• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to Florida, and thankfully only once. So I have no desire to imagine your scaly sun-parched raisins, let alone debase myself by asking for them.

I can only hope you overcome this "repression ;)" that has so clearly turned you into a self-loathing husk of shame.
SMHhoKX.gif

Mau ®

Uh. This community's obsession with turning straight people into homosexuals. 👀

Not all of us enjoy phallic objects
as regularly as you

The Flop

Banned
Straight Lives Matter.

Poor Shawn Mendes releasing the same day as SlAydele. Just like Tomb Raider tomorrow it's going to get overshadowed by a bigger release, my xbox one is ready though.

Dany

Banned
Mau ®;184776512 said:

as regularly as you

lies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
tumblr_nxj6fvAZGx1qbhhnbo4_1280.jpg

Princess Cheeto serving with some mighty fine arm candy

Nasser

Mau ®;184776512 said:

as regularly as you

I know the struggle. I'm straight and it's hard for me every day!

giphy.gif

The Flop

Banned
Shawn Mendes hit number one on top 40 radio in the US this week. What kind of vodoo magic to get a number one this year when Rih has none? #PrayforaNTI.

giphy.gif

Almost feels like it's harder for big established acts to get a #1 than new up-and-comers because the public gives the hews a chance and are already premeditated to support or ignore pop stars they've heard of.

Even I'm more likely to listen to some unknown artist on the iTunes charts than the new Maroon 5 single, for example..

Yado

Almost feels like it's harder for big established acts to get a #1 than new up-and-comers because the public gives the hews a chance and are already premeditated to support or ignore pop stars they've heard of.

Even I'm more likely to listen to some unknown artist on the iTunes charts than the new Maroon 5 single, for example..

Well you already know Maroon 5 is vile, so

Partition

Banned

Uh, I wish this is true. Your current #1 is breaking records based on name alone..

If you think the public is more accepting if "indie hews" it's really just because they are making better music.

Floridian

BB TOP 10;

1. Hello
2. Hotline Bling
3. The Hills
4. Sorry
5. What Do You Mean?
6. Stitches
7. Focus
8. Wildest Dreams
9. 679
10. Like I'm Gonna Lose You

Ari reaches her first top ten solo hit, and Adele still selling over 600k the 2nd week. Jesus

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
surprised she managed to scrape a top 10 debut
wonder how low she'll drop next week. shes teetering on the edge of the top 30 as is

Wait,
She never had a top ten single on her own?

nah iggy was on problem, zedd was on break free, love me harder had the weeknd, the way had mac miller, bang bang was jessie and nicki

Matt_

It pains me that Meghan Trainor is the biggest (no shade intended) new pop artist since Kesha and Gaga
when I was crying out for a big new girl on the scene she is neither what I expected or wanted

Partition

Banned
It pains me that Meghan Trainor is the biggest (no shade intended) new pop artist since Kesha and Gaga
when I was crying out for a big new girl on the scene she is neither what I expected or wanted

I'm pretty sure Ariana is bigger. Lorde and Charli are up there too.

And Hotline Bling is a legit great song.

Post-Gaga debuts:

Nicki Minaj
Bruno Mars
Drake
Justin Bieber
One Direction
Ariana Grande
Janelle Monae
Lorde
Lana Del Rey
Sam Smith
Iggy Azalea
Macklemore
Kendrick Lamar

I'd say all these folks are bigger than Meghan, barring maybe Janelle. :(

Floridian

Post-Gaga debuts:

Nicki Minaj
Bruno Mars
Drake
Justin Bieber
One Direction
Ariana Grande
Janelle Monae
Lorde
Lana Del Rey
Sam Smith
Iggy Azalea
Macklemore
Kendrick Lamar

What? Ya'll underestimating Mehgan. She had a huge #1 hit for starters (with 1b+ views on vevo). Multiple top ten hits, currently the female with the highest album debut sales this year (she will be #2 due to Adele though), her album is almost 2m WW in sales. She writes her own songs too & is decent live. I don't really like her music but she's pretty much one the sleeper-hit girls of this decade. For now people like to say she's a "one-album wonder" but time will tell.

cory64

Yes I believe Hotline Bling will become a legendary song in a decade or two.

edt: Ariona is the only relevant girl since Kesha

Matt_

Post-Gaga debuts:

Nicki Minaj
Bruno Mars
Drake
Justin Bieber
One Direction
Ariana Grande
Janelle Monae
Lorde
Lana Del Rey
Sam Smith
Iggy Azalea
Macklemore
Kendrick Lamar

I was mainly referring to the fact that she's the first female artist to have three top ten hits from her debut since gaga and kesha both got four
I want someone to arrive in a blaze of pop glory like gaga and kesha did. The only traditional pop girl on that list is ariana and I hadn't even heard of her until her second alber

I will say Lorde came close with her debut stuff, but I never gave her the chance because she shaded Lana. Speaking of obviously Lana did amazingly well as a slow burner with BTD and I adore her but its not the same as that pop perfection

your list did surprise me at just how many people have debuted after gaga though, feels like most of them have been around for ages
edit; its been 7 years since gaga arrived :giantbiblio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom