• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
iTunes takes a lot of money as well (30%? I think) but it's better than the penny change people get from Spotify streams.

iTunes is still actually BUYING albums, too. You just need to take a look at album sales over the past two years to see what Spotify and other streaming services have done.

This is true.
But iTunes still has an option to buy albums in peices instead of the whole package.
If Beyonce didn't make every track album only I wonder how much she really would have sold.

This is true.
But iTunes still has an option to buy albums in peices instead of the whole package.
If Beyonce didn't make every track album only I wonder how much she really would have sold.
That's true. I know I've been put off buying songs sometimes when I only really want half the songs but they're album only.
Mess

Latch

get this, get this
I get this, I get this

well come on with this bOP then, Dawn

ibzm5F88lMf6i4.gif

Ugh. That is way too much... but I want the album. I'm just gonna have to work my butt off today at my job so that I can afford it.

So, it was like around 30 something dollars altogether right? Cause the CD itself is like €18 ($22 I believe), so yeah, wow.

Yeaaah. :/
I've spent like $60+ at their shop already (the physical edition and digital/island edition).

Apparently the physical edition is limited, so when they sell out they sell out for good. I honestly don't believe that but whatever.

The island edition is a better deal imo, it comes with additional music and extras. And there's no exorbitant shipping fee. 💀

That's true. I know I've been put off buying songs sometimes when I only really want half the songs but they're album only.
Mess

I am with you there, I have been put off at times as well due to album only.
The thing is while iTunes is better than Spotify in terms of sales they still take a good cut and on top of that it runs like a fast food business but with music.

Log in buy a single song and log out and it's too late to change things now because apple in general has become bigger than ever. No one will ditch iTunes and honestly I wouldn't either.

I am with you there, I have been put off at times as well due to album only.
The thing is while iTunes is better than Spotify in terms of sales they still take a good cut and on top of that it runs like a fast food business but with music.

Log in buy a single song and log out and it's too late to change things now because apple in general has become bigger than ever. No one will ditch iTunes and honestly I wouldn't either.
I agree tbh. I think the solution would be maybe making singles ACTUAL singles on iTunes (unlike currently, where for most people every single album track is available for purchase, and when new singles are released, people just buy that album track).

Who knows tho. I just worry about the future industry because aside from people like Taylor Swift and Adele, very few industry players can sell albums anymore.

Spotify is a huge problem for industry revenue and it's not even that popular yet in the grand scheme of things.
Yep. Someone would have to listen to a song on Spotify 116 times for the artist to get as much revenue as they would from someone buying the song on iTunes.

I agree tbh. I think the solution would be maybe making singles ACTUAL singles on iTunes (unlike currently, where for most people every single album track is available for purchase, and when new singles are released, people just buy that album track).

Who knows tho. I just worry about the future industry because aside from people like Taylor Swift and Adele, very few industry players can sell albums anymore.

i read that no one in 2014 went platinum I need an actual source for that but things are dire if that is true. Albums don't really sell like they used to.

On another forum I proposed the idea of selling albums like the kpop industry.
They package albums with photobooks,DVDs and other stuff. They even come in special packaging.

But knowing our industry they would inflate those prices so high.
Taylor had the right idea of adding a different set photos in each copy of her album.

Yep. Someone would have to listen to a song on Spotify 116 times for the artist to get as much revenue as they would from someone buying the song on iTunes.

Holy shit for real? I didn't know this. Yeah, that is not gonna work.

i read that no one in 2014 went platinum I need an actual source for that but things are dire if that is true. Albums don't really sell like they used to.

On another forum I proposed the idea of selling albums like the kpop industry.
They package albums with photobooks,DVDs and other stuff. They even come in special packaging.

But knowing our industry they would inflate those prices so high.
Taylor had the right idea of adding a different set photos in each copy of her album.
Yeah, they do that in Japan too (because media is more expensive they have to package in extra things to make it seem more valuable - like with ARTPOP it came out a few days before the rest of the world + came with a performance DVD). That would be a good idea imo.

And yeah I read that too :( I don't doubt it's true tbh. I think Taylor will and if Adele decides to release this year she might, but for most, I don't think it'll happen again for a while.
Holy shit for real? I didn't know this. Yeah, that is not gonna work.
Spotify said that the average payment to rights-holders for a single play of a track is between $0.006 and $0.0084.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...g-0006-per-play-royalties-figure-8980274.html
So if we take an average-average $0.0072, then divide the amount that comes from iTunes after they take their fee (on a $1.29 single, post-iTunes it would be $0.90):

0.90/0.0072=125

We get 125 - so it would take 125 plays for equivalent revenue.

Vazduh

Someone should tell this to the army of Brazilian last.fm gheis who scrobble at least 10000 times per artist, then. If they switch to Spotify, they just might save the music industry
i4cvBQL.gif

But seriously, that's horrible. No wonder so many artists hate Spotify.

Some of her delusional fans are calling that better than anything off of DK3 LOL.
The song is alright but nothing special. Dirty Money is dead, anything Diddy touches turns to shit.

Dawn said how he would try to take the spotlight. The other chick has issues with Dawn.

Eh, that sucks because he really was onto something with that project.

Sledgehammer is trash.

When is Filth Hewmany gonna stop tryin' it?

CeQLgrl.gif
CeQLgrl.gif

Let the genericness in, sis. Give me some more bops, Filth Harmony!
pSlGFJ5.gif

Someone should tell this to the army of Brazilian last.fm gheis who scrobble at least 10000 times per artist, then. If they switch to Spotify, they just might save the music industry
i4cvBQL.gif

But seriously, that's horrible. No wonder so many artists hate Spotify.
I don't get last.fm but someone should get on that
#BrazilPlsComeToSpotify

Mau ®

no.
the album is not as good as britneys
the era will not be as timeless as britneys
and most certainly taylor is not as good of an entertainer as britney is.
The record must stand.

Sis, Oops is a shit album outside of the singles. Don't let nostalgia get the best of you. 1989 is superior in every way.

Vazduh

Mau ®;136454401 said:
Sis, Oops is a shit album outside of the singles. Don't let nostalgia get the best of you. 1989 is superior in every way.

This truth. She was nearly untouchable when she released that album and the singles are still iconic to this day, but everything else is just... no. Especially Satisfaction, which remains one of the worst covers ever made.

The worst one would be Hilary Duff's My Generation, of course.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mau ®;136454401 said:

I think I'll have to agrih with Mau. In The Zone and Blackout are hot tho.
lE3R471.gif

Mau ®

Oops is the definition of an album where the singles totally saved an otherwise shit album.
Even for its time it was shit outside the singles.

Yes, I rihmember skipping most of the tracks and going straight to the singles.

Britney's albums got good musically until "In The Zone". Before that, her singles were the only good songs.

Mau ®;136460002 said:
Yes, I rihmember skipping most of the tracks and going straight to the singles.

Britney's albums got good musically until "In The Zone". Before that, her singles were the only good songs.

Yes, she got better later on.
Thank god for that because I had no intentions of buying a cd from her if it followed the same path as Oops.

Vazduh

Well it could be worse and be Britney Jean.

Yeah, that was truly an unfortunate album, a true atrocity which happened only because Britney's team wanted something to promote Vegas. The word is that a lot of producers pulled their tracks simply because the album wasn't to be promoted. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true, tbh.

Mau ®

Taylor Swift is not for me!

Simple as that. No hate. Just not for me. Enjoy whatever you all see in her.

Hello!

We accept all kinds of taste in music!

Who are your faves?

I don't remember you posting here. Maybe you have already lol. Apologies if that's the case!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mau ®;136471726 said:
Hello!

Who are your faves?

I don't remember you posting here. Maybe you have already lol. Apologies if that's the case!
He has posted before but I don't remember him listing his favorite pop acts.

Mau ®;136471726 said:
Hello!

Who are your faves?

I have a eclectic music selection, so I'll point out some of the artists Pop-GAF mention frequently that I like.

Mariah Carey - All
Lady Gaga - 'Fame', 'Fame Monster', 'Artpop'
Katy Perry - 'Teenage Dream'
BANKS - 'Goddess' (Album of the Year 2014)
Britney - post 'Blackout'
Danity Kane - All
La Roux - 'Trouble in Paradise'
Natalia Kills - 'Trouble'
Ciara - All
Ke$ha - All
Rihanna - Most
Robyn - 'Robyn Is Here', 'Body Talk'
Jessie Ware - All

Mau ®

TAYLOR SWIFT - Style: 2.501 (+ 2.501)

It's coming!!!

I have a eclectic music selection, so I'll point out some of the artists Pop-GAF mention frequently that I like.

Mariah Carey - All
Danity Kane - All
Ciara - All
Ke$ha - All
Rihanna - Most

Awesome!

You better stan Rih!

Mau ®;136481914 said:
TAYLOR SWIFT - Style: 2.501 (+ 2.501)

It's coming!!!

Awesome!

You better stan Rih!

I actually like Taylor Swift - 'I knew your were trouble' and on her latest release 'Bad Blood'. 'Shake it off' was good too.

I'll try again her again sometime.

Zutroy

David Guetta's tracklist for his new album - some of the collabs could be interested.

1. Dangerous (feat. Sam Martin)
2. What I Did For Love (feat. Emeli Sandé)
3. No Money No Love (feat. Elliphant & Ms. Dynamite)
4. Lovers on the Sun (feat. Sam Martin)
5. Goodbye Friend (feat. The Script)
6. Lift Me Up (feat. Nico & Vinz, Ladysmith Black Mambazo)
7. Listen (feat. John Legend)
8. Bang My Head (feat. Sia)
9. Yesterday (feat. Bebe Rexha)
10. Hey Mama (feat. Nicki Minaj & Afrojack)
11. Sun Goes Down (feat. MAGIC! & Sonny Wilson)
12. S.T.O.P (feat. Ryan Tedder)
13. I’ll Keep Loving You (feat. Jaymes Young & Birdy)
14. The Whisperer (feat. Sia)
Deluxe Edition:
15. Bad (feat. Vassy)
16. Rise (feat. Skylar Grey)
17. Shot Me Down (feat. Skylar Grey)

Vazduh

The Ryan Tedder collab is accurately named.

Hahahahah :D YES.

Mariah Carey - All
Danity Kane - All
Ciara - All
Ke$ha - All
Rihanna - Most
Jessie Ware - All

A big YES to a lot of the albums mentioned, but I'm genuinely surprised to see Godbyn's debut on your list. Stan for Max Martin's first bops!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom