• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.
ScreenShot2012-12-17at53836PM_zps4083bea0.png

Previous Entries:
Albums 50-41
Albums 40-31
Albums 30-21

20 -- MONKEY BUSINESS, Black Eyed Peas (2005)

Shepard%20Fairey%20BlackEyedPeas-MonkeyBusiness.jpg

It’s hard to believe that The Black Eyed Peas, in their current form, were once in such a place that Monkey Business was considered a “lukewarm” release to critics. Hindsight is 20/20 however, and looking back at this pop-funk party album, one can’t deny that Monkey Business has a certain energy and spirit that very few modern albums have managed to emulate. While their first mainstream album (Elephunk) holds more credence to old Black Eyed Peas fans, it’s Monkey Business that channels the creative pop created in Elephunk and pumps it back out through a megaphone. The album is absolutely self-aware in its more ironic material (“My Humps,” in all its ineptness, is still a genius parody song) and one has to give the band a lot of credit for understanding where they stand in the pop vernacular. Leaving your expectations at home, you can dive into Monkey Business’ diverse tracks and end up feeling great about yourself. It’s inspiring in its un-inspiredness, and as a listener you can’t help but feel that the artists were having an absolute blast making this behind the scenes. The Black Eyed Peas had a distinct style and swagger that met its peak with Monkey Business, and it’s too bad that they ended up grasping on to the coat-tails of electronica, only to drop down with it into the abyss.

Brightest moments: My Style, Pump It, Don’t Phunk With My Heart

19 -- THE REMINDER, Feist (2007)

22.jpg

It’s hard to get terribly excited about an album like The Reminder, which goes out of its way to treat the listener as casually as possible. But the muted brilliance of The Reminder is that it finds loud and boisterous charm in so silent a package. Tracks like “1234” are unabashedly whimsical and do a phenomenal job of lowering the listener’s guard before diving a bit deeper into the record. “Sea Lion Woman” is confoundedly intriguing, and its forceful thematics will seem lost on the casual listener. Songs like “I Feel It All” trail along with absolutely gorgeous chord progressions that evoke a sense of happiness unrivaled in most records. There’s a great sense of humility coming from the artist throughout the record; it’s like the listener wants to push Feist to let herself go a bit more, and with every track that gets a bit louder and pop-ish, the listener gets more and more drawn to her world. Overall, The Reminder is hardly a revolutionary record within its sub-genre, but it’s an impeccably well done project that glistens from start to finish, and its spirit and soul oozes with charm all the way throughout. One of the most likable albums, well, ever.

Brightest moments: I Feel It All, 1234, My Moon My Man

18 -- THE FAME MONSTER, Lady Gaga (2009)

gff.bmp

The re-entrance of Lady Gaga is one that most other pop icons would have dreamt of crafting. Infectious hooks, stupidly smart chord progressions, and an eclectic mix of songs that force the listener to both take her seriously and not seriously at all. For such a short album, there is a sort of hugeness that’s felt in the sledge-hammering productions and Gaga’s husky but seductive vocals. The album inspired pop acts to simply aim higher with their re-emergence, and the success of “Bad Romance” is as much a social anomaly as it is undeniably expected. Lady Gaga has moments of complete genius in The Fame Monster, and the elegantly poetic verses on “Alejandro” could even make us wonder whether Lady Gaga operates on a higher intellectual plane than her listeners. Those moments are counter-acted by shallower fare like “Telephone” and “Teeth,” two stupidly addicting bangers that remind us that Lady Gaga understands her pop boundaries. It’s an album where the listener can be blown away by its content but is still convinced that the artist can easily top it. While hardly a revolutionary record, The Fame Monster is simply an example of how a “less is more” approach, coupled with a masterful level of charisma, can make for an untouchable pop moment.

Brightest moments: Alejandro, Monster, Bad Romance

17 -- JUSTIFIED, Justin Timberlake (2003)

itunesmusic-justified.jpg

The royal duke of pop-R&B flaunts his talents and likability in a record that’s probably worth less than the sum of its parts, if only because the individual tracks on Justified stand out as consistent, vibrant, and brilliant. You can’t help but feel charmed by Timberlake’s advances in songs like “Senorita,” which channel alternative pop-soul so effortlessly. The smash “Rock Your Body” is of course one of the album highlights, with its timelessly catchy chord progressions and fresh vocals. The album is like a well-organized tour through the layered talents of the artist, and its itinerary ensures that every possible pop niche gets conquered, slain and skinned by Timberlake’s ridiculously sharp charisma and eye for detail. There is a greater deal of soul and heart in Justified than in its successor, and it’s obvious that Justin Timberlake has a fundamental understanding of how to channel an attractive sell that can get unbridled attention from straight women and gay men. He’s an untouchable force in music and the fact is exemplified in the effortlessness of Justified. It’s too bad that Justin Timberlake doesn’t seem to need pop music the same way pop music needs him.

16 -- LOVE, ANGEL, MUSIC, BABY, Gwen Stefani (2004)

Gwen_Stefani_-_Love.Angel.Music.Baby_[Front].jpg

Consider the facts: Following an upward trajectory of success for No Doubt, Gwen Stefani decides to ditch the band’s momentum and create a series of pop records through her own name. Instead of putting a stop-gap into No Doubt’s relevance by focusing on an alt-pop sound that would diffuse No Doubt fans into her solo camp, she does a complete 180 and finds a voice in a new genre, leaving her band’s legacy (and future prospects) unscathed. It’s an incredibly bold gesture that we don’t see much of, and while a singer like Fergie went a bit bubblier in her one solo stint, she still relied heavily on the production and stylings of Will.I.Am to stay huddled under that umbrella. Gwen scatters off into the world of pristine art-pop that struts the fine line between tongue-in-cheekery and bold avante-garde sound. Love, Angel, Music, Baby doesn’t take itself terribly seriously, and the songs on the album generally paint a colorful, surrealist picture that’s easy on the ears and immensely satisfying for pop fans. Every song on L.A.M.B is unimaginatively charming, and iconic pop moments like “What You Waiting For” are riddled with esoteric lyrics that are smarter than they appear. The intelligence of L.A.M.B is not in spite of its two-inches-deep lyricism, but it’s the way Gwen Stefani channels shallow-sounding lyrics with a wink and a nudge that seem to insinuate something more. And that’s the finest way to describe a record like this: It’s a (flawless) pop event, but it’s worth so much more than most of its peers. Gwen manages to find pop nirvana consistently through L.A.M.B, and its archetype will no doubt be used as a model for high quality pop down the road.

Brightest moments: What You Waiting For, Rich Girl, Hollaback Girl   

15 -- BODY TALK, Robyn (2010)

4508.gif

If you want to listen to one of the most balanced examples of modern, contemporary pop music, look no further than Body Talk. The condensed, cumulative version of this multi-tiered release is nothing short of an astonishing work of art. Electronic music is fused with mindful and tender themes and motifs, and then somehow immediately discarded for edgy, bold crassness that never feels more welcome. Robyn understands the science of pop music: we think we have the genre well-defined, but she knows that what we love about pop music is quite fickle. She channels that understanding through the eclectic variety of songs that give a completely different, but equally valid definition of perfect pop music. One would listen to “Dancing On My Own” and decide that it’s the perfect pop song (and it is), but then a change over to “Criminal Intent” or “Fembot” and you’re stuck in a conundrum. It’s the best example of what makes pop music so infectious and ever-growing: it comes in all shapes and sizes. But the bottom line seems to be that Robyn somehow nails every kind.

14 -- STRIPPED, Christina Aguilera (2002)

Christina_Aguilera-Stripped-Frontal.jpg

The beauty of Stripped is that, unlike an album like Justified, what it represents is worth so much more than the individual songs could ever muster. The album creates an archetype that’s so unique to a moment in a person’s life when he or she is finally un-caged. There’s an unleveled amount of catharsis that’s felt through the album on behalf of the artist, and the listener can’t help but feel that Aguilera painstakingly bore her soul for its creation. With so much to say, prove and clarify, the album can easily come off as unfocused or scatter-brained, but oddly enough it’s its unfocused nature that makes it such a believable record; a piece of art is never perfect, especially not in the eyes of the artist. But with all the motivation, blood, sweat, tears and heart that were tirelessly funneled into its creation, and beneath all the glaring flaws that the process can catalyze, you can’t help but give the final product an unapologetic amount of respect. Stripped could have easily not come to fruition, and Aguilera could have much more easily followed the already monstrous upward trajectory that her debut carved for her. Instead, she carves out an untested trajectory of her own, and in the process fends off the avalanche of cynicism that naturally comes along with a release like this. A lot of credit needs to be given to Aguilera, because for all of her shortcomings as an auteur or marketer, she was still the one who shattered the glass ceiling for the modern pop female. Madonna forcefully gave herself expressive leeway that the public applied to her and her only; Stripped gave it to everyone else. Rihanna and Lady Gaga need to pay their dues.

Brightest moments: Beautiful, Fighter, The Voice Within

13 -- COME ON OVER, Shania Twain (1998)

normal_Shania_Twain_-_Come_On_Over-front.jpg

The queen of pop crossover, Shania Twain crafts an album that seems too big for any single genre. Filled with timeless classics from start to finish, Come On Over takes the best characteristics of country music (smart evocative lyricism) and the best of pop music (approachability and a good hook) and fuses them together with perfect science. With this album, Shania crafted a sound and appeal that Taylor Swift has tried to re-capture, but there’s a fundamental difference between the two artists. The difference is that Shania Twain’s music doesn’t make a listener feel like he or she is above it; a curse that Taylor Swift has been trying to combat since her pop emergence. There’s a whimsical spirit to every song that isn’t a ballad, and every ballad has timeless chord progressions that are still being used in pop today. “You’re Still The One” has inspired years’ worth of pop and country incarnations that borrow the very same pacing, lyrical positioning and progressions that the iconic song introduced en masse. Actually, it’s safe to say that Come On Over is one of the most influential albums of all time, and while many of those influential albums have done more harm than good in the long run, there’s no such indication that this album’s legacy will serve the music scene unfavorably.

Brightest Moments: Come On Over, You’re Still The One, When

12 -- BORN THIS WAY, Lady Gaga (2011)

1106190EZ0780780.jpg

Coming off the high of her previous radio-friendly albums, everybody who listened through Born This Way was waiting for something expected to happen. Be it a dubstep breakdown, a feature by a prominent rapper, or a mind-numbing nursery rhyme of a hook ala P-P-P-Poker Face, listeners were expecting something that was uniquely “Gaga” to come out of this music and remind them of why they fell in love with the artist in the first place. What we end up realizing is that Born This Way is exactly the record that Gaga was building her career up to, and in effect, we realize that there is nothing more uniquely “Gaga” than the rambunctious offerings on display with Born This Way. The album is not so reliant on typical radio tropes, and while there’s still the occasional stutter and unnervingly memorable hook, much of the album seems to be concocted out of Lady Gaga’s adoration for the great 80s rock turnover. Production is harsher, louder, more raw. The melodies are more static and repetitive, but admittedly timeless. The vocals are riddled with Bob Dylan swagger and seem to follow a great deal of chords popularized by Kiss (the pre-chorus to “Hair” comes to mind here). The highly politicized content struggles to find a perfect middle in between subtle genius and preachy pandering. Its polarizing nature and blaring flaws are actually what make it such a powerful record, and bring to mind the experimental periods of rock n roll that pissed off half the population and inspired the other. Whether you found inspiration in Born This Way or not, two points will always ring true: that history will elect this album as the official soundtrack to one of our great social movements, and that Born This Way cements all validity in the fact that Lady Gaga is our last great rock star.

Brightest moments: Marry The Night, The Edge of Glory, You and I

11 -- MISS E... SO ADDICTIVE, Missy Elliott (2001)

42276-miss_e_so_addictive.jpg

Missy Elliott’s third album is one of the most revolutionary releases in hip-hop history, and its approachability made it both an easy crossover into pop and a mainstream darling post-release. What makes So Addictive so spectacular is its relentless energy and its progressive spirit. It’s one of the most unadulteratedly fun albums ever, but it doesn’t sacrifice quality and credence for loudness and bass. She channels the popular and emerging music trends at the time (instrumentals with mid-east influence, bass over treble, etc.) without making the music feel static in time or fad-ish. Instead, she creates a timeless work of art that’s as substantial as it is hilariously, stupidly fun. If you've never listened to So Addictive, simply look to the album title to get a good understanding of what's in store.

Brightest moments: Get Ur Freak On, One Minute Man, 4 My People

ALBUMS 10-6 COMING SOON. WILL YOUR FAVE MAKE IT??

OMG NO! Waffy are you jumping the Ke$ha ship? I cry.

I'll live, though, almost.

Just never jump the Kelly Clarkson and Florence + The Machine ship. Oh, and definitely join the ARTPOP ship. She is going to be unsinkable, unlike the Rihtanic.
Diamonds is still a m'fricken bop, though.

I'll try to stick in there for ya sis!

I am also still on the Kelly/Florence ship as well.

ARTPOP? 100% completely and totally dependent on the music and music video's. I will either be a mega stan after its release or I will drag her for filth.

@gossip girl talk

I think I made it to season 3/4 before I quit. Not sure why I lost interest.....

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I'm sorry, Soulscribe, I've only been able to skim your list so far. Can you define "modern" for me in terms of how old an album can be to make your list?

Cynosure

I was immediately appalled Stripped wasn't top 5

then I read this

Madonna forcefully gave herself expressive leeway that the public applied to her and her only; Stripped gave it to everyone else. Rihanna and Lady Gaga need to pay their dues.

ibaGB6OVQZD6An.gif

royalan

ScreenShot2012-12-17at53836PM_zps4083bea0.png

Previous Entries:
Albums 50-41
Albums 40-31
Albums 30-21

16 -- LOVE, ANGEL, MUSIC, BABY, Gwen Stefani (2004)

Gwen_Stefani_-_Love.Angel.Music.Baby_[Front].jpg

Consider the facts: Following an upward trajectory of success for No Doubt, Gwen Stefani decides to ditch the band’s momentum and create a series of pop records through her own name. Instead of putting a stop-gap into No Doubt’s relevance by focusing on an alt-pop sound that would diffuse No Doubt fans into her solo camp, she does a complete 180 and finds a voice in a new genre, leaving her band’s legacy (and future prospects) unscathed. It’s an incredibly bold gesture that we don’t see much of, and while a singer like Fergie went a bit bubblier in her one solo stint, she still relied heavily on the production and stylings of Will.I.Am to stay huddled under that umbrella. Gwen scatters off into the world of pristine art-pop that struts the fine line between tongue-in-cheekery and bold avante-garde sound. Love, Angel, Music, Baby doesn’t take itself terribly seriously, and the songs on the album generally paint a colorful, surrealist picture that’s easy on the ears and immensely satisfying for pop fans. Every song on L.A.M.B is unimaginatively charming, and iconic pop moments like “What You Waiting For” are riddled with esoteric lyrics that are smarter than they appear. The intelligence of L.A.M.B is not in spite of its two-inches-deep lyricism, but it’s the way Gwen Stefani channels shallow-sounding lyrics with a wink and a nudge that seem to insinuate something more. And that’s the finest way to describe a record like this: It’s a (flawless) pop event, but it’s worth so much more than most of its peers. Gwen manages to find pop nirvana consistently through L.A.M.B, and its archetype will no doubt be used as a model for high quality pop down the road.

Brightest moments: What You Waiting For, Rich Girl, Hollaback Girl   

14 -- STRIPPED, Christina Aguilera (2002)

Christina_Aguilera-Stripped-Frontal.jpg

The beauty of Stripped is that, unlike an album like Justified, what it represents is worth so much more than the individual songs could ever muster. The album creates an archetype that’s so unique to a moment in a person’s life when he or she is finally un-caged. There’s an unleveled amount of catharsis that’s felt through the album on behalf of the artist, and the listener can’t help but feel that Aguilera painstakingly bore her soul for its creation. With so much to say, prove and clarify, the album can easily come off as unfocused or scatter-brained, but oddly enough it’s its unfocused nature that makes it such a believable record; a piece of art is never perfect, especially not in the eyes of the artist. But with all the motivation, blood, sweat, tears and heart that were tirelessly funneled into its creation, and beneath all the glaring flaws that the process can catalyze, you can’t help but give the final product an unapologetic amount of respect. Stripped could have easily not come to fruition, and Aguilera could have much more easily followed the already monstrous upward trajectory that her debut carved for her. Instead, she carves out an untested trajectory of her own, and in the process fends off the avalanche of cynicism that naturally comes along with a release like this. A lot of credit needs to be given to Aguilera, because for all of her shortcomings as an auteur or marketer, she was still the one who shattered the glass ceiling for the modern pop female. Madonna forcefully gave herself expressive leeway that the public applied to her and her only; Stripped gave it to everyone else. Rihanna and Lady Gaga need to pay their dues.

Brightest moments: Beautiful, Fighter, The Voice Within

in1hawhlpV5wP.jpg

Perfect write-ups, sis. ;____;

I'm sorry, Soulscribe, I've only been able to skim your list so far. Can you define "modern" for me in terms of how old an album can be to make your list?

I'm defining it as post-Spice Girls. Don't ask me why, lol

EDIT: Thanks for the responses everyone! Even Nemesis ;__;

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I'm defining it as post-Spice Girls. Don't ask me why, lol

EDIT: Thanks for the responses everyone! Even Nemesis <3
Ah, ok. I was asking because I was very curious to see where Janet's "Rhythm Nation" would end up falling...but it was before your list's time.

Mumei

While I was at the B&N, I was flipping through Harper's and saw an interesting article about Prince called I Am Your Conscious, I Am Love: A Paean 2 Prince that is only available to print subscribers. Rob, you should go read it!

I also saw an article about Michael Jackson in The New Yorker that is also unavailable, but the abstract has the gist of what it is about:

The New Yorker said:
ABSTRACT: BOOKS about the musician Michael Jackson, and a new biography, “Untouchable: The Strange Life and Tragic Death of Michael Jackson,” by Randall Sullivan. These days, waist-deep in the defiant hip-hop era, it’s easy to forget the nineteen-fifties, when black artists, held back, in various ways, from the new pop America, looked on as white performers appropriated their music and took it to the masses. Artists in niche market always dream of “crossing over” and making it big in the mainstream. Michael Jackson, whose 1982 album “Thriller” remains the best-selling record in history, fulfilled this ambition more spectacularly than any black performer before or since. Jackson started on the outside. He was born into a working-class family in Gary, Indiana, in 1958. His father, Joseph Jackson, had been in a rhythm-and-blues band, the Falcons, and he channelled his thwarted creative aspirations into his children. The Jackson 5 played everywhere, from supermarkets to strip clubs. Order was maintained with a regimen of beatings and whippings, and, later, at the motels they shared, Michael saw his father disappearing with new female acquaintances, and pretended to sleep when his older brothers brought groupies back to the rooms they shared. The Jackson 5 landed an audition for Motown Records, in 1968. The label had perfected the art of crossover; Berry Gordy’s label’s charm school molded and dressed the artists, and kept their images clean. The group’s first four singles went to No. 1. In 1979, Jackson’s début as an adult solo artist, “Off the Wall,” went multiplatinum; his next album, “Thriller,” spawned seven top ten hit singles and remained number one on the Billboard album chart for thirty-seven weeks. One of the cruelties of stardom is that you never know when you’ve reached your apogee. For Jackson, decline set in almost as soon as “Thriller” fell out of the No. 1 spot, in April, 1984. Sullivan’s biography details thoroughly both the bad decisions that led Jackson to ruin and the increasingly foggy world from which he made them. Jackson, perhaps seeking to erase from his body the face of the father who beat him, underwent multiple plastic surgeries. He fell out of step with the world of pop music, which, with the rise of hip-hop, had embraced black musicians who were proudly black, and decidedly uningratiating to whites. His experiments in sexual liminality were troubling; he fell deep into debt through staggering financial profligacy and wrongheadedness. Perhaps the greatest, most persistent source of torment in Jackson’s life was his family; once they realized that they had a golden goose in their midst, the Jacksons resorted to all manner of emotional blackmail to leverage Michael’s disproportionate appeal for their own benefit. Jackson may well have been the most successful entertainer ever, but there’s little doubt that he lost something self-defining along the way. Includes many details about Jackson’s music, personal habits, and death.

If you are interested in either Michael or Prince, you might want to give them a read~

Cynosure

just 2 things to nitpick

Walk Away is far superior to The Voice Within

and Cool is the absolute best song in not only L.A.M.B but Gwen's entire discography. It seems you are only highlighting the singles for most albums.

iEzh94NAbNfPj.gif

Kelly dragging again? Seriously?

You know what, I'm not even pressed. My fave can out sing everyone in the game. Stay mad, seethe, gargle with that mouth wash.

I'll try to stick in there for ya sis!

I am also still on the Kelly/Florence ship as well.

ARTPOP? 100% completely and totally dependent on the music and music video's. I will either be a mega stan after its release or I will drag her for filth.
Waffy, I stan for you. Seriously. <3

just 2 things to nitpick

Walk Away is far superior to The Voice Within

and Cool is the absolute best song in not only L.A.M.B but Gwen's entire discography. It seems you are only highlighting the singles for most albums.

iEzh94NAbNfPj.gif

Hahaha, if I put in four recommendations instead of three, both of those would have made it in. Spookily accurate 0_0

Also I like The Voice Within more than Walk Away personally, but I understand where you're coming from.

Why am I the chubby person?

Why does Arte look so shady? oh.

Lol

Mine is super derpy looking. Trade ya!

Kelly dragging again? Seriously?

You know what, I'm not even pressed. My fave can out sing everyone in the game. Stay mad, seethe, gargle with that mouth wash.

Waffy, I stan for you. Seriously. <3

They just pressed that Kelly could drag their fav's through the mud talent wise and in terms of quality music. I don't legitimize their inferior opinions with responses anymore.

<3

2rxGC.gif

They just pressed that Kelly could drag their fav's through the mud talent wise and in terms of quality music. I don't legitimize their inferior opinions with responses anymore.

<3

2rxGC.gif
Tell em! I don't even know why I bothered. I just felt like taking up for my fave.

Those 1D gifs are too cute, btw. <3

botty

Banned
If you are interested in either Michael or Prince, you might want to give them a read~

I'm sure it will be an interesting read, but it doesn't sound like it will tell me anything new.

And I think quotes like these:

Jackson, perhaps seeking to erase from his body the face of the father who beat him, underwent multiple plastic surgeries.

His experiments in sexual liminality were troubling; he fell deep into debt through staggering financial profligacy and wrongheadedness.

Would probably make me want to avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom