• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

Jessie J again.

Seriously.

London, could you not have chosen a DIFFERENT ARTIST to have keep POPPING UP like some RESILIENT PIMPLE.

UGHGHGHEGudqsnjvcdfcedws

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Agreed.

Oh, and can I just add:

I like Janelle as much as the next 50 people who knows who she is, but If homegirl does another album that's Funk one minute, Space Opera the next minute, Acoustic the minute after that, and Neo Soul the minute after everyone stops caring then she's DOA.

I like Janelle but at this point she's the DEFINITION of an artist who needs to fucking EVOLVE already.

And not just her music - I'm sick of that damn tux, I'm sick of those damn shoes, I'm sick of that damn afro pompadour, and I'm sick of that damn shuffle-step.

None of it's working sweetie. TIME TO SWITCH IT UP.

iWxA8wxnCHZHi.gif

You 'like' Janelle Monae but think that she should change a) her music b) her style.

What exactly is it that you like about her? The fact that she makes your faves look like preschoolers playing dress-up? That's what I like about her.

Trigger

Agreed.

Oh, and can I just add:

I like Janelle as much as the next 50 people who knows who she is, but If homegirl does another album that's Funk one minute, Space Opera the next minute, Acoustic the minute after that, and Neo Soul the minute after everyone stops caring then she's DOA.

I like Janelle but at this point she's the DEFINITION of an artist who needs to fucking EVOLVE already.

And not just her music - I'm sick of that damn tux, I'm sick of those damn shoes, I'm sick of that damn afro pompadour, and I'm sick of that damn shuffle-step.

Spill that tea.

All of the women of POP-GAF's top list got to where they are through experimentation. If Janelle can't chart she could at least challenge herself. There's a fine line between "style" and "schtick", and that line is usually defined by an artist's ability to reinterpret their sound. Janelle seems incapable of that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'd like to know what y'all are basing this 'tea' about her not changing style on.

Is it her one EP or her one album?

i69xgtxhS6aZE.gif

Majmun

Agreed.

Oh, and can I just add:

What the fuck

Sure, she can change her style, I don't care.

But her music????? I'd say other artists need to evolve and become more like her. She makes other artists look BASIC as hell.

And success has nothing to do with quality. You should know that.

royalan

iWxA8wxnCHZHi.gif

You 'like' Janelle Monae but think that she should change a) her music b) her style.

What exactly is it that you like about her? The fact that she makes your faves look like preschoolers playing dress-up? That's what I like about her.

I do like Janelle Monae and I'm not suggesting she completely change who she is. But don't try to act like ALL of our faves don't grow, evolve, and experiment with their sound and artistry.

It's time for something Different from Janelle. We've gotten two albums (and some tracks with Outkast that predate her solo stuff) of this same shtick.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I do like Janelle Monae and I'm not suggesting she completely change who she is. But don't try to act like ALL of our faves don't grow, evolve, and experiment with their sound and artistry.

It's time for something Different from Janelle. We've gotten two albums (and some tracks with Outkast that predate her solo stuff) of this same shtick.

By 'two albums' are you referring to whatever her first album that nobody has heard of and The ArchAndroid or what?

She has two: The Audition and the ArchAndroid.

I haven't even listened to The Audition. Is anyone even here for it?

Either way, not here for Janelle shade. Perhaps if any of your faves were 1/10th as good we could have this argument. Until then, vamos.

Majmun

The Audtion is ok. Pretty basic sounding, like most of the current faves.

She evolved a lot in The ArchAndroid. She became divine and outclassed basically everyone.

Nemesis_

POPGAF I have lost my scrubs so you have me for ONE MORE HOUR while I wait for a new pair to wash.

;_;

I'll be in the DJ room ;D

tumblr_m78oii6z4r1qg6rkio1_500.gif

Christopher

Hew won the X-Factor United States and has she had any hits yet? The show really needed to have a breakout hit artist to legitimatize it.

royalan

By 'two albums' are you referring to whatever her first album that nobody has heard of and The ArchAndroid or what?

I haven't even listened to The Audition. Is anyone even here for it?

Either way, not here for Janelle shade. Perhaps if any of your faves were 1/10th as good we could have this argument. Until then, vamos.

Exactly.

And Janelle outclasses nobody at this point. Seriously, I like Janelle's music and I see her POTENTIAL but I don't know how you guys rally around her as something great when she's been in this business for damn near a decade and yet the only time she can get people to notice her is when she's having a seizure on stage to the tune of someone else's music.

She is not there yet. And nor will she EVER be if she doesn't think a little bit BIGGER. Funny thing is at one point she wasn't afraid to do this. Can anybody believe that she looked like this when she first hit the scene:

S8A3q.jpg

But then she hooked up with Andre 3000 and experienced a glorious transformation that's responsible for what little relevance she has today. It worked for her before, so I don't understand why NOW it would be a terrible thing for her to keep experimenting and keep evolving. That's all I want to see.

Majmun

jb1YHzi9hQLch8.jpg

There's nothing wrong with her music!!

Her label just needs to push her more. Really, her music is great. Don't see why it should be changed.

Sure, she could devolve, make music like most of our fave and achieve success. But I'm not her for that.

It's just that the masses are asses. They won't notice quality even if it hits them in their stupid face.

JCX

I post one tidbit of glorious news then I discover that people can actually hate on Janelle? What kind of foolishness?

Agreed.

Oh, and can I just add:

I like Janelle as much as the next 50 people who knows who she is, but If homegirl does another album that's Funk one minute, Space Opera the next minute, Acoustic the minute after that, and Neo Soul .

That's exactly the album I want. Sur, Janelle could let down her hair and sing generic club songs written by highly paid producers through which she has no creative input and is basically an interchangeable mouthpiece for producers, but instead she chose to make ART. None of your faves could even hope to outperform her live. I am not here for a Monae 3.0 sounding like Rihanna or Britney, that would be a waste of her superior TALENT and vision.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It doesn't have to be shade to be nonense. It's factually inaccurate. It's lies and delusions. ArchAndroid outclassed basically everything in 2010. The only things in the same league pop-wise were Body Talk and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

Now you're trying to drag her for 'not changing' even though you already admitted that she improved stratospherically between her first and second albums.

Notice that I say between her first and second albums. She's two albums in her career (more like one and a half albums) and you're already diagnosing this red herring problem about her 'not changing enough'. Even though what she's already doing slays.

id even gi

iWxA8wxnCHZHi.gif

Majmun

It doesn't have to be shade to be nonense. It's factually inaccurate. It's lies and delusions. ArchAndroid outclassed basically everything in 2010. The only things in the same league pop-wise were Body Talk and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

Godly taste tbh.

Bladenic

Okay, really people, you're coming for Janelle for evolution when she's only had two albums? ACTUALLY, only one album. The first was unreleased in 2003 LOL. So yeah ONE damn album.

Seriously, what a completely baseless argument. I was joking with my not actually shade, she's not been very successful so far commercially but she has been successful critically. To say she needs to evolve after one album is just... I cant.

royalan

It's just that the masses are asses. They won't notice quality even if it hits them in their stupid face.

None of your faves could even hope to outperform her live. I am not here for a Monae 3.0 sounding like Rihanna or Britney, that would be a waste of her superior TALENT and vision.

I miss the part where I implied that I wanted Janelle to sound like Rihanna or Britney. Or where I implied that she's not talented. She's HELLA talented.

But for someone who's been doing this for as long as she has, I can't look back at her career and say I've seen a lot of challenging herself and growing who she is as an artist. Janelle COULD be much bigger than she is, and not by collaborating with David Guetta or Pitbull. She has the potential to pioneer a COMPLETELY NEW SOUND. But I think she has to expand beyond that sound she's been cultivating all these years and perfected with The Archandroid. It's time for something new.

Okay, really people, you're coming for Janelle for evolution when she's only had two albums? ACTUALLY, only one album. The first was unreleased in 2003 LOL. So yeah ONE damn album.

Seriously, what a completely baseless argument. I was joking with my not actually shade, she's not been very successful so far commercially but she has been successful critically. To say she needs to evolve after one album is just... I cant.

She has the album, she has the EP (that she sold and promoted), and she has her work with Outkast.

Maybe the amount of time she's been around and how long she's been in this phase is more noticeable to people who have been following her since she was a protege of Andre. She didn't spring onto the scene with Archandroid. She'd been around for years by that point.

Mau ®

Not Myself Tonight was very dated. From the cowbell beats to the synths themselves. It was basically a run-of-the-mill 2007 song released in 2010.

And that video basically sealed the deal.

royalan

Not to mention that the transition from the chorus to the bridge in NMT is so sloppy and jarring that i'm surprised Xtina even agreed to put her vocals on it.

Lawd, Xtina is my queen but I'll be the FIRST to admit that EVERYTHING about NMT was wrong. Terrible song, Terrible video, Terrible promotion. Hated it from first listen and really set the tone for an era that could have gone much differently based on the other material from the album. ;_;

Not to mention that the transition from the chorus to the bridge in NMT is so sloppy and jarring that i'm surprised Xtina even agreed to put her vocals on it.

Lawd, Xtina is my queen but I'll be the FIRST to admit that EVERYTHING about NMT was wrong. Terrible song, Terrible video, Terrible promotion. Hated it from first listen and really set the tone for an era that could have gone much differently based on the other material from the album. ;_;
I wish she'd release an R&B album. Morning Dessert/Sex for Breakfast are stunning, and really let her unique vocal tone shine in the limited range in which it tends to shine.

So much wasted potential.

ipup1MwwfNnVe.gif

New page, new news:

SLAYONA will slay all your faves this fall. And this summer as well with her lead single "Trouble" from Glassheart.

rkRbo.png

#glassheart2012worlddomination #quietbeforethestorm #troubleahead

Naughty Boy (who just unleashed some orgasmic fire with Emeli Sande) produced the track, and Ms. Sande wrote it. Critics have described it as a "stunning trip-hop masterpiece" with a "spectral vocal" and "blooming huge" chart potential, and now there's rumors it will premiere THIS FRIDAY.

SHE'S COMING FOR WIGS. That is all.

Keep it cute and flop-free, gerls.

iP8OsUCoNaJvB.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom