• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not talking about conservatism dying out. I'm talking about how the younger generation isn't as easily duped by theocracy and plutocracy. The Republican party will either have to transform and become a more rational conservative party, or face such hard times over the next 16 years that it could, possibly, end up being replaced.

I'm looking forward to the conservative party putting god out of the picture. But neither party really will do that.

I'm not talking about conservatism dying out. I'm talking about how the younger generation isn't as easily duped by theocracy and plutocracy. The Republican party will either have to transform and become a more rational conservative party, or face such hard times over the next 16 years that it could, possibly, end up being replaced.

Hey, I hope so. But I still believe that anti-intellectualism is stronger than ever in the US and there will always be a strong vocal party for those folks.

besada

Banned
I'm looking forward to the conservative party putting god out of the picture. But neither party really will do that.
What's been interesting has been how little God there has been in this cycle. Romney's kept it quiet because walking down that road brings up uncomfortable questions for him. It's been the most secular cycle in my lifetime.

Clevinger

Oh sure, you can have one night of gloating, hell you can have 1,000 nights of gloating, but don't be shocked when they respond to your gloating with gloating of their own when you stumble.

That's not the cycle. The only way to stop the cycle is when people like Rush and Hannity and Malkin and Beck and all the hateful right wing radio and Fox News lose influence. They produce the hate you see in Republicans, not Democrats being mean to them when they lose sometimes.

I agree liberals shouldn't be doing that anyways. I just disagree that it's a big part of this cycle you refer to.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's been interesting has been how little God there has been in this cycle. Romney's kept it quiet because walking down that road brings up uncomfortable questions for him. It's been the most secular cycle in my lifetime.

It's been really nice, too. It's just a shame that Dems can't have someone who simply out and says "I don't believe in God" as that'd damage their party. We're still a nation under God, and it shows.

Also I know Romney doesn't want to bring it up either as he knows how most other Christians see Mormons - they look at them as the "weirdos" of Christianity and it's best if people don't pay attention to that. Different denominations will go after each other if they're given any real reason.

Blegh. I got lots of wishes...

Yet, for some reason there is a rise in the level of people who no longer believe in evolution.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155003/Hold-Creationist-View-Human-Origins.aspx

There are plenty of younger "folks" who are now getting home schooled and then getting shipped off to schools like Liberty & Bob Jones where they never have to engage in critical thinking.

It's been really nice, too. It's just a shame that Dems can't have someone who simply out and says "I don't believe in God" as that'd damage their party. We're still a nation under God, and it shows.

Also I know Romney doesn't want to bring it up either as he knows how most other Christians see Mormons - they look at them as the "weirdos" of Christianity and it's best if people don't pay attention to that. Different denominations will go after each other if they're given any real reason.

Blegh. I got lots of wishes...

The only "God" moment was during the VP debate when Biden and Ryan expressed their versions of Catholicism.

pigeon

Banned
Yet, for some reason there is a rise in the level of people who no longer believe in evolution.

There are plenty of younger "folks" who are now getting home schooled and then getting shipped off to schools like Liberty & Bob Jones where they never have to engage in critical thinking.

Don't assume this reflects the changing thinking of younger folks. The percentage of Republicans believing in global warming has gone DOWN in the last four years. As the GOP moves further to the right, people suddenly start repudiating ideas they previously thought were reasonable. Doesn't necessarily mean the youth agree.

Game-Biz

Ugh, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. This poll is hard to believe, but perhaps I just need to get out more.

Clevinger

The only "God" moment was during the VP debate when Biden and Ryan expressed their versions of Catholicism.

Plus when Democrats removed, then added back God from the language in their platform and everyone freaked out for a day.

"THEY DIDN'T HAVE GOD IN THEIR PLATFORM. I WILL KEEP THIS A NATION OF GOD IF I'M PRESIDENT!"

Ugh, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. This poll is hard to believe, but perhaps I just need to get out more.

Hopefully it's just Gallup being incompetent.

Don't assume this reflects the changing thinking of younger folks. The percentage of Republicans believing in global warming has gone DOWN in the last four years. As the GOP moves further to the right, people suddenly start repudiating ideas they previously thought were reasonable. Doesn't necessarily mean the youth agree.

There are a lot of young republicans I know who will pay lip service to these ideas but I sense they accept them with much trepidation. Once the old folk die or come round they will revert to rational ideas. The thing is I can even get some of my younger friends who are actually involved in republican politics to agree to liberal positions when you discribe them without referring them to as the democratic position but the moment they find a GOP talking point they revert back.

I have hope that once the tea party starts to die we'll see a rise in rational conservatism, when even when I disagree I welcome. A choice of ideas is always better then one when both have rational arguments and reasons.

markatisu

LOL

I love how people talk to me/call me out even when I haven't posted for hours <3

But yeah, I knew people were downplaying Sandy. How are things looking around Philly? Anyone know?

I think there are two areas, electorally speaking, that could really be potentially fucked by Sandy: Eastern PA (due to power issues mainly) and Northern VA which is a Dem stronghold and vital for delivering it to Obama.

In NJ they are bringing in the National Guard with voting machines for those areas without power. I would assume if those areas are in the same shitty way the National Guard will come there with voting machines as well.

Ras is showing a tie lol

What if Obama leads ras tomorrow? GOP diablosing all around to come.

They are citing the Ras polls that have Romney +2 in Ohio, +2 in Virginia, +2 in New Hampshire, +3 in Colorado, +1 in Iowa, and tied in Wisconsin. It's really all they have at the moment

Perhaps, perhaps not. Hopefully you're right.

However, you would think the trends regardless would have been positive from 1982 to 2012 in terms of a belief in evolution. After all, more and more people were getting a better education in evolution than earlier generations did. Yet, the polls don't seem to indicate this increase in education having an effect. Then again, maybe this Gallup poll is just oversampling the South again.

There are a lot of young republicans I know who will pay lip service to these ideas but I sense they accept them with much trepidation. Once the old folk die or come round they will revert to rational ideas. The thing is I can even get some of my younger friends who are actually involved in republican politics to agree to liberal positions when you discribe them without referring them to as the democratic position but the moment they find a GOP talking point they revert back.

I have hope that once the tea party starts to die we'll see a rise in rational conservatism, when even when I disagree I welcome. A choice of ideas is always better then one when both have rational arguments and reasons.

I hope so, but our education system gives me little hope in this regard. Plus we cannot discount generations of old conservative money that will continue to influence the cultural and political landscape for years to come.

LOL

I love how people talk to me/call me out even when I haven't posted for hours <3

But yeah, I knew people were downplaying Sandy. How are things looking around Philly? Anyone know?

I think there are two areas, electorally speaking, that could really be potentially fucked by Sandy: Eastern PA (due to power issues mainly) and Northern VA which is a Dem stronghold and vital for delivering it to Obama.

I have a history of underestimating weather. I was caught on Lakeshore Drive in the snowstorm for 10 hours or so, a year and a half ago!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What's going on in Northern VA then? Anyone know?

I'll humor you and tell you that Virginia suffered minimal damage from the hurricane from every report I'm seeing. The only real threat I've seen reported is heavy snow in the Western part which is not the Democratic stronghold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom