• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
Katy Perry is such a sweetheart. I heard about her singing with an autistic kid earlier today, but I saw a clip of the performance on TV a few minutes ago. It's so nice when our faves do good things with their time.

ibfwkOGsi8CiyX.gif

omg she's so gay i love her

Majmun

Katy Perry is such a sweetheart. I heard about her singing with an autistic kid earlier today, but I saw a clip of the performance on TV a few minutes ago. It's so nice when our faves do good things with their time.

ibfwkOGsi8CiyX.gif

Not here for a Katy and Kesha collab.

Majmun

Looks like she's increasing Rih's Carter Tax.

And wow, the Girls Aloud song is actually pretty good. Will Ten be my first GA album???

Styles

I walked through the door with you
It was cold, but something 'bout it felt like home somehow and I
Left my scarf there at your sister's house
And you still got it in your drawer even now

Oh your sweet disposition
And my wide eyed gaze
We're singing in a car getting lost upstate
The Autumn leaves falling down like pieces in their place
And I can picture it after all these days
And I know it's long gone, and that magic´s not here no more
And it might be okay, but I'm not fine at all

Cause here we are again on that little town street
You almost ran the red cause you were looking over me
Wind in my hair I was there I remember it all too well

Photo album on my counter
Your cheeks were turning red
You used to be a little kid with glasses in a twin size bed
And your mother's telling stories 'bout you on the t-ball team
You tell me about your past thinking your future was mean

And I know it's long gone, and there was nothing else I could do
And I forget about you long enough to forget why I needed to

Cause here we are again in the middle of the night
We're dancing round the kitchen in the refrigerator light
Down the stairs I was there I remember it all too well

And maybe we got lost in translation
Maybe I asked for too much
But maybe this thing was a masterpiece
´til you tore it all up
Running scared, I was there I remember it all too well

Hey you called me up again just to break me like a promise
So casually cruel in the name of being honest
I'm a crumbled up piece of paper lying here
Cause I remember it all all all too well

Time won't fly it's like I'm paralyzed by it
I´d like to be my old self again
But I'm still trying to find it
After plaid shirt days and nights when you made me your own
Now you mail back my things and I walk home alone
But your keep my old scarf from that very first week
Cause it reminds you of innocence and it smells like me
You can't get rid of it, cause you remember it all too well yeah

Cause there we are again when I loved you so
Back before you lost the one real thing you've ever known
It was where, I was there, I remember it all too well

Wind in my air you were there you remember it all
Down the stairs you were there you remember it all
It was where, I was there I remember it all too well

PERFECTION. MASTERPIECE. FLAWLESS.

iWehgjqssHChZ.gif

Majmun

You say this as though it's a surprise that a GA song slays rather than just a given.

Sound of the Underground and Biology are great. But I could't get into their other stuff.

The Greatest Hits should warm me up, I think. And I really disliked Something New during the first three or four playthroughs. But it just clicked eventually.

Without further ado, my COMPLETELY OBJECTIVE review of Halcyon:

220px-Ellie_halcyon.jpg

1. Don't Say A Word: In the plug.dj room, Artesimian reacted with disbelief when I argued that some tracks on the album are a bit "same-y." Well, this track sort of begins that pattern. It's a dreamy, enchanting tribal beat, flanked by a well-engineered vocal and a repetitive, almost lyrically bare chorus. It won't be the only song on the album that follows this basic structure. (6.5/10)

2. My Blood: A vulnerable, more raw vocal performance this time. The opening quickly brings to mind "Major Minus" for some reason. The chorus is very UK radio friendly, not sure why this wasn't chosen for radio. The music immediately creates an image in my mind and sucks me in. Great build-up with the piano and strings, and overall a quite intricate, impressive production. (8/10)

3. Anything Could Happen: Sort of a mish-mash for me. It combines many different sounds (sing-songy backtrack, tribal chant-y verses, dream-like bridge to middling effect. And it features Ellie's annoying phrasing/diction tendencies front and center. Doesn't work for me at all. (4/10)

4. Only You: One of the more "commercial" sounding tracks on the album. Reminds me of Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" (the cadence and chord progression of the chorus). As usual, it's lyrically bare to a fault (and I'm not usually a stickler for this, it's pop music after all). By the middle, I'm already bored of the song. A long four minutes. (6/10)

5. Halcyon: I'm drawn to title tracks for some reason. Tender, less over-produced than what I've heard so far, and (at least upon first listen) seems to have some meaningful lyrics. I'm sure it'll be featured as background music for a lot of commercials ("It's gonna be better...") the next couple of years. A highlight. (8.5/10)

6. Figure 8: A darker electronic mood, and I'm sure I'm missing whatever metaphor the title of the track is implying. Doesn't "Figure 8" symbolize infinity? So why does it seem like a breakup track? Builds up nicely near the end, but to be honest, it could've been so much more with a better singer to drive the drama home (drooling at Florence on this track). As it stands, it sounds like a demo track for a superior vocalist. (6/10)

7. Joy: Love the melancholic atmosphere this track inspires. The backing track is giving me "Lights" (Eri Nobuchika's "Lights") teas, and I'm hoping it doesn't predictably climax into another tribal, chanty, anthemic chorus. Unfortunately the chorus is exactly that, but the song is still redeemed by the absolutely FLAWLESS verses. Again, would've approached perfection with a more expressive vocalist. (8.5/10)

8. Hanging On: Boring and bland. Another over-produced digital turd. (3/10)

9. Explosions: Quite enjoy Ellie's vocal delivery here. Not sure why she's incapable of writing a mellow chorus though. Is she a hopeless arena rock singer in disguise? Sad how much she keeps ruining good verses with shouty yet listless choruses. (6.5/10)

10. I Know You Care: Getting worried that the album has exhausted its creative potential now. Total filler (but at least the chorus isn't offensive). (4/10)

11. Atlantis: The most intriguing song title. I love song titles that create absorbing images ("Fireflies" on GH for instance). Unfortunately, the song is the total opposite of the dreamy, fantastical soundscape I was expecting. More chipmunk verses, more background squeals, more repetitive, shouty chorus. I really can't at this point :-| (3/10)

12. Dead In the Water: Radiohead vibes in the beginning. I feel like this should be a tender, delicate vocal, and it probably would be under another singer. As it stands, another demo. (5/10)

13. I Need Your Love: The most immediately engaging first thirty seconds on the whole album. Sounds like a club-banger to me, and not surprised when I see who produced it. (8/10)

That's my assessment. Nothing as good as "Animal" or "Lights", and the few tracks with that potential are let down by poor vocal delivery or jarringly disappointing choruses. Not a great or even good album.*

OVERALL: 6/10

*But certainly worth a listen considering that one of its songs will probably be slaying your (non-UK) home country's charts in 2014. Why not get an early preview? :p

Trigger

Without further ado, my COMPLETELY OBJECTIVE review of Halcyon:

2. My Blood: A vulnerable, more raw vocal performance this time. The opening quickly brings to mind "Major Minus" for some reason. The chorus is very UK radio friendly, not sure why this wasn't chosen for radio. The music immediately creates an image in my mind and sucks me in. Great build-up with the piano and strings, and overall a quite intricate, impressive production. (8/10)

I don't think I could put it any better really.

4F8vX.gif

botty

Banned
We're sorry, you cannot join ATRL at this time. Please try again later.

Registration might open again next month. We apologize for the inconvenience. We look forward to accepting more new members at ATRL in the future. Please be patient.

7RMd1.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sound of the Underground and Biology are great. But I could't get into their other stuff.

The Greatest Hits should warm me up, I think. And I really disliked Something New during the first three or four playthroughs. But it just clicked eventually.
Listen to Something Kinda Ooh and Call the Shots and if you still aren't feeling The Almighty then hang your head in shame.

Oxx

I was watching Viva's top ten Girls Aloud videos this morning and Something Kinda Ooh was only number 2. What a joke.

Majmun

Listen to Something Kinda Ooh and Call the Shots and if you still aren't feeling The Almighty then hang your head in shame.

I dunno. I used to love the Spice Girls when I was 12-13 years old. But I don't listen to them anymore. It's not the kind of music I blast in my POPcar nowadays. Same goes with Girls Aloud.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I dunno. I used to love the Spice Girls when I was 12-13 years old. But I don't listen to them anymore. It's not the kind of music I blast in my POPcar nowadays. Same goes with Girls Aloud.
I kind of disagree tbh, GA's music is better than the Spice Girls'. It's just great pop.

Zutroy

Poll on Britney's life. It's got quite a lot of votes (although is from TMZ)

So how would you vote?

Britney's fine now - Yes (as fine as she'll ever be)
2007 -- her problem was - Mental (although both really)
Britney needs conservator for life - No
K-Fed - Bad influence
Sam Lutfi - Scumbag
Overall, Britney's parents - Helpful
Good mom now - Yes
Bigger Star - Britney
Britney's legacy - Superstar

[E] Oops, forgot screenshots come out that big from the retina

Britney's fine now - Yes.
2007 -- her problem was - Drugs. Which lead to a mental problem.
Britney needs conservator for life - No.
K-Fed - Bad influence.
Sam Lutfi - Scumbag. I forgot who he was for a bit there, lol.
Overall, Britney's parents - Helpful.
Good mom now - Yes.
Bigger Star - Britney. Weight size Christina, obvs.
Britney's legacy - Superstar.

Trigger

Britney's fine now - Yes. She ain't bald or with K-Fed
2007 -- her problem was - Mental, though drugs probably added to her issues
Britney needs conservator for life - Yes
K-Fed - Bad influence
Sam Lutfi - Scumbag
Overall, Britney's parents - Helpful
Good mom now - Yes
Bigger Star - Britney
bhuHH.gif

Britney's legacy - Superstar

Ok off topic a bit but Britpopgaf.

Is there anywhere where you can buy/view/stream/etc previous seasons of X factor? I have always been a bit obsessed with reality singing shows but ignored the brit ones....however, now I have a pile of artists I really like that were spawned from the show and would like to catch up.

xxczx

Ok off topic a bit but Britpopgaf.

Is there anywhere where you can buy/view/stream/etc previous seasons of X factor? I have always been a bit obsessed with reality singing shows but ignored the brit ones....however, now I have a pile of artists I really like that were spawned from the show and would like to catch up.
we also have the same problem. youtube is probably the only best option for clips.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Britney's parents helpful? Isn't her mum a textbook enabler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom