• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

PInk Tape

Banned
Bayo I don't know if you've seen this yet but:

https://twitter.com/fly_sic/status/660314085268025344/video/1

I'm living right now. Jessica, ha spirit lives on.

EkeVZSw.gif

End me

0IJ9Ikx.gif

Meowster

y'all do too much on gaga wth

applause was kinda good

applause got me into pop music actually, i used to listen to rock but didn't actually like it... then i discovered Lana and then the ARTPOP era started and I started exploring pop music and it's now my favorite music genre
I mean, there's no shame in that, I started listening to pop music habitually by lurking around these parts circa the week Applause came out. I found this place from an old Final Fantasy XIII fansite (FinalFantasy-XIII.net I think? It's not around anymore) and something about the Fad made everything click. Still love Applesauce to this day, her second best lead single.

Robido what do you have to say about this??!!
NJbDvDM.gif
Prince was into dick, too? I'm shocked.
Shocked!
George backtracked and corrected himself, saying that he didn’t actually have sex with Prince, and that he just had his poster hanging on his wall.
epresentatives for the show have reportedly tried to silence the “Boy George slept with Prince” chatter with statements pushing that it was all just light-hearted banter, and no legitimate claims were made. A spokesperson for the reality television talent show says the whole thing’s been blown out of proportion and issued the following statement to People magazine.
“He just went, ‘Oh darling, I’ve slept with him.’ He went on to say that he had Prince posters on his wall as a kid. He was never being serious.”
P is wayyyyyyy too homophobic to not have tried the D once or twice, I seriously doubt that Boy George would be the recipient of such affections.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
f(x) on 6 days on Korea sales outsold Fifth Harmony US 1st week sales of their album and obviously 1 more day for f(x) to sell more.

How come f(x) in such smaller market outsold Fifth Harmony on the biggest market?
e18e01dbd0.gif

Floridian

f(x) on 6 days on Korea sales outsold Fifth Harmony US 1st week sales of their album and obviously 1 more day for f(x) to sell more.

How come f(x) in such smaller market outsold Fifth Harmony on the biggest market?
e18e01dbd0.gif

4 walls is better than Reflection so I guess better music reflects better sales in this case?

The Flop

Banned

e18e01dbd0.gif

4 albums in... I'm impressed! Let's see what FH2 does now that they've had a true hit. PercheD for that new single coming probably early next year.

royalan

e18e01dbd0.gif

Because music is culture, and just because you make something that sounds vaguely like western Pop doesn't mean that you're connecting with an audience on a cultural level.

It's why no k-pop act has ever or will ever break the US.

F(x) is doing well in their market; 5th Harmony is doing well in theirs, but culturally their markets are so different that, really, it makes no sense to try and compare their performance.

Vazra

Because music is culture, and just because you make something that sounds vaguely like western Pop doesn't mean that you're connecting with an audience on a cultural level.

F(x) is doing well in their market; 5th Harmony is doing well in theirs, but culturally their markets are so different that, really, it makes no sense to try and compare their performance.

Sure but when some Kpop acts make 150millions between Korea and Japan touring with maybe 2-5 US dates it makes you wonder what magic some are using to pull those numbers.

As for doing well f(x) album is the best selling female album of the year in South Korea and close to break SNSD record if it does well on the last day. That seems to be more than just well.

On another conversation of connecting or disconnecting . What is Christina doing now?

Aguila

#ICONIC

Psy did it tho. He was a one hit wonder, but he did it.

I think that a k-pop group could definitely break out in the US, but they'd have to be well-versed in American culture and they'd have to sing mainly in English to survive. Nobody in the US is making tight, focused music, video, album, and performance packages like k-pop acts (except for maybe solo artists like Katy and Taylor). Groups like 5H and 5 seconds of summer are sloppy af and mainly hews, 1D are going to be history soon probably, so there's a gap for a slay pop group. And even if a k-pop act clings to an established schtick like "girl power" or "hot guys singing" their cultural origin would make them unique/compelling enough to stand apart imo.

Vazra

I think that a k-pop group could definitely break out in the US, but they'd have to be well-versed in American culture and they'd have to sing mainly in English to survive. Nobody in the US is making tight, focused music, video, album, and performance packages like k-pop acts (except for maybe solo artists like Katy and Taylor). Groups like 5H and 5 seconds of summer are sloppy af and mainly hews, 1D are going to be history soon probably, so there's a gap for a slay pop group. And even if a k-pop act clings to an established schtick like "girl power" or "hot guys singing" their cultural origin would make them unique/compelling enough to stand apart imo.

Also something interesting with some Kpop acts is that some of the girls have lived in US and then they returned to Korea or learned English and are able to work with both languages. Some kpop and jpop acts can actually make it on US while keeping the production values but just changing the language to English to break that barrier that keep them away from happening.

What I like the most of Kpop acts is mostly that they are not like most of the western acts recycling the same dire producers and constantly try different stuff that makes it more interesting even if some releases are not entirely well received. Of course we have cases where girls play it safe (Sistar) but overall there is more experimentation there than on the western market.

Also another funny thing is that people trash most kpop acts because they train a lot before their debuts on dancing, acting and singing among other things and bring how manufactured they are when most artists to some degree are manufactured anyway. At least in this thread I havent seen that being discussed as much but there is a lot of people stanning some artist that might as well be as manufactured as the Kpop acts but you dont get to see the training videos on youtube before the debut.

tissy2tb.gif

The Flop

Banned
"Fifth Hew" is on their sold out European tour right now. They have made a mark in the US with their Double Platinum selling single "Worth It". They have sold better then some of your favs this year with that song alone. That was with an "epic" sized budget, that was of a company about to go bankrupt, but Meghan Trainor and Fifth Harmony have saved them.

Fifth Harmony's second album will have a bigger budget, and more known features. They've grown as performers, and if they had dicks, they would be bigger than 5SOS and 1D, having a Vag is a hard sell in the US market.

Let us wait till 5H2 comes out before we judge. Korea can keep their pop stars tbh. But I like Hyunna.

Vazra

"Fifth Hew" is on their sold out European tour right now. They have made a mark in the US with their Double Platinum selling single "Worth It". They have sold better then some of your favs this year with that song alone. That was with an "epic" sized budget, that was of a company about to go bankrupt, but Meghan Trainor and Fifth Harmony have saved them.

Fifth Harmony's second album will have a bigger budget, and more known features. They've grown as performers, and if they had dicks, they would be bigger than 5SOS and 1D, having a Vag is a hard sell in the US market.

Let us wait till 5H2 comes out before we judge. Korea can keep their pop stars tbh. But I like Hyunna.

Worth it has done 4 millions right? SNSD and some other girls have singles with 6 millions or more. Even with the smaller market some of these acts they can push better sales overall. How does that happen?

And I hope 5H gets better budget for their next cause some of the outfits they get scream JCPenney and GAP couture and they certainly need a better choreographer since the one they have now let them shake their asses without any sync its quite sad since they could be doing way better than that.

royalan

Psy hardly counts, though. Gangam Style is the very definition viral meme, not to mention Psy played heavily on the West's borderline racist stereotype of the goofy, chubby Asian guy.

Well, that's the whole point. I also agree that a K-Pop act COULD break the US, but all the whining about "So-and-so K-Pop group is SOOOOO talented! They actually dance and sing! Why isn't the US gobbling up their music!?!?!? ;___: " isn't going to do it. Whichever act finally does it going to have to address the cultural divide between Korea and the West.

And until that divide is crossed, comparisons are silly.

Aguila

#ICONIC

They seem like such a mixed bag to me most of the time. Performance wise especially. But, yes, lettuce wait to see if they improve.

Psy has two hits. 💀

Really? 💀
Was it that Gentleman song? 💀

But that further proves the point that America is [ O ] pen to k-pop

Vazra

f(x) was on iTunes US top 20 for 2 days and still on the top 50 of pop albums which seems pretty good for a no western promo album.

Meowster

This new Bieberconda song. He might be an immature child that will never grow up but Purpose might be one of the greatest pop albums of the year. Poor ANTi.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Adele debuts #1
1.11M sales
61.6M streams for the week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom