• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dex

I CAN'T WAIT for RIH's sales when her record drops. Dat 250 deluxe edition... LOL

rihanna.jpg

No thanks! Especially not after talk trash flop.

Kyon

Banned
I admit that I don't know the tea on this, but I can't help but feel that Britney's sales were more impressive just due to how much more difficult it was to go out and BUY albums back then.

I mean, I get that record sales as a whole are low these days, but I can't help but wonder how much of Taylor's sales total comes from people clicking that "complete album" button on iTunes. Most of Britney's sales had to come from people getting up, going out, and buying physical copies that first week.

I think people overestimate why Pop album sales are lower these days.

I had a post ready which said pretty much THIS. Glad someone put it better than me.

I just find it hilarious cause Britney didnt have iTunes and all that shit for her sales. And the fact that she kept it for a decade. That's very impressive. Taylor's iTunes sales were 400+k I believe. Tally that off and you see what 900k?

It's funny I ALWAYS see the same excuse about albums nowadays "OMG not as great as the 2000's" but Taylor shows that you CAN still sell like that if you have an amazing PR team behind you.

The point is the "WHAT IFS" and Imaginary alternate dimensions that people come up with to justify today's low sales are not BULLSHIT.

You CAN still sell like years ago. You just gotta have smart promo.

Also Britney had 6 days to count right?

botty

Banned
I admit that I don't know the tea on this, but I can't help but feel that Britney's sales were more impressive just due to how much more difficult it was to go out and BUY albums back then.

I mean, I get that record sales as a whole are low these days, but I can't help but wonder how much of Taylor's sales total comes from people clicking that "complete album" button on iTunes. Most of Britney's sales had to come from people getting up, going out, and buying physical copies that first week.

True, but then you have to remember how easy it is to "acquire" albums these days, compared to back then. I know the army was mass distributing Red like rabbits in heat.

iQeb8yAgyT8Wc.gif

Correction, sweet girl, I FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE one song. I like several. A couple are meh. I've only heard 1 Miguel song so far so.... yeah. Keep tryin it tho.

I bet.

ibb2H8IErAEVE3.gif

Thats probably true for day 1 and week 1 sales. I think the overall decline in album sales offsets it though.

Not over the long haul though.

Kyon

Banned
True, but then you have to remember how easy it is to "acquire" albums these days, compared to back then. I know the army was mass distributing Red like rabbits in heat.

iQeb8yAgyT8Wc.gif

I bet.

ibb2H8IErAEVE3.gif

STOP affiliating 5 Stans on ATRL or twitter doing stupid shit with a WHOLE stanbase Hun
-____-

Koodo

Banned
2012 is a much easier time to be a female cuntry artist than the early 2000s.

As if Squints' unshaven cooch would have received attention during the height of Shania's popularity. Imagine the bleating pocky stick having to compete with an actually talented bitch who mattered outside America.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that: Squints could not and did not. Better luck NEXT TIME. Record books care none about how "impressive" it was.

Though I must admit, it is impressive how Squints manages to peddle utter shit to such a large audience.

Compared to now, yes, buying albums was "more difficult." But back then when all you knew was going to a record store or Walmart, it was as easy as anything else. The economy was doing fabulous, and kids had their parents extra money to go make purchases. Whomever manufactured Britney, *N Sync, The Backstreet Boys, et al. did so at the correct moment and reaped the benefits well.

Sales of all media consumables are down simply because its cheaper, and easier to steal. Back before the internet was widespread you either waited by the radio or in front of your tv for your faves music to come on, or you carried your ass down to the store when the single went on sale. (I used to have 10's of VCR tapes and Cassette tapes filled with recorded music and videos)

I believe sales are low because either people just wanna get it for free or they don't think its worth paying for. And the latter is porbably a consequence of only hyping the Britney Spears' of the music industry, and not those who are less, shall we call it, calculated.

The only part of the music biz that's suffering, is the part directly connected to record companies. Tours are/were doing so well, in fact, that record companies started honing in on an artists live show to generate revenue. A previously unheard of act.

The fact that Taylor Swift and her ilk, can move units in this day and age, is nothing to be scoffed at.

That said, Taylor Swift sucks. ;)

WTF? As far as R&B, Tyrese has been fishing for a long ass time, but you girls give his neanderthal homophobic ass too much respect. There's a reason why his music credibility went down when he started wearing more clothes.

Miguel >>>>>>> Frank Ocean. Truth.

Frank has some amazing songs but call me when he can get a critically acclaimed hit AND a mainstream hit TWO ALBUMS IN A ROW, and lets not forget Miguel had to create his own hype.

Artemisia

Banned
I wonder if soundscan is going to change Taylor's final number though.

I remember when HDD reported over a millon for Tha Carter IV, but it ended up beng recorded by soundscan that the number was somewhere above 950K.

Kyon

Banned
I wonder if soundscan is going to change Taylor's final number though.

I remember when HDD reported over a millon for Tha Carter IV, but it ended up beng recorded by soundscan that the number was somewhere above 950K.

Because that's usually how it is. Most of the time their reports are close though so there's nothing to worry about

Kyon

Banned
Hahaha.

Squints tried tho. Britney's record is intact.

It's funny. The record DOESN'T MATTER now but if she DID break the record ALL these bitches would be dragging Britney for filth they had their talons READY and SHARPENED. Now that it didnt all the "what ifs" and alternate reality opinion pieces are coming out AGAIN.

Taylors sales however STILL are very impressive so no hate here. Just the Stans starting shit that pisses me off

Styles

Not pop gaf belittling her achievement when some of their faves haven't even had a number 1 album in the US let alone debuting two back to back albums with more than 1 million+ copies sold.

Bye.

iuRBnbC6b9s0O.gif

royalan

One has to wonder what string of male celebrities she's going to use to hype up the next album to beat that record.

A Gyllenhaal and a Kennedy didn't do it...

Too bad Obama doesn't have any sons...

Has she dated a prince yet? I feel like that's next.

Trigger

lol, the Kennedy kid at best fit her aesthetic but she never needed him to slay this era.

Not pop gaf belittling her achievement when some of their faves haven't even had a number 1 album in the US let alone debuting two back to back albums with more than 1 million+ copies sold.

Bye.

Mmmhmm.

Kyon

Banned
When will Squints break Godneys record?

mhm.gif

Never

mhm.gif

When will she have the best selling album in history by a teenage artist before 20? OR more realistically OUTSELL Shania?

mhm.gif

Never in her life. She was a flop at first until she went pure pop. Deal.

mhm.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
It's funny. The record DOESN'T MATTER now but if she DID break the record ALL these bitches would be dragging Britney for filth they had their talons READY and SHARPENED. Now that it didnt all the "what ifs" and alternate reality opinion pieces are coming out AGAIN.

Taylors sales however STILL are very impressive so no hate here. Just the Stans starting shit that pisses me off

Right?

The whole week its been about the record. Now that she failed, the record doesn't natter. Right. I do agree that she slayed sales wise tho. Stans do have to keep TRYING for no reason. You can congratulate someone without dragging someone else.

Kyon

Banned
Right?

The whole week its been about the record. Now that she failed, the record doesn't natter. Right. I do agree that she slayed sales wise tho. Stans do have to keep TRYING for no reason. You can congratulate someone without dragging someone else.

But they are STILL trying to drag Britney tho. I can't @ the Failor Stans

mhm.gif

Mau ®

TayLORD's first album sold 5.5 million copies WW

mhm.gif

Godney could only DREAM of selling anything near that quantity again.

mhm.gif

And Godney has been DECREASING in sales ever since ha debut

mhm.gif

Meanwhile TayLORD just keeps slaying more and more

mhm.gif

Poor dat

mhm.gif

Kyon

Banned
When the REALITY sets in that debut sales<<<<<Overall sales sinks in y'all let me know. Then we can REALLY talk.
It will make the DECLINE in the charts even SWEETER.

mhm.gif

You will be SQUINTING @ those declining numbers are in due time

mhm.gif

Artemisia

Banned
I think it's just the nature of the music both of them make. Taylor's music will continue to sell a bunch and won't decline because the general public views it as more than just 'songs to bop to'. There is an emotional connection that fans have with her music. They find it relatable. Britney didn't and doesn't have that.

Mau ®

I can't believe InTheZone is going in on Brit like this.

Judas teas, tbh...

But am I lying?

mhm.gif

When the REALITY sets in that debut sales<<<<<Overall sales sinks in y'all let me know. Then we can REALLY talk.
It will make the DECLINE in the charts even SWEETER

It will obviously have a steep decline

mhm.gif

But the slayage has been done

mhm.gif

RED is the best selling album of the year by DEFAULT

mhm.gif

More important than sales, I think, is the fact that a lot of Taylor fans aren't feeling RED. The top review on iTunes:

TWTCY.png

Even with such a loyal Country fanbase, people are feeling let down :(

Artemisia

Banned
It's nice to see that gif I made is a HIT.

mhm.gif

More important than sales, I think, is the fact that a lot of Taylor fans aren't feeling RED. The top review on iTunes:

TWTCY.png

Even with such a loyal Country fanbase, people are feeling let down :(

the majority disagreed, but they could have been pressed stans. But the people who did agree could have been pressed haters.

No matter what, there are always stans that say that when their fave releases new music.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, I'm here for the BritBots seething, yall can keep clinging to that record since thats all thats left of your fave's career

ny-entrance.gif

Artemisia

Banned
It's funny. The record DOESN'T MATTER now but if she DID break the record ALL these bitches would be dragging Britney for filth they had their talons READY and SHARPENED.

And if Taylor did beat the I'm sure the reaction would be just the same.

"Oh her legacy is more than just a record so it doesn't matter. Taylor can have it but she's still a lesser~"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom