• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher

Haven't been posting in this thread for awhile since lack of a hard desktop to get to, however I'm back :cool:.

This thread seems to have died a bit what's going on :(.

Apparently Carly Rae Jepsen's new single is produced by no other than hit maker Max Martin. Are we still calling her a one hit wonder?

You will be slayed ...and you will deal.

botty

Banned
WOW, maybe it's old news but Amazon is giving away a ton of FREE music right now!

Perusing the store to wisely spend my $5, and I've already downloaded some free tracks from Elle Varner, Kendra Morris, and Grimes.

Check it out if you haven't already gerls.

Where are the free songs?

edit: found them~

Mau ®

Haven't been posting in this thread for awhile since lack of a hard desktop to get to, however I'm back :cool:.

Apparently Carly Rae Jepsen's new single is produced by no other than hit maker Max Martin. Are we still calling her a one hit wonder?

Tonight Im Getting Over You is an obvious smash. Im ready for the slayage!!!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i c

tumblr_lpkpiuveb61qewmu6o1_500.gif

ibhduUXbquYuGw.gif

Trigger

I used the free $5 to get the rest of Devotion and Push & Shove. I'm really warming up to Still Love me.

Only the doubters. Sensible people know her slayage is coming.

H6H8B.gif

Welcome back.

Mau ®

I like how MTV is already spilling the tea on who will win

Video of the Year
» Drake feat. Rihanna, "Take Care"
» Gotye, "Somebody That I Used to Know"
» Katy Perry, "Wide Awake"
» M.I.A., "Bad Girls"
» Rihanna, "We Found Love"
My pick: Let's throw M.I.A. out right away ... cool video, but she's got no shot in this loaded category. The next to go is probably "Take Care," which despite featuring two of the biggest stars on the planet, is probably too arty to win VOTY (voters hate bison). Which leaves just three possible choices, each with a decent shot. Given that fans vote for the winners, I don't think Gotye's got the firepower to pull this one out, and Katy won last year (no one has ever taken home back-to-back VOTY awards) so ... let's give this one to Rihanna's "We Found Love," with a big assist from the Navy, of course.

tumblr_lqoxkjirQq1qewmu6o1_r1_500.gif

Artemisia

Banned
If MTV had any sense of dignity they would rig the vote and make Bad Girls win because it's just that much better than the other videos listed.

We already know Rihanna has the most fans out of all of the nominees. I don't get the point of a fan vote.

botty

Banned
We Found Love's video is culturally relevant, artistic, and has a better song attached it. There is a story being told in the video that relates, not only to many people, but also Rihanna herself. But if MIA riding on top of a tilted car is your cup of tea... more power to you.
b80efe23.gif

We've seen We Found Love though, it came out 12 years, was stretched into 100 mins, had Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, and Marlon Wayans, but hey if you are into poor imitations that suck, more power to you.

Artemisia

Banned
We Found Love is a good video, just nothing new.

Bad Girls was visually stunning, wowed you, and tackled a controversial issue in some areas of the world (women driving).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
We Found Love's video is culturally relevant,
You don't think a video that focusses on issues of womens rights in the Middle East after the Arab Spring is culturally relevant?
b80efe23.gif

artistic,

You don't think Roman Gevrais' pitch-perfect skewering of hip hop music videos and flawless camerawork is artistic?
b80efe23.gif

and has a better song attached it.

Where Have You Been is a better song than WFL, let's not even start on Bad Girls.
b80efe23.gif

There is a story being told in the video that relates, not only to many people, but also Rihanna herself.

Womens rights obvious relates to nobody.
b80efe23.gif

Bad Girls is a better video culturally and artistically, and the song is better too.

But I guess if you like to see Rihanna making self-absorbed videos about that time she got beaten up...more power to you.
b80efe23.gif

botty

Banned
We've seen We Found Love though, it came out 12 years, was stretched into 100 mins, had Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, and Marlon Wayans, but hey if you are into poor imitations that suck, more power to you.

We Found Love is more akin to the UK teen drama "Skins," which deals with recreational drug use, possessive behavior, young love, and partying... all of which can be found in We Found Love. It isn't a coincidence that these things are reflective of Rihanna's past relationship with Chris Brown.

You could compare it to the movie you're referring to... but I don't remember seeing any shock therapy, or bizarre dildo scenes.

DMeisterJ

Banned
We Found Love's video is culturally relevant, artistic, and has a better song attached it. There is a story being told in the video that relates, not only to many people, but also Rihanna herself. But if MIA riding on top of a tilted car is your cup of tea... more power to you.
b80efe23.gif

Botty is killing it with the shade rn
b80efe23.gif

If MTV had any sense of dignity they would rig the vote and make Bad Girls win because it's just that much better than the other videos listed.

We already know Rihanna has the most fans out of all of the nominees. I don't get the point of a fan vote.

We Found Love is a good video, just nothing new.

Bad Girls was visually stunning, wowed you, and tackled a controversial issue in some areas of the world (women driving).

FNl9g.jpg

Artemisia

Banned
You don't think a video that focusses on issues of womens rights in the Middle East after the Arab Spring is culturally relevant?
b80efe23.gif

You don't think Roman Gevrais' pitch-perfect skewering of hip hop music videos and flawless camerawork is artistic?
b80efe23.gif

Where Have You Been is a better song than WFL, let's not even start on Bad Girls.
b80efe23.gif

b80efe23.gif

Bad Girls is a better video culturally and artistically, and the song is better too.

But I guess if you like to see Rihanna making videos about that time she got beaten up...more power to you.
b80efe23.gif

eviscerated.

We Found Love is more akin to the UK teen drama "Skins," which deals with recreational drug use, possessive behavior, young love, and partying... all of which can be found in We Found Love. It isn't a coincidence that these things are reflective of Rihanna's past relationship with Chris Brown.

You could compare it to the movie you're referring to... but I don't remember seeing any shock therapy, or bizarre dildo scenes.

Can't fit 100 mins into 4 mins. Either way MIA has best video by far. The stuff you are talking about has been done already a million times, so it's funny you acting like it's some original art. MIA is more fresh and handles more of a common issue that is rarely talked about. Sorry Rihanna maybe your next video will be able to lay eyes upon the goddess MIA.

botty

Banned
You don't think a video that focusses on issues of womens rights in the Middle East is culturally relevant?

But I guess if you like to see Rihanna making videos about that time she got beaten up...more power to you.

And yet, We found Love still manages to do everything noted here better.
b80efe23.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly though, WFL's video is just a competent retread of Bounce's.

edit: Academy Award nominee MIA is 'a flop' now?

When will Rihanna be nominated for an Oscar? Perhaps for her work in Battleship?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
When will MIA stop being MIA with regards to Billboard?
b80efe23.gif

She is the only artist in history to be nominated for an Academy Award, Grammy Award, Brit Award, Mercury Prize and Alternative Turner Prize, and the first artist of Asian descent to be nominated for an Academy and Grammy Award in the same year. In both 2005 and 2008, M.I.A. was artist of the year by Spin and URB and M.I.A. is named as one of the defining artists of the 2000s decade by Rolling Stone in its "Best of the Decade" list in December 2009. Esquire magazine ranked M.I.A. on its list of the 75 most influential people of the 21st century in January 2010 and also in January 2010 Time magazine named her one of the world's 100 most influential people.

I'm sure she's as bothered by her lack of Billboard success as you are.
b80efe23.gif

royalan

Gaga just endorse MIA

that Rihanna shade

LMAO!!!

That tweet could either be taken as MIA praise or Rihanna SHADE! And y'all know Rih don't take too kindly to people attempting to drag her on Twitter! We need a response, Rihanna!

I LOVE IT!!! GIVE ME THE DRAMA!!!!

0k0yE.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom