• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

Pretty sure its over for the Lotus era. The song has already been promoted to tepid results and radio is not really picking it up. I doubt a video would do much for it.

Barring a big promo slot (say... The Grammy's) I think its over.

Yes, deliver the Fatters to the wake. That coffin is just about ready to be buried.

so even if IKYWT tops itunes and radio for a whole week, it won't be number 1?

fuck billboard.

Too big of an airplay gap to overcome lack of streaming.....thats the way it has always worked.. If it favored sales Psy would have had 5/6 weeks at #1 instead of 0.

Do you REALLY want that?

Artemisia

Banned
uh, its not billboard's fault, its Taylor's co for being greedy

streaming is the future

Being greedy is wanting people to own your music?
alexis.gif

royalan

Quoted to repeat the fact that Just A Fool is about a week away from being pulled from radio completely.

Not while it's getting positive updates sis. :) With the exception of yesterday, it was one of the few songs to not get a negative Christmas update. *.*

It really is. More artists will need to understand that.

Probably.

I can understand the fear though. Streaming brings in virtually no money for artists......

If the industry is moved to a model where the ONLY source of income is touring it will be bad for everyone.

Mau ®

so even if IKYWT tops itunes and radio for a whole week, it won't be number 1?

fuck billboard.

It would need to have a HUGE advantage on digital or/and radio to get to #1 if there's no streaming.

We Are Never Ever got to #1 mostly on monstrous digital sales and a great radio performance. I think sales for IKYWT will be more steady hence why I think streaming is of the utmost importance for a #1 this time.

I dont see whats the problem in putting up THE SINGLES for streaming. I get why they dont wanna release the album on it. Its respectable. But if they wanna make people buy the album they still need to show the singles.

Artemisia

Banned
It would need to have a HUGE advantage on digital or/and radio to get to #1 if there's no streaming.

We Are Never Ever got to #1 mostly on monstrous digital sales and a great radio performance. I think sales for IKYWT will be more steady hence why I think streaming is of the utmost importance for a #1 this time.

I dont see whats the problem in putting up THE SINGLES for streaming. I get why they dont wanna release the album on it. Its respectable. But if they wanna make people buy the album they still need to show the singles.

oh, that makes sense. I agree that the singles should be up. They could even put them up during the peak only and remove it as the song begins to descend.

Eh I still think we are going to see a move away from streaming by the big labels......similar to the Netflix phenomenon where its selection now sucks because it makes no money.

Mau ®

Probably.

I can understand the fear though. Streaming brings in virtually no money for artists......

If the industry is moved to a model where the ONLY source of income is touring it will be bad for everyone.

What I've read on streaming services is that the money will go to the artists (more like their labels) that people are ACTUALLY willingly listening to.

So say you pay a $10 charge per month for a streaming service and you listen to the following artists in these percentages:

70% One Direction
20% The Wanted (kiiii :p )
10% Lana del Rey

Basically $7 will go to One Direction's label, $2 will go to The Wanted's label and $1 to Lana's label. This, of course, does not take into account other important costs (server fees, streaming service company share, etc).

I think its a very fair model but obviously business is never fair.

What I've read on streaming services is that the money will go to the artists (more like their labels) that people are ACTUALLY willingly listening to.

So say you pay a $10 charge per month for a streaming service and you listen to the following artists in this percentages:

70% One Direction
20% The Wanted (kiiii :p )
10% Lana del Rey

Basically $7 will go to One Direction's label, $2 will go to The Wanted's label and $1 to Lana's label. This, of course, does not take into account other important costs (server fees, streaming service company share, etc).

I think its a very fair model but obviously business is never fair.

Maybe.

I just remember reading an article about S Korea (which is dominating by streaming&piracy) where it has gotten to the point that the ONLY way to make profit is through endorsements. I don't want to get to that point here.

Netflix selection sucks? Could have fooled me.
That weed treating you well. Its TV show selection is ok. Its movies are a pile of pure reeking shit.....especially new releases.

Bladenic

Maybe.

I just remember reading an article about S Korea (which is dominating by streaming&piracy) where it has gotten to the point that the ONLY way to make profit is through endorsements. I don't want to get to that point here.

That weed treating you well. Its TV show selection is ok. Its movies are a pile of pure reeking shit.....especially new releases.

Lol what the hell are you talking about? Even if you're not happy with the streaming selection, Netflix is more successful now than ever. You tried.

I think the struggle with streaming is an interesting problem for the music industry. Lots of stuffy old suits running those companies. I don't know how easily they'll come around to the idea of people listening to artists, but never buying the albums.

It has yet to prove profitable to the point where it can be a viable alternative.

Why SHOULD stuffy old suites invest in a system that pays them dust?

Lol what the hell are you talking about? Even if you're not happy with the streaming selection, Netflix is more successful now than ever. You tried.

You just making shit up now.

Netflix's problems with selection and profitability have been all over the news in the last year.

Bladenic

I hate floptina's stans ,they started all ,i was a kind of pro christina ,she wasn't my fav singer but i supported her because she was always the loser and the bad one so i felt sorry for her ,but after seeing all the crap that her fans say about britney i just decided to give them their own medicine :)

Cannot breathe.

Trigger

It has yet to prove profitable to the point where it can be a viable alternative.

Why SHOULD stuffy old suites invest in a system that pays them dust?

I don't expect them to jump on the bandwagon quicker, but I'm not sure how music listeners will feel about top artists avoiding streaming services. It's becoming so much easier to pirate albums now. I'm interested to see how it all plays out.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I can't breathe. You are welcome to my funeral if I die tonight.

Damn you Vomitina Agipuerca. OMG LOL
198274_157934040929700_135256419864129_340631_4384802_n.jpg

I don't expect them to jump on the bandwagon quicker, but I'm not sure how music listeners will feel about top artists avoiding streaming services. It's becoming so much easier to pirate albums now. I'm interested to see how it all plays out.

That I will agree with. It will be interesting.

Though I am not sure streaming discourages piracy. It has been incredibly easy to pirate albums for years now....I don't think those people will come back from free ownership of album in exchange for paid streaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom