• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
Happy Halloween Pop Gaf

halloweenfrank2fhe7a.gif

Trigger

lol, that's a boring way to spend your day, but it makes for a funny story for the grandchildren.

I can't with Botty's gif.

3eWmm.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned

What kind of similar story?

Not ER similar, but went out this weekend, and it was so much DRAMA. Seriously could have been an episode of a reality show. You would think that since the whole point of going out is to have fun that people wouldn't have any drama, but there it was. I just don't get it. And at that, it was grown men. All the females were fine. #icouldnt.

Mau ®

The Rih promo begins
-------------

"777 Tour" Press release:

RIHANNA READIES NOVEMBER TAKEOVER!

“777 TOUR” PREPARES TO LAUNCH ON NOVEMBER 14: ‘RIHANNA NAVY’ SUPERFANS AND MEDIA REPRESENTING 82 COUNTRIES WORLDWIDE TO BOARD 777 JET TO 7 SHOWS IN 7 DAYS IN 7 COUNTRIES

UNAPOLOGETIC, RIHANNA’s 7th ALBUM IN JUST 7 YEARS RELEASED ON MONDAY, NOV. 19; DELUXE PRE-ORDERS ON SALE TODAY AT RIHANNANOW.COM; iTUNES PREORDER LAUNCHES NOV. 6

PLATINUM FIRST SINGLE “DIAMONDS” IS TOP 5 AT RADIO

Worldwide superstar Rihanna, currently dominating global charts with "Diamonds," the fastest-rising single of her career to date, and the first single from UNAPOLOGETIC, her upcoming 7th studio album for Island Def Jam in just seven years - arriving in stores worldwide on Monday, November 19th - now announces the launch of her unprecedented "777" tour on Nov. 14th.

A group of die-hard fans from the Rihanna Navy fan club and a traveling international press corps of over 150 journalists representing 82 countries will be taken aboard a chartered Boeing 777 twinjet to 7 shows in 7 days in 7 countries. Working with global sponsor, HTC Corporation, the "777 Tour" will host an intimate gig in each of 7 cities—including one in the UK co-sponsored by River Island — marching toward the November 19th release date of UNAPOLOGETIC.

To commemorate the arrival of UNAPOLOGETIC, two different Limited Edition D2C deluxe box sets are up for pre-sale to members of the Rihanna Navy, exclusively at the RihannaNow.com website: the DIAMONDS BOX and the DIAMONDS EXECUTIVE PLATINUM BOX, carrying amazing never-before-released Rihanna images, art and custom-made accessories. UNAPOLOGETIC will go up for pre-order at iTunes on November 6th.

Meanwhile, "Diamonds," with 94 million combined radio audience in the U.S. (Greatest Gainer/Streaming & Airplay), jumps to #5 on the Hot 100, to become Rihanna's 23rd Top 10 hit on the chart. "Diamonds" debuted four weeks ago with #1 postings at iTunes in 27 countries, and Top 5 iTunes in 55 countries. On November 10th, Rihanna will perform 'Diamonds' on the Saturday Night Live stage, her fourth time as musical guest.

Rihanna – the "#1 Person On Facebook" with over 62 million Likes – has sold over 37 million albums and 146 million digital tracks worldwide, and currently holds the record as the top-selling digital artist of all time. The recipient of six Grammy Awards® and seven Billboard Music Awards, she was named the world's #1 social media star by Forbes, with over 2.9 billion views on YouTube/VEVO, the most ever for any female artist, and over 26 million Twitter followers. In addition to her 11 Hot 100 #1 singles and [now] 23 Top 10 singles, she also has 18 #1 singles on the Billboard Dance Club Song Charts.

_______

Brought to you by the #NuNavy

tumblr_mce7ojFk6G1r1vyiko1_500.gif

CRS

Learning T flip-flops (aka flops) in my digital design class today. Pop-GAF was the first thing that came to mind.

Trigger

I honestly can't telll when Lana intends to pout or not now. Music is still good tho.

Learning T flip-flops (aka flops) in my digital design class today. Pop-GAF was the first thing that came to mind.

#2012POP-GAFMentalDomination

botty

Banned
Rolling Stone drags Gaga and Madonna for filth.

Show made its debut with 1.322 million in sales. Red actually beat expectations, selling 1.208 million copies, without any sales tricks such as Lady Gaga's 99-cent Amazon deal or Madonna's bundling of albums and concert tickets.

My theory is that today's record industry contains exactly two stars who can sell millions of albums at a time – Taylor Swift and Adele. Which may be the ultimate legacy of the crippling MP3 revolution – that the world can have only a couple of Britney-circa-2000 stars at a time. My alternate theory is that for all the whining about the Internet, maybe there just haven't been that many great, culture-dominating, giant-pop-star records over the past decade.

sauce.

Did they lie?

legendtinahpkcg.gif

SaintZ

I want to address this belief:

Lana has always said that her lips are real. In an old interview, she said that she always put Cayenne pepper on her lips when she's nervous. Cayenne pepper can swell your lips.

I believe ha and I believe the Cayenne pepper theory.
I luv ha but I'm not sure she hasn't done anything to her lips tbh. In interviews they do look more normal but idk, she barely had any upper lip during the Lizzy Grant days.

Sai-kun

Banned
For Halloween, I'm going as an unironic Rihanna fan. I'm just gonna play We Found Love on repeat all day. Have a good one, y'all!

royalan

Roy, have you seen this interview?

Xtina is so real.
and so shady

iWTbI6OaY5qSf.gif

Girl, watching now tbh. She's so cute in interviews.

Speaking of Xtina, tho. The first review of Lotus is out. From Entertainment Weekly. C-

You say you want a revolution? Good news! Christina Aguilera has already armed the battle-clones for war on ''Army of Me,'' one of many thundering self-empowerment anthems on her fifth studio album, Lotus. ''There's a thousand faces of me,'' she hollers. ''And we're gonna rise up.../For every time you wronged me/Well, you're gonna face an army, army of me.'' Which begs the question: Rise up against whom? Is the whole world really out to get her, or is this just an excuse to wear camouflage hot pants?

If it sounds like Aguilera is in self-defense mode, that's not a surprise. Since she released her 2010 clunker, Bionic, she's gotten divorced, dodged tomatoes for her big-screen performance in Burlesque, and rebounded as a coach on NBC's The Voice. But her mixed messages are too often unintentionally funny. After inviting America to ''turn down the hate'' on ''Make the World Move,'' an electro-soul duet with Voice costar Cee Lo Green, she spends the sassy kiss-off ''Circles' telling her enemies to ''spin around in circles on my middle, middle finger.'' And getting behind the bouncy peace-flag-waver ''Let There Be Love'' is difficult when there's a bonus track called ''Shut Up'' that invites the haters to ''suck my d---.''

Backed by megaproducers Max Martin, Shellback, and Lucas Secon, and boosted by The Voice, Lotus should have been Aguilera's mainstream pop comeback. Occasionally she can still power through a chorus like a Russian weight lifter (see: ''Sing for Me''). Too bad most of these tracks digitally smother her voice, draining all the emotion until she just sounds bitter. It's unclear whom she's mad at here. But somehow Lotus makes you want to root for the other guy. C-

I hate this review. Not because the writer gave Lotus a bad score (not everyone's going to like Lotus, whatevs). But this review spends so much time talking about everything BUT the actual music that it comes off as more of a criticism of Xtina than her music. It reminds me of some of the Stripped-era reviews that were just frankly nasty opinion pieces about Xtina's image with maybe one sentence spent on the actual content of the album.

Oh well...

Aguila

#ICONIC
I luv ha but I'm not sure she hasn't done anything to her lips tbh. In interviews they do look more normal but idk, she barely had any upper lip during the Lizzy Grant days.

Maybe the time between her Lizzy Grant and Lana Del Rey days was so stressful the she put on more Cayenne pepper than usual
nULmZ.png

Trigger

Speaking of Xtina, tho. The first review of Lotus is out. From Entertainment Weekly. C-

I hate this review. Not because the writer gave Lotus a bad score (not everyone's going to like Lotus, whatevs). But this review spends so much time talking about everything BUT the actual music that it comes off as more of a criticism of Xtina than her music. It reminds me of some of the Stripped-era reviews that were just frankly nasty opinion pieces about Xtina's image with maybe one sentence spent on the actual content of the album.

Oh well...

It's a problem a lot of reviewers have. They try to start the review by writing in the context of the artist's career and life but fail to connect that to the music.

Majmun

Lol at the Frank Ocean hate again. Botty seems to be more pressed than Rihanna's pillow.

Talking about Rihanna...what's this #NuNavy thing? A newly formed group that's going to contribue to the CarterTax?

I like it

imaGbPxabdtVT.gif

Rolling Stone drags Gaga and Madonna for filth.

sauce.

Did they lie?

legendtinahpkcg.gif

Its legit....but for different reasons.

Adele and Taylors success in album sales has a lot to do with their demographics. Adele appeals to many older people who would not be downloading individual songs so buy the album. Taylor still has country roots and the sales of county albums have not fallen nearly as rapidly as pop album sales.

I wouldn't call either significantly bigger than Gaga.

Of course Madonna is irrelevant in today's industry so not sure why she is brought up other than her absurd bundling tricks with the tickets.

Kyon

Banned
Lol at the Frank Ocean hate again. Botty seems to be more pressed than Rihanna's pillow.

Talking about Rihanna...what's this #NuNavy thing? A newly formed group that's going to contribue to the CarterTax?

I like it

imaGbPxabdtVT.gif

Sis the point of NuNavy is to Stan for sales and success. Not BUYING anything. Non Profitable cause/Pro Bono.

Abort

Mau ®

Sis the point of NuNavy is to Stan for sales and success. Not BUYING anything. Non Profitable cause/Pro Bono.

Abort

On the contrary the #NuNavy will deepen The Carter Family's pockets in a way the old, lesser #Navy never could.

And since the lesser #Navy pupulation in POP GAF has decreased to about 1... I can say we're a far more profitable group tbh.

imaGbPxabdtVT.gif

Oh well...

:(

It doesn't come off like the writer is out to get her personally with nothing under the context of having listened to the album though. It sounds like the songs on the album give off a vibe that she's angry or stuck on a single message. Having not heard it though, I can't speak for how true the criticism is. Though I can understand how someone who isn't a POP-GAF member might listen to a slew of songs with Christina talking about how she's a victim and think "this bitch is self-absorbed." *shrug*

Just let me at Lotus, hunties. My review will be SCATHINGLY objective.

royalan

:(

It doesn't come off like the writer is out to get her personally with nothing under the context of having listened to the album though. It sounds like the songs on the album give off a vibe that she's angry or stuck on a single message. Having not heard it though, I can't speak for how true the criticism is. Though I can understand how someone who isn't a POP-GAF member might listen to a slew of songs with Christina talking about how she's a victim and think "this bitch is self-absorbed." *shrug*

Just let me at Lotus, hunties. My review will be SCATHINGLY objective.

It does though. :(

For starters she tells us very little about what the album actually sounds like (outside of that "electro-soul" descriptor for "Make The World Move"), which is the biggest failure of this review.

She only mentions 5 of the songs (conveniently the ones that suit her point about Christina being bitter) and makes no mention of the other 12 songs on this 17 track album.

She also falsely credits this album to Max Martin and his production team. But Max Martin only produced two of the tracks from Lotus. If you're to credit the overall tone of Lotus to anyone, it would have to be Alex Da Kid (and Candice Pilay), who is behind seven tracks on the album (including the heavily rumored, practically confirmed at this point second single "Red Hot Kinda Love"). But this flop review makes absolutely no mention of him or RHKL.

Perhaps the most telling indicator of the laziness behind this review is the fact that this writer USUALLY ends her reviews with a pick for best and worst song. She doesn't here.

To me, it sounds like this reviewer listened to the tracks played at the listening party they had a few days ago, and wrote this review in the cab on the way to work this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom