• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
Prepare your kwikweaves. 5.06.13

ijAkObVdz8PWa.gif

Cynosure

you know both she and Xtina were signed and prepping their iconiC debuts at around the same time.

Broken Spearit's debut wouldn't have been nearly as iconic if it weren't for Legend X. Their past history together and the media's relentless comparison inadvertently made Broken Spearit seem talented. The haggard wreck was nothing but an ordinary girl-next-door back up dancer marketed very well. There are millions like her, but there's only one voice per generation.

Broken Spearit owes her career to Legend X. She had the spotlight all to herself up until Christina stole it. Her career went to overdrive the day her one and only major grammy was snatched from her as a last minute decision; single after single, video after video, album after album, appearance after appearance. All that eventually led her to literally burn out.
It’s no coincidence that around the exact time she died inside, the other two mousketeers were at the height of their careers.

To this day, she has yet to recover. Her fans can’t tell you a single thing she did since her breakdown that they’re proud of.
And all because she couldn't keep up with #theLastsuccessfulLatina

Makes the Back to Basics era that much more special
vGHEB.gif

tumblr_m6xswbM0ui1qcipavo2_500.gif

tumblr_m6xswbM0ui1qcipavo3_500.gif

IVjheiq.gif

royalan

A 4th grader's perspective on gay marriage:

7fd6bb02-1119-4680-951b-6e2168c25632_kids-gay-marriage-essay.jpg

Did he lie?

And do I detect a little sass and reading in that essay? Future PopGAF member, tbh.

Broken Spearit's debut wouldn't have been nearly as iconic if it weren't for Legend X. Their past history together and the media's relentless comparison inadvertently made Broken Spearit seem talented. The haggard wreck was nothing but an ordinary girl-next-door back up dancer marketed very well. There are millions like her, but there's only one voice per generation.

Broken Spearit owes her career to Legend X. She had the spotlight all to herself up until Christina stole it. Her career went to overdrive the day her one and only major grammy was snatched from her as a last minute decision; single after single, video after video, album after album, appearance after appearance. All that eventually led her to literally burn out.
It’s no coincidence that around the exact time she died inside, the other two mousketeers were at the height of their careers.

To this day, she has yet to recover. Her fans can’t tell you a single thing she did since her breakdown that they’re proud of.

Makes the Back to Baics era that much more special

vGHEB.gif

iq81NtG1gu7d0.gif

Why Kelly Clarkson fans should be able to listen to her music is you can't stop 2 adults from listening to Kelly Clarkson because there grown and it doesn't matter if it creeps you out just get over it. And you should be happy for them because it's a big moment in their life. When I went to my grandparents Kelly Clarkson listening party, it was the happiest moment.

As you can see Kelly Clarkson fans should have the right to listen to her music and you shouldn't judge other peoples lives because if you was a Kelly Clarkson fan you wouldn't want people talking about you.

Bladenic

Why Kelly Clarkson fans should be able to listen to her music is you can't stop 2 adults from listening to Kelly Clarkson because there grown and it doesn't matter if it creeps you out just get over it. And you should be happy for them because it's a big moment in their life. When I went to my grandparents Kelly Clarkson listening party, it was the happiest moment.

As you can see Kelly Clarkson fans should have the right to listen to her music and you shouldn't judge other peoples lives because if you was a Kelly Clarkson fan you wouldn't want people talking about you.

Why Alicia Keys fans should be able to listen to homewreckers is you can't stop 2 adults from listening to Alicia Keys because there grown and it doesn't matter if it creeps you out just get over it. And you should be happy for them because it's a big moment in their life. When I went to my grandparents Alicia Keys homewrecking party, it was the happiest moment.

As you can see Alicia Keys fans should have the right to like homewreckers and you shouldn't judge other peoples lives because if you was a homewrecker you wouldn't want people talking about you.

Trigger

Why Alicia Keys fans should be able to listen to homewreckers is you can't stop 2 adults from listening to Alicia Keys because there grown and it doesn't matter if it creeps you out just get over it. And you should be happy for them because it's a big moment in their life. When I went to my grandparents Alicia Keys homewrecking party, it was the happiest moment.

As you can see Alicia Keys fans should have the right to like homewreckers and you shouldn't judge other peoples lives because if you was a homewrecker fan you wouldn't want people talking about you.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

sek2ldf.gif

PowderedToast

jhnsjkdhahahaha

botty

Banned
Yes, really worried about Legend X.

Still waiting for her to clock 300k copies of Lotus sold.

A receipt stan would only see numbers in a conversation about legacy, and talent.

IVjheiq.gif

Makes the Back to Basics era that much more special
vGHEB.gif

IVjheiq.gif

Where is the lie?

itFaN4VZC64F2.gif

Mau ®

Make no mistake #Fighters...Shitney is very much X's superior. Even in her delicate, useless state people still prefer Shitney to Legend X.

itFaN4VZC64F2.gif

royalan

Make no mistake #Fighters...Shitney is very much X's superior. Even in her delicate, useless state people still prefer Shitney to Legend X.

itFaN4VZC64F2.gif

I'm going to predict that won't be the case very long.

I'm too lazy to dig up the post, but remember a few months ago (around the time you were high on something and handing out prophecies for all our faves), I said that, as bad as things were getting for Xtina, the one silver-lining to be had was that she was setting herself up for the perfect comeback? That America loves a great comeback story and that all it would take is a series of good things to happen to Christina for all that negativity to turn into an underdog, getting-her-groove-back story?

I think it's beginning. There's been a small wave of incredibly good press bubbling up for Christina with these last few appearances, and all she did was lose a little weight.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual

Crawl back under that bridge, troll.

Koodo

Banned
I'm going to predict that won't be the case very long.
You were the same person who predicted Xtincta:

1. Built a cache of positive press during her tenure in The Voice, which became blatantly false given the sheer jubilation and soaring ratings after her exit.
2. Would use the aforementioned "cache" to kickstart her career back into relevance, which resulted in Lotus.

Time to stop making predictions, sis.

ibpKsy1nnEwjkE.gif

A comeback story won't happen when the struggles are related to the buying public pressing the DISMISSED button, twice.

Or thrice, really. That greatest hits era was incredibly embarrassing too.

royalan

You were the same person who predicted Xtincta:

1. Built a cache of positive press during her tenure in The Voice, which became blatantly false given the sheer jubilation and soaring ratings after her exit.
2. Would use the aforementioned "cache" to kickstart her career back into relevance, which resulted in Lotus.

Time to stop making predictions, sis.

ibpKsy1nnEwjkE.gif

A comeback story won't happen when the struggles are related to the buying public pressing the DISMISSED button, twice.

Or thrice, really. That greatest hits era was incredibly embarrassing too.

Hey! #1 is still up in the air. They confirmed this week that Xtina's coming back to the show next season.

#2...well...there were some unforeseen...things...this era...ahem

ANYWAY. People are acknowledging that she looks FIERCE again. If she can build on that with good music that she actually PROMOTES, I could see a comeback happening. *.*

Trigger

Royalan cursing ha fave.
wQZoHRz.gif

I won't lie though. I still use a few songs from Lotus. Xtina isn't a complete lost hope if she made a better effort.

royalan

Lotus has her most marketable tracks. Imagine how hard Your Body and LTBL would have slayed if this bad bitch was selling it

if0SE4ABrMmTr.gif

Sis what do you think of her new figure!?

I love that sheer dresstina in that pic, but I think I really love where she is right now. She's back to the weight she was right after she gave birth to Max.

I think Curvytina is my fave. ;___;

Cynosure

Sis what do you think of her new figure!?

I love that sheer dresstina in that pic, but I think I really love where she is right now. She's back to the weight she was right after she gave birth to Max.

I think Curvytina is my fave. ;___;

I'll always be partial to BabyJane/SpearitBreaker
but I get why you and straight men like Curvytina best, I love her too
vGHEB.gif

CL6ce.jpg

orangedress.gif

ioTJEdnSHIdbh.gif

Mau ®

Roy you should read this comparison between Ke$ha's documentary and Bey's Life is but a dream. I thought of you through the whole read *.*

What Beyoncé Could Learn From Ke$ha: How to Actually Humanize a Pop Star
Ke$ha's new MTV documentary My Crazy Beautiful Life shows its subject doing something Beyoncé's video autobiography Life Is but a Dream never did: failing.
ASHLEY FETTERSAPR 24 2013, 12:57 PM ET
More
HBO; MTV

In an interview promoting My Crazy Beautiful Life, the new six-part MTV docu-series about the glittery adventures of hard-partying pop star Ke$ha, the singer told USA Today this week that, "There are lots of things in this TV show that I don't think most people would want out there of themselves, honestly."

As the first episode unfolded, I couldn't help but think back to the last pop-music nonfiction film that got people talking: Beyoncé's Life Is but a Dream. And I suddenly understood just how right Ke$ha was.

RELATED STORY

Why Ke$ha's New Memoir Is 2012's Answer to The Feminine Mystique
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Beyoncé's movie is produced, directed, narrated, and starred in by the Queen Bey herself (who's famously insistent on maintaining air-tight image control), while Ke$ha's is directed by her affectionate but keenly observant older brother Lagan, a former video journalist for the Financial Times. Maybe it has everything to do with that. But My Crazy Beautiful Life unflinchingly explores a universal phenomenon Life Is but a Dream didn't dare touch: failure. Life Is but a Dream depicts its subject as a well-oiled machine of a human who's always the most powerful person in the room. My Crazy Beautiful Life, though, doesn't turn its gaze away from Ke$ha at the moments when she feels rejected, humiliated, ashamed, targeted, or powerless—and so far, it's a braver, more believable documentary for it.

Beyoncé and Ke$ha are, of course, different personalities with vastly different aesthetics—Beyoncé poised, regal, and diligently gracious, Ke$ha spontaneous and bawdy. But Life is But a Dream and what we've seen thus far of My Crazy Beautiful Life find them doing many of the same things: traveling, rehearsing, performing, primping, giving interviews, and talking (sometimes embarrassingly melodramatically) about making music, being in relationships, and the nature of celebrity.

Life Is but a Dream depicts Beyoncé doing all of these things with grace, generosity, and overwhelmingly successful results—a combination that feels at best heartwarming and at worst smug. Nauseated, first-trimester-pregnant Beyoncé makes it through 48 straight hours of rehearsals without complaining and apparently doesn't miss a step, then steals the show at the Billboard Music Awards. Heartbroken Beyoncé overcomes the tragedy of a miscarriage by stepping into the studio, singing from her heart, and laying down what she calls the best song she's ever written. Tabloid-maligned Beyoncé disapproves of the fact that celebrity pregnancies are gossip fodder, but she's risen above it. And when bad things happen to Beyoncé, they are never Beyoncé's fault. They are, without fail, external disturbances that Beyoncé can and does overcome with her trademark I'm-a-survivor fortitude.

It's not that Beyoncé's moments of triumph aren't inspiring. They are. But without any visual evidence that sometimes Beyoncé fails, or flubs up, or says something she'll regret, or isn't the wisest, most noble person in the room, her glowing win-after-win montage starts to blur into one megawatt superhuman highlight reel of a life that's too victorious to bear any resemblance to those of her mere mortal fans'.

My Crazy Beautiful Life, on the other hand, makes clear early (and often) that Ke$ha wins some, loses some, and doesn't always take the high road.

Sometimes, Ke$ha's failures are the kinds she laughs at. In the first five minutes of the premiere, Ke$ha attempts a cartwheel onstage and botches it spectacularly. She then loses her balance and flails to the ground again while merrily retelling the story backstage, then snorts at the memory when she reads about her tumble in a New York Times review the next morning. Later, she shares an oh-poor-us chuckle with a friend when a hot guy whose eye they've been trying to catch fails to notice them.

Other not-so-proud moments aren't as cute, or as easily laughed off. Upon returning to her old neighborhood in Los Angeles, Ke$ha insists on taking a stealthy night drive past the home of her ex-boyfriend Harold. She makes a vomiting noise as she explains bitterly that Harold lives there with his new girlfriend, expresses dread that he's making out with her right there inside the house, and sighs, "Well, that was unsuccessful," while driving away. She's failed to move on—a humiliating, sadly familiar experience that unites us all.

Ke$ha insists on taking a stealthy night drive past the home of her ex-boyfriend Harold; she makes a vomiting noise as she explains bitterly that Harold lives there with his new girlfriend. She's failed to move on.
Ke$ha's personal insecurities aren't a secret on My Crazy Beautiful Life, either. "Is it nice or is it mean?" she asks her brother apprehensively when he asks if she'd like to see the Times review of her show. She tears up when she talks about the barrage of criticism she's endured at the hands of blogger Perez Hilton, and even when it looks like Hilton's had a change of heart, she remains indignant about keeping him out of her life. There's no magnanimous "I'm over it" here: "I don't want him at my party," she tells her management flatly.

And yet there's also ample footage of Ke$ha charming radio DJs, electrifying audiences onstage, moving some fans to tears, and getting affectionate with a handsome guy in a bar after a show.

So it's not all losing for Ke$ha, but it's not all winning, either.

Where Beyoncé's documentary clings to the narrative that Beyoncé has pushed through her struggles and emerged triumphant, globally beloved, and spiritually at peace, My Crazy Beautiful Life looks like it has thus far resisted the urge to tie a tidy happy ending onto the story of Ke$ha finally becoming a star. And as a result, Lagan Sebert's documentary looks less like a dreamy, sugary fairy tale and more like, well, a real (crazy, beautiful) life.

Mumei

I haven't seen either documentary (.. and really don't have any interest!) but that is an interesting contrast to highlight.

DMeisterJ

Banned
A receipt stan would only see numbers in a conversation about legacy, and talent.

IVjheiq.gif

Of course an Xtuna stan would not look at commercial success when speaking of their fave's career. Much better to talk about 'legacy' (Like Bionic) or 'talent' (like this), than what the buying public actually wants.

Continue to live in your delusions.

IVjheiq.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom