeight graphs. I'm part way through the second section, and it's really good. Obama has gotten very good at quick, punchy answers that flesh out his positions well. He's much more confident than in comparable interviews during the primary.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Krowley said:

I have looked at her performance in the Alaska governers debate. She did really well there, and she always seemed to know all the pertinent issues very well. She was very combative and aggressive and absolutley held her own.

But here's the thing, When she's done interviews with the press since she was picked, you can see this look in her eyes that she doesn't know the issues at hand. This is not even remotley the same person you see in those alaskan debates. She was very well informed on the issues an alaskan governer would need to know, but she is absolutley NOT informed on the issues a vice president needs to know.

How she does in the debate will depend on how much she can cram in a short period of time. I think it may be impossible for her to learn enough without about 8 or 9 months of study. She is actually a very good debater, but obviously you can't win a debate if you don't know any of the important issues that well, especially against biden, who is also a naturaly good debater.

That is the exact problem. It may not be that she is dumb, she just doesnt know this stuff because even she said, she was focused on Alaskan issues.

Now she is trying to cram a shitload of new information in just a month. You can tell she was given talking point in these interviews, and she is trying to hit them all but they are coming off jumbled and messy. She is trying so hard to get them all they come out in a random order and there is no cohesiveness to her thoughts.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Krowley said:

But here's the thing, in her interviews with the press since she was picked, you can see this look in her eyes that she doesn't know the issues at hand. This is not even remotley the same person you see in those alaskan debates. She was very well informed on the issues an alaskan governer would need to know, but she is absolutley NOT informed on the issues a vice president needs to know. This is not the type of person who has a great deal of curiosity about things beyond her immediate world and close-to-home problems.

How she does in the debate will depend on how much she can cram in a short period of time. I think it may be impossible for her to learn without 8 or 9 months of study. She is actually a very good debater, but obviously you can't win a debate if you don't know any of the important issues that well, especially against Biden, who is also a naturaly good debater.
Exactly!

Stridone

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
Not even close. If you have any question about what motivated this mess, you only have to look to see where the epicenter of the meltdown is: Wall Street. The mess is in how investors, fueled by greed with total lack of responsibility reaped billions of dollars by reselling mortgages made to anyone who applied. If they were motivated by anything to extend mortgages to minorities and those of lower economic status, it was only motivated by their ability to package their mortgages -- good or bad -- into securities to be sold.

-snip-

Likewise, in the MLB, we don't count the wins and losses as a measure of success for guys like Alex Rodriguez. We count them for the pitchers. Even if a loss is due to an error, the blame for it, the "L" goes to the pitcher.

George Bush isn't solely to fault for this, but he deserves the "L".

So it was just a silly libertarian argument after all. Thanks guys. :D

And wow@ 538.

StoOgE said:
I got pretty pissed as well when he pulled that shit. I mean, what the fuck, you are the host of a debate essentially. You dont get to declare a winner at the end of it.

I hate the fact that this asshole gets to moderate a debate.

I've been saying this for quite some time but other board members insist that Brokaw only does what he does to counterbalance the likes of Keith O. and Maddow.....even though for a show such as MTP he should be totally impartial. Go figure.

Chichikov

ralexand said:
Stop defending the guy, that last comment was inappropiate for an impartial entity.
Have you watched Meet the Press today?
Do you think he was biased?
Do you think Brokaw is partial or a Republican shill?
FFS people.

StoOgE said:
That is the exact problem. It may not be that she is dumb, she just doesnt know this stuff because even she said, she was focused on Alaskan issues.

Now she is trying to cram a shitload of new information in just a month. You can tell she was given talking point in these interviews, and she is trying to hit them all but they are coming off jumbled and messy. She is trying so hard to get them all they come out in a random order and there is no cohesiveness to her thoughts.

This doesn't even need to be discussed. The very fact that she has to cram says that:

1. She is NOT ready for this position as McCain can keel over any day.
  2. She is NOT ready to have a role in international politics as we've seen Cheney perform recently in the Georgian conflict.
  3. She is NOT ready to do much of anything for the US. As she so stated herself, I would imagine her vice presidency being about how she can funnel even MORE government funds to Alaska.
  4. John McCain should NOT be allowed to attain the presidency for such a misguided choice and putting his own interests before that of the nation. We deserve a vice president that is versed in world affairs and understands the concerns of the country, not just his or her own state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom