• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

Official acoustic version of "Trouble" has leaked.

Beautiful, vulnerable re-recorded vocals accompanying the haunting, broken piano chords in one stunning take. She almost sounds choked up as she's belting, what kind of internal struggle inspired this song :-(

iITHRH4wHeYtK.gif

OMG this is so much better than the regular version. Bless Leona.

iITHRH4wHeYtK.gif

royalan

Not gonna lie: Mass Effect 2 is thoroughly slaying my punani. Doing a second play-through now before I start 3.

Also, Femshep is best Shep.

Bladenic

You can PM me Marius :D

Also I'm a Male Shep fan. Can't do that whole playing as a female when I can play as male. Also my current ME2 playthrough is my first, so I been getting slayed over and over. Love it. Can't wait to play 3.

But in music news, I got Spotify Premium. Listened to Shakira's incredible Donde Estan Los Ladrones. Your faves COULD never. aiofhdfiofnadiofjajf SO good.

Also listened to She Wolf. Don't get the hate. Album is great. Godkira is incomparable.

ibiz1aKuoUYdgM.gif

Shakira is beyond reproach tbh. She's a genuine humanitarian and has done more good for this planet (musically or otherwise) than SEVERAL of this thread's faves combined.

Also she has a sweet ass.

0033.gif
0033.gif
0033.gif
0033.gif

Videos like these make me realize that I absolutely love Christina's voice when she's singing silently. When she raises her voice however, it gets a little hard on the ears (despite the fact that sings very good).

F.e.: the first and last half minutes of the video are my favorite parts. And the part from 2:15 to 2:40.

Mumei

Videos like these make me realize that I absolutely love Christina's voice when she's singing silently. When she raises her voice however, it gets a little hard on the ears (despite the fact that sings very good).

F.e.: the first and last half minutes of the video are my favorite parts. And the part from 2:15 to 2:40.

Indeed. She sounds best when she's in that area.

Majmun

That's why I think Xtina should release a record full of soul tracks and get a more serious image.
Don't get me wrong, I like her upbeat songs. Love Your body is great, but she needs to put that voice to better use IMO.

Indeed. She sounds best when she's in that area.

Yep. Your second video (loving me 4 me) is a perfect example. She sounds great there.

It's something I don't have with other great singers, like Beyonce for example, or Lady Gaga, or Leona Lewis for that matter. When they go into the loud and high notes, they still sound great to me. Their voices remain warm and full, Beyonce's especially. Christina's otoh gets shrill -even if she's still technically perfect I'm sure-. Bit of a shame.

That's why I think Xtina should release a record full of soul tracks and get a more serious image.
Don't get me wrong, I like her upbeat songs. Love Your body is great, but she needs to put that voice to better use IMO.
Fully understandable. But the problem for me is, that I'm not that big a fan of soul music. I like pop music. So Christina sounds better when she sings soulful, but I like her music better when it's more straight-up pop.

Fuck Your Body also suffers a bit from the "loudness" of her voice. However, I do like how her voice cracks a little during the chorus.

Majmun

I love the "I think you already know my name" part that she sings at the end of the track. I think it's at around the 3:14 mark.

So poweful.

I usually hate it when she belts. The Etta James funeral performance was a disaster IMO

Even though I love when Christina gets into her scream range, the moments when she winds down her voice and all you hear is this glottal force sound like she's gagging on frito pie or something. It's something Shakira does too... she forces out this billy goat glottal vocal that sounds hideous. Christina has an amazing voice but she never tends to stick to one technique for long. I'd say she's definitely amateurish compared to someone like Beyonce, who's technically sound (no pun intended) at any range or power, even though her tone isn't as nuanced and authentic as Christina's. Adele and Christina fall under the same umbrella of having an incredible vocal tone and delivery, but a flimsy grasp on the technical side of things.

Lady Gaga's a great vocalist as long as she stays within the VERY narrow range that her voice sits comfortably in. Because her registers tend to hang on the low side, whenever she lifts her voice to higher registers it can sound forced and whiny. Listen to any Edge of Glory performance of hers and you can tell when her voice gets strained. The chorus' melody doesn't even elevate that high up but her voice still has trouble nailing it comfortably. I do think that if she practiced adapting her voice more to ballads than the more monotonous nature of pop then she'll get much better, but at least her voice is very much tailored to pop. That's something I'm sure she would love to hear, lol.

royalan

Yep. Your second video (loving me 4 me) is a perfect example. She sounds great there.

It's something I don't have with other great singers, like Beyonce for example, or Lady Gaga, or Leona Lewis for that matter. When they go into the loud and high notes, they still sound great to me. Their voices remain warm and full, Beyonce's especially. Christina's otoh gets shrill -even if she's still technically perfect I'm sure-. Bit of a shame.

Fully understandable. But the problem for me is, that I'm not that big a fan of soul music. I like pop music. So Christina sounds better when she sings soulful, but I like her music better when it's more straight-up pop.

Fuck Your Body also suffers a bit from the "loudness" of her voice. However, I do like how her voice cracks a little during the chorus.

It's funny because I feel the exact opposite about the singers mentioned. I hear Leona's improved, but her tone gets especially shrill up top. Beyonce doesn't go shrillm, but her resonance takes a nosedive.

Christina does get a bit throaty up top, but I love when she belts because up until about C5 her power and volume is unrivaled. That's why her voice worked so well during the BTB era. The big horns of songs like Slow Down Baby and Makes Me Wanna Pray complimented her loudness because she could easily project over them.

Oh my, lots of people in here who actually know a thing or two about singing. :)

I'm not sure if my problem with Christina is her lack of technique. I think it's more the nature of her voice. I could be wrong though. Perhaps if she used a different technique, her higher and louder notes wouldn't sound so shrill. But I doubt it. *shrug*

And while we're on the subject of techniques. I actually quite like a strained voice that cracks every once in a while. I assume a vocal teacher would see it as a sign of bad technique, but the end result often sounds nice to my ears. Like Christina in the the Fuck Your Body chorus. Or this live version of Edge of Glory. Gaga sounds like she's having trouble reaching those high notes in the chorus, but I like the effect that it has on her voice.*

* Perhaps voices "cracking" and sounding a little sore has nothing to do with technique, and I'm talking out of my ass. :)

royalan

Christina has an amazing voice but she never tends to stick to one technique for long. I'd say she's definitely amateurish compared to someone like Beyonce, who's technically sound (no pun intended) at any range or power, even though her tone isn't as nuanced and authentic as Christina's.

That has to he the fairest critical observation of Christina's vocals that I've ever read.

Majmun

Didn't Xtina sing Beyonce's Single Ladies on the Voice once?

I thought it sounded very Xtina-ish. Belting over nothing.

Beyonce definitely has a more versatile voice imo. Bey's superb resonance, tone, fluidity, and as mentioned versatility allow her to sing any genre she chooses.
Her control is unmatched too. The girl can sing perfectly while doing acrobatics basically.

Beyonce definitely has a more versatile voice imo. Bey's superb resonance, tone, fluidity, and as mentioned versatility allow her to sing any genre she chooses. Her control is unmatched.
Yep, even just her ad-lib runs are laser-like in their precision. One of my favorite parts of her live performances is her improvisational singing.

It's pretty nightmarish whenever Xtincta tries it.

8f70c6ea.gif

botty

Banned

Beyonce definitely has a more versatile voice imo. Bey's superb resonance, tone, fluidity, and as mentioned versatility allow her to sing any genre she chooses.
Her control is unmatched too. The girl can sing perfectly while doing acrobatics basically.

She was teaching someone else how to sing the song. Her version was way better.

Mumei

Christina's voice has problems in the upper belt because of her problematic technique up there; it is not an inherent quality of her voice. If you listen to Christina and Beyonce sing just acapella, Christina has a naturally fuller, richer sound through the midbelt. She really should not lose that when she goes into the upper belt, and she does because of technical problems.

It's funny because I feel the exact opposite about the singers mentioned. I hear Leona's improved, but her tone gets especially shrill up top. Beyonce doesn't go shrillm, but her resonance takes a nosedive.

Eh. I think Leona has gotten better and sounds more full now, but you are right that her tone still goes shrill. I think that is more a quality of the relative thinness of her voice than a technical problem at this point, though. Earlier in her career it was more a combination of both.

And you still underestimate Beyonce's upper belt. I know your theory that she has lost it, but you cannot listen to her upper belts from ~2003 - 2008 in particular and act like they are lacking in resonance (except compared to the Whitney / Mariah / Aretha / Patti / Teena tier, and I think that is more a product of her just not having the same natural vocal gifts than serious technical issues). She has shouted some, especially more recently, but she has lots of great upper belts that are properly placed, resonant, and well-supported.

I see you shading Gaga by not evening giving her a mention

Christina does get a bit throaty up top, but I love when she belts because up until about C5 her power and volume is unrivaled. That's why her voice worked so well during the BTB era. The big horns of songs like Slow Down Baby and Makes Me Wanna Pray complimented her loudness because she could easily project over them.

This, however, is true.

She was teaching someone else how to sing the song. Her version was way better.

She strained on a B4. She was barely keeping up. I mean, I get that she's not in her prime but let's not talk crazy.

WTF, I thought royalan was black

He's... not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom