• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharp said:
They're not really going through with this wedding thing, are they? That would be possibly the most transparent ploy of this entire election season, primaries included.

That would be one hell of a shotgun wedding... I think they have another ploy for this week. I just don't see the debate happening on Thursday.

"The Flintstones" as history?

flintstones5.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-palinreligion28-2008sep28,0,3643718.story?track=rss

ANCHORAGE -- Soon after Sarah Palin was elected mayor of the foothill town of Wasilla, Alaska, she startled a local music teacher by insisting in casual conversation that men and dinosaurs coexisted on an Earth created 6,000 years ago -- about 65 million years after scientists say most dinosaurs became extinct -- the teacher said.

After conducting a college band and watching Palin deliver a commencement address to a small group of home-schooled students in June 1997, Wasilla resident Philip Munger said, he asked the young mayor about her religious beliefs.

Palin told him that "dinosaurs and humans walked the Earth at the same time," Munger said. When he asked her about prehistoric fossils and tracks dating back millions of years, Palin said "she had seen pictures of human footprints inside the tracks," recalled Munger, who teaches music at the University of Alaska in Anchorage and has regularly criticized Palin in recent years on his liberal political blog, called Progressive Alaska.

The idea of a "young Earth" -- that God created the Earth about 6,000 years ago, and dinosaurs and humans coexisted early on -- is a popular strain of creationism.

LMFAO over here! hahahaha

GhaleonEB

Tracking Poll Summary

Obama's lead is 6.8%, up from 5.5% yesterday. I think it's significant that three of the four trackers have Obama at 50%.

Here's a wrap-up of the four major national tracking polls for today. With one new day of post-debate data within the three-day tracking polls, Barack Obama's lead is growing.

• Gallup: Obama 50%, McCain 42%, with a ±2% margin of error. Yesterday, Obama was up 49%-44%.

• Rasmussen: Obama 50%, McCain 44%, with a ±2% margin of error, unchanged from yesterday.

• Hotline/Diageo: Obama 47%, McCain 42%, with a ±3.2% margin of error, compared to a 48%-43% Obama lead yesterday.

• Research 2000: Obama 50%, McCain 43%, with a ±3% margin of error. Yesterday, Obama was up 49%-43%.

Adding these polls together and weighting them by sample sizes, Obama is ahead by a margin of 49.7%-42.9%, up from a lead yesterday of 49.3%-43.8%.

These numbers entirely span the time since John McCain announced his quasi-suspension of his campaign to deal with the financial crisis, and they include one day of post-debate data. And it looks like that period of time has been very favorable for Barack Obama.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Sharp said:
It's so negative though. Makes me feel dirty watching it, even though I know it's true. Oh well, my dream of a positive campaign from either candidate was shattered months ago anyway.

They're not really going through with this wedding thing, are they? That would be possibly the most transparent ploy of this entire election season, primaries included.

1) Its a third party ad, they can be negative without hurting the campaign, its not like Obama had anything to do with it. It is also all true, I mean, they are all McCain sound bites, cant be much more objective than that.

2) I hope they go through with the wedding thing. This will go from an Obama win to Dukkakis levels of open mocking 20 years from now,

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's wrong to have such a negative ad with "truth and hope.org" at the end. still, glad the liberal 527s are not sitting back and taking it.

Hootie

Deus Ex Machina said:
"The Flintstones" as history?

http://shopping.animazing.com/gallery/images/flintstones5.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-palinreligion28-2008sep28,0,3643718.story?track=rss[/url]

LMFAO over here! hahahaha[/QUOTE]

And this deluded inbred, ladies and gentlemen, has a chance at becoming the 2nd most powerful person on Earth!

*shudder*

:lol
In an election campaign notable for its surprises, Sarah Palin, the Republican vice- presidential candidate, may be about to spring a new one -- the wedding of her pregnant teenage daughter to her ice-hockey-playing fiancé before the November 4 election.
Inside John McCain's campaign the expectation is growing that there will be a popularity boosting pre-election wedding in Alaska between Bristol Palin, 17, and Levi Johnston, 18, her schoolmate and father of her baby. "It would be fantastic," said a McCain insider. "You would have every TV camera there. The entire country would be watching. It would shut down the race for a week."
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4837644.ece

Disclaimer from Marshall
I take everything I read about American politics in the British papers with a grain of salt. But giving what we've seen so far, I can't say I'd be surprised if the moral jalopy that is the McCain-Palin Straight Talk Express sunk us even further into farce with something like this. From the Times of London ...

Good lord, the Times is probably just making shit up laughing at this. But if this story is true

I just saw the weirdest thing on the CNN ticker :lol

"Gov. Schwarzenegger vetoes bill that would fine motorists $35 for driving with a pet in their lap"

Out of all the news that is going on in the world today, that merited a mention on the CNN ticker?

Tobor

soul creator said:

"Gov. Schwarzenegger vetoes bill that would fine motorists $35 for driving with a pet in their lap"

Out of all the crazy news that is going on in the world today, that merited a mention on the CNN ticker?

I can't stand people who do this. Morons.

giga

soul creator said:
I've honestly never seen that before, lol. I live in Texas though...is it a big deal in California or something?
i see it all the time in georgia. awful drivers here.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/28/mccain-retracts-palins-pakistan-comments/ said:
McCain retracts Palin's Pakistan comments
Posted: 01:15 PM ET

From CNN's Emily Sherman
CNN

Watch: Gov. Sarah Palin answers questions at Tony Lukes in South Philadelphia.

WASHINGTON (CNN)— Sen. John McCain retracted Sarah Palin's stance on Pakistan Sunday morning, after the Alaska governor appeared to back Sen. Barack Obama's support for unilateral strikes inside Pakistan against terrorists

"She would not…she understands and has stated repeatedly that we're not going to do anything except in America's national security interest," McCain told ABC's George Stephanopoulos of Palin. "In all due respect, people going around and… sticking a microphone while conversations are being held, and then all of a sudden that's—that's a person's position… This is a free country, but I don't think most Americans think that that's a definitve policy statement made by Governor Palin."

Saturday night, while on a stop for cheesesteaks in South Philadelphia, Palin was questioned by a Temple graduate student about whether the U.S. should cross the border from Afghanistan into Pakistan.

"If that's what we have to do stop the terrorists from coming any further in, absolutely, we should," Palin said.

During Friday night's presidential debate in Mississippi, Obama took a similar stance and condemned the Bush administration for failing to act on the possibility terrorists are in Pakistan.

"Nobody talked about attacking Pakistan," Obama said after McCain accused the Illinois senator of wanting to announce an invasion. "If the United States has al Qaeda, bin Laden, top-level lieutenants in our sights, and Pakistan is unable or unwilling to act, then we should take them out."

McCain emphasized Sunday, Palin "shares" his view on the matter.

It's completely unfair to ask a VP candidate a policy question at a campaign stop. Uh-huh

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Tobor

soul creator said:
I've honestly never seen that before, lol. I live in Texas though...is it a big deal in California or something?

Here in VA, I see it more than I'd like. It's always rich old people in Lexus SUV's with little ratty lap dogs who do it.

I saw one woman driving a BMW with a dog on her lap and she was talking on a cell phone. Infuriating.

Tim-E

OuterWorldVoice said:
It was posted and while it seems like speculation, it also seems logical. Kid can't be born out of wedlock and the bigger she gets, the more ridiculous the ceremony will look. I imagine it will now be held behind closed doors, if they have the sense of a pebble.

This is the McCain campaign we're talking about here.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
soul creator said:

Out of all the news that is going on in the world today, that merited a mention on the CNN ticker?

I watched a woman run a red light and t-bone a Golf GTI doing this about three weeks ago.

Stridone

Banned
I have a question about the economic crisis. I've heard many say that it's due to greed, but a Dutch article I just read explains how banks were actually forced to lend money with great risks due to Jimmy Carters Community Reinvestment Act. Is this true?

Tim-E

mamacint said:
"I don't know what's going on with those bears and John McCain" :lol

Months ago Obama said on the Colbert Report that "Grizzly bears are the number one threat to America"

FLIP FLOPPER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom