• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Roy is a closeted Bey stan and now he showed us a bit of leg (and gorgeus booty) with Formation. Next Bey track and he will be fully out in the wild with his bday suit.

botty

Banned
"The more critics you have the more likely your score is to decrease. "

VKa8Fzq.png

In the end I don't, but certain people kept entertaining the MC idea for their amusement in regards of it being panned so just giving them the constant reminders on their mistakes.

What exactly was a mistake in what I said? It is a fact that your MC score is more likely to drop as more reviews flow in. Rihanna's score managed to crawl up a bit... but as Pupi said:

Revival still has 1 point more than Anti.
I prefer Anti tho

My point has always been that Revival is a better album than ANTi. You can agree or disagree but if we're to lay down facts... Revival does still have the higher MC score, Revival does have higher charting singles, Revival does have the higher sales debut, etc. This could all change, and i know you'll quote me if it does, but until then I'll have to go with the GP for now.

Mau ®;194722653 said:
King Botty was doing the most though. The fact he went about to comparing how Selena's Revival was superior was too much even for me.

Hands To Myself is far more exhilarating than anything on ANTI though

🕵

Floridian

What exactly was a mistake in what I said?
Your mistake was making the claim that "as more critics increases, it's more likely to decrease, which isn't always the case. It may be the case for Charlie Puth, but not for everyone. I knew the scores was going to increase even though the early reviewers of the album were pretty biased against her, Hence why most of the earliest scores were her lowest. If you read their reviews (which I didn't expect you to at the time) It's like they didn't take proper time listening to the album. One of your criticisms lined up with theirs saying "there's no hits" yet Work right now is green & moving up spots on the hot 100. I also disagree with that criticism there.

It is a fact that your MC score is more likely to drop as more reviews flow in. Rihanna's score managed to crawl up a bit... but as Pupi said:
Are we really comparing an album with 9 critics vs an album with 26? That 1 point is hardly going to matter as there's still likely reviews being added. ANTI has 18 positive, while revival only has 6 positive. ANTI has a pitchfork BNT included, while Revival doesn't. We'll see in the long run which one will be more Grammy nominated as well.

My point has always been that Revival is a better album than ANTi. You can agree or disagree but if we're to lay down facts... Revival does still have the higher MC score, Revival does have higher charting singles, Revival does have the higher sales debut, etc. This could all change, and i know you'll quote me if it does, but until then I'll have to go with the GP for now.

I have no issues in your opinion thinking it's better, but trying to use Metacritic in favor of making Revival look good & ANTI bad at that time was bogus. And with singles, you're gonna have to wait on that because performances & a music video is still coming.

Nasser

Nasser here's your chance to stand up and be counted sis.

Stop

Edit (now i'm not using my phone)

Um. I'm not white! if you read my name you'd clearly see it's an Arab Middle Eastern name. Also I'm here to talk about and discuss pop music not political and social issues. I seriously do not care about what is happening in America (I can only worry about my own country :p). If you think me disliking Beyonce is because she's black then I'm sorry you're an idiot. My race/ethnicity (even sometimes religion) is the most hated one right now, and gets discriminated against on daily basis around the world, not only America. So stop assuming that the reason that I didn't like Beyonce was because she's black.

oh and yeah I still don't like Beyonce, have a good day
lindsay-lohan-late-elle-kiss.jpg

botty

Banned
Your mistake was making the claim that "as more critics increases, it's more likely to decrease, which isn't always the case. It may be the case for Charlie Puth, but not for everyone. I knew the scores was going to increase even though the early reviewers of the album were pretty biased against her, Hence why most of the earliest scores were her lowest. If you read their reviews (which I didn't expect you to at the time) It's like they didn't take proper time listening to the album. One of your criticisms lined up with theirs saying "there's no hits" yet Work right now is green & moving up spots on the hot 100. I also disagree with that criticism there.

If you follow Metacritic for any medium (movies, games, music), you would know that as more reviews come in scores often decrease. Charlie Puth isn't the exception, Rihanna with Anti is. I did say there were no hits, and they corrected myself by saying KIB was a hit--with the song trending + being suggested for single release hours later by the stans. Work has stabilized and with its radio deal is seeing modest success.

Are we really comparing an album with 9 critics vs an album with 26? That 1 point is hardly going to matter as there's still likely reviews being added. ANTI has 18 positive, while revival only has 6 positive. ANTI has a pitchfork BNT included, while Revival doesn't. We'll see in the long run which one will be more Grammy nominated as well.
By your logic, Revival would increase its score if more reviews were added, though. Regardless, I am just going off of the weighted total without going into measuring which reviewer's opinion means more--granted I don't completely disagree with your mindset here.

I have no issues in your opinion thinking it's better, but trying to use Metacritic in favor of making Revival look good & ANTI bad at that time was bogus. And with singles, you're gonna have to wait on that because performances & a music video is still coming.
Both of these albums are bad, but Revival is better imo. When we disregard the whole opinion aspect of things, we have to look at the receipts: at the time, Revival and Anti had a similar review count (8 to 9?), with Revival having a higher weighted score. I don't think there could have been a better time to compare them on that scale because if we do it now, we have arguments like the one you gave above. And yes, I am waiting for the results of her singles. Especially the solo singles, since it's been a while since she had a solo hit.

Floridian

I'd put "defending a rapist" at a slightly higher rank than "dumb thing"
Dumb & Insensitive*, since there's been tons of proof out there that provides evidence for Cosby's vile act. It was a wrong way for him to gain attention, but since the media is gaining up on it, I suppose he got what he wanted to accomplish.

If you follow Metacritic for any medium (movies, games, music), you would know that as more reviews come in scores often decrease. Charlie Puth isn't the exception, Rihanna with Anti is. I did say there were no hits, and they corrected myself by saying KIB was a hit--with the song trending + being suggested for single release hours later by the stans. Work has stabilized and with its radio deal is seeing modest success.

By your logic, Revival would increase its score if more reviews were added, though. Regardless, I am just going off of the weighted total without going into measuring which reviewer's opinion means more--granted I don't completely disagree with your mindset here.

Both of these albums are bad, but Revival is better imo. When we disregard the whole opinion aspect of things, we have to look at the receipts: at the time, Revival and Anti had a similar review count (8 to 9?), with Revival having a higher weighted score. I don't think there could have been a better time to compare them on that scale because if we do it now, we have arguments like the one you gave above. And yes, I am waiting for the results of her singles. Especially the solo singles, since it's been a while since she had a solo hit.
I don't follow MC much, I only use it for certain situations such as score observations, but I don't use it to make statements about which album is subjectively better (or at least not in a serious manner). Selena isn't as well-established as the majority of the other major pop girls atm, so of course her album will have less attention/reviews. I'm not certain on what it could've been had more would've been added. I personally don't weigh albums with less than 10 reviews as much as albums with 20+. If Kiss It Better is eventually released (it would be dumb for Rih not to) then the solos can be assessed. Though this is her underperforming era, so my expectations are a bit lowered (along with the sales).

Floridian

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that her sales are currently weak and her tour tickets are struggling to sale. I'm hoping these couple of weeks where the spotlight is temporarily on her for the Grammys/Brit Awards have some sort of impact.

Einhander

Rihanna's Consideration is sorta like the Brandy & Monica song, The Boy is Mine. It has a similar vibe. Too bad SZA didn't sing more.

Sorry PopGAF. Rihanna >>>> Beyonce

The Flop

Banned
I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that her sales are currently weak and her tour tickets are struggling to sale. I'm hoping these couple of weeks where the spotlight is temporarily on her for the Grammys/Brit Awards have some sort of impact.

My Radio station(s) in the ATL are having contests that are literally with them saying "We have so many Rihanna tickets to give out, we don't know what to do with, Text "x" to asdofiuaf for tickets!"

Floridian

Rihanna's Consideration is sorta like the Brandy & Monica song, The Boy is Mine. It has a similar vibe. Too bad SZA didn't sing more.

You're not wrong :)

My Radio station(s) in the ATL are having contests that are literally with them saying "We have so many Rihanna tickets to give out, we don't know what to do with, Text "x" to asdofiuaf for tickets!"
I guess there's a bunch of frih tickets just lying around. I should cop one myself.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

You're not wrong tho.

I prefer anything from Anti over Formation.

The Flop

Banned
Given what I've seen of the FH2 lead single music video photo shoot. Y'all will be repenting your sins, and excepting our new pop Queens in a month or so.

Come through!

Given what I've seen of the FH2 lead single music video photo shoot. Y'all will be repenting your sins, and excepting our new pop Queens in a month or so.

Come through!

ex·cept
ikˈsept/

verbformal
verb: except; 3rd person present: excepts; past tense: excepted; past participle: excepted; gerund or present participle: excepting

specify as not included in a category or group; exclude.

That we will.

Jnqgdh7.gif

rhandino

Banned
Poor Tinashe being sidelined by the hot one of #1D =/ but I cant really blame her label considering how good BoringTalk is doing rn

rhandino

Banned
Did Tinashe really just release a single for Aquarius.
rip_zpsec10ede9.gif
rip_zpsec10ede9.gif
rip_zpsec10ede9.gif
Pretend and All Hands on Dick happened...

I still cant believe they tried to make her happen with All Hands on Dick feat IGGY AZALEA and that struggle vid.

giphy.gif

At least they used the vanilla version for the vid and Tinashe slayed her choreo and looks.

Pretend and All Hands on Dick happened...

I still cant believe they tried to make her happen with All Hands on Dick feat IGGY AZALEA and that struggle vid.

giphy.gif

At least they used the vanilla version for the vid and Tinashe slayed her choreo and looks.

Releasing Pretend was such a misstep. Either Cold Sweat or Feels Like Vegas shoud've been the second single. What a missed opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom