• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

Let's be serious here. The only reason Shitty hit it big is because of Lil Wayne basically becoming her owner. She became his slave completely, and with his help she managed to become successful. I'm guessing it was her idea to go full on pop though, because I doubt Wayne would have suggested that. Who knows?

Either way, Azealia doesn't strike me as the sell-out type. Obviously this could change, but we'll see. Shitty has no place to talk though.

And bless Rihanna for not deleting tweets. She's about the only one who talks shit and doesn't care.

I enjoyed reading this fact-based reading of Garbaj.

botty

Banned
Nicki's level is what again? Azealia easily shits on Nicki's flow/content/charisma.

Nicki's flow and content is what allowed her to break out into the pop scene. I think she is pretty charismatic too. I don't see where exactly you are getting all this fluff for Azealia from... it's not like she's done anything mainstream yet.

I also don't see how people are trying to knock Nicki, when she was breaking billboard records a few weeks ago.

tumblr_m6pin5vmYZ1qdnrlxo1_r1_500.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
yall accuse Nicki of doing Pop but yall wouldnt even be here for Azealia if it wasnt for her releasing a DANCE track. SIT

Azealia can take her Nemo ass back in to the ocean and stop flopping around here. It is cute she chooses to be a mermaid because just like her career they dont exist
tumblr_lpq57jlfxS1qaclw9.gif

Bladenic

Nicki's flow and content is what allowed her to break out into the pop scene. I think she is pretty charismatic too. I don't see where exactly you are getting all this fluff for Azealia from... it's not like she's done anything mainstream yet.

I also don't see how people are trying to knock Nicki, when she was breaking billboard records a few weeks ago.

tumblr_m6pin5vmYZ1qdnrlxo1_r1_500.gif

Um because she sucks, she's a sellout, her album flopped despite Starships breaking a record as you said. Need I go on?

Also Second calling either Azealia or Shitty "hot" is stretching the definition of that term to its breaking point, but at least Azealia isn't 100% fake everything.

royalan

If Azealia keeps up her momentum (and maybe that's a big if) she could easily surpass Nicki in two years max. She's got something that Nicki has NEVER had: hipster cred.

Pop loves her.
Urban loves her.
And the Pitchforks of the world love her.

Banks really struck gold with her mix of hardcore rap and 90s-style club beats.

Frankly, the stage is set. Prediction: If Azealia's first album smashes Nicky is DONE. Everyone will be lining up to collab with her and Urban is already itching for a reason to write Nicky off completely.

Basically, it's Azealia's ball to drop at this point

Bladenic

yall accuse Nicki of doing Pop but yall wouldnt even be here for Azealia if it wasnt for her releasing a DANCE track. SIT

Azealia can take her Nemo ass back in to the ocean and stop flopping around here. It is cute she chooses to be a mermaid because just like her career they dont exist
tumblr_lpq57jlfxS1qaclw9.gif

You seem to forget that Shitty released about a dozen mixtapes and still nobody cared. Then she let Lil Wayne pee in her butt and voila, a successful artist was born (and later/currently died).

botty

Banned
If Azealia keeps up her momentum (and maybe that's a big if) she could easily surpass Nicki in two years max. She's got something that Nicki has NEVER had: hipster cred.

Which, as we saw with Tyler, the Creator and Odd Future, means they will abandon you once you become popular.

Majmun

Pop loves her.
Urban loves her.
And the Pitchforks of the world love her.

Banks really struck gold with her mix of hardcore rap and 90s-style club beats.

Frankly, the stage is set. Prediction: If Azealia's first album smashes Nicky is DONE. Everyone will be lining up to collab with her and Urban is already itching for a reason to write Nicky off completely.

Basically, it's Azealia's ball to drop at this point

I really hope she somehow collabs with Beyonce. Azealia seem to be a Bee stan. A collab would slay me so hard.

And your post nails it btw. Azealia has so much potential.

One of y'all Icky stans get back to me when she puts her name to anything as good as 212, 'kay?

Better than ANY Nicki track. The hard truth there.

Azealia has what Nicki lacks, authenticity.

tumblr_m7zukgQewf1ru3zvuo1_500.jpg

I respect Nicki's grind for that paper, but at no point do I buy what she's selling.

royalan

Which, as we saw with Tyler, the Creator and Odd Future, means they will abandon you once you become popular.

Was Tyler ever popular tho? I mean,in terms of 15 minutes, dude got 5 before he punched himself out the game and fled to cartoon network.

Bladenic

Your opinion is wrong.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Friday:_Roman_Reloaded#Reception

Hm, others disagree with your assessment.

As is anyone who signs a contract.

Hardly, she chose to go the pop route. Which is smart considering female rappers have short life spans, but it doesn't change anything.

The album still debuted at #1, and went platinum. With a record breaking smash hit.

tumblr_m6chrzD4Yg1qdnrlxo4_250.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicki_Minaj_discography#Albums

Album barely sold over a million worldwide. Not even at 600k copies sold in the US. Also it's certified platinum for the SHIPMENTS. Which means her label grossly overshipped her album, which will probably stay on shelves not being bought. Her second album sold only about 40% (probably less, I don't have a calculator on me) of her debut too, which isn't a good sign. Nobody gives a fuck about a #1 album, this has been established decades ago. And finally, that smash hit obviously didn't compell enough people to buy her flop album.

botty

Banned
Was Tylor ever popular tho? I mean,in terms of 15 minutes, dude got 5 before he punched himself out the game and fled to cartoon network.

Yes, when all the hipsters were walking around with hard-ons for the "wItCh h0use" rapper from yonkers. However, after his Mtv appearance he disappeared, because his fans abandoned him.

At least Azealia is trying to snatch up some gay fans, who, as we all know, can be very loyal.

Hardly, she chose to go the pop route. Which is smart considering female rappers have short life spans, but it doesn't change anything.

Album barely sold over a million worldwide. Not even at 600k copies sold in the US. Also it's certified platinum for the SHIPMENTS. Which means her label grossly overshipped her album, which will probably stay on shelves not being bought. Her second album sold only about 40% (probably less, I don't have a calculator on me) of her debut too, which isn't a good sign. Nobody gives a fuck about a #1 album, this has been established decades ago. And finally, that smash hit obviously didn't compell enough people to buy her flop album.

i1SmwOS6yRHgx.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
you keep saying she is going the pop route when 75% of her tour is hip hop, it just happens her Pop songs are her biggest hits

and some of you are delusional thinking she is going to disappear if Azealia even manages to make a quarter of Pink Friday's sales with her debut album. Nicki is about to end her first tour(which has been well received) and start her second tour in the fall while Azealia keeps burning bridges before even anyone knows her name

morganfreemansneeze-1.gif

botty

Banned

PF had more hype and promo behind it. Not to mention it is a better album, however that doesn't take away from PF:RR.

I think you guys are also giving Azealia Banks too much credit. If she ever gets the opportunity to sell out, she will.

These chicks can't deny the money.

tumblr_lqb210Cpfb1qjmg4no1_500.gif

Bladenic

you keep saying she is going the pop route when 75% of her tour is hip hop, it just happens her Pop songs are her biggest hits

and some of you are delusional thinking she is going to disappear if Azealia even manages to make a quarter of Pink Friday's sales with her debut album. Nicki is about to end her first tour(which has been well received) and start her second tour in the fall while Azealia keeps burning bridges before even anyone knows her name

Again, Shitty took forever to become popular, Azealia got time. Also, Shitty is quickly losing steam as is evidenced by her second album sales while Azealia is gaining momentum if slowly at that. Even Lil Wayne is tiring of Shitty and her disgusting looks.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Nicki is just so bothered when any other female emcee does anything relevant. She says that it's all about respect, and when she wins awards its for all female rappers and stuff, but I can't help but feel it's a line of shit that she's forcing us to eat. I kinda thought that Lil' Kim was just crazy, but I feel like she has a point. Nicki in her old videos before she was famous talks tons of shit on female rappers, but when you get her in camera about it, it's all love and respect.

I'm just not here for her.

#BEEZINDATRAP tho, I'll stan for that.

I see no lies. Haven't like an Azealia song except 212.

3113144u3bLbhg8.gif

Bladenic

PF had more hype and promo behind it. Not to mention it is a better album, however that doesn't take away from PF:RR.

I think you guys are also giving Azealia Banks too much credit. If she ever gets the opportunity to sell out, she will.

These chicks can't deny the money.

tumblr_lqb210Cpfb1qjmg4no1_500.gif

Oh I agree. She might. It remains to be seen.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Again, Shitty took forever to become popular, Azealia got time. Also, Shitty is quickly losing steam as is evidenced by her second album sales while Azealia is gaining momentum if slowly at that. Even Lil Wayne is tiring of Shitty and her disgusting looks.

but how is she losing steam if she is going from playing theaters to arena's in the fall

where is the logic?

Fat-woman-stairs-slides.gif

botty

Banned

Quickly losing steam with songs charting across the billboards.

whitneymhhmm.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

You mean burning bridges like tweeting to show her disappointment and not getting to tour with someone and that person calling her delusional?

I don't think she's the one burning bridges.

Bladenic

LOL um okay let's ignore the fact that her album sold like dogshit compared to her first. Also beside Starships, the rest of the singles have been mega flops. And speaking of her tour...

http://www.freezepage.com/1338233123SAHHAPNKGT

And I didn't see much in the way of boxoffice data, I highly doubt she's selling out stadiums as you put it.

Besides she sucks live, as evidenced by her giving the worst performance the Grammy's have ever seen earlier this year. I mean I guess for POP concerts you go to see, um, lights and shit lol, not an artist singing live and well.

B-Dex

LOL um okay let's ignore the fact that her album sold like dogshit compared to her first. Also beside Starships, the rest of the singles have been mega flops. And speaking of her tour...

http://www.freezepage.com/1338233123SAHHAPNKGT

And I didn't see much in the way of boxoffice data, I highly doubt she's selling out stadiums as you put it.

Besides she sucks live, as evidenced by her giving the worst performance the Grammy's have ever seen earlier this year. I mean I guess for POP concerts you go to see, um, lights and shit lol, not an artist singing live and well.

Why do people go to Britney concerts tho?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
umm.. ok

the juxtaposition was instructive to fans of both genres, as well as to anyone still harboring the idea that pop and hip-hop should, for some reason, be kept separate. It was thrilling to see a rap show with such high production values; tightly choreographed backup dancers offered an energy that the more common choice of letting assorted hangers-on wander around stage doesn't.

This looseness with boundaries – between audience and performer, pop and hip-hop – gave the show a big tent approach that worked fantastically. Categorizations blurred, and there was a faint whiff of transgression among audience members who might have felt at times out of their element, whether they were the passionate 2 Chainz fans sneakily singing along to “Starships” or the pop fans who let out an audible gasp during a pointed expletive in “Fire Burns.”
http://www.redeyechicago.com/entert...j-at-chicago-theatre-20120717,0,5660636.story

Her concert last night

Her white, beaming smile and poised expression made the famously independent female rapper look like she’s been doing this for years. Whether inflecting her notable quirky personas in flagrant numbers or singing her heart out in pop ballads, Minaj proved there’s a lot more behind the crazy makeup or off-the-wall outfits -- even if that’s exactly what was missing in this performance. Her message of female independence rang out loud and clear to the hundreds of girls in the crowd, and it's this personality that's set her apart from other female rappers of today and proves she isn’t giving it up anytime soon.
http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2012/jul/30/photos-concert-review-nicki-minaj-dallas/#

and I can pull more

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
No need, I could care less about her backup dancers and shit. If you have boxoffice data, you can show me that.

you could care less but are the first to pull up the review game

and why would I pull boxoffice data, she is doing theaters since this was her first debut concert tour
ikXOi4ww3zHNU.gif

maybe in the fall when she is playing arenas I will, but your point was that she was losing steam when there is clear evidence that she is not

Satch

Banned
Don't care for yet ANOTHER femcee feud. Would have been cool if Azealia and Nicki collaborated but I guess that's asking too much.

same tbh

femcees always get set up to compete. they're not even allowed to coexist smh, and i'm not here for that

Az is still better doe
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

royalan

you could care less but are the first to pull up the review game

and why would I pull boxoffice data, she is doing theaters since this was her first debut concert tour
ikXOi4ww3zHNU.gif

maybe in the fall when she is playing arenas I will, but your point was that she was losing steam when there is clear evidence that she is not

Technically, reviews aren't indication that she isn't losing steam.

Mau ®

Garbaj's days are numbered. Urban HATES her. It's only a matter of time before POP dropz her off for someone hotter with better music... and lets face it, that's not particularly hard.

Nemesis_

So much has happened since I went to bed ;_;

I like Nicki Minaj's pop sings, they are fun and such but I don't think she has any staying power at this point.

Christopher

Apparently Pound the Alarm is set to slay right? Lets see how this before we shade her out...you guys are quick to get rid of the newbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom