• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Ok lets get somethings straight

Born This Way was promoted to high heavens and was expected to sell 20+M (according to someone in Interscope)
225223_10150196619219574_10376464573_6664507_5967058_n.jpg

The hype probably went over everyone's head including Gaga's and her haters(who seem to not recognize that its a good album because they were expecting the holly grail). The Fame Monster era slayed so hard that BTW seemed like a sure hit. But mismanagement, a huge ego, and turnoffs ended up hazing the era. From the moment Judas was released it was clear Gaga(or Interscope) thought of herself as unstoppable and that the public would eat anything she throws out because she is Gaga.... and now here we are with ARTPOP having 2 versions in order to please her experimental and chart performance side

Mau ®

Born This Way was promoted to high heavens and was expected to sell 20+M (according to someone in Interscope)

The hype probably went over everyone's head including Gaga's and her haters(who seem to not recognize that its a good album because they were expecting the holly grail). The Fame Monster era slayed so hard that BTW seemed like a sure hit. But mismanagement, a huge ego, and turnoffs ended up hazing the era. From the moment Judas was released it was clear Gaga(or Interscope) thought of herself as unstoppable and that the public would eat anything she throws out because she is Gaga.... and now here we are with ARTPOP having 2 versions in order to please her experimental and chart performance side

Pretty much this tbh.

Kyon

Banned
The thing that most made me laugh about the BTW era is that Gaga seemed to fall for her manager/label touting that they sold 8 mill. I'm still laughing because of the fact that she tweeted the number of albums that she DIDNT sell and the fact that she always says she doesn't care about sales or money yet she goes ahead and does that.

I love Gaga with my life but I don't like hypocrites. I call out all my faves on their shit.

Now I'm gonna sit because ARTPOP will DESTROY my spirit and slay my earbuds. I should hibernate like Mari sis tbh

Styles

IIt's official: Taylor Swift's "Red" sold a whopping 1.208 million copies last week in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. That's more than any album has sold in a single week since 2002, when Eminem's "The Eminem Show" sold 1.322 million in its first full week at No. 1 on the Billboard 200.

"Red" also easily debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, scoring Swift her third chart-topper.

"Red" is only the 18th album to sell a million units in a single week since SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991. Its start ranks as the eighth-biggest sales week in that span of time. The SoundScan-era record week is held by NSync's "No Strings Attached," when it debuted at No. 1 with 2.416 million in 2000.

Swift's sizzling start is also the second-largest sales frame for a female artist. Only Britney Spears had a bigger week, when "Oops! . . . I Did It Again" sold 1.319 million in its debut in 2000.

As we projected last week, the blockbuster set marks the first album to move a million copies in a week since May of 2011, when Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" blasted in with 1.108 million in its No. 1 debut. However, "Red's" number is a bit bigger than the 1.100 million that had been forecasted by industry sources.

"Red" also makes Swift the only woman to have two million-selling weeks since SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991. The country/pop star earlier earned a million week when her last studio release, 2010's "Speak Now," launched with 1.047 million.

Swift and her "Red" set were inescapable last week, following the album's off-cycle release on Monday, Oct. 22. (Most albums bow on Tuesday each week.) The singer appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" (Oct. 22 and 23), CBS' "The Late Show With David Letterman" (23), ABC's "The View" (24), "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" (25), ABC's "Katie" and "20/20" (26). Her album was available in locations such as Starbucks, Walgreens (where she had her own dedicated mini-store in each outlet) and Papa John's Pizza.

How Taylor Swift's 'Red' Is Getting A Boost From Branding Mega-Deals

Further, Target scored the only deluxe version of "Red" with additional audio content (three bonus songs and three remixes), while the iTunes Store was the exclusive digital retailer of the title last week.

Business Matters: Why Taylor Swift's 'Red' is Absent From Subscription Services

Label sources indicate that iTunes sold nearly 465,000 copies of the album -- a record sales week for an iTunes album. Target rang up around 396,000 on its own -- again, a record for the retailer. Swift's unique deal with Papa John's yielded a meaty 8,000 copies of "Red." While that number looks small compared to Target and iTunes, to put it in perspective, it's almost half of the total "Red" CDs sold via Amazon.com. Papa John's sold the CD for $13 and also as part of large one-topping pizza combo for $22. (Large single-topping pizzas on their own sell for $12.) Swift's face was also plastered across the top of Papa John's pizza boxes, so even if customers didn't buy the album, they were certainly aware of it existing.

Impressively, "Red" was able to secure a million-selling week without any deep-discount sale pricing: The lowest that the album was advertised for among all major retailers last week was $9.99. That was the price point for the standard edition of the album at Target and Best Buy, while iTunes offered it for $14.99. Kmart and Walmart sold it for $12.99 and $13.99, respectively. Target touted its exclusive deluxe version for $14.99.

"Red's" lack of low pricing stands in contrast to the last album that did a million in a week: Lady Gaga's "Born This Way." That set's 1.108 million first week was fueled partly by Amazon MP3 opting to sell the album for 99 cents on two separate days during its release week. ("Red," however, was only available as a digital album via iTunes, leaving Amazon MP3 -- and any possible discounting -- out of the picture.)
Read more at http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indus...hE24lQoyTaq.99

fullpriced1m2tkkk.gif

deadbanana2_zps5b24bcee.gif

Koodo

Banned
I love you Soul sis, but I HAVE to call BS.

I think you and Koodo give Gaga waaay too much credit, and seem to be operating under the assumption that Gaga was AWARE that BTW wasn't friendly. On the contrary, I don't think she was. In fact, everything from her interviews to how the project was marketed (and how shes subsequently approaching ARTPOP) seemed to indicate that Gaga believed BTW was going to slay our lives AND radio.

I have yet to see an argument for how BTW was an Indie project in disguise that isn't completely based on hindsight.

Face it. With BTW Gaga thought she had the formula to slay our collective pussies and she didn't. Simple as.
She could have still slayed lives and radio with a diminished population of potential buyers compared to The Fame Monster, the album was just not well received enough to accomplish this. I don't think anyone is arguing that BTW alienated so many people that it could be categorized as indie, but it wasn't a typical mainstream friendly album. Compare it to the output of her peers like Perra, Rihanus, Kesha, et al, and Born This Way is a project that is several orders of magnitude more polemic.

While Gaga tends to be deluded towards her own work, she seemed aware early on that this album was going to be off putting to some. The problem with Gaga is that she kept touting the album as ushering in a new cultural revolution, which was a hysterical proposition in hindsight; however, this doesn't mean the album was not intended to be polemic and that it did not purposefully avoid current trends.

royalan

I agree with this, but I'm not a hater. I accept the fact that BTW was still a successful era, she still sold millions of records and is now on a sold out world tour. It's just that, as you pointed out,even considering all that BTW did not meet the expectations of the label, the fans, and Gaga herself. And I think it's a little dishonest to try and claim that was the plan the whole time.

Ch...no it fucking wasn't. Gaga and Interscope thought that BTW was going to eat the world for lunch and be forever etched on the cockring of history as the greatest thing to come out of this generation, and the world said "Trick please. We want ADELE." In response.

I agree with this, but I'm not a hater. I accept the fact that BTW was still a successful era, she still sold millions of records and is now on a sold out world tour. It's just that, as you pointed out,even considering all that BTW did not meet the expectations of the label, the fans, and Gaga herself. And I think it's a little dishonest to try and claim that was the plan the whole time.

Ch...no it fucking wasn't. Gaga and Interscope thought that BTW was going to eat the world for lunch and be forever etched on the cockring of history as the greatest thing to come out of this generation, and the world said "Trick please. We want ADELE." In response.

Koo said what I tried to articulate but couldn't, but I'm glad you agree. Yes she fell under the avalanche of her own hype, but propositioning people by saying the album was going to be the best of the decade had nothing to do with how the final product stands on its own.

In a similar way that Bionic has been tarred and feathered moreso for the symbolism of its incredible commercial failure than the content of its character, Born This Way tends to be dismissed moreso for failing to live up to Gaga's words than for how the songs stand on their own. The album is really quite good (and commercially successful, especially given its less approachable content), and I think if we took away any outside context POP-GAF would pay it a similar kind of respect they would for some of Janelle Monae's work (i.e. definitively pop, but not necessarily top 40 friendly).

Koo showed one example of Gaga talking up Born This Way as an album that would piss people off, and I heard much more of THAT kind of talk from her than things like "album of the decade", etc. Yeah she hyped it up quite a bit, mostly during her concerts and around fans, but she kept up the "bitterness" rhetoric and the warning signs about its heavy political leanings that made it obvious that the album will most likely be polarizing and possibly poorly-received.

In a similar way that Bionic has been tarred and feathered moreso for the symbolism of its incredible commercial failure than the content of its character, Born This Way tends to be dismissed moreso for failing to live up to Gaga's words than for how the songs stand on their own. The album is really quite good (and commercially successful, especially given its less approachable content), and I think if we took away any outside context POP-GAF would pay it a similar kind of respect they would for some of Janelle Monae's work (i.e. definitively pop, but not necessarily top 40 friendly).

I know you're serious... but are you serious?

iQux7Bj8NAOrH.gif

Kyon

Banned
Who was my bandwagon fave of the moment when everyone was dragging MIA and Ellie?

Exactly.

legendtinahpkcg.gif

Who was the FIRST and ONLY one that brought up breaking Britney's record and PRAYED that Taylor broke it?

Oh.

Remain seated.

legendtinahpkcg.gif

The BritBots cant take the truth so they throw a tantrum about decade old transcripts that are no longer relevant

icEiBjHuE6CMs.gif

Did you also forget that Taylor couldn't beat a 12 year old album?

Well I'm here to REMIND you

icEiBjHuE6CMs.gif

botty

Banned
Beyonke is working with Miguel:

RT
@marius_
UEpEH.jpg

After her album 4lop, Beyonce knows she has to come back with a hot track... and who better than to work with Miguel.

Hopefully she doesn't work with Frank Ocean again, who is probably the cause of her flopping with 4. Being in the vicinity of Frank Ocean was clearly detrimental to Beyonce's career. Although, Miguel does exude talent, and will balance out Frank Ocean's cancerous radiation if he does show up.

Frank Ocean is probably the reason Beyonce began bleaching her skin. Look at how dark Bernard looks in this picture:

7NjMY.jpg

The smell of sweat, trash, and semen that excretes from his pores must have rubbed against her at some point, leaving her in an unbearable state of grime. One that could not be scrubbed away with just soap, and water.

Beyonce's new album is ALREADY superior to 4 by default. Can't wait to hear the lead single.

legendtinahpkcg.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom