• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasser

beyonce-coldpay-hftw-10.jpg

Hymn for the Weekend Video

Omg are those tumblr SJW going to be pissed off bc of the whole "cultural appropriation" thing?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Damn, Rihanna's not doing too hot huh? It's okay. The easiest way for a pop star to get cred is for people to not get your work. History will be kind to ANTI. <3

Also, Higher is far and away the best track on the alber. Fight me sistren.
Why would I fight someone who is self harming tho?

Omg are those tumblr SJW going to be pissed off bc of the whole "cultural appropriation" thing?

I hope so. SJWs think they're making the world a better place but all they're doing is reinforcing the idea that different people need to keep their culture/histories separate and not unify. The more people celebrate each other the better. And Beyonce looks beautiful there.

Why would I fight someone who is self harming tho?

Lol, well done

Mau ®

Kevin Parker of Tame Impala fame loved Rih's cover:

The Roc Nation team got in touch with us here at Spinning Top letting us know that Rihanna loved the Tame Impala track 'New Person, Same Old Mistakes'. They asked if she could cover the song for her new record. Kevin was more than happy to send it her way. We’re all really happy with how the song turned out, love it!

Parker needs to produce her next alberm and truly serve an ANTI experiencé.

Floridian

Tiny Mixtapes 4/5
ANTI is folk music played in a video-drome circularly projecting a 360° image of sprawling, semi-wilderness on fire as a compassionate, loving apocalypse. It&#8217;s a charged bleeding heart of sponsorship and exclusivity thrown into the throat of Yosemite. It&#8217;s a white horse galloping fiend-like across the continental divide, with a hoof-print-tire-tread that could pull the land apart.

A.V Club - B+
Ultimately, it might be to Anti&#8217;s artistic benefit that those tracks were excised, as they likely would have only usurped the natural cohesion of the album&#8217;s general themes and sonic moods. The &#8220;don&#8217;t give a fuck&#8221; posture that Rihanna has adopted in her public life naturally works its way into the DNA of the songs here, making the moments when that façade cracks incredibly compelling. She clearly knows what she wants&#8212;whether it&#8217;s a single late-night encounter on &#8220;Yeah, I Said It&#8221; (&#8220;I ain&#8217;t tryin&#8217; to think about it, no / Yeah, I said it, boy, get up inside it&#8221;) or to be with someone else on &#8220;Love On The Brain&#8221; (&#8220;I&#8217;m fist-fighting with fire just to get close to you / Can we burn something babe?&#8221;)&#8212;and she&#8217;s adamant in her pursuit. In the end, Anti&#8217;s tracks combine to create a picture of Rihanna at her most relatable and enthralling.

Independent - 4/5

Rihanna&#8217;s don&#8217;t give a f**k attitude pervades Anti in the best possible way. She&#8217;s offered bouncy, relaxed Dancehall tracks that suit her natural Barbadian rhythm down to a T like the surefire Drake collaboration &#8220;Work&#8221; released earlier this week, (she&#8217;s had a No1 with him before with &#8220;What&#8217;s My Name?&#8221;, so it&#8217;s a safe bet to collaborate again, and boy does it work), but what&#8217;s exciting is she&#8217;s tested her own limits. She&#8217;s had a stab at an Amy Winehouse-inspired number (&#8220;Higher&#8221;) and even a Tame Impala cover (&#8220;Same &#8216;Ol Mistakes&#8221;).

At least some positive reviews are starting to come in.

Zayn - 'Pillow Talk' | Dope song. It's well written; "It's a place that is so pure, so dirty and raw ... it's paradise and it's war zone". Zayn's vocals with the beat/production are euphoric yet gritty. Great for him because it's shows some range. The video is visually simulating, but with that we don't see any of his personality. That is not a good look for a "new" artist (or one appearing new), but fortunately for him he's very handsome. #OnRepeat

Rihanna - 'ANTI' | I think this is Rihanna at her core, how she truly feels. So it's probably very intimate to her; judging by some of the content of the songs and the length of time it took release ANTI. It's ok It's good, I'll continue to listen but where's the rest. Yes, Rihanna has been scorned by love and stays HIGH, but she's also a fun girl. That is misrepresented in this album that's supposed to be intimate to her. Where the music created and inspired by her numerous beautiful exotic vacations, because I want hear that along with this. Rihanna is too dynamic and I suggest should revert back to her once a year releases so we can get know the full range of Rihanna.
Edit: I want to add another positive; This album will get better with more listens and while I won't call it timeless, I can see myself revisiting ANTI when the mood is right.
Stand-outs 'James Joint', 'Work', and 'Needed Me'

Favorite Rihanna album(s): 'A Girl Like Me' followed by 'Rated R'

3phemeral

I hope so. SJWs think they're making the world a better place but all they're doing is reinforcing the idea that different people need to keep their culture/histories separate and not unify. The more people celebrate each other the better. And Beyonce looks beautiful there.

Lol, well done
The difference being that appropriation is exploitative in that it's a minority group's cultural identify being stolen to the benefit of the dominant group. That minority group is never credited or recognized for it.

The difference being that appropriation is exploitative in that it's a minority group's cultural identify being stolen to the benefit of the dominant group. That minority group is never credited or recognized for it.
I DON'T SEE COLOR!!!!

WHITE BLACK YELLOW MAGENTA IDC!!!

we're all one race, the human race :") #promoteonlinekindness

Yeah, it depends on the context and intention. Lifting elements from minority or oppressed cultures in order to deride or profit in some way is not what I'm defending. Encouraging a shared culture where our cultural/ethnic differences can be molded together, or referenced in a celebratory way? That's a wonderful thing I think. Obviously that kind of harmony can't fully exist unless all groups are represented and empowered, but smacking anything down as harmful regardless of that context isn't doing any of us any good. Our end goal is unity, no?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm actually quite surprised at how well Pillow Talk is performing on itunes
He's been talking so much shit about being in 1D I thought he would have burnt a lot of bridges

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Eek! Madonna is a disaster lately:

- Showing up drunk on stage
- Addressing the crowd in a hillbilly accent
- Rocco running home to Guy Shitchie and far away from the tour over the holidays with a possible custody battle coming up
- Getting back together with human trashcan Sean Penn and stating the abuse "never happened"
- Leaving the crowd waiting 2 and a half hours for her show including Country legend Reba Mcentire who was in the audience to see her (she was NOT pleased according to Twitter).

Did I miss anything? The Rebel Heart era has been nothing short of a certified MESS. What will Madge do next?

g1JHZ8F.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Eek! Madonna is a disaster lately:

- Showing up drunk on stage
- Addressing the crowd in a hillbilly accent
- Rocco running home to Guy Shitchie and far away from the tour over the holidays with a possible custody battle coming up
- Getting back together with human trashcan Sean Penn and stating the abuse "never happened"
- Leaving the crowd waiting 2 and a half hours for her show including Country legend Reba Mcentire who was in the audience to see her (she was NOT pleased according to Twitter).

Did I miss anything? The Rebel Heart era has been nothing short of a certified MESS. What will Madge do next?

g1JHZ8F.gif

I'd be perched for a Britney like meltdown from Madge. She would look really interesting bald.

3phemeral

Yeah, it depends on the context and intention. Lifting elements from minority or oppressed cultures in order to deride or profit in some way is not what I'm defending. Encouraging a shared culture where our cultural/ethnic differences can be molded together, or referenced in a celebratory way? That's a wonderful thing I think. Obviously that kind of harmony can't fully exist unless all groups are represented and empowered, but smacking anything down as harmful regardless of that context isn't doing any of us any good. Our end goal is unity, no?
Unfortunately, we're nowhere near there yet. Not when you have urban acts getting ignored at the Grammys while white artists reap the rewards. Sure, intentions sort of matter but that's really negated by an infrastructure that perpetuates this standard.

Great now the pressed can stop spamming its yellow score.

Metacritic is useless for music ratings right? For gaming I can understand but music? Music is way more subjective than something like gaming... For gaming we can understand what makes a perfect game... But for music it's more subjective to the palette of the listener which is why one shouldn't pay much attention to metacritic for music

Floridian

Metacritic is useless for music ratings right? For gaming I can understand but music? Music is way more subjective than something like gaming... For gaming we can understand what makes a perfect game... But for music it's more subjective to the palette of the listener which is why one shouldn't pay much attention to metacritic for music

It's not 100% useless for album scores. It's just that it collects reviews from biased publications at times depending on who the artist/what the genre is. There's more subjective substance to music than gaming.

Meowster

Metacritic is fine for music, there's obvious biases and it is arguably more subjective compared to other mediums, but I'd say their choices of reviewers are far better than what they use for movies. And television is the worst, considering they only review the first two episodes or so for an entire season.

I'm sure there are people out there who genuinely think ET on the Atari 2600 is good. And we know there are people who consider Twilight to be well written. Everything is subjective in the end. But music certainly has less "objective" criteria for most people than other mediums.

Unfortunately, we're nowhere near there yet. Not when you have urban acts getting ignored at the Grammys while white artists reap the rewards. Sure, intentions sort of matter but that's really negated by an infrastructure that perpetuates this standard.

Totally agreed, thankfully we're seeing a widespread referendum boiling up.

Also, yay @ Rih's metacritic score going up.

Nasser

Stay pressed mad. Just pray Britney is actually musically involved in her next album.

I'm not mad at all. You all know I love Rihanna so much. But I know it's a fucking joke bc she doesn't NEED this. She's a top-seller superstar.

Also you guys always bring the princess of pop whenever i post about anything as a way to "drag" me. It's sad cause you only drag yourselves. Britney achieved everything out there & doesn't need to prove anything anymore &#128522;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom