• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

People focus too much on the hallyuwave and like I said, I didn't get into kpop if I wanted to stan global popularity. I already stan American artists who are global enough and I give no fucks about that, let alone if my faves in kpop ever get known in the states.

As for everyone trying trying to make it globally, not everyone is dumb enough to debut in a market they're not familiar with or think they're familiar with. SNSD, Wonder Girls, 2NE1, JYJ, BoA, Se7en have tried and are trying. 2NE1 is closest thing to happening, I guess, but hardly.

Psy is going to dominate most of the ASIAN awards this year, and then he'll go back to just being an artist that is respected and everyone will be quiet until he makes another comeback. Kpop fans don't really focus on soloists, moreso the competition relies more on the groups.

i'm sorry, but the Korean/Asian scene copy, copy, copies each other and everyone else. I think Psy's over (many) seas success will impact/reshape the entire Asian industry. And there has been no interest in solo artists because there hasn't ever been anyone as big as Psy (not even Rain or BoA, tbh) Maybe, he will open the door for everyone else, maybe he'll get kicked back out and the door will be barricaded (very likely! LOL) behind him? But he's a one man Girl's Generation in Asia, now, basically. Every song he drops will be a hit all over Asia, IMO.

SaintZ

Watch the full Blue Velvet video.
It's pretty short.

imbG7nfnZafpy.gif
It's kinda meh. But then again it's just a promo. The video could have lasted the whole song tho :/

RubyFaith

i'm sorry, but the Korean/Asian scene copy, copy, copies each other and everyone else. I think Psy's over (many) seas success will impact/reshape the entire Asian industry. And there has been no interest in solo artists because there hasn't ever been anyone as big as Psy (not even Rain or BoA, tbh) Maybe, he will open the door for everyone else, maybe he'll get kicked back out and the door will be barricaded (very likely! LOL) behind him? But he's a one man Girl's Generation in Asia, now, basically. Every song he drops will be a hit all over Asia, IMO.

I honestly, honestly don't think he's made an impact on anything and if a goofy dance is going to reshape the Asian music industry then that's pree sad.

It's been three months now, I think, since the release of Gangnam Style and no one has mentioned 2NE1 (whose from the same company), or 4minute (HyunA, the girl in his video and did the remake is in this group; my favorite group btw). No one cares about Asian music, they just like the dance and the song. The Macarena didn't make everyone go "Oh hey, South America must be where it's at."

I'm not trying to belittle his success. He's made it huge without even trying, and one of the biggest things is because he made a song without trying to sound American and yet it was enjoyable for everyone. SNSD tried to make their sound Americanized and nobody was here for that. Like you mentioned, he opened a door, but only for himself. And he may get it shut back in his face if he tries to release his English music. I like him but I'm not digging this global mess because it's a joke.

tumblr_mak8k9O3XJ1qzjb8ko1_1280.jpg

royalan

I honestly, honestly don't think he's made an impact on anything and if a goofy dance is going to reshape the Asian music industry then that's pree sad.

It's been three months now, I think, since the release of Gangnam Style and no one has mentioned 2NE1 (whose from the same company), or 4minute (HyunA, the girl in his video and did the remake is in this group; my favorite group btw). No one cares about Asian music, they just like the dance and the song. The Macarena didn't make everyone go "Oh hey, South America must be where it's at."

I'm not trying to belittle his success. He's made it huge without even trying, and one of the biggest things is because he made a song without trying to sound American and yet it was enjoyable for everyone. SNSD tried to make their sound Americanized and nobody was here for that. Like you mentioned, he opened a door, but only for himself. And he may get it shut back in his face if he tries to release his English music. I like him but I'm not digging this global mess because it's a joke.

tumblr_mak8k9O3XJ1qzjb8ko1_1280.jpg

Don't drag The Godarena into this. everything about that song was flawless and, along with Ricky Martin, did actually open the door for a Latin Pop explosion in the US.

Mau ®

1. PINK – Blow Me (One Last Kiss): 134.750 (+ 0.681)
2. ELLIE GOULDING – Lights: 133.720 (- 2.297)
3. FLO RIDA – Whistle: 125.189 (- 0.488)
4. KATY PERRY – Wide Awake: 121.203 (- 1.405)
5. TAYLOR SWIFT – We Are Never Ever Getting…: 115.596 (+ 0.847)
6. NEON TREES – Everybody Talks: 115.353 (- 0.557)
7. MAROON 5 – One More Night: 107.037 (+ 1.734)
8. JUSTIN BIEBER – As Long As You Love Me: 106.606 (+ 2.325)
9. DEMI LOVATO – Give Your Heart A Break: 102.324 (- 1.544)
10. MAROON 5 – Payphone f/Wiz Khalifa: 93.297 (- 1.493)
11. FUN. – Some Nights: 92.743 (+ 1.915)
12. OWL CITY & CARLY RAE JEPSEN – Good Time: 91.967 (+ 1.539)

13. GOTYE – Somebody That I Used To Know: 90.905 (- 0.548)
14. DAVID GUETTA – Titanium f/Sia: 89.619 (- 1.272)
15. RIHANNA – Where Have You Been: 86.584 (- 0.988)
16. NICKI MINAJ – Pound The Alarm: 80.870 (+ 1.683)
17. CARLY RAE JEPSEN – Call Me Maybe: 79.068 (- 1.635)
18. ALEX CLARE – Too Close: 77.951 (+ 1.547)
19. CHRIS BROWN – Don’t Wake Me Up: 67.277 (+ 1.616)
20. KANYE WEST – Mercy f/Big Sean/Pusha T…: 66.905 (- 0.039)

HUNTER HAYES – Wanted: 62.170 (+ 0.330)
JOSH TURNER – Time Is Love: 60.069 (- 1.045)
JASON ALDEAN – Take A Little Ride: 58.708 (+ 1.046)
MIGUEL - Adorn: 52.796 (+ 0.077)
JASON MRAZ – I Won’t Give Up: 48.164 (+ 0.242)
CARRIE UNDERWOOD – Blown Away: 47.463 (+ 1.057)
NE-YO - Let Me Love You: 45.629 (+ 1.205)

TRAIN – 50 Ways To Say Goodbye: 42.336 (+ 0.718)
DAVID GUETTA - I Can Only Imagine f/C. Brown: 41.028 (+ 0.683)
ENRIQUE IGLESIAS – Finally Found You f/S. Adams: 32.351 (+ 1.448)
MATCHBOX TWENTY – She’s So Mean: 30.220 (+ 0.047)
KARMIN – Hello: 29.871 (+ 0.814)
PHILLIP PHILLIPS – Home: 29.062 (+ 0.358)
BEYONCE - Dance For You: 22.030 (+ 0.495)
PSY - Gangnam Style: 20.292 (+ 1.902)
ONEREPUBLIC – Feel Again: 18.889 (+ 0.830)
CHRISTINA AGUILERA - Your Body: 16.994 (+ 1.333)
KANYE WEST - Clique f/Big Sean & JAY-Z: 15.605 (+ 1.144)
USHER - Numb: 14.719 (+ 0.888)
OLLY MURS - Heart Skips A Beat: 14.285 (+ 0.405)
ALICIA KEYS - Girl On Fire: 13.791 (+ 0.948)
MUMFORD & SONS – I Will Wait: 12.752 (+ 0.055)
MUSE – Madness: 11.839 (+ 0.317)

LINKIN PARK - Burn It Down: 26.305
BRIDGIT MENDLER - Ready Or Not: 3.245
NICKI MINAJ & CASSIE - Boys: 2.786 (+ 0.077)
CIARA - Sorry: 0.801
NO DOUBT - Push And Shove: 0.573

ITZ's notes:

+ P!nk reaches the top spot for Radio Songs in USA. This alone will grant her a spot in the top 5 of the Hot 100.

+ Xtina continues getting consistent updates on par with the last few days (excluding debut day). With it's great digital performance its likely to land a spot between 15-6 chart spots.

+ ALAYLM is on its way to become Beiber's biggest radio hit. Its performance has surpassed all expectations. Beiber is doing a good job at breaking a more adult market with her latest material tbh.

royalan

The what?

Oh the Wedding song.

Yeah I can believe Ricky or Shakira doing it big for Latin pop but not LDR.

Not only did The Macarena debut in the US before those two, but:

After being remixed by the Bayside Boys and having English lyrics written and added by Grammy nominated producers Carlos de Yarza and Mike "In The Night" Triay and sung by Carla Vanessa, it became a worldwide hit in mid-1996. The single spent 14 weeks at number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, one of the longest runs atop the Hot 100 chart in history. The single spent its final week at number one on its 46th week on the chart, recorded as the latest number-one single in Hot 100 history. During its heyday, the song was played frequently at professional athletic games, rallies, conventions, and other places. Many believe that a world record for group dancing was set in 1996, when a crowd of 50,000 people danced the Macarena in Yankee Stadium in New York City.

"Macarena" remained popular through 1996, but by the end of 1997, its popularity had diminished. The song stayed in the Hot 100 chart for 60 weeks - the longest reign among number-one songs, until Adele's 2010 number-one single "Rolling in the Deep" later broke the record fifteen years later, logging 65 weeks in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (tying Jewel's 1997 single "Foolish Games"/"You Were Meant for Me"), though it was later surpassed by LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" later that year, after the latter logged 68 weeks in the said chart. The Bayside Boys remix includes a sample from Yazoo (also known in the United States as Yaz) track Situation - the laughter of Yazoo vocalist Alison Moyet. In Addition, the chorus utilized female vocal samples utilized by The Farm in their song "Higher and Higher (Remix)" from their album, Spartacus. The female singer on the remix was hired by the Bayside Boys, and at her request was uncredited. The Bayside Boys toured the U.S. and the world, and featured singer Carla Vanessa, although she is not the voice on the remix itself.

In 1997, the song had sold 11 million copies. While having only a 25% take in royalties from the song, Romero and Ruiz became immensely wealthy. According to the BBC News Service, during the year 2003 alone — a full decade after the song's initial release — Romero and Ruiz made USD $250,000 in royalties[6]. Julio Iglesias is quoted as congratulating the duo personally: "My success singing in English from Miami is nothing compared to yours; coming out of Dos Hermanas with little international exposure elsewhere and selling these many records in Spanish takes two huge sets of cojones."[7]

The Flawlessrena remains unbothered by the disrespect.

RubyFaith

The Flawlessrena remains unbothered by the disrespect.

Wait, wot? No disrespect-- I jam out to the macarena at every party I go to.

After being remixed by the Bayside Boys and having English lyrics written and added by Grammy nominated producers Carlos de Yarza and Mike "In The Night" Triay and sung by Carla Vanessa, it became a worldwide hit in mid-1996. The single spent 14 weeks at number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, one of the longest runs atop the Hot 100 chart in history. The single spent its final week at number one on its 46th week on the chart, recorded as the latest number-one single in Hot 100 history. During its heyday, the song was played frequently at professional athletic games, rallies, conventions, and other places. Many believe that a world record for group dancing was set in 1996, when a crowd of 50,000 people danced the Macarena in Yankee Stadium in New York City.

"Macarena" remained popular through 1996, but by the end of 1997, its popularity had diminished. The song stayed in the Hot 100 chart for 60 weeks - the longest reign among number-one songs, until Adele's 2010 number-one single "Rolling in the Deep" later broke the record fifteen years later, logging 65 weeks in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (tying Jewel's 1997 single "Foolish Games"/"You Were Meant for Me"), though it was later surpassed by LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" later that year, after the latter logged 68 weeks in the said chart. The Bayside Boys remix includes a sample from Yazoo (also known in the United States as Yaz) track Situation - the laughter of Yazoo vocalist Alison Moyet. In Addition, the chorus utilized female vocal samples utilized by The Farm in their song "Higher and Higher (Remix)" from their album, Spartacus. The female singer on the remix was hired by the Bayside Boys, and at her request was uncredited. The Bayside Boys toured the U.S. and the world, and featured singer Carla Vanessa, although she is not the voice on the remix itself.

In 1997, the song had sold 11 million copies. While having only a 25% take in royalties from the song, Romero and Ruiz became immensely wealthy. According to the BBC News Service, during the year 2003 alone — a full decade after the song's initial release — Romero and Ruiz made USD $250,000 in royalties[6]. Julio Iglesias is quoted as congratulating the duo personally: "My success singing in English from Miami is nothing compared to yours; coming out of Dos Hermanas with little international exposure elsewhere and selling these many records in Spanish takes two huge sets of cojones."[7]

Where's the part that says they reshaped the Latin pop industry?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Again with this? At least Lights was actually successful here, unlike in the UK where it was a flop. Shows who has the better taste.

Ellie Goulding was pretty successful here actually, please try harder with your flop shade next time. She also got a lot of buzz from various dubstep remixes of her songs around the release of Lights.

It's just that she was big, you know, when the album actually came out.

Gross, Carly Rae Jepshiz on So You Think You Can Dance tonight.

How dare she sully this flawless show and (hopefully) flawless finale with her Satanic presence tbh

Artemisia

Banned
Yeah Ellie Goulding did a lot better in UK than she did in the US.

-She topped the BBC sound of 2010 list
-850k albums sold
-2 top ten sigles

Even though Lights smashed in the US, they still aren't buying her album.

Bladenic

Ellie Goulding is pretty big here actually, please try harder with your flop shade next time.

It wasn't flop shade. Ellie is successful in the UK, yes. But the topic at hand is the song Lights, not Ellie or her career. Lights peaked at #49 in the UK iirc, while peaking at #2 in the US and having massive success. And you keep bringing up the fact that it's two years old. Yes, in the UK. In the US it was only released to radio right at the end of January. Yes, it was a slow burner, but became massive. While in the UK it flopped. Her best song flopped in her homeland, huh.

tumblr_m0nlblA3221qc41a4o1_400.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It wasn't flop shade. Ellie is successful in the UK, yes. But the topic at hand is the song Lights, not Ellie or her career. Lights peaked at #49 in the UK iirc, while peaking at #2 in the US and having massive success. And you keep bringing up the fact that it's two years old. Yes, in the UK. In the US it was only released to radio right at the end of January. Yes, it was a slow burner, but became massive. While in the UK it flopped. Her best song flopped in her homeland, huh.

Firstly, Lights was released in the US in March 2011.

Secondly, Under The Sheets is her best song.

You tried tho.

It doesn't matter Bladegurl. Albums sell in the UK, singles don't.

Especially since artists there make a habit of releasing them right before the accompanying album comes out.

Bladenic

Firstly, Lights was released in the US in March 2011.

Secondly, Under The Sheets is her best song.

You tried tho.

Lol no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lights_(Ellie_Goulding_song)#Release_history

It doesn't matter Bladegurl. Albums sell in the UK, singles don't.

Especially since artists there make a habit of releasing them right before the accompanying album comes out.

Maybe, but she had single success before Lights. And I think Lights was the lead from the re-release that included it (not including her best song on the album titled after the song, silly Ellie). This is the country where Chris Brown sinles still find a lot of success, so I'm not really surprised though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I see 'May 2011' for release in the US?

In the United States, "Lights" was a sleeper hit, spending one year and three months on the Billboard Hot 100 before finally reaching the number two of the chart in August 2012, after being released in May 2011.

One year and three months from Jan this year would be April next year hun. Who knows what could be #1 in the US then. Maybe Paula Abdul's 1988 single 'Straight Up'.

Maybe, but she had single success before Lights. And I think Lights was the lead from the re-release that included it (not including her best song on the album titled after the song, silly Ellie). This is the country where Chris Brown sinles still find a lot of success, so I'm not really surprised though.

1) The album wasn't called Under The Sheets. And it definitely wasn't called Under The Sheets (Jakwob Remix).

2) Re: Chris Brown and the UK:

560.brown_.ls_.91412.jpg

You tried tho. Apparently not very hard. But you tried.

Bladenic

I see 'May 2011' for release in the US?

One year and three months from Jan this year would be April next year hun.

1) The album wasn't called Under The Sheets. And it definitely wasn't called Under The Sheets (Jakwob Remix).

2) Re: Chris Brown and the UK:

560.brown_.ls_.91412.jpg

You tried tho. Apparently not very hard. But you tried.

LOL you keep trying and failing. The song entered the Billboard Hot 100 for one week then fell off, probably some digital downloads or something. It re-entered in January of this year. Which, by the way, is when it was released to RADIO, aka the definition of being "released."

As for Chris Brown, nice try, but at least the US doesn't buy his albums or singles at all. You tried tho

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
LOL you keep trying and failing. The song entered the Billboard Hot 100 for one week then fell off, probably some digital downloads or something. It re-entered in January of this year. Which, by the way, is when it was released to RADIO, aka the definition of being "released."

It spent a year and three months in the Billboard Hot 100. How could it have entered for a week and fallen off and yet still have spent a year and three months on it?

As for Chris Brown, nice try, but at least the US doesn't buy his albums or singles at all. You tried tho

And yet he continues to live in the US and it's US record companies that finance him and continue to give him coverage and exposure.

You tried tho. But please stop now, you're embarrassing yourself.

ibxKQb7ANM646.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
X Factor has released an "Anti-"The Voice commercial in a desperate attempt to gain viewers.

Seems like the Queen has Simon, Fox, and all the haters so bothered.

ib2ao1zRqR69ZM.gif

I think it's actually kind of hilarious that The Voice is cockblocking XFactor tbh.

[edit]SIS KIII there's a karaoke cover version of Your Body available on the UK iTunes store before the actual song.

ibfI13LcHC7D2B.png

Kyon

Banned
CB is actually more successful in the UK . A few pics doesn't phase out the numbers. His singles do great like he said and he is right

Bladenic

It spent a year and three months in the Billboard Hot 100. How could it have entered for a week and fallen off and yet still have spent a year and three months on it?

And yet he continues to live in the US and it's US record companies that finance him and continue to give him coverage and exposure.

You tried tho. But please stop now, you're embarrassing yourself.

ibxKQb7ANM646.gif

LOL read under chart performance hun. That bit at the top is wrong, and there isn't even a source provided. Anyone can edit Wikipedia, I'm inclined to believe you did just to help your argument.

As for Chris, sure he lives here and his record company still keeps his ugly ass around, but nobody in the US likes him or buys his shit. The UK tho..

It would be good for you to stop looking like a fool and spewing completely false nonsense. I imagine it must hurt your ego that the UK is not, in fact, some beacon of holy light in the pop music world. I recommend professional help.

ibaKja2eZAgdOc.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom