• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

I DEMAND WE REDO THE NOMINATIONS

Vote Lana Del Rey.
icTR3UhwFJgPm.gif

Mau ®

The #Navy knew none of Rih's albums would make Scribe's list. We, however, respect Scribe's list and have nothing but love for him.

We're more than satisfied Rih is topping Billboard's lists to be bothered with anything else tbh.

DMeisterJ

Banned
KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII @ You trying to hide behind Befraudcé after ALL of Rih's albums were paid Dat Pure Martian DUST.

kiiii at you thinking I'm bothered by it. Scribe already said how he felt about Rih's albums long ago and in his Unapologetic review. He feels the urban side of her drags the albums down, so I was never walking in expecting any of them to be on his list. Not that it matters because I don't need validation in liking her albums. I know it's hard for Xtuna fans to understand that since they're universally disliked (and universally not bought as well if we look at Bionic and LOTUS). So bye.

Nemesis_

What kind of redemption with the Top 5.

ibdjmAGHanZAPk.gif

B'Day is the only one I'm iffy about, but I suppose if that's the album that ended up solidifying Beyoka, its placement makes sense.
or daddy bought that spot.

The Blackout description was immaculate, especially the acknowledgement of how context elevates the album into legendary status.

TFM shouldn't have been so low though

ibiaWsKvRwq7oN.gif

botty

Banned
Damn, none of Rihanna's albums made his list?

I mean... I know none of her albums are culturally defining, artistically impressive, or display an ounce of talent, but I thought Loud was pretty good.

DMeisterJ

Banned
i will never forget this, popgaf

Well, you can remember it like you remember her, M.I.A., and Smellie, but the rest of POP-GAF have already forgotten.

Who are we talking about again?

Damn, none of Rihanna's albums made his list?

I mean... I know none of her albums are culturally defining, artistically impressive, or display an ounce of talent, but I thought Loud was pretty good.

I could make a Top 7 list and list all of her albums if it makes you feel better, but why does it really matter what someone thinks of someone's else's albums? I mean, no shade to Scribe, but does it really matter it didn't make his list? It's moreso just for discussion than actually mattering. But I see the Xtuna stans making a mountain out of a mole hill. Let's try to divert the attention away from the sinking ship that is her career.

Koodo

Banned
TFM shouldn't have been so low though

ibiaWsKvRwq7oN.gif
Indeed. Bad Romance alone merits an inclusion in the Top 10 as it has been one of the most culturally significant moments in pop of the 21st century; but I suppose the scribe-sis can be pardoned for this mistake.

iPeErsMbqUySp.gif

Majmun

Fiona's Idle Wheel is a tough one. I think I've listened to it over 10 times.

I tried to like it, but no, I can't bop to that.

Koodo

Banned
Why are the xsphincters coming for Rihfund's albums? Are they pretending their fave has defecated anything better than Rated R?
iiMCJMtWo3lC.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
The best thing about the Periods coming for Rih's albums is that Rih at least will have a few more attempts at releasing albums and making a top list... What record label is going to foot the bill for Xtuna's next album after two flops?

kiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

botty

Banned
The best thing about the cutters coming for Rih's albums is that Rih at least will have a few more attempts at releasing albums and making a top list... What record label is going to foot the bill for Xtuna's next album after two flops?

kiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

ZHx6h.gif

Artemisia

Banned
The best thing about the cutters coming for Rih's albums is that Rih at least will have a few more attempts at releasing albums and making a top list... What record label is going to foot the bill for Xtuna's next album after two flops?

kiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

i eagerly anticipate the day xtina is dropped from her label

Mau ®

iWkaQ45Nwf4br.gif

1D-GAF appreciates the vote nonetheless.

Rih topped several of my lists. *.*

I knew it ever since Marius said you were a "mess".

Im glad you're enjoying this new Rih era. The #Navy will be honored to have you on our team if you ever decide on joining. *.*

ZHx6h.gif

Mau ®

I hope you were lucid.

iyqUDC7uCVUTn.gif

Ch...

I dont drive when Im high.

iyqUDC7uCVUTn.gif

One time my brother had to pick me up at a HEB because I got so high and I couldnt drive back home (which was 3 mins away tops)

nnnnnnnnnn that sounds worse than it actually was kiiii

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE FEEDBACK SISTREN!!! I put way more effort into writing than I thought I would have (or probably should have) but it makes me feel nice when I read the responses <3

Koodo said:
Indeed. Bad Romance alone merits an inclusion in the Top 10 as it has been one of the most culturally significant moments in pop of the 21st century; but I suppose the scribe-sis can be pardoned for this mistake.

Yeah, I think Bad Romance is one of the biggest pop songs of the last 10 years, but I personally don't think it's so much culturally significant as it is the perfect model in how to emerge onto the pop scene. I think its success is a testament to Gaga's ability to inspire and the golden potential of her prospective career, but I don't necessarily think it's revolutionary in its content. I think the success of Bad Romance is what kept The Fame Monster in my top 20 list; even though it's in my PERSONAL top 5 for pop, I tend to give it more credit for putting Gaga on the map than for setting massive cultural trends. It definitely inspired people to be more like Gaga, but that's due moreso to the fashion and controversial performances than the songs themselves. I do think that Born This Way will have more cultural significance down the line however.

DMeisterJ said:
I could make a Top 7 list and list all of her albums if it makes you feel better, but why does it really matter what someone thinks of someone's else's albums? I mean, no shade to Scribe, but does it really matter it didn't make his list? It's moreso just for discussion than actually mattering. But I see the Xtuna stans making a mountain out of a mole hill. Let's try to divert the attention away from the sinking ship that is her career.

Haha, I had originally made a top 65 to have a bigger pool of choices so that I can make a better list, and both Loud and Good Girl Gone Bad were in there. So were Born To Die and The Fame. But yeah I do think that Rihanna's albums are less effective in their quality than the choice singles she releases, and that if she had a record that somehow included half or most of her best material (like Blackout, Born This Way or Futuresex/LoveSounds do), then it would be pretty damn high on my list. Actually it would probably be top 11-20 material.

Imagine if she had a single album that included at least 5 of the following:

- Umbrella
- Don't Stop The Music
- Russian Roulette
- Rude Boy
- S&M
- Only Girl (In The World)
- Man Down
- We Found Love
- Where Have You Been
- Diamonds

Then yes that album would chart. But Rih stans already have the real charts for themselves, so meh.

tumblr_mcvk23t1wC1qhm6vbo1_500.gif

Even if I disagreed with much of it, I loved the album descriptions.

They were written so eloquently that I almost started believing that Britney deserves to be in the Top 50 of anything.

tumblr_lm9yan5cDO1qjk0rio1_500.gif

Artemisia

Banned
why is safe and sound crossed out on the ballot?

it was never released to radio and was never a single

the official single from the hunger games soundtrack was eyes open, also by taylor swift.

Mumei

Not Jhud cutting her back a few moments later.

6d24cef9.gif

edit: you couldn't even hear beyonce at the end.

JHud has a heavier voice so that's normally to be expected. The point is that Beyonce's technique in the upper belt is sufficiently better (in spite of her lighter voice) that she can cut through JHud on the same note because of her resonance. JHud does have the bigger voice.

I hate when all the music people are talking in this thread, because I can't understand it, but I love it because it's so fascinating to me. idek wat a C5 or what the '#' signs mean, but I like when you try to clock each other's faves with videos of these numbers and letters sprawled across the screen.

#raaaaaaaaaaaaandom

Oh, the numbers are pretty easy. In scientific pitch notation, each octave goes:

C-D-E-F-G-A-B

And after that, the next octave restarts at C. Between all of these besides B - C and E - F, there is a "&#9839;" (sharp, usually just typed as "#" because I'm lazy)) and a &#9837; (flat, usually typed as "b" because I'm still lazy).

So an 88 key piano has:

A0 B&#9837;0 B0
C1 C&#9839;1 D1 E&#9837;1 E1 F1 F&#9839;1 G1 G&#9839;1 A B&#9837;1 B1
C2 C&#9839;2 D2 E&#9837;2 E2 F2 F&#9839;2 G2 G&#9839;2 A B&#9837;2 B2
C3 C&#9839;3 D3 E&#9837;3 E3 F3 F&#9839;3 G3 G&#9839;3 A B&#9837;3 B3
C4 C&#9839;4 D4 E&#9837;4 E4 F4 F&#9839;4 G4 G&#9839;4 A B&#9837;4 B4
C5 C&#9839;5 D5 E&#9837;5 E5 F5 F&#9839;5 G5 G&#9839;5 A B&#9837;5 B5
C6 C&#9839;6 D6 E&#9837;6 E6 F6 F&#9839;6 G6 G&#9839;6 A B&#9837;6 B6
C7 C&#9839;7 D7 E&#9837;7 E7 F7 F&#9839;7 G7 G&#9839;7 A B&#9837;7 B7
C8

Each letter + number refers to the note and the octave the note occurs in, from that you can find out the frequency of the note. For example, a Tenor C (C5) is 523.25 Hz - which means that your vocal folds have to vibrate 523.5 times per second in order to hit a C5.

So if we say Barbra Streisand has a range of B2 - D6, we are in essence saying that she is able to sing from 123.47 to 1174.7 Hz.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
3 hours till closing

Aguila
Artemisia
B-Dex
Bladenic
botty
cory64
Crumpet Trumpet
Cynosure
DMeisterJ