• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
Would Rosie lie? She was one of the many celebrities in attendance at the #DWT last night in NY.

Lil Mo (R&B singer from the days of murder inc) did an interview recently and said people should model their shows after Rihanna's tour. I've been hearing this sentiment a lot, and apparently Rihanna has been delivering a show that is parts rock show, rap show, and pop girl show. Interesting combination, tbh. I might watch the official version when it falls onto youtube some day.

Majmun

Queens Q.U.E.E.N. has finally started to slay me. Can't believe I doubted Janelle.

And I thought Bey was going to release Grown Woman today? Still perched for it tbh
ibqBeH6Wxp1zw1.gif

Trigger

Lil Mo (R&B singer from the days of murder inc) did an interview recently and said people should model their shows after Rihanna's tour. I've been hearing this sentiment a lot, and apparently Rihanna has been delivering a show that is parts rock show, rap show, and pop girl show. Interesting combination, tbh. I might watch the official version when it falls onto youtube some day.

The Unapologetic era has truly been everything. Slayage non-stop.

botty

Banned
The Unapologetic era has truly been everything. Slayage non-stop.

It's a shame the show opens so badly. It should have just been Phresh out the Runway, but she messed it up with some kind of reggae shit. I suppose that appeals to her stans though. Oh, and her vocals are grating in the fan recordings, so I hope they do voice overs or something in the official.

SaintZ

I liked Beautiful too but I also liked Triumphant too so I don't know. I also felt the song was kinda short but it must be because Mariah only sang half of it.

Touchdown

Banned
I liked Beautiful too but I also liked Triumphant too so I don't know. I also felt the song was kinda short but it must be because Mariah only sang half of it.

I can't at Mariah making it short so you would have to play it over and over again.
ed2305b7.png

EDIT:
#22 so quickly ?!!! She's serving
tumblr_md32gpKP3O1qc0btz.gif

#Beautiful is a good song, but it doesn't suit Mariah's voice at all. The instrumental is so grimy and dirty sexy in a good way, so I was hoping Mariah would just forget to show up after Miguel's part.

The song would have been an absolute surefire megalith had someone like Emeli Sande sung it instead. As it is, it's just another pretty but unaffecting vocal.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Call me when Beyonce decides to "leak" Grown Woman to some disreputable radio station the day before it ends up on iTunes.

Just listened through a couple more times. I like it..... and if Suit and Tie can smash then this has a shot as well.

I do wish it had a bigger peak though.

Trigger

Where is the Grown Woman video? I'm not here for all this waiting Bey.

It's a shame the show opens so badly. It should have just been Phresh out the Runway, but she messed it up with some kind of reggae shit. I suppose that appeals to her stans though. Oh, and her vocals are grating in the fan recordings, so I hope they do voice overs or something in the official.

True. I suppose there's always room for improvements.

Artemisia

Banned
Wait, Grown Woman was also supposed to come out today?

'this week'

last week, Vevo netherlands tweeted that the video was coming out this week, and the main vevo twitter recently changed their background to feature beyonce. It's coming tbh.

Nemesis_

What do we all think Beyonce's album will be named (seriously though)?

Well, I guess the only options are "Mrs. Carter" or something else. So which do you all think she will go with?

royalan

Wow...

I actually really like #Beautiful. This is such a chill midtempo summer groove. And it has obvious commercial appeal.

Much better than Triumphant (Flop 'Em).

I do think she should have taken the first verse, though. That alone would have made it sound less like a (feat. Mariah Carey) song. But she's on it enough when she actually starts singing.

Artemisia

Banned
Wow...

I actually really like #Beautiful. This is such a chill midtempo summer groove. And it has obvious commercial appeal.

Much better than Triumphant (Flop 'Em).

I do think she should have taken the first verse, though. That alone would have made it sound less like a (feat. Mariah Carey) song. But she's on it enough when she actually starts singing.

I don't know why, but I get the feeling urban stations will pick the song up because Miguel opens the song. He's a bigger deal than Mariah is now, tbh.

Touchdown

Banned
Even the L.A. Times stanning..
By Randall Roberts May 6, 2013, 9:19 a.m.
This morning I woke up way too early, checked my Twitter and read music critic Maura Johnston confidently declare that Mariah Carey had just released the "song of the summer.” I groaned, rolled over and tried to go back to sleep, filled with a combination of skepticism and dread. After all, the evidence had already piled up against it: The song contains a hashtag, is called “#Beautiful,” and features one of the most overused words in the English language. Silly, trendy and typical, I snobbishly judged -- before hearing even a lick of it. While making coffee a few hours later, the computer stared, headphones laying wait. Would she actually use the word “hashtag” in the lyrics? Would it be about, God forbid, Tweet love? Why would Miguel, one of the best young R&B singers on the scene right now, participate in such nonsense? Mariah and Miguel have now answered, and I’m struggling to adjust Monday to the reality that “#Beautiful” just may be said jam of the summer. Despite the hashtag, and the wariness, “#Beautiful” is as close to a perfect pop song as has been released in 2013. Produced by Miguel and Carey, the track is gritty and vital, filled with a crawling, dirty bass line, a seductive, immediately embeddable guitar melody and just enough tambourine to get the engine running. From the first line, delivered by Miguel, the track takes to the road: “Hop on the back of my bike, let the wind run through your hair,” he sings. Miguel, the San Pedro-born breakout whose “Kaleidoscope Dream” was one of the best albums of 2012, rides away, his girl on his bike, with the charisma of a superstar. They cruise through the night, Miguel crooning about her beauty while he advises her to "let the moonlight kiss your skin." You can almost see a lunar glimmer on the Pacific as they cruise down PCH. Then, finally, Carey responds. “I like when you run red lights, don’t stop till you thrill me,” she sings to the dismay of mothers and traffic cops the world over. She doesn’t even arrive into her own song until it’s a third of the way through, ceding to Miguel’s glorious tone with the confidence of someone who knows she can lift her verse to equal whatever comes her way. When she does, she does so with a seemingly effortless glow. Ceding control to Miguel, she giggles. "Take me anywhere." The song ends at the exact moment it should. No fat: 3 minutes 22 seconds, closing with a rush of layered voices that drift through the ears like a breeze, fading away as though Miguel and Carey have just squeezed the throttle and left the rest of us behind.

Perfection
Oprah-Cry.gif

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. It is good, but not THAT good.

Just because you like a song doesn't make it a "summer jam". The song is nice but there is nothing about it that really speaks to it being a big summer hit imo.

Artemisia

Banned
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. It is good, but not THAT good.

Just because you like a song doesn't make it a "summer jam". The song is nice but there is nothing about it that really speaks to it being a big summer hit imo.

The Mariah stans are already trying to undermine icona pop's slayage ;_;

DMeisterJ

Banned
lbr, the Summer Jam is unfortunately going to be "Right Now" since Rihanna, her power decided to go with that song instead of "Jump"

lbr, the Summer Jam is unfortunately going to be "Right Now" since Rihanna, her power decided to go with that song instead of "Jump"

It'll slay the charts, and then she'll release Jump after that and that'll slay too.

#Navy will remain unphased. Ya'll needn't worry.

The Way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #Beautiful

Will be interesting to see how the two play out on the charts. I won't drag though, because I like both.

botty

Banned
#Beautiful pretty much confirms that Miguel is the true R&B artist the world has been waiting for. This song is such a throwback.

RIP Francis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom