• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The icon/legend talk begins yet again SMH

like clockwork

sis it will only end when the pressed stans of lessers learn to deal with the bum hand god dealt their faves

So what are the tiers, anyway? I mean there's Legendary and Iconic and Flop, right?. What's in above / in between / below those?

there is a tier above all the others that it fab four tier

Trigger

Apparently PUSH AND SHOVE will be streaming on iTunes UK in less than 2 hours!

tumblr_m78766ztlI1rv0axio1_400.gif

s7e2f.gif

Ties

Banned
So what are the tiers, anyway? I mean there's Legendary and Iconic and Flop, right?. What's in above / in between / below those?
Legend
Madonna

Iconic
Adele
Rihanna

Flop
The rest

Huh?

Beyonce influenced so many current popstars, including Rihanna. How's that for being original?

Do you even know what the word icon means? Ask current pop artists who they think are pop icons. I'm sure that the "icons' you're mentioning will call Beyonce their Icon.
actually most would say britney but whatever.
pop contemporaries would never admit to calling one another iconic; the point in this industry is to compete against your contemporaries, not to admit that they are iconic

royalan

So that's where xsphincta falls under!

I'm so happy over my Queen's newest single being poised to slay radio that I'm going to let that desperate attempt at #TRYINGIT slide. :)

Personally, I've always considered Icon and Flop to be poles of the success/influence scale. I usually reserve Legendary for acts who are dead or are so outside of their careers that they're no longer a factor.

3phemeral

...Did this chick really just say "Most important Popstar in the WORLD along with Michael Jackson and Beyonce"??

Of all the people to put in the ICONIC TIER, she goes and says Beyonce???

I'm not even shading right now (because Christina ain't there either), but Beyonce isn't even CLOSE to being on that level. Not YET.

Ugh, these CHILDREN.

-10 respect for Grimes.

Christina could have been there if she wanted to, but she lost her drive.

xaosslug

...Did this chick really just say "Most important Popstar in the WORLD along with Michael Jackson and Beyonce"??

Of all the people to put in the ICONIC TIER, she goes and says Beyonce???

I'm not even shading right now (because Christina ain't there either), but Beyonce isn't even CLOSE to being on that level. Not YET.

Ugh, these CHILDREN.

-10 respect for Grimes.

when you take songs that are ingrained into the greater social consciousness, sing them YOUR WAY/make 'em your own. And pretty much all subsequent performances by other peeps TRY to do it the way YOU done did it THAT is legendary/iconic.
yJq9i.gif

ITasU.gif

royalan

Christina could have been there if she wanted to, but she lost her drive.

It's not so much that she lost her drive (in her recent interviews she seems more fired up to get back out there and promote a new era than she EVER did with Bionic).

I've said before that this is my biggest issue with Christina: she could be there but her output is way too low.

She's just not as visible and active as a star of her caliber or an icon should be. It's the ONE reason I'm glad Bionic flopped. If it were successful we wouldn't be getting another Christina album until late 2014, based on history. ;__;

Also, she made Bionic.

Hey, Mariah has Glitter. ;__;

botty

Banned
Xtina is a legend.

How many artist can represent an unbreakable flower that survives the hardest conditions and still thrives?

Michael Jackson comes to mind.

Majmun

I usually use these categories:

- Legendary
- Icon
- Almost icon
- No opinion (yet)
- 15 minutes almost over
- Flops

Mau ®

There are times when I think that both Brit and Xtina are just over pop music in general.

I think Xtina still wants it. Brit is clearly not interested lol.

She was recently asked if she had thought about the new album concept or sound and she replied with a straight no. It was awesome lol.

royalan

There are times when I think that both Brit and Xtina are just over pop music in general.

I think it's a symptom of the time they came up in the music industry.

Brit and Christina were the leading princesses of the late 90s/early 2000s Pop Explosion, and I honestly can't think of a time in the US when pop music was more derided and bashed. Pop stars got shit on daily by the rest of the entertainment industry (largely because they RAN said industry). And Britney got the worst of it.

So I could see them being over it at times.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Xtina is a legend.

How many artist can represent an unbreakable flower that survives the hardest conditions and still thrives?

Michael Jackson comes to mind.

The only thing that springs to mind when drawing comparisons between MJ and Xtina is that they have both changed their skin to unnatural colours using products.

Majmun

They don't really have much to prove, though. Especially not Britney. Both have achieved a lot of success over the years.

Christina released a flop album, but her fans are still here for her.

It'd be a shame if they both lose any motivation, though. It's definitely starting to show on Britney's part.

That's what differentiates Beyonce from those two. She still seems to have the drive and hasn't lost anything over the years. Sure, 4 was a commercial flop. But it got reviewed well and managed to sell almost 3mln copies ww.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
People are still doubting Gaga's longevity?
I guess she needs to do more than having multi platinum albums, a ww soldout concert, and an already successful fragrance

I could go on forever listing her achievements but the pressed would never understand
iKmeWEA3TRNpq.gif

3phemeral

I guess she needs to do more than having multi platinum albums, a ww soldout concert, and an already successful fragrance

I could go on forever listing her achievements but the pressed would never understand
iKmeWEA3TRNpq.gif

Aren't these stadiums too?

royalan

iKmeWEA3TRNpq.gif

I'll be honest sis: If ARTPOP comes out and slays, I'll be a believer in Gaga's longevity. If she can continue slaying after the initial WOW factor of her debut has worn off, I'll be a believer.

Because now it's pretty safe to say that the initial "OMG LADY GAGA SHE'S SO WEIRD AND PROGRESSIVE" phase has worn off. People no longer flock to her idiosyncrasies like they used to. She's not as untouchable as she once was to the public.

And I'm not saying that none of that counts, because it does. But every generation has that artist that just EXPLODES onto the scene and slays so hard that people think they're here to stay, only for them to fade into obscurity almost as quickly. I mean, it's easy to shade Paula Abdul now, but that's because it's so hard to remember that when she popped onto the scene she was legitimately SLAYING pretty much EVERYONE.

EDIT: Lets not forget Olivia Newton John and Jody Watley. Hell, this entire parody article at Stan Wars is pretty spot on.

Mau ®

proxy.jpg

1. Green Valley
2. Bounce (feat. Kelis)
3. Feel So Close
4. We Found Love (feat. Rihanna)
5. We'll Be Coming Back (feat. Example)
6. Mansion
7. Iron w/ Nicky Romero
8. I Need Your Love (feat. Ellie Goulding)
9. Drinking From The Bottle (feat. Tinie Tempah)
10. Sweet Nothing (feat. Florence Welch)
11. School
12. Here 2 China (feat. Dizzee Rascal)
13. Let's Go (feat. Ne-Yo)
14. Awooga
15. Thinking About You (feat. Ayah)

3phemeral

I'll be honest sis: If ARTPOP comes out and slays, I'll be a believer in Gaga's longevity. If she can continue slaying after the initial WOW factor of her debut has worn off, I'll be a believer.

Because now it's pretty safe to say that the initial "OMG LADY GAGA SHE'S SO WEIRD AND PROGRESSIVE" phase has worn off. People no longer flock to her idiosyncrasies like they used to. She's not as untouchable as she once was to the public.

And I'm not saying that none of that counts, because it does. But every generation has that artist that just EXPLODES onto the scene and slays so hard that people think they're here to stay, only for them to fade into obscurity almost as quickly. I mean, it's easy to shade Paula Abdul now, but that's because it's so hard to remember that when she popped onto the scene she was legitimately SLAYING pretty much EVERYONE.

But Born This Way sold like 10 Million worlwide, and would have been the highest selling album of the year had it not been for Adele, who far and away surpassed everyone by twice that number. Sure, BTW wasn't the cultural zeitgeist it was promised to be, but she didn't exactly flop.

If we're going by those metrics, you can say Christina doesn't have longevity because she peaked commercially at Stripped.

royalan

But Born This Way sold like 10 Million worlwide, and would have been the highest selling album of the year had it not been for Adele, who far and away surpassed everyone by twice that number. Sure, BTW wasn't the cultural zeitgeist it was promised to be, but she didn't exactly flop.

If we're going by those metrics, you can say Christina doesn't have longevity because she peaked commercially at Stripped.

I'm not talking about album sales, tho. Heck, Paula Abdul has 4 #1s off of one album. And yet where is she now?

Koodo

Banned
All of Alvin's songs in the last year or two have followed the exact same structure.

I'm fully expecting his album to be a spectacular display of the copy paste function.

3phemeral

I'm not talking about album sales, tho. Heck, Paula Abdul has 4 #1s off of one album. And yet where is she now?
What metric are you going by then? Because an artist's perceptual appeal is something you can't really quantify, but sales you can. If we're going by "shock factor" alone, of course she's going to reach a plateau where no one's really surprised, but the key is that people are still checking on her.

Messiah is looking FAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom