• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
... I wouldn't call Unapologetic trying

itKIkOWYZFaWy.gif

b3d79dc8.gif

Kyon

Banned
"bob and weave guuuuuurl"

noooooooo

b3d79dc8.gif

The things HE said to her too I caNAWT. These two doing the most. He blocked her ass a year ago I remember. She blocked me too so I can't read her TL. I invaded her mentions and the other Stans joined me I could not.

Idk why she was back but Christopher is an IDIOT for replying. He seems to think he is FORGIVEN but he will always have that looming on him. RIHANUS should've stopped it tbh The Forehead is hanging out with him

A damn Hoodrat Thug Mistress mess.

OMG Not that Jenny Johnson trick! Is she a professional twitter troll? Fighters were just dragging her ass over some Xtina tweets a few months ago.

From what I remember she is a comedian? Didnt care long enough to look her up. She said some shit about some of the other faves too yes. There were a few times

royalan

I'm so conflicted.

On one hand...Jenny Johnson needs to get a life. All for reading her for filth.

On the other hand...It's open season on dragging Chris Brown, as it should be...

ibxqNT2HlEVtKe.gif

Damn. How does that Jenny chick get away with that while I get permanently Twitter-banned for insinuating that Chris Brown has a pencil dick?

You were banned from twitter? Like, all of it? That's possible?

Kyon

Banned
I'm so conflicted.

On one hand...Jenny Johnson needs to get a life. All for reading her for filth.

On the other hand...It's open season on dragging Chris Brown, as it should be...

ibxqNT2HlEVtKe.gif

You were banned from twitter? Like, all of it? That's possible?

It only happens when people report you as spam. If you only have a few tweets this could also go against you. If you didn't change your pick from an egg to something else than you will most likely be deleted. Otherwise it has nothing to do with what he said. He was reported as spam RIP.

Anyway yes what you say is true. But she's been doing it for 2+ years and he blocked her. Somehow her newest tweets got to him most likely by people RTing it the old fashion way so he can see it. People were instigating and it lead to this

Kyon

Banned
OMG All The Matters (The Beautiful Life)

HEY! YA-HUH!

DYDance.gif

I am D-O-N-E DONE!

Album of the Year. Can't say your faves tried hard enough.

Bladenic

WaiT I haven't heard any AUTOTUNE at all.... Only vocals. OMG she's actually trying to sing in Wonderland
shocked.gif

SIS the whole album is practically auto-tune free. She even removed the auto-tune that was present in the Only Wanna Dance With You demo. She is giving us EVERYTHING
52b0f867.gif

The deluxe tracks are better than like half the album.
52b0f867.gif

But they all slay so much, I am done.
52b0f867.gif

Kyon

Banned
SIS the whole album is practically auto-tune free. She even removed the auto-tune that was present in the Only Wanna Dance With You demo. She is giving us EVERYTHING
52b0f867.gif

The deluxe tracks are better than like half the album.
52b0f867.gif

But they all slay so much, I am done.
52b0f867.gif

OMFGGGGGGGG

Just got to Out Alive WHAT IS THISSSSSSS??????????!!!!!!! I'm SCREAMINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Bladenic

OMFGGGGGGGG

Just got to Out Alive WHAT IS THISSSSSSS??????????!!!!!!! I'm SCREAMINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Out Alive is a fucking club banger omg why is it not on the regular edition, it needs to be a single.
52b0f867.gif

Last Goodbye is just so good, I cannot what is life?
52b0f867.gif

Gold Trans Am is like a small town country rock version of Sleazy.
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Past Lives lyrics are everything, such a beautiful song.
52b0f867.gif

So many possible smashes on this album. Thinking of You, Supernatural, Wherever You Are, DIRTY LOVE, ONLY WANNA DANCE WITH YOU, I AM DONE I am JUST DONE. What is air, what is life, Ke$hus has given me EVERYTHING.
52b0f867.gif

Kyon

Banned
Out Alive is a fucking club banger omg why is it not on the regular edition, it needs to be a single.
52b0f867.gif

Last Goodbye is just so good, I cannot what is life?
52b0f867.gif

Gold Trans Am is like a small town country rock version of Sleazy.
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Past Lives lyrics are everything, such a beautiful song.
52b0f867.gif

So many possible smashes on this album. Thinking of You, Supernatural, Wherever You Are, I AM DONE I am JUST DONE. What is air, what is life, Ke$hus has given me EVERYTHING.
52b0f867.gif

YASSSS!!!!

WE WERE BORN TO BREAK THE DOORS DOWN FIGHT UNTIL THE END YEAH!

IT'S SOMETHING'S THAT'S INSIDE OF US ITS..

HOW WE'VE ALWAYS BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN YEAH!

WARRIOR-RIOR-RIOR-RIOR WARRIOR-RIORRRRR!!!!

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Bladenic

YASSSS!!!!

WE WERE BORN TO BREAK THE DOORS DOWN FIGHT UNTIL THE END YEAH!

IT'S SOMETHING'S THAT'S INSIDE OF US ITS..

HOW WE'VE ALWAYS BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN YEAH!

WARRIOR-RIOR-RIOR-RIOR WARRIOR-RIORRRRR!!!!

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Yasssssssss Warrior is everything
52b0f867.gif

I can't with ATRL paying Die Young complete dust and calling it trash, what a vile place.
52b0f867.gif

Kyon

Banned
Yasssssssss Warrior is everything
52b0f867.gif

I can't with ATRL paying Die Young complete dust and calling it trash, what a vile place.
52b0f867.gif

Eaux those vile cunTs.

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

OMG why is Warrior Clean in this? But it's MQ better than the LQ one tho so I can't delete

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Really good quality for 64kbps .

Still awaiting real HQ 250kpbs + ITunes Lossless and I'm through for life!

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Bladenic

Eaux those vile cunTs.

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

OMG why is Warrior Clean in this? But it's MQ better than the LQ one tho so I can't delete

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Really good quality for 64kbps .

Still awaiting real HQ 250kpbs + ITunes Lossless and I'm through for life!

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

We have yet to get an actual good leak. They're all LQ, some are missing tracks, some skip, some are censored, it's just a damn mess.

tumblr_lm6sk37F691qftp03.gif

But whatever this is so good that I don't care.

Warrior >>> Cannibal > Animal.
ec20fb7f.gif

Ke$hus Chri$t has simply delivered us the Pop AOTY, the other bitches like Rihanus, Shitty Garbaj, Glasshorse, St!nk, etc all fucking tried tho.
ec20fb7f.gif

Edit: Marius on plug dj: "no, I'm not a Ke$ha stan on ATRL" I C

Kyon

Banned
We have yet to get an actual good leak. They're all LQ, some are missing tracks, some skip, some are censored, it's just a damn mess.

But whatever this is so good that I don't care.

Warrior >>> Cannibal > Animal.
ec20fb7f.gif

Ke$hus Chri$t has simply delivered us the Pop AOTY, the other bitches like Rihanus, Shitty Garbaj, Glasshorse, St!nk, etc all fucking tried tho.
ec20fb7f.gif

Cohesive, not RUSHED, PERFECTION, ROCK ELEMENTS as promised, Ballads...

Album of the year. I really can't remember any other albums so PERFECT besides BTD.

Only the CHRI$T
ec20fb7f.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
And I just want to scream.

WHAAAAAT NOWWWW

I just can't figure it out.

WHAAAAAT NOWWWW

I guess I'll just wait it out (wait it out)

WHHHHAATTT NNOOOOOOOOWWWW

please tell maaaa

WHAAAAATTT NOOOOWWWWWWW

iFMoP02KR3ysX.gif
iFMoP02KR3ysX.gif
iFMoP02KR3ysX.gif

Bladenic

WHAAAAAT NOWWWW

WHAAAAAT NOWWWW

please tell maaaa

WHAAAAATTT NOOOOWWWWWWW

iFMoP02KR3ysX.gif
iFMoP02KR3ysX.gif
iFMoP02KR3ysX.gif

Stop listening to that trash and join the Church of Chri$t.

Cynosure

littering popgaf with talk of Ke$hit should be a bannable offense.

Mehrius made an appropriate tra$h bin for such wa$te

WHAAAAAT NOWWWW

WHAAAAAT NOWWWW

please tell maaaa

WHAAAAATTT NOOOOWWWWWWW

iFMoP02KR3ysX.gif
iFMoP02KR3ysX.gif
iFMoP02KR3ysX.gif

yassss
the only acceptable illuminati puppet

iA09yHgNm1eIi.gif

WHAAAAAAJFVHFJHVFJVSHSFJVDJNHJDHVSNDDTTTTT NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

WHAAAAAT NOWWWW

WHAAAAAT NOWWWW

please tell maaaa

WHAAAAATTT NOOOOWWWWWWW

Here is the review you wanted

Toward the end of her turgid seventh album, Unapologetic, Rihanna sings a grim rhetorical: "What's love without tragedy?" But the real question that she and her songwriters seem to be posing on Unapologetic is, "Who is Rihanna without Chris Brown?" The album is designed to engage our perception of Rihanna the Pop Star and Rihanna the Victim, and the source of its fascination is the dissonance between the two. Its narrative, about a woman's miserable obsession with a man we know to be her abuser, flouts expectation of the traditional survivor's tale; we want to see a woman learn from that pain and leave it, not rut in it.

It was already difficult to separate Rihanna the pop icon, whom we think we know from her glamorous image and her songs, from the "real" Rihanna, whom we think know from the bruised "Robyn F." of her 2009 LAPD police report. Unapologetic courts this confusion. We see the singer as self-possessed ("Good Girl Gone Bad"), a superstar isolated by her fame ("A Girl Like Me") who is full of sexual brio ("Rude Boy"). This constructed image of power doesn't jibe with her purported rekindling with Chris Brown, who is most notable for Top 40 R&B diarrheatics, a decent MJ impression, and, infamously, beating the living **** out of Rihanna.

Much has been made of the couple's duet, "Nobody's Business", which is, unfortunately, one of Unapologetic's high points. They pledge their eternal fealty, suck face in a Lexus, and let the world know that the love between them ain't nobody's business but theirs. MYOB is a tall order when your boyfriend once had to do an apology tour that included a stop on "Larry King Live" with his mom. The song's upbeat tempo makes it a shoe-in single with cross-platform playlists in its sights; she wants everyone to get the memo. But ultimately, it's a bubbly pop tune that conjures up historical memory of women defending men who have hurt them.

The rest of the album is a synth-pop slog that plays like the companion piece of Nan Goldin's "The Ballad of Sexual Dependency". She's frozen in a relationship with a bad person and tangled in a toxic situation that feels out of her control (SOUNDS FUN, RIRI!)-- themes that are mirrored in Unapologetic's surplus of minor-key treacle. The perfunctory Ibiza thump of "Right Now" reflects badly on both her and producer David Guetta while "Fresh Off the Runway" is capitalist braggadocio (nonsense grade) so static it borders on unmusical. The Auto-Tune on Future's "Loveeeeeee Song" feature calls to a mind a dog vomiting while Rihanna, in turn, sounds like she's been roused from a medicated slumber.

Rihanna's stature has been built on undeniable singles like "We Found Love" and "The Only Girl in the World", but tracks of this caliber are nowhere to be found. Lead single "Diamonds" mixes simile, cliché, and metaphor, serving as a potent reminder that someone thought this was the best the album had to offer. Oú est ma "Umbrella"? On "Power It Up", she sounds alternately robotic and narcotized as she sings about how she's so rich she can pay for a $100 valet service and a night at the strip club and doesn't need friends. Plaintive piano ballad "Stay" is Rihanna inhabiting the post-Florence pop landscape, all chiaroscuro and natural voice. It is pretty.

The album closes with songs that are more potently disturbing than the attention-grabbing "Nobody's Business". With production from The-Dream and Carlos McKinney, Rihanna devotes nearly seven minutes-- a pop aeon-- to "Love Without Tragedy/Mother Mary", where she sings, "Who knew the course of this one drive/ Injured us fatally/ You took the best years of my life/ I took the best years of your life/ Felt like love struck me in the night/ I pray that love don't strike twice," over a riff that copies from the Police's "Message in a Bottle". It then becomes a florid song suite, mixing prayer and star-is-born autobiography. "Let's live in the moment/ As long we got each other…" she sings, pausing before the stunning "I'm prepared to die in the moment." It's a curious choice of words in a song that seems to address her life in the long shadow of her abuse: she told police that Chris Brown said he was going to kill her during the beating. The tracks that follow, "Lost in Paradise" and the awful "Get It Over With", further underscore any concern one might have for the pop star's romantic choices.

It's difficult to understand why Rihanna expects her fans to hang in this dark space with her (and Chris Brown). The album is unapologetic but it's also airless, nearly hookless, and exudes a deep melancholy. Given these qualities, it's hard not to wonder where else the album might have gone. Would it fare better if the topics were the same, but set to songs as combustible as "Don't Stop the Music"? If her pain and shame and can't-quit-you-babe motif was delivered with some humor? If she kept her personal drama to herself and sang about rolling fat joints on her bodyguard's head and did more duetting with the dude from Coldplay?

On one hand, it's tempting to give Rihanna props for broadcasting her all-too-real shortcomings. She's quite a distance from the tidy narrative we'd like, the one where she's learned from her pain and is back to doing diva triumph club stomp in the shadow of Beyoncé. Unapologetic rubs our faces in the inconvenient, messy truth of Rihanna's life which, even if it were done well, would be hard to celebrate as a success. But the measurable failure is the album's music. On a track-by-track basis, the songs make for dull labor, not worth our time and not befitting Rihanna's talent.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17369-unapologetic/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom