• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
Meanwhile TayLORD just keeps slaying more and more

mhm.gif
Is that why there was a steep decline in album and singles sales between Fearless and Speak Now, despite the latter having a higher debut week?

Signs of stagnation so early in her career. Will RED even outsell Speak Now, or will Squints continue being the equivalent of a Twilight film: increasingly more front loaded with less success in the long run?

iQvqbu5RuBp78.gif

RED is the best selling album of the year by DEFAULT

mhm.gif
Are you sure about that?

iyrrXWzH5SMMU.gif

And if Taylor did beat the I'm sure the reaction would be just the same.

"Oh her legacy is more than just a record so it doesn't matter. Taylor can have it but she's still a lesser~"
And that's the key difference between pop royalty and low fat vanilla. Godney will always have her legacy regardless of the circumstances; Squints, meanwhile, has nothing to be remembered at the moment except a dossier of cocks attached to her name.

Artemisia

Banned
Oh, a prestigious Grammy award?

uUDtX.jpg

That's not what I meant >_>

grammys always help album sales, especially ones like AOTY. Which would explain easily why Fearless sold better than Speak Now, if the fact that there is a TWO YEAR GAP between the albums wasn't enough.

Koodo

Banned
That's not what I meant >_>

grammys always help album sales, especially ones like AOTY. Which would explain easily why Fearless sold better than Speak Now, if the fact that there is a TWO YEAR GAP between the albums wasn't enough.
A small two year gap and a Grammy award does not explain a drop of three million units sold; it explains even less the drop in singles sales.

This is always a lesser argument to hide a pervasive stagnation or drop in quality; the drop could also be due to a riskier project, but then risk is a foreign word in Squints' vernacular outside of venereal diseases. Justin Timberlake had no problem selling more copies of FutureSex than Justified despite the four year gap. Guess why.

Styles

Is that why there was a steep decline in album and singles sales between Fearless and Speak Now, despite the latter having a higher debut week?

Signs of stagnation so early in her career. Will RED even outsell Speak Now, or will Squints continue being the equivalent of a Twilight film: increasingly more front loaded with less success in the long run?

iQvqbu5RuBp78.gif

Are you sure about that?

iyrrXWzH5SMMU.gif

And that's the key difference between pop royalty and low fat vanilla. Godney will always have her legacy regardless of the circumstances; Squints, meanwhile, has nothing to be remembered at the moment except a dossier of cocks attached to her name.

Facts seems to indicate otherwise.

Your pressedT-ness for Taylor runs deep.

iQvqbu5RuBp78.gif

Peru

Coming for someone's sales when they're the only act in the world regularly pushing monster numbers of albums, have expanded their appeal to a worldwide fanbase and are earning more tour money than anyone else is... desperate. But probably the only alternative left when a critically acclaimed act has released four classic albums with 15 more to come until she's doing legend tours at the age of 60. You can't go for the product so you're reaching for fiction.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
A small two year gap and a Grammy award does not explain a drop of three million units sold; it explains even less the drop in singles sales.

This is always a lesser argument to hide a pervasive stagnation or drop in quality; the drop could also be due to a riskier project, but then risk is a foreign word in Squints' vernacular outside of venereal diseases. Justin Timberlake had no problem selling more copies of FutureSex than Justified despite the four year gap. Guess why.

I am rolling because you can use this argument to discredit Gaga

iTHiYWRzGd6nU.gif

Mau ®

iQvqbu5RuBp78.gif

You'd know all about frontloaded acts with diminishing sales with each consecuent release so I'll trust your opinion on dat sis.

mhm.gif

Nevertheless the tea has been spilled. RED has slayed all yo favs.

mhm.gif

And thats the end of it

mhm.gif

Artemisia

Banned

ok let me give you more reasons.

1) Lovestory was a popular single worldwide. Top 10 in many countries. You Belong With Me was a bit more local but still had impact. Speak Now didn't have many singles that had that impact anywhere.

2) Fearless is Swift's signature album. The one most people know when they think of her music. The one with the most iconic songs on it. The one that marks the beginning of their mass mainstream success. Doesn't every artist have one of these? I don't see Born This Way EVER outselling The Fame. We won't see Rihanna ever outselling GGGB with new album. More examples: Madonna with True Blue, Alanis' Jagged Little Pill, and Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson.

Having one album that vastly outsells the rest of your work is normal. And when you have Speak Now and Red having MASSIVE first week sales, it shows that the public isn't done with her and that Fearless wasn't just a phase.

Koodo

Banned
I am rolling because you can use this argument to discredit Gaga

iTHiYWRzGd6nU.gif
Born This Way was not as well received as her previous albums, that much is obvious. It was also a much riskier project, as mentioned.

IN FACT, to entertain the notion of "context" in regard to sales, Gaga's debut numbers for an album so gay-friendly and anti-radio were more "impressive" than anything Squints managed to accomplish. Not everyone wants to cater to the taste of bigoted middle America or sell out to Max Martin for a cheap radio hit.

Only the QUEEN can still sell while giving a gigantic MIDDLE FINGER.

iboGEjCZKPX3w5.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Born This Way was not as well received as her previous albums, that much is obvious. It was also a much riskier project, as mentioned.

IN FACT, to entertain the notion of "context" in regard to sales, Gaga's debut numbers for an album so gay-friendly and anti-radio were more "impressive" than anything Squints managed to accomplish. Not everyone wants to cater to the taste of bigoted middle America or sell out to Max Martin for a cheap radio hit.

Only the QUEEN can still sell while giving a gigantic MIDDLE FINGER.

iboGEjCZKPX3w5.gif

mhmmm, I see it now, I agree

i6aOX1CJOQHFx.gif

Artemisia

Banned
more than 400k of those were on the 99c sale. The lowest price for red was 9.99 and it still sold 1.2 million.

Also, half of the american public (150 MILLION) is in favor of gay marriage, which probably means they have no problem with gaga and her "gay friendly" music. Hardly a risk anymore.

gorls some hussy is blasting the wanted outside my apartment window. what have i done to deserve this. i'm okay with my homosexuality being responsible for hurricane sandy, but THIS is just too much.

Mau ®

Rihanna will be on SNL again.

I seem to remember some heaux (prolly Koo) in OT1 claiming she'd never be invited again after she ditched rehearsals.

But once SNL couldnt wait to have her back, much like the general public does each year with her amazing music.

ibiz1aKuoUYdgM.gif

Artemisia

Banned
At least someone knows how to promo their new album.

gorls some hussy is blasting the wanted outside my apartment window. what have i done to deserve this. i'm okay with my homosexuality being responsible for hurricane sandy, but THIS is just too much.

Drop a bust on ha. then, hide it under a wheelchair.

Koodo

Banned
summary: she peaked
Did I ever say she's over? No.

Did I, however, give proof that she is selling (slaying) less and showing signs of stagnation? Yes.

Thank you for agreeing.

mhm.gif

Also, half of the american public (150 MILLION) is in favor of gay marriage, which probably means they have no problem with gaga and her "gay friendly" music. Hardly a risk anymore.
There is a world of difference between approving others having basic human rights and actually wanting anything to do with the gay community.

Actually, that poll itself might as well tell you the album alienated half of the American population just for expressing support towards the gay community.

Mau ®

Look at ITZ stanning Taylor Swift in 2009.

bu bu bu but!!! He just started bandwagoning ha for RED

ch...

EVIDENCE 1

EVIDENCE 2

EVIDENCE 3

And there's plenty more but I wouldn't want to EMBARRASS these heauxes.

All the shady cunts better offer up APOLOGIES. Ya'll know hew yew are.

mhm.gif

Artemisia

Banned
I fully accept that I didn't stan for taylor before Red. I don't see why it's a problem in the first place. Isn't that the point of promo? To gain the public's interest?

Actually, that poll itself might as well tell you the album alienated half of the American population just for expressing support towards the gay community.

There's no way you're going to tell me that Gaga's sales were hindered because of the album's message. This is no Erotica situation.

Koodo

Banned
There's no way you're going to tell me that Gaga's sales were hindered because of the album's message. This is no Erotica situation.
This isn't as severe as Erotica, but the message did hinder the album. It is not "cool" to be gay, especially in America. There is a sizable percentage of potential buyers being alienated for these pro-gay views and the perceived negative depiction of religion; this is called risk because the album is inherently shrinking the population of potential buyers and thus increasing the likelihood of selling less. In basic mathematical terms: if Born This Way attracted the interest of 10% of the American public, while The Fame Monster attracted the interest of 20% of the public, Born This Way would need to convince a much higher percentage of its potential buying population than the Fame Monster to buy the album to even match it in sales. This is why mainstream artists tend to avoid controversial topics because it cuts away potential segments of buyers and, more often than not, diminishes sales.

Artemisia

Banned
This isn't as severe as Erotica, but the message did hinder the album. It is not "cool" to be gay, especially in America. There is a sizable percentage of potential buyers being alienated for these pro-gay views and the perceived negative depiction of religion; this is called risk because the album is inherently shrinking the population of potential buyers and thus increasing the likelihood of selling less. In basic mathematical terms: if Born This Way attracted the interest of 10% of the American public, while The Fame Monster attracted the interest of 20% of the public, Born This Way would need to convince a much higher percentage of its potential buying population than the Fame Monster to buy the album to even match it in sales. This is why mainstream artists tend to avoid controversial topics because it cuts away potential segments of buyers and, more often than not, diminishes sales.

Oh when you put it that way, it is pretty clear.

I guess the opposite would be what Taylor did with Red. Attracting the interest of more Americans by releasing songs like WANEGBT and IKYWT.

It might have sold less because it sucked... Just sayin.

io9R5prpW4GCY.gif

This is a great post, and it's exactly why I have a ton of respect for Born This Way as an album release. At the height of her popularity she decided to release an album that wasn't really radio-friendly, was crassly politically charged, bordered on pretentious and preachy in most songs, and catered moreso to her cult-like fan base than the "happy middle" that is the top 40 listener. That takes a lot of balls. Britney and Rihanna's teams would have boarded them up in a den if they said they wanted to make an album that might very well sabotage their popularity momentum. I'll always respect Lady Gaga for making Born This Way and standing by her intentions with that album. Its release is a very rare, and very important pop moment.

botty

Banned
This is a great post, and it's exactly why I have a ton of respect for Born This Way as an album release. At the height of her popularity she decided to release an album that wasn't really radio-friendly, was crassly politically charged, bordered on pretentious and preachy in most songs, and catered moreso to her cult-like fan base than the "happy middle" that is the top 40 listener. That takes a lot of balls. Britney and Rihanna's teams would have boarded them up in a den if they said they wanted to make an album that might very well sabotage their popularity momentum. I'll always respect Lady Gaga for making Born This Way and standing by her intentions with that album. Its release is a very rare, and very important pop moment.

Yes, but to off set the risk was the 99c deal on Amazon. A deal that would account for nearly half of the total debut week sales.

Artemisia

Banned
Yes, but to off set the risk was the 99c deal on Amazon. A deal that would account for nearly half of the total debut week sales.

That wasn't planned for. Amazon was looking for a release to promote their cloud player, and what better to use than the most anticipated release of 2011?

Also, people off put by the message of the album probably wouldn't get it at any price.

Perhaps she and her team were willing to take a revenue loss in order to get more people to listen to the album? Which could be seen as an integrity move? The argument can be spun any which way.

Blaming a huge Amazon promotion (which cut into her profits a great deal I'd imagine) on just a thirst to have a number 1 on BILLBOARD doesn't really make that much sense to me.

Artemisia

Banned
Perhaps she and her team were willing to take a revenue loss in order to get more people to listen to the album? Which could be seen as an integrity move? The argument can be spun any which way.

Amazon took the loss. It was their decision to sell the album at a loss to promote their service.

Gaga was ready to release the album, completely aware of the risk. Isn't that a virtue? There was no plan from her management to offset the risk.

botty

Banned

Well, either way Gaga would have gone platinum anyway. I just think he debut week was fluffed by the Amazon discount.

royalan

I love you Soul sis, but I HAVE to call BS.

I think you and Koodo give Gaga waaay too much credit, and seem to be operating under the assumption that Gaga was AWARE that BTW wasn't friendly. On the contrary, I don't think she was. In fact, everything from her interviews to how the project was marketed (and how shes subsequently approaching ARTPOP) seemed to indicate that Gaga believed BTW was going to slay our lives AND radio.

I have yet to see an argument for how BTW was an Indie project in disguise that isn't completely based on hindsight.

Face it. With BTW Gaga thought she had the formula to slay our collective pussies and she didn't. Simple as.

Well, either way Gaga would have gone platinum anyway. I just think he debut week was fluffed by the Amazon discount.

In the grand scheme of things how valuable is having a single week victory for your album release? Debuts are important to track at the time but longevity is much more critical to record labels at the end of the day. And you just said it, if they were going to go platinum anyway then it's silly to assume that she went through with the promotion in order to reach platinum. Motives can run deeper than simply "wanting a number one."

I love you Soul sis, but I HAVE to call BS.

I think you and Koodo give Gaga waaay too much credit, and seem to be operating under the assumption that Gaga was AWARE that BTW wasn't friendly. On the contrary, I don't think she was. In fact, everything from her interviews to how the project was marketed (and how shes subsequently approaching ARTPOP) seemed to indicate that Gaga believed BTW was going to slay our lives AND radio.

I have yet to see an argument for how BTW was an Indie project in disguise that isn't completely based on hindsight.

Face it. With BTW Gaga thought she had the formula to slay our collective pussies and she didn't. Simple as.

Yes Ma'am!

iW3RHSTynLKx7.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Do you think Taylor would have beat Britney's record if she had the same deal?

Easily.

However, her label refused to allow Amazon to sell the album digitally so that wouldn't happen.

Sales dignity.

oprahmoved.gif

they were probably aware she had a chance at the record, and didn't want it to be stained with the caveat that some copies were sold at a tremendous discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom